Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

A person who is not capable of adaptation very easily. The weather is surely a concern when applying to a specific school or region of the world and in Syracuse, where a majority of the student population is not from around upstate NY, the weather can get pretty rough for students not able to adapt. Also, the adaptation to the unfamiliar social classes and structures, especially for most foreigners, is also a major deterrent for some students. Many students attending Syracuse have been raised by materialistic and narcissistic guardians who have passed on those horrific traits to their child.

Syracuse University is a school that challenges you: academically and socially Academically, you have teachers who are experts and have written books about the subject they are teaching. Socially, there are so many different clubs and sports events to attend to, that it will be a little hard to manage your time. I believe that is part of the reason why Syracuse Alumni tend to have so much pride. Because they have overcome these academic and social challenges. Therefore, if you don’t want to attend to these challenges, Syracuse University may not necessarily be for you.

A narrow-minded person should not be able to attend Syracuse University. There is so much diversity within a "typical college campus," which does not make it a typical college campus--I guess. Over fifty percent of undergraduates live outside of New York, so there are people who come from all different backgrounds. There are people of different races, ethnicities, economic backgrounds, even different countries, who choose to attend SU. A narrow-minded person would not appreciate the culture SU manages to bring in every year through the undergraduates.

A person who is not self driven should not attend Syracuse University because everything is pretty much up to you. As in several other colleges it is your responsibility to wake up on time and attend class, yet for students like myself who live far from home, it becomes a necessity to make wise decisions. Also, if you are dependent on your parents for simple things such as laundry and pocket money maybe going away from home to such a competitive institution is not fit for you. Self-control is also necessary when it comes to parties and hanging out.

I think that college is very much about creating your own experiences in the sense that only you can decide what your four years of university will look like. Syracuse University, in particular, offers a wide array of different activities and much of your experience will be determined by the organizations that you join. I think that if you are unwilling to step out of your comfort zone and get involved with what the university has to offer, this school probably would not be a good fit for you because no one will force you out of your dorm room.

I would not say there is a type of person who shouldn't attend this school. I would recommend it to all of my peers and anyone looking for a classic college experience. There is a place for new students regardless of social class, race, ethnicity or interests. Majors offered cover a wide array from the arts, business, physical and social sciences, administrative studies and beyond. Students come from all over the nation and world. With just a little effort, anyone can find their niche in the many different clubs or groups on campus.

Syracuse University is not the place for individuals who wish to avoid diversity. With the multitude of majors and individuals, one is exposed to many different ethnic backgrounds, life styles, and ways of thinking. That being said, it is easy to fall into the mass of the student body and become "just another student." However, I believe that if you truly want to get the most out of your college experience at Syracuse Univeristy you need to be willing to stand up for yourself, fight for what you want and make yourself seen.

I think this school is a place for anyone regardless of they qualities attributed to them. We are a school able to invite people from different walks of life whether it invovles their socio-economic status or the town they grew up in. However a person who does not want to be labeled a student or work hard to deserve the title should not attend the school. A person not willing to open up to others and enjoy the diversity, the tons of services, as well as the academic and social realms may not be a fit for this school.

Someone who does not like the cold should be hesistant to join this school. Furthermore, as a transfer student, my initial impression was that the school had a very dominant Greek population. Therefore, if Greek life is not something you have any interest in, you may want to reconsider. However, the entire campus does not go Greek. Other than these two aspects, I have nothing but positive things to say about Syracuse from my brief time here over the last few weeks as a first semester transfer.

Someone whom is anti-social and does not like to participate in group activities would not be a good match for Syracuse. This is because there are so many opportunities to get involved and interact with all sorts of people from all walks of life at this University. I personally did not get involved during my first semester and I regret it. So my goal for this semester is to get more involved and make friendships that, hopeully, I will have through the rest of my life.