Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Syracuse pairs Big East Division I sports and overpowering orange pride with colleges within that provide a small liberal arts feel. It’s all about experience here at SU, and the new mission of “Scholarship in Action” says just that. SU is a hidden gem of the northeast, tucked away in central New York, and has many top-tier programs that compete with the best. Syracuse is commonly known as the best communications school in the northeast, but it also has superior architecture, education, drama, retail management, and entrepreneurship studies. The administration continues to drive SU into the league of “new ivy’s,” and is actively working on a $1 billion campaign to continue future progress. There are endless opportunities to get involved, and the administration encourages students to expand upon their curiosities, start new organizations, and thrive in already existing ones. Unfortunately, sometimes freshman feel overwhelmed by the amount of clubs and extracurricular that exists, and there really isn’t a great way to navigate though them or find out how to get involved initially. Students can be found at every nook and cranny of campus, and most even venture to downtown Syracuse areas for dinner and entertainment. Not all areas of Syracuse are safe for students, and it is advised not for students to ever walk alone at night. It’s nice to have a city surrounding the university “bubble,” but the overwhelming amount of poverty on the outskirts of the popular city sites is sad and unsafe. On campus, almost all buildings are open 24/7, and include closed spaces for studying, so students don’t have to rely on the library as the only place to concentrate. On an average day, I spend about half the time in my room at my sorority house and the other half going to class, attending speakers and finding a quiet and relaxing place to do schoolwork. Students often meet up for lunch on Marshall Street or one of the many cafeterias. Though it is one of the nation’s more expensive colleges, there are excellent financial aid programs, and scholarships are abundant. Though some colleges receive more educational funds than others, each building has state-of-the art facilities, which allow students to be on the cutting edge of technology and learning. Still, mention the ‘Cuse to anyone, and the first response will have something to do with the abominable weather. And that is the worst part about campus. The weather gets to everyone, no matter how positive students try to be. When the wind is nipping off your fingers it’s hard to put that pencil to the paper. But when it comes to deciding between gray skies or the Syracuse University’s unique package of sports, intellect, and opportunity, students just weather the storm.

The best thing about Syracuse is the carrier dome. This is where the "Orange" play D1 Basketball, Football and LAX. To get through the football season, we get psyched about the basketball season. If i could change anything about the school, I would definitly change the student center. Right now schine is only used as a quick shortcut to get on and off campus. The food is bad, and there's very little area to hang out. The other thing I would change is the lack of area to study. During finals week it's nearly impossible to find somewhere that has an outlet to study on campus. You have to get really creative. Most people are impressed with me going to Syracuse. Coming from Jersey the first question from friends at home is if i know so-and-so, they don't realize the school is as big as it is. I spend the majority of my time in campus in Whitman, the School of Management. Basically, all of my classes are there, and I live right next door in a fraternity. Plus, there's a good cafe and a huge atrium to relax and study in. SU feels like it's fenced in from the rest of Syracuse. Recently they tried integrating the campus to the city, but it will take many years before students seriously adventure outside the campus. There are enough bars and parties going on either on campus or near off campus that there isn't a reason to go to the bars downtown. They are really expensive and apparently not worth it. The school administration is very strict. With every issue there's a ton of red tape. This can be anything from bringing a guest speaker to campus, to getting caught drinking by an RA. There's always some kind of process. The biggest recent controversy was an armed robbery on south campus. Basically 3 students stormed an apartment with guns demanding marijuana and cash. They got caught but it was a pretty big deal. There is a lot of school pride, lots of orange around. It kind of hurts the eyes after a while. The one experience I'll remember is pledging. It was the most fun I never ever want to do again. The most frequent complaints are about food quality, food choices, and dorms. They are fixing this by adding new dorms and cafe's around campus

My initial opinion of Syracuse University is that our school is great! Of course, all institutions have their weaknesses as well. After attending SU for two years i've found the school as a whole to be welcoming and embracing to all that attend. There are over 100 student groups on campus and therefore niches that all individuals can enjoy. Within those groups i've taken leadership in a few religious based organizations called Campus Crusade for Christ and Baptist Campus Ministries. With these two groups i've formed a unique and supportive set of friends that i am most thankful to have been provided with here at Syracuse. Additionally, i get to utilize my art stills to be the an event coordinator and poster designer. By providing so many unique groups on campus ranging from the quidditch team to the five acapella groups, everyone can find their niche to get involved. Other elements i find most appealing about syracuse are the mimes student pride (we are playing Uconn tomorrow (sat) in basketball and people have been camping at the dome since tuesday), the art and design program ( we get personal studio space at a downtown warehouse), and the concerts held (there is rumor of Mumford and Sons coming in the spring!!!). As previously stated there are some flaws in the institution. If i had to change one thing it would be the process of adding or dropping a class after the deadline. Doing so involves a series of paperwork that has to be signed by at least 4 different people. Running from building to building trying to find these individuals becomes complicated. However, if thats the biggest thing i have to complain about while going here, i guess they aren't doing a bad job!

At the beginning of my freshmen year I was an athlete for the ORANGE! I'd spend my weeks working out at the Manley Field House and my weekends screaming at the top of my lungs "ORANGE PRIDE." The cool thing was I was able to dabble in everything SU offered because it was a flexible university. My sophomore year I rushed a sorority and enjoyed the greek life. Now junior year I'll explore the abroad program. One of the best experiences I must say was joining the Student Association, the on-campus organization that hears all the complaints by students and parents and works closely with deans and other organizations to adhere to the student needs and progress was made. Just check out sa.syr.edu ! I enjoyed watching the pavement swarmed with students in the winter all bundled up and still attempting to read the "DAILY ORANGE"- the campus newspaper. Filled with gossip, how two's, and sports...you won't see anyone with out one. Everyone and anyone complain about the student center and how it needs to be reinovated from the early 1900's and the lack of awesome equiptment at the gym where 85% of the regular non athletic kids work out. My sister attends UT-AUSTIN and she uses a car to get her from point A- to B, but i have the luxury of walking everywhere or taking the Centro Bus and you would think I'd be complaining but SU has made so much available within walking distance. A+++ on our health center. It's speedy and so close but we def have to upgrade on the drug prescriptions.

