Syracuse University Top Questions

AUBREY

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things about college life and making the transition. Your test scores do not define you or determine your success. High aptitude with a poor attitude is recipe for failure. I would have taken my studies more seriously in high school. While getting good grades is a nice benefit to having a study regime, the truth is that structure makes the transition to college freshman much easier. Eating healthy and exercising regularly are also good habits to pick up now and decreases the chances of the dreaded freshman fifteen later. Apply for scholarships every year to lessen your loan debt and you do NOT need to go on spring break if it means borrowing more money from Sallie May. College is a time to step out of your comfort zone and make friends with people of various races, religions, socioeconomic statuses, sexual orientations, and political affiliations. People who challenge your beliefs often help you grow the most. Lastly, learning occurs both inside and outside of the classroom so, go Greek but, also go to class!

If I could to go back time and advise my younger self on college life and how to get the most out of it I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone. I have never been unable to get friends and I am not socially unacceptable, however, I am just not the kind of person that will start a conversation with a random stranger. I am a member of the Syracuse football team so when I first arrived I automatically had 100 guys to call my friends. In my opinion this hindered my development socially. This is because I limited myself to my teammates and did not branch out to other students. In addition, being who I am I wasn't very comfortable with just going around my floor and introducing myself to all the other students. This led me to have few friends who were not on sports teams. I would tell my high school self to just leave my little bubble and introduce myself to other people during that first semester. That everyone else is as scared and timid as I am and that nothing bad can come from just saying hello.

I would tell myself to take a deep breath and know that everything will be okay! I would really consider looking into my true interests instead of brushing them off as things that I could never turn into jobs.

Put the effort in now! You know you need to develop good study skills and if you develop them during high school, it will make your college life much easier and abundently more fulfilling. You're a good student but you need to follow your passions. Put all you can into debating and become really good! It'll provide you numerous benefits you will never see coming and allow you to speak confidently in college classes, a skill many students are lacking. Lastly, put your effort into learning how to eat correctly, workout, and become better at dancing/cheerleading. These skills and dedication to keeping your body in it's best shape will prevent you from gaining the freshman 15 and help you to meet new friends. Don't ever think you aren't good at a skill, like dancing. Instead, use this as motivation to become better. Research Syracuse more and learn everything you can about it. You will absolutely love it and dump that stupid high school boyfriend: you'll be so much better off without him.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to embrace everything college has to offer. I would say to not limit myself to my comfort zone. Try something new and meet new people. I joined the ski team but dropped it because I was not sure I could handle that in addition to my class work and professional organizations. Looking back, I should have stayed with the ski team to meet more people outside of my major to share different experiences and friendships. I would tell myself not to take the easy Spanish class for the easy grade because, in the long run, learning the language, becomming fluent and immersing myself in the culture is more important than the grade in one class. I would tell myself while it is important to work hard, it is also important to have fun and build life-long friendships. I only keep in contact with a few college friends who still live in the area. I see the bonds other people have with their college classmates, and I wish I had spent more time with friends to build those lasting relationships.

Ariana

If I could write a letter to me, I'd start off by saying that even though you enjoyed highschool, college is still way better. However, highschool does not even come close to preparing you for the amount of work that you have to do so do all your homework on time and DONT skip classes and ACTUALLY pay attention. With regarding choosing schools, you have a whole slew of colleges to go to, don't pick the one just because of the name. Pick the school that is free or close to it (to save a lot of money and stress our family), pick the school that would be most down to earth people wise, trust me you DONT want to be stuck with rich entitled kids. It kind of sucks being at this school and thinking "what if." My last piece of advise, life moves on, so don't dwell on changes that are going to change, trust me life gets so much better once you pick your head up and leave the past in the past. Also, very unexpected things happen on your journey through college that make things so much better and happier :).

Nakim

I would tell myself to calm down and not be so skittish. I was nervous and did not know what to do or how to act but after a while I just relaxed and acted how I do at home and people like me for it.

