Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Overall, Syracuse University is a healthy environment for a young mind to grow that gives you a balanced education without forcing students to take too many "unnecessary" classes. As a student in Newhouse, the communications school here at Syracuse, I feel I am getting a no-nonsense education that focuses more on real-world experience than hours and hours of writing papers on theories. Rather than think about how people write movies or relay the news, Syracuse University kids are actually filming projects or reporting the latest events. Overall, students seem to love SU. Even though the mascot is a giant orange ball, there is an immense amount of pride over our education as well as our athletic department. You'll notice how I continually used the word "our" when referring to the school; that's because here at SU, you really do get a sense of family and community that I don't think happens at many other schools.

The best thing about Syracuse is that it offers almost anything you want and will allow you to find a way to pursue whatever you want academically. The school is just the right size. I see people everyday on campus just walking across the quad that I know. It was the largest school I applied to, but you never feel lost in the crowd. The academic departments I'm involved in are small and close-knit. They care about getting you a job after school and helping you learn. On campus I spend most of my time in the Illustration studio and in the library. Although sports are important on campus, you really don't feel left out if you're not interested. There are definitely rebels that refuse to attend any sporting events, especially in the art department. One thing a lot of students don't take advantage of is the surrounding parks around Syracuse. Green Lakes and Highland forest are great parks to go to.

Syracuse is amazing. Bottom line. I couldn't have found a better college. It's got absolutely everything and everyone here. It's diverse, there's always stuff to do, the parties are amazing, Greek life is popular. The academics are great too. Truly, the only bad things about it are the location and the weather. I miss being away from the beach, and the weather here is so random- a blizzard one day, and 60 degrees and sunny a couple days later. Literally. I spend time going to classes, working, working out, at my future sorority (I'm pledging right now), or at various campus events. Of course I go to the football and basketball games. On the weekends, I tend to party at frats the most, they're definitely the most fun. House parties are ok too. I hear the bar scene is pretty big, but I don't have a fake ID so I have no idea how that is.

I really like Syracuse. I think the classes are challenging but not ridiculously hard for no reason. I am a biochemistry major, so I only know what the science courses are like, but so far I like the way they are taught. The professors are actually there to talk to during office hours, and the TAs actually care about teaching. Unfortunately my major is not my passion, which gets me down sometimes and I am not as happy here as I could be. I need to stick with Biochemistry though so I can get to my real passion, equine genetics, in grad school. The reason I came to Syracuse was the science building. It is beautiful. None of the other schools I looked at had anything like it. I spend most of my time there studying and occasionally exploring , peeking into the research labs.

Syracuse is a school that feels big at times and small at times. Sometimes I will be walking around campus late in the day and feel like I'm the only one around, but other times the quad will be packed. Most of the buildings are near each other, but none of the dorms are especially close to the buildings, which can make walks long in the cold. People here are pretty school spirited, but they could be better. Syracuse prides itself on being good at so many things when it's just okay at some things. However, for the location and size of the school, they manage to get some pretty big names on campus and students come to see them. The town isn't that great, but I personally spend most of my time on campus. The student center could be improved as well.

I wish the weather wasn't so bad. it really limits what you can and can't do. i think it holds me back very much because its just such a pain. The dorms are pretty crappy as well. I like the size, know plenty of people yet haven't met many as well. seasonal depression is also horrible. it is like living in hell, in my opinion, during the winter here. i feel like a zombie. i dont like the administration i think there is some corruption going on or something because the amount of rich alumni and the ridiculous tuition we pay, i dont see it put to use anywhere. all of a sudden they are adding new buildings now but it looks like they didnt add anything for the last 25 years, so now were are seriously behind other schools. nancy needs to loosen up.

Good art program and d1 sports are the best part. i'd change the stairs going up the mount because they suck and i fall down them when it snows. its a good size. when i say i go to cuse they usually say "cool basketball!" or "oh shit snow!!!" i spend most of my time in art studio or my dorm/ other dorms. administration? i don't really pay attention...chancy nancy's "politically correct" changes are annoying. i don't remember any controversies. i think there is a good amount of school pride, not as much as..ohio state for example (since i live there). nothing unusual about cuse. most frequent complaints are snow and nothing to do down town or on campus alot

Best thing: It's a CAMPUS. Change: Involve more with community Size: Just right- I came from a very small town (86 kids in my graduating class) but adjusted pretty well to both the school and the city. Reaction: People are impressed. Time: Dorm, Euclid Avenue, Schine Student Center, Newhouse/Whitman study areas Not really a college town Administration: Haven't interacted with them much, haven't had a problem LOTS OF SCHOOL PRIDE! Orange EVERYWHERE you go! Frequent complaints: Nancy Cantor (still not too sure why), weather, football team Experience I'll Always Remember: Mayfest 2008, Relay for Life 2008, 2008 Syracuse win over ranked Georgetown

Syracuse is a very large, private, expensive, and amazing university! In my first year, I have experienced so much more than I probably ever would in high school and I am very grateful for the things I have learned along the way! The city of Syracuse is actually very different from the campus we live on. It is not the wealthiest of cities, nor the most well known; it is almost like two different worlds when being on campus versus "downtown". It is very nice, however, to step off campus and into the colorful avenues of the city, including: museums, restaurants (sushi is very popular), and nightlife.

The best thing about SU is its size. Syracuse is a very large University, so your chances of finding a group of people/major that you like is very high. Each school within the University is very different. We have an incredibly prestigious Illustration department and all of my professors are well known in the art world. For any specialized major, SU is great. If you are looking for general stuff (english major, math major, etc), you would probably be better off at a smaller liberal arts college. The weather is a serious student complaint. It is very dark, and very rainy, almost all of the time.