The best thing about Syracuse University is the sports, the Carrier Dome is such a great time. The one thing i would change would have to be the bus system to south campus, south campus has upper class men apartments and the bus does not come frequently enough. Syracuse is the perfect size, its not too crowded, and its not too small where you know everyone. You can always make a large school into a small school but you can not do the reverse. Most people say its a great school, they also talk about the sports, but a lot of people say brace yourself for the weather. I spend a lot of time in the lounges in the dorm with my friends. Syracuse is not a college town but downtown affiliates itself with the University. Also Marshall street is basically on Campus and has a good bar scene and great food. The schools administration is great, they really care about every student because we are a private school. The biggest controversy would have to be the whole Bernie Fine scandal. Everyone that i know loves syracuse. Syracuse does have a 92% retention rate for freshmen. The dome is awesome because it is literally right on campus. One experience i will always remember is my freshmen forum class for Engineering, we had to make a bridge that spanned four feet long and had to hold two people standing on it, and my team won and held our whole team. The cold weather is a minor complaint that is made, but its really not that bad.

If you're coming for Newhouse, then you're in luck ... sorta. The school is very technologically advanced and will give you a decent education - the alumni contacts are great. However, the name recognition (in my experience), just isn't that great (especially on the West coast). I've found SU to be just the right size school - I'm always running into people I know going to class, but it's not so small that I feel like everywhere I go I'm going to know everyone. If you're looking for a school with a college town - look elsewhere. SU's marshal street has enough fast food and bars to get by, but it's far off from the typical college town that you think of. The administration leaves something to be desired. It's my opinion that they're working toward the general right direction for the school, but that their tactics need to be changed. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that it is the school responsibility to support the city of Syracuse - economically. It's hard to see so much of what is a hefty tuition go towards useless spending. If you're looking for a sports school. This is a good one. Yes, football sucks right now, and our Men's BB team is on it's worse streak in 30+ years. But it'll turn around in a few years. Besides mLAX is doing awesome and you get the Carrier Dome!

SU's best thing would be that there is always something available to do on campus. At moment, you cannot be bored. There are so many clubs and extracurricular events that one can partake in. At any moment, you can be playing basketball, joining the chess club, practicing karate, reciting dramatic lines with the drama club or even saving the world with the environmental club. Then with regard to big events, SU does an amazing job at bringing speakers/comedians to campus. The list goes on: Bill Bellamy, Al Gore, Steven Lynch, Vincente Fox, Spike Lee, Bob Saget, Bill Nye, Jack Hanna, and that has been in the 12 months. It is amazing to see how far your dollars go, as SU does a great job to bring amazing events to campus. That excludes that SU offers free busing downtown or to the malls, and the on-campus sports are fantastic. The campus size is "just right" as it is overwhelming where you are just a number in the school's books, but you can always find someone you know on campus to hang out with. When you tell people you go to Syracuse, they are always like, "wow, you go to SU!" So, it's a remarkable school that one can go to.

Great school if you get into Newhouse, Whitman, the I school, the architecture school or VPA (college of visual and performing arts). I feel that that the school gives a great advantage to those in Whitman and especially Newhouse. If you're a sports person, cuse is a great school. A lot of people go to football games, even though we really suck. Our basketball team is amazing. The city itself is kind of disappointing. The city is not big at all, the only thing to really do downtown is eat or go to bars. Students are kind of limited to the campus, unless you have a car and can drive to other places. The biggest con about Cuse is the weather. We possibly have the worst weather in the entire planet. I literally walked through a blizzard last year to take my finals. Because Syracuse is known for their snow, classes are rarely canceled, as they hire people to plow the snow and put salt on the ground. However, it is so hard to leave your warm house/dorm if its negative degrees outside. The fall is beautiful, but the winter literally lasts til April, sometimes even later.

The best thing about Syracuse is that you realize how life tends to go in circles. History repeats itself and the only way it seems to get ahead is to learn lessons from your good and bad experiences. Having such a large student body compared to the high schools many students came from offers room for experimentation, good and bad. From there, students affect each other in the decisions they make directly and indirectly. Seeing students drunk in the street or yelling or vomiting may deter others from drinking and smoking, while others might be attracted to the "wild life". The school offers you the chance to grow at your own pace, learn lessons you couldn't learn any where else and make friends and enemies that will do the same. The school has a lot to offer the student inside and outside the classroom, and being situated in a rather dead city in the cold forces students to incubate among themselves and within themselves. Naturally groups, alliances, friendships and rivalries form creating an intricate network of social and academic communities.

Syracuse is a big school and although the campus may seem overwhelming at first, it gets smaller as you go on. The city of Syracuse is not a thriving metropolis but it has some interesting places to be (ex. Armory Square). Most of the schools in Syracuse, particularly Newhouse and Maxwell, have really great reputations, and most people associate Syracuse with D1 sports teams. There's always something going on on-campus and off-campus but you have to be proactive about it. The faculty I've come in contact have been great but there are some professors who could stand to learn more about working with students and organizing a class. The most recent controversy on campus with the Hill TV scandal (I'm sure you can google it). There is major orange pride on campus and you will accumulate a lot of orange for your wardrobe...and learn to love the color in the end. I've met some great people at SU and I met my fiance here so I'm kind of in love with my campus