Dear High-School Self, It's you, from the future! There are so many things I need to tell you that I'm not entirely sure where to start. I suppose I'll begin by telling you that you need to relax. I know you worry so much about everything; about getting into college, doing well on your exams, being a good friend to everybody (even when they may not deserve it). I need you to trust that everything is going to work out. The people who are meant to stay in your life will stay there. The ones who don't, you don't need. You are smart and talented. You are going to be just fine. You're gonna LOVE college! I need you to trust yourself. You have solid instincts, girl. Believe in yourself, and don't ever let anyone make you second-guess that. This is your life. Do the things that YOU need to do. You only get one shot at it. Lastly, I need you to have fun. You've only got one life. Enjoy the ride while you still can. Close your eyes and leap! You've got this. I promise. Love, Me

Brandi

The first piece of advice I would give myself is to look at all of your college options. Just because all of your high school friends are enrolling in a certain college does not mean it's the right choice for you. There are numerous other reasons to attend a specific college other than which has the best parties or how many sororities they have; none of that will matter if your academics slip and wind up costing you excellent opportunities. You are going to have to study, and I don't mean for just twenty minutes I'm talking about hours for just one course. Take pride in everything you accomplish! Getting inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, heck yes, you best be proud because it's an academic honor that you worked hard for. Lastly I would tell myself, you are going to get through every obstacle standing in the way of your goals, please believe me when I tell you that you are a strong, independent young woman who is going to accomplish amazing things professionally, academically and personally.

Dear High School Self,Congratulations on getting accepted to college! Here are some words of wisdom for the journey ahead.First, don’t take anything for granted. College provides you with unique opportunities that are hard to obtain in the real world. Internships, study abroad programs, extracurricular activities, speakers, concerts, plays… there’s so much to do! Now is not the time to be shy. If you don’t give things a try, you’ll never figure out what you want to do with your life.Second, spend time talking to your professors, especially the ones who will make an impact in your life. They have real world experience and are always willing to help you. Ask them questions, visit them during their office hours, and definitely don’t be afraid to get advice on the future.Finally, learn how to be an independent thinker. No one is going to hold your hand through this process. There are going to be days where things look bleak and days where everything falls into place. Use your brain, problem solve, and don’t be afraid to fail. You can always try again, but you can’t try if you never get started.

The most important advice I could possibly give myself as a high school senior was that college work is 10x harder than high school work, so you better prepare yourself. You're going to need to study a lot more in college than you ever did in high school, and it's going to piss you off a lot. It'll probably take getting a really bad grade to get the message across to you that you need to buckle down and study your butt off. It needs to be all you. No one is going to be there to tell you to get your work done, and no one is going to be there to listen to you cry if you get a bad grade. You need to put the effort in. You get exactly what you put in, so if you put in bad effort, you're going to get bad results.

Deka

No advice, I'd just do it like I did. I learned so much along the way and there is no way for me to put those experiences into words to have told myself.

Siddharth

Going back in time, and giving advice to my self as an senior would be fantastic. One advice I would give myself would be just to take everything in college seriously. In other words, when I started out college I didn't take things very seriously with dramatic financial events in my family causing me to move back home. If I had taken that extra class I would have been done this year, but due to the lack of carelessness I have to live with the fact knowing I could have done better.

chandra

Go to collge and finish becasue once you get older and married and start having kids y ou will not have the fime you need to concentrate on your college educatuion.

Shari

The advice i'd give myself is to always listen to myself at the end of the day. There are always going to be people in your ear telling what you should and shouldn't do but at the end of the day you're the one who has live with the decision you make. Even when you're not sure, it's always best to go with your own gut and opinion rather someone elses. I'd also tell myself that parties, drugs, and sex are still something that I don't need to experience. Those things hold individuals back from getting a degree and a lot of times just cause more problems. Focus on quality time with family, getting that degree, and finding out who you are as a person. Last but not least work hard everday!!! Never in a million years get comfortable because in order to walk across that stage you have to do hours of studying, hours of homework, and days/weeks of no social life. God, Family, School, and You are your top priorities!

