Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I am from a small school in Ohio and did not know of any stereotypes that were supposedly at Syracuse, and could not really see any when I arrived. Syracuse is supposedly a large part school with a large Jewish- and Italian-American population, but truthfully they are just the same as everyone else. People here are very proud of their nationality, and they definitely discuss it, but everyone is very accepting of all other stereotypes. I feel that you find what you go looking for, so if you are looking for a large party school or a lot of Jewish friends, you will definitely find them. But, if you are looking for friends to have fun and learn with who do not judge you in any way, you will also find that like i have. Al in all, the stereotypes are not very accurate. The one that is, however, is that in the wintertime a good 50% of girls will have a long, black jacket, boots that look like Uggs, and leggings or skinny jeans on, but that is more of an inside joke because it is so true, rather than people making fun of them for it.

Before coming to campus, many websites talked about Syracuse being filled with JAPs. Coming from the west coast, I thought this meant Japanese, but it stands for Jewish American Princesses. And yes, this is definitely true. A lot of the girls at Syracuse (esp. sorority girls are really rich and Jewish). Majority of the kids that attend Syracuse are really wealthy, driving around BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, etc. (even international students) While majority of the school are rich, there are also a number of people on campus who are here on scholarship, and one of the first people in their family to attend college. While this group is not as big as the majority, the number is definitely growing. Syracuse is trying to become more diverse, which apparently was one of the reasons it dropped in the rankings of colleges.

One general stereotype of Syracuse University is that many of the students are rich, Jewish girls who paid their way into a good college. In general, I don't think this is true. While many of our students are from the middle-upper classes, I think most people attending the university deserve to be there, based on the merit of their actions and the ability expressed by their prior education. Another stereotype deals with "frat boys and lax bros." While there is a good number of fraternity parties here, the school itself shouldn't be negatively affected by that. Most of these so-called "frat boys" are actually pretty smart people who just party a little harder than others on the weekends.

The stereotype is that all the girls wear ugh boots, leggings, and are in a sorority. The boys, well they are either in a frat or playing basketball. I don't think this fits our school at all! Yes, there are a lot of people involved in Greek life which is awesome, but not everyone is. I've met people such an array of people here, its great. Everyone from your ESF student studying the chemistry of tree moss growth to your spray-painting art student, your i-will-never-leave-Bird-library kid to your i-dont-give-a-crap student who's just here to party, and of course many imbetween. Its great.

The stereotype of students at Syracuse University are that everyone is an athlete and studies Communication and Rhetorical Studies. This is not true. Our Drama department and Newhouse program are some of the best in the program. There are thousands of students who have never even attended a University sporting event. Another stereotype is that Syracuse University is a PARTY SCHOOL! This is in fact true, but the party scene is easy to be avoided if one does not want to be involved.

The stereotype of students that I saw and heard of before I actually attended was that it was only for really rich students. In fact I have found it quite the opposite - there are a lot of students from very diverse and interesting backgrounds that all add to the atmosphere. However, the stereotype that everyone on campus loves sports in my experience has proven to be true. As a fan of SU sports, it is really empowering to see everyone gather together.

Some stereotypes of people at Syracuse are: everyone is a partier, or is an upper class white kid from New York. Although there are many of both types of peoples, not everyone is a hard partier, and there are a lot of people who aren't white or upper middle class. Another stereotype is that everyone here is from New York or New Jersey. That is pretty true, but if you ask around, you can find plenty of people who aren't from relatively closely.

The stereotypes of students on campus are of jocks, frat guys and loose sorority girls. This stereotype is decidedly false. There is a wide variety of cliche and non-cliche identities to adopt. There are stoners and jocks and frat guys, but there also exist intellectuals and vibrant cultural communities. If it is a niche you seek, it should be easy to find.

Syracuse has a lot of fun Fraternities. We are known for being the number 12 party school in the nation. With this there are a lot of frat kids that are crazy. There is also a stereotype of Syracuse being a very Jewish school. It is not true, but there are more jewish students at Syracuse than many other universities.

Some would say that the students are very social life oriented and all about partying but that is not entirely true. Students like to enjoy themselves but just as much as any other college student at any school. We have a good balance of fun and rigorous academic life. I am never bored either way.