Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Syracuse University is a big school. Because of this it isn't hard to get lost in the crowd. Many of the core classes are in huge lecture halls and teachers have to have multiple TAs to help teach classes. If you don't make an attempt to stick out and talk to your teachers they won't be able to help you. This can make it difficult for students who are the most outgoing such as myself. As always the teachers are there to help you so its really important to get involved and make yourself known.

Social life is one of the aspects that I consider the worst thing about my school. It is not difficult to make friends here; however, there are not many activities to do around campus when you are hanging out with friends. If you want to do anything, you would have to go downtown or off campus, but that is not always possible, especially when you do not have a car. Life can get somewhat boring on the weekends when you have nowehere to go and nothing to do. It is a bit suffocating at times.

The worst part about Syracuse University is the weather. During the fall and winter it is very cold and is often raining or snowing. It is uncomfortable walking to class in the rain and the snow and ice make it difficult. When walking to class I really have to bundle up in many layers which is annoying once I get to class and the classroom is hot. I have to take off most of my layers and there is no where to put coats and scarves and gloves that won't get everything else wet.

The worst thing about Syracuse I would definitely say is the weather, which is something that obviously can't be changed or influenced. After so many months of snow and cold a general depression seems to loom over students but as soon as spring comes the morale is lifted considerably. Besides that, I would say the cost and expenses of the school are a downer, as it makes it very difficult for middle class families to afford without extensive loans and debt.

The worst thing for Syracuse University is the method used for dining. As a student progresses, there are more meal plan choices and varieties, but as a freshman, we are required to have one of three dining hall meal plans. Although lump sums might be easier to process, it is perturbing to "waste" an entire dining hall meal swipe just for a bowl of cereal or a small salad. Most students have fourteen meals a week, so to balance it out is a difficult task.

Everyone is the SAME. Atleast for the most part all the girls dress the same, act the same, and talk the same way. I don't. Thus, I don't fit in. Because I refuse to conform I get strange looks for say, wearing jeans instead of leggings and not having a blackberry, and being Catholic instead of Jewish. Not only this but all the girls are stuck in some kind of high school mentality with all the drama nonsense, which I hate and refuse to participate in.

The students tend to put a big emphasis on socializing - if you're looking for an institution that is heavy on academics, certain programs, such as the architecture, business, and pre-law are very academic-oriented and usually have more serious students. Most other students are big on parties, sporting events, and the extracurriculars, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but more often than not, abundant alcohol is the focal point of socializing.

This is a rather odd and hard question to answer. The worst thing about Syracuse University, in my opinion, would probably be the cold winters. I come from California, so this was the first time I was ever in the snow. The city of Syracuse can be very different from campus. There’s almost a line that separates the campus and the city. Thus, when there is no school, the city is a bit dry. Nonetheless, Syracuse University is a great institution!

The worst thing would involve the athletes. Since the school seems to be very in thier sports, athletes seem to get more privileges then regular students. They get offered many things that other students don't get such as free tutors. There are handful of athletes that take advantage of their opportunity and dont do anything but cruise through school, while any other student would be more than happy to receive the same benefits they have.

The worst thing about my school is the area surrounding it. While downtown Syracuse offers some interesting places to go to, (restaurants, bars, record stores) there is simply not enough to get me to go down there all that often. As a result, you must be absolutely secure in the fact that staying on campus for the majority of your college life won't be a problem. If anything needs work at Syracuse University, it is the city beneath it.