Dustan

I would tell myself that you need to be mentally ready and know what you want out of your education and to pick something that your intrested in and inhances your gifts in life and work hard to obtain it.

william

If I could go back in time and give one piece of advice to myself as a high school senior it would be look for scholarships. Going to college is such an incredible experience, but it costs a lot of money to attend a university. Now that you are going to graduate school and looking for scholarships, it is crazy of how much free money there is to attend a university. I would tell myself to look up scholarship diligently and often because there are people who would pay for your education.

Sydney

College isn't as big and scary as everyone thinks. It's what you make it. College isn't going to hold your hand the whole time like in highschool. You won't pass with flying colors if you don't make the effort. It's your job to come to class and make sure you understand the material. If you need help, you go to your teachers office hours or get a tutor. On the other hand, make sure you balance out your social life. There are so many people from so many different places, you're bound to meet someone who you just click with. Yes you can party but remember to balance. You have the freedom to make choices, just make sure you're picking the right one. Overall all if you're not having fun and enjoying your experience, you're not doing it right.

Firstly, go to college!!! We live in a society in which a college degree or vocational certification is required for well paying jobs. In terms of transitioning to college, remind yourself that now is the time to spread your wings. Do not confine yourself to the social groups that you were comfortable in, in high school--branch out, meet different people. Also, respect your professors--it will go a long way.

Nadia

The biggest advice I would tell myself, would be not to procrastinate. I would also tell myself to find several different ways to study .My hardest transition was the fast pace and demand on my homework, esp my English essays. Since I was homeschooled all my life, I had to get used to sitting in a classroom as well. I would also tell myself to go to the workshops and do the extra credit the teacher gave us, because you could really need it. Even though I passed all my classes my first semester, I would have liked the extra credit. I also learned depending on your social life, sometimes your friends should wait and school is for sure the #1 priority. Overall I would tell myself, don't procastinate and take every opportunity to get good grades!

I would tell myself to take each day at a time and not get overwhelmed. Work on your time management and organizational skills. Cherish this time in college and take all the opportunities you can to make friends and try new things. Keep a job to make money but also make time to socialize. Remember that studying is important. Take advantage of the knowledge of your professors. Network and make connections. Go to more sporting events and concerts. It will take time to get used to the new setting and lifestyle but you are blessed to go to this school so be happy.

Kenia

I would advice myself to take less courses, especially the first semester. I would also advice myself to become active in campus as soon as possible.

Aiyana

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to practice opening up to people and be braver in regards to meeting new people. I was rarely the kind of person to go up to a random person and begin a conversation, and even when I did, I could barely hold the conversation for too long before my awkwardness and shyness kicked in. This trait was hard to shake when I got into college, where I, like everyone else, knew no one. It was hard to make friends because I hadn’t learned how to be more spontaneous and open to meeting new people. I learned that having a group of friends to hang out with is a very important aspect to college life. If I could go back in time, I’d definitely tell myself to make some changes to my social skills and to start meeting new people everywhere I could. Practice makes perfect, and I am now getting better at being more sociable!

If I were able to talk to my high school self, I would tell her that she should only apply to schools that she is truly passionate about going to. I got talked into applying to some schools in Texas by my mother and I did get into them but my heart wanted to go out east. Luckily, I got into one of the schools that I was drooling over, but if I could've had more options out of state then I could have been able to look around and see which school would offer me the most money so that I wouldn't be in quite the financial bind that I currently am since my parents do not pay for any of my schooling. I would also want to tell myself to open up to love because ever since my parents divorce I have been afraid to trust people, and if I were to give people the chance then I could be truly happy.

