Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

This is a perfect school, people know what they're dong. We have school proud and enjoy everything in this school.

Great school. Worth the price! Many opportunities through SU!

The best thing about Syracuse is the variety of night life activities. Students can party on south campus if they want something low-key, go to a frat house, a house party, Marshall St. bars or downtown bars. There's always something to do and you always meet new people when you're out. I would change the weather, but if we did have warm weather year round, students wouldn't appreciate it as much or party as hard when the snow melts and the sun comes out (even if it is finals week). Perfect size- for every 10 people you know on campus there are 100 more you can meet. They ask me if I'm in Newhouse- and I am so they are always extremely impressed. During the day when I have classes, I spend most of my time in Schine student center upstairs- its a quiet place to study or nap if you don't want to walk back to your room or in Newhouse III. When I don't have classes, either in my sorority house, my boyfriend's fraternity house or my dorm. When I'm going out I'm usually at Maggie's or Harry's or a fraternity house. It's a great balance between a city and a college town. Marshall St. provides a small town environment with restaurants, bars and shops. You'll almost always see a familiar face on M street, especially after 2 a.m. on a bar night. Downtown provides entertainment (Syracuse Stage), great restaurants (Ambrosia), bars and there's a huge mall close by too. The Syracuse administration is helpful, but you don't come into contact with them too often. It was slightly controvercial when Chief Justice John Roberts came and spoke at the Newhouse III opening. It was an honor to have such an accomplished individual speaking at the school, but it was also contradictory because he is so conservative and not the best representative for free speech, it seemed as though we might have found a better candidate. There is a ton of school pride- the Carrier Dome is the most noticiable thing on campus and students go all out for D1 sports games. Basketball season is amazing.

I genuinely love Syracuse University. It is the perfect combination of athletics and academics...great, notable academic programs, as well as top competing men and women's athletic teams (and basketball games are the best!). Both academics and athletics are competitive. And while you are obviously here for an education, if athletics aren't your thing...there is still so much the SU has to offer. There are so many extracurricular clubs, programs and community involvement to get involved with. The school itself is beautiful. It is a private school and the buildings look like that of an ivy league. Everything on campus is so easily accessible. Classes are all at most a ten minute walk and the quad is the centerpiece of the campus. It is not too big, and not too small...the right amount of students that you get to meet new people, while still bumping into that familiar face. Buses can definitely get you everywhere and anywhere you need to be (although if you live on South Campus- give yourself some extra time to get to campus in case they fill up). Alumni is very involved and wants to help current students succeed. During your time here, you will meet a lot of great amazing faculty that can serve as mentors to you. SU gives you all the tools and more in order to succeed; it's up to you what you choose to do with itl Oh, and...Orange Pride lasts forever!

Um.. I love Syracuse I am aware I might sound like a tour guide or a pamphlet in what I'm about to say, but really... I mean every word! --I was sooooo nervous to come to Syracuse, well to go to any college is nervewracking, but I live in Long Island and Cuse is 4.5/5 hours away, and I'd never been away from home before for a long period of time. So Syracuse was a good school because the drive really isn't that bad, and there's an airport right there! When I got my housing assignment, I found out I was living in the all-freshmen dorm Skyhall (which is on South Campus--not Main), so I would have to take a bus to class every day. My older friends told me to try and change my housing immediately, so naturally, I freaked out. However, I LOVE the Skyhalls and am so sad that I'm not going to be there again next year. My best friends live there and I wouldn't change anything about freshmen year for the world. I'm even going to be a "skyhall mentor" next semester to hellp the new freshies transition into school! --everyone is so friendly... when it's nice weather, people will be hanging out on the Quad and you'll always see a friendly face --yes, it is cold, but if you bring a heavy jacket, you'll be fine... etc. etc.

The best thing about Syracuse hands down is the school spirit. EVERYONE goes to the basketball games and the student section is so much fun!! If I could change one thing, it would be the winters that last from November to April. For me, the size is perfect. Usually when I tell people that I go here, they make some joke about the weather or the struggling basketball team this year. I spend most of my time either in my dorm, at class, or at parties. I have lived in Syracuse my whole life, and I can tell you it is most definitely a college town. The city would be nothing without the university. Don't even get me started on our chancellor, Nancy Cantor. No one likes her, I dont know how she is still employed. Probably the biggest controversies are the various robberies. They happen more often than you would think. There is SO MUCH school spirit here, I dont know if I can stress that enough. One of the most unusual things here are the black squirrels. I've never seen black squirrels anywhere else in my life. I will always remember storming the court after we beat Georgetown on 2/16/08. Students complain about the usual- food, weather, professors. Nothing too crazy.

The best thing about Syracuse hands down has got to be the weather, with the socioeconmoic tension between the University and the community coming in a close second. Syracuse is the perfect size; everyone knows someone that knows someone else, which makes for easy gossip connections and fun times! Making fun of people is so much more satisfying when everyone at the party knows who you're talking about. Aside from getting roofied at frats and going to random ass house parties on Eucild Avenue, Marshall Street offers a plethora of bars that are willing to serve minors and provide a constant source of entertainment to all cool non-greek and greek people. School pride? Perhaps when the Orange isn't sucking, which has been constantly since 2003, so scratch that. Try greek pride; bitties wear their letters on anything and everything like it's their job. Everyone rushes or at least thinks about doing it; whether or not you're in a house, you're without a doubt going to devote at least 65 percent of your conversations to talking about/making fun of them, and honestly it never gets old. She's in Kappa? Like really? Really.

Wow, where to begin? We love our sports, and take much pride in our nationally acclaimed schools, like Newhouse (communications) and Whitman (management). The weather isn't as bad as people say it is. Yea, it gets really cold, but that just means we throw on a sweatshirt under our jackets. The snow wasn't bad at all this year, and by second semester, almost everyone gets used to the bitter wind. Greek life is huge at S.U. Whether you decide to rush a sorority or fraternity or not, you'll probably end up with plenty of friends who did. Campus wise, S.U. is great. It's not huge, but it's not tiny either. It's also constantly being updated, and is getting prettier every year. Recent upgrades are highlighted by the new Whitman and Newhouse buildings. Syracuse may be a big name school like Michigan or Maryland, but it only has 12,500 undergrads. It's a great "big" school, because it's really not that big, and feels even smaller.

The best thing about Syracuse is that is offers so many activities and so many opportunities; I'm never bored and usually end up taking on too much because there's always something interesting to do or club to join. For me, this school size is just right. It was a little overwhelming at first, even coming from a 2000 person high school, but I love that it's big because there are so many people to meet. I can know a lot of people and still meet someone new everyday, which I love. When I tell people I go to Syracuse back in Colorado I get a lot of "wow"s and "that's so cool" and "you must be smart" or of course, "where the heck is that? kansas?" (no joke). For the most part though it holds a lot of ground because a lot of people in Colorado don't explore outside of the state and go to in state schools so i stand out from the crowd. There is a lot of school pride, which i love.

One thing that is great about Syracuse is that it is a big univeristy with a wide range of activities to do. There is something for everyone here and because of that the University feels a lot smaller. Each extra-curricular group, major, greek organization, learning community, even floor of a dorm has its own homey feel, which is great. I would change the weather in a heart beat. The weather and the city of Syracuse. They are both pretty awful. There is absolutely nothing to do here unless you want to make an event out of it (i.e. taking the 20 minute trip to the mall or going to armory square for a night.) Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to do on campus but it would be nice to be able to just take a walk without having to look at dreary buildings, freezing, and not feeling safe walking around the city itself.