Mariah

Since my major is known widely as one of the hardest at the University, I was afraid I wouldn't really have time for extracirriculars. I didn't really get involved in some things that I wanted to because I figured why bother? I wasn't going to have time to see them through because my coursework would take up too much of my time. I would tell my high school self not to restrict myself or use my coursework assumptions as excuses for not getting involved. I ended up finding out there were people in my major who were involved in the very same clubs and activities I was interested in (like ski club, for example). I would tell myself that freshman year is the lightest year as far as coursework goes and is meant for trying new things--so go for it! Do what you want and if it doesn't work out, then fine, at least you know and are sure you didn't miss out on something great!

Veronica

When I look back to high school days, I see a hopelessly timid, quiet, and overly cautious girl. Many students look back to high school and say, ”I wish I focused harder, tried harder, and avoided the sways of procrastination.” Of coarse I look back and point out that I could have studied a little harder (everyone can always do better), but a lack of focus was never a problem for me in high school. My inability to be outgoing prevented me from reaching my highest potential. Now in college, I think, “why was I so afraid?” If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself, “Life gets much better than this Veronica. There is no need to be afraid and shy, for it only holds you back. You are a smart, talented, and funny young lady. Let the world know it! Speak up! Sharing your ideas will not only help you improve in school, but it may even help other students improve as well. You will be surprised how much a positive change in attitude will help you succeed not only in college, but in everything you do”.

Krishna

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self any advice, it would be to never doubt yourself. You know what you love, so go for it. I spent so much of my time earlier on trying to make others happy that I forgot who I was and what my passions were. I wish I had accepted those earlier on. I would also advise myself to exhaust all financial options as soon as possible. It has always been a struggle financially at Syracuse, but I think if I had realized this earlier and prepared myself, my parents and I would have had an easier time. Despite the advice I would give myself, my time at Syracuse has been enjoyable, even through the tough times Even if I had the chance, I wouldn't give up my experience at this university for the world.

SAHIL

College will grant you the ability to actively participate and immerse yourself in any subject hat interests you. Too often, students focus on theory and the text of a subject, often neglecting the human element. As a college student, you will be able to continue learning about everything and anything you could think of. The individuals in the text book are no longer obscure names, you will see them teaching and mentoring you everyday. You will enjoy being a student and should be grateful for the numerous opportunities you will have in college. From community service to studying abroad in a country that is no where similar to the United States. Be prepared to challenge yourself in a different capacity. Continue to be educated, network, and eventually improve the world. Sure, the transition will be hard. You won’t have your mothers food, nor will you have the comforts of home. But this is all in part of, as corny as it sounds, growing up. You will see so much more diversity, intellect, and enthusiastic students that you will never see anywhere else. This is truly, an opportunity of a lifetime.

edam

Edam,Remember the weeks you spent trying to learn a monologue and at the day of presentation you choked in front of your class? But, after that, you recovered and did it so smooth that you got a standing ovation. Our life is somewhat like that. The product will not always be as perfect as we imagined, but the effort you put in the process will show. The long days of breakdance practice and creating choreography to prepare the team may seem meaningless, but will pay off. A lifestyle of independence that you hope for will become a reality and the family problems you face will arrange themselves in a way that you may not like. But, please take on the challenge of being more productive toward your family and your art. Focus Edam, but in all, do what makes you feel accomplished because not knowing what is to come adds that sense of adventure to our life. “Look forward, for only pigs look down when they walk, even a dog has the decency to raise its head once in a while”. These wise words from our grandmother will always stick with us, and you will soon understand their importance.

I would tell myself to get a better sleeping and homework schedule. I tend to put things off until the last minute. Though it usually works for me, I know I would feel better If I got things done and out of the way. I would also tell myself to be involved in more things. I'm not a junior and wish I had joined a club or two during my freshman year in order to meet new people.

Shevin

Stay on track Shevin; you can succeed in any career you choose. Making the transition into college is not as hard as you may think. You just have to apply yourself a little more than your used too. College life is not all about partying and having fun, its a time to learn more about what you do best and thats helping others. You love sports and helping people when they're hurt so choose a field where you can be around both. Take the extra time to may have to study or even practice on certain things for your courses. Shevin like your mother always said your smarter than what you act, so start acting like your a smart student and take your school work seriously. I know you can become successful in anything you do, you're well-rounded you just have to apply yourself with hardwork and dedication like you would in sports. Stay on track Shevin your hard work will pay off one day soon.

Kerby

I would tell myself that the hardest part of college was paying for it, and to apply to more scholarships.

The one thing I would say to my high school self, is keep moving forward. Never give up! I learned that my first year here, and I live by it everyday. Everything doesn't always go as planned. So when that happens, you have to be ready to get back up and try again. The only failure is not trying or giving up too quickly. Everyone make mistakes, especially in college, but that's what college is for. It teaches you that when things don't go as expected, or something doen't go your way, you must keep moving forward! Also, don't be afraid to be social butterfly and break out of your shell. That's what this time is for, to make connections and network. If you don't take advantage of it, you're only wasting time and money. So in conclusion, be active, be friendly, and keep moving forward!

Malgorzata

With age comes intelligence. Or so they say. Looking back, there are many things I would do differently my senior year of high school. My studying habits, my time management, and my overall attitude towards my academics are all things I would alter. I would take my SATs perhaps just one more time, or try to raise my GPA . However, the single most important thing that I have learned over the past couple of months is just how important getting involved is. Participating in various clubs and activities allows student to meet new people, make different groups of friends, network with important adults, and truly find your passion. I am learning that now, as a college student, by getting involved in different groups on campus. However, if I had done this during my time in high school, I could have met many different people, or made important connections for myself. I could have found what it is that I am truly passionate about and maybe figured out where I wanted to be in ten years. So, the advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to get more involved in school and in the community.

Stella

I went into college not knowing how the system works and I had a very difficult time in my first semester because I did not recieved much advice from people who had the experience. The transition from high school to college was also very difficult because they are so different from each other. One advice I would still keep in my head today is to not slack and fall behind with class work and homework. You would have a lot of freedom in college so you would think that "oh, I am going to have time to do it later so I will start later." But since everything in college moves so fast, you will find yourself struggling and running out of time to finish before you know it. So what I would do now in my second semester in college is that, do all my work on the same day that they were assigned so that the information are still fresh in my mind. Also, Instead of being distracted in hanging out with friends, I would also find time to talk to my professors and introduce myself to them so I could leave a good impression in their mind.

Dan

Don't be so hard on yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day. You know more than you think you do. Don't let other people tell you what you are or what you're good at. Make the most of your resources, but don't push yourself so far out on a limb that you are barely holding on. Do what you do best.

As a senior, I remember specifically choosing schools that were far away from home (at least four hours). But, once I got to campus I realized how much I missed my home. I missed my moms cooking and sitting by the fireplace at night, and I missed my sisters and cats. My current roommate is from just outside of Syracuse, and while she is at school she feels as if she is hours away from home. I have realized that living on a campus separate from my home is enough space to enjoy my college years and my independence. If I could advise my high school self about applying to colleges, I would suggest looking at schools closer to my home, rather that ones that are six hours away. I absolutely love Syracuse University and I am so glad I came here, but I certainly do wish I weren't so far from my family. If I would have known this when I was applying to colleges, I might have found just as good of a fit even closer to home, and been just as happy there as I am on campus here.

Caleigh

Even though you might think you can't wait to get away from home and start fresh, you will get lonely and you will miss the people you left behind. Cherish the times you have left with them. But don't let that get you down! You'll make new friends and have fun as long as you stay confident and optimistic. And remember, when you go to visit colleges, I recommend paying attention to two things that I did not: the other students at the school and the cost of tuition. There's a variety of people at every school, but will you fit in? And I know that by now you're getting tired of scholarship applications and essays, but don't give up! It'll help you out later. College can be overwhelming, but tackle it head on. Trust me, it's worth it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I think the first thing I would make sure to say is to remember not to loose sight of your purpose. College life offers many opportunites to get distracted or forget why you applied in the first place, such as getting caught up socially, taking advantage of the liberty if offers a young adult, extracurricular activities, and being able to pick and choose your academic track. Although college also offers just as many opportunites for academic success and positive social aspects, it is much easier to fall into the options that are not as beneficial because everything is so new. I would tell myself to of course enjoy the college experience, meet new people, have a social life, join a club, pick up a part time job, but do not loose sight of why you are here. Take your academics seriously and make decisions that will support your academic success. There is no reason why you should not take advantage of your college experience, but do so in a way that will make the experience seem like a waste. Remember your purpose.

Alice

Stop worrying about getting rejected from colleges. Be more confident in yourself and apply to those Ivy Leagues, who knows what could happen. But since you picked SU, take that same fearlessness and be proud of your school - don't doubt your choice. Syracuse is cold but you really don't need to bring all 47 of your scarves; leave some stuff at home. Talk to your dad on the four-hour drive up to SU instead of sleeping, he may have some valuable insights. Listen to your mom, that guy you will meet freshmen year who showers you with compliments? Don't believe him because he's not that great. Also, don't try and get revenge by flirting with his next door neighbor. You'll meet some of your best friends your freshmen year, but that doesn't mean you can't always make new ones. College is all about creating your own experience. If your friends do one thing, it doesn't mean you have to. What really matters is how you apply yourself so take in as much as you can. You'll love the independence that university life brings, you'll love being an Orangeman.

Zhi

I will tell myself to be more involved in college. College for me is not defined by my academic success but more about my involvements on campus. You will be remembered for the contribution you made to the college you are enrolled in and the local community and not by your grades. Getting involved will also allow you to build strong relationships with faculty members and meet new friends. You will also get a lot of career opportunities through the organizations you are involved in. Another big thing I will emphasize is being open-minded, you will interact with so many different people and attend many different events, you will get so much more out of your college experience by being open-minded and trying new things. In addition, remember that academics always come first and do not jeopardize your grades. It is always better to build a strong GPA early than trying to play catch-up in your Junior or Senior year. Most importantly, remember to have fun!

Xixi

Dear Me, It’s ok to follow your interest to pick major, but the advice from your family was important, too. Don’t be too obstinate to hurt everyone who loves you. Art and design majors require portfolio. If you could realize this earlier, you don’t have to rush up portfolio in a month. It’s completely fine if your first choice rejects you. Don’t be depressed. You should trust the school which gives you a chance to pursue your dream. Don’t look down on any class though its course number only starts with one. Follow your heart and gain whatever you want to learn. Don’t flinch from doing anything because your ‘friend’ said don’t. You aren't a freak to get dual-major and dual-minor. It’s always ok to do marchingband with heavy schoolwork and join any activity you like. I wish you could see this letter to make my life much easier, but also wish you won't. If you knew everything ahead, you won't try so hard to accomplish what you can. You will not be who you are, and I won’t be who I am. Best, Me

KyuSik

Syracuse University has a great IT program. However, it is expansive and I can start focusing on my major starting from junior or sophmore year. $56,000 dollars just to take regular required courses is just a waste of money. So apply for scholarships and fiancial aid so you don't spend as much as money and help my parents. Also, Syracuse is different from my high school. People up there are not devoted Christians like you. You are going to have a trouble making new friends because they enjoy partying too much. But don't let them interfere your relationship with God. Be faithful and strong.

If I had the chance to go back in time, I would have said two things to tell myself. First and foremost, I will tell myself “college will not be easy, take that thought out of your mind!” I say this because if I had someone who emphasized this statement on me while I was in high school, I feel like I would have been more prepared. I was an A student. I graduated high school being rank as part of the top 10. I thought that since I did well in high school, I would do the same in college. However, when I started taking college courses, it was the complete opposite of what I expected. This statement would have done me justice because I would have known about the reality of college. Yes, I have friends who were in college before I entered but I thought I would be okay. Fortunately, I have now transitioned to my college level of thinking. I know that my first semester was a transition that I needed to force myself to stand strong. Secondly, “ it is not the name of the school that matters but the degree one conquers from a school.”

I would tell my senior self to enjoy the ride. Every moment is important, but most importantly I would've told myself to enjoy every course and take skills from every course I took. It's easy to get bogged down with the importance of the course and trying to be the best, but the most important thing is to develop and grow from the classes. Yes, it's the final stretch and you might be tired - but push and keep going. You've worked hard enough to get to where you are - why stop now? Also, don't forget to take time to let it all sink in. It's easy to get into the rush of clubs to keep up with and grades to maintain - but you have to remember that it's not all for your college resume. All the things you're doing that last year are telligns of your passions, so enjoy them and learn from them. It's anout what you take from it - not the grade. So stop stressing over it. You'll be just fine.

Nurkurniati

“Change is inevitable,” I would start. I don't mean the strange feeling of having a new teacher every period. I’m referring to changing your daily habits and stepping out of your currently constructed world. There will be no one home when you get back from class. Get used to being alone and feeling uncomfortable in situations, there will be a lot of it. DO NOT obsess about receiving the perfect grade for every assignment given to you, there won't be enough time to deal with that. You will find geniuses in your class that won’t ever have to work as hard as you to receive an A. You will interact with peers who have extremely successful parents and have much more than you ever. But none of that is important. College isn’t just about the education. What’s important is getting a better understanding of who you are, understanding your strengths and working smarter. What’s important is understanding what drives you and what you are doing to get there. You will face adversity. You will face weakness. But learning how to face them both head-on with patience and wisdom is what’s important.

The advice I would give to myself would be to not wait so long to come out of my shell. I wasted a full year of not trying new things and not leaving my comfort zone that I could have been in a place of true happiness a lot earlier. I knew I made the right choice the second I moved in, but I would tell myself to never question that and take every opportunity that was thrown at me. I would say that the amount I would learn academically as well as about myself and others, and the incredible amount of fun I would have, would most definitely outweigh any feelings of nervousness, regret or homesickness. And that a few years down the road, I would be better off and still happy and content with decision, so I should make the very most of it, no matter what.

hey you I know you do not think high school is important but, coming from the future I have some advice for you. Do all you can to prepare for college. This means develop better study habbits and pay attention in class, ask questions. the trasition to college can be a difficult one and the more you prepare now the better off you willl be once you go to college. Another major part of transitioning into college is understanding that many times college proffesors are not their to babysit you and make sure you are doing your work it is all up to you. so you better start motavating your self to do what you have to do to succed. the last piece of advice I would like to give you is to be confident because even though college can get tough it is nothing that you cannot handle.

Jayme

As a high school senior I feel that I was prety prepared for what I was going to experience throughout college. I came into college knowing that I could be whoever I wanted and it was up to me to do whatever I wanted. I think that I would have began to take advantage of this more as a freshman and sophomore in college if I had completely realized this though. I spent the first two years of college trying to find my place in this school and figuring out what I wanted to do. I definitely made up for this a lot in the last two years of my college career by becoming involved in many different organizations, going abroad, and meeting a lot of new people. But sometimes it makes me wonder where I would be now if I had began to get myself more involved as soon as I enrolled my freshman year. Even with that I still believe that this is the best place I could have gone for my college career and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Dear old self, This is you from the future. I would like to inform you that transitioning into college life may seem scary at first but believe me when I say it will feel like a home away from home. I am currently going back to mom and dad's house for winter break and frankly part of my heart is breaking because I have to leave. So don't fear what's going to come when you move to college, enjoy the time and memories you'll make when you go and always remember, get prepared for that snow! P.S. You got accepted into Syracuse University now go wake up mom!