Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Syracuse University is such an amazing school but its location is the most frustrating aspect of the school. Yes, we do get terrible weather in the winter and bipolar weather in the fall but thats just the cons of living in New York. Within the university there is always a postive and friendly vibe. The frustrating aspect of it is how close townees are to the university. People who arent affliated with the school often bully, rob or threaten Syracuse students in certain areas throughout the campus. It is frustrating waking up to emails about these crimes and being worried.

The most frustrating thing about school was time management. It is hard to put study hours, classes, class readings, commnuity service and extra curricular activities all in one calender. I just felt overwhelmed because I didn't know how to organize myself and how to take time off my busy schedule to do other activites. Mastering time management is key for a successful student life at college. It seems that its impossible to accomplish on organzing your time but it will come. I went to a time management session in my college and it really helped me for the best.

The most frustrating thing about my Syracuse isn't neccessarily a bad thing. There are so many options and so many things happening, its hard to pick and choose what programs and events I would like to be a part of. I often find myself pacing back and forth in my mind, trying to determine which classes and opportunities will benefit me the most in the long run. Sometimes it can be a struggle because everything looks to interesting and promising. Although I'm indecisive, the experiences available to me are incredible. So much to do, so little time.

The most frustrating thing about Syracuse is that students can be trapped in their own bubbles if they are not careful. It is very easy to forget about the "real world" while attending school. Though the news is available to students through free newspapers and TVs in the dorm lounges, current events are not a part of discussions students have among themselves, or included in topics brought up by professors. The university tries to promote Scholarship In Action, but the reality falls short. Being in a bubble is not good for anyone.

The campus can seem to be politically charged during some events, whether they occur on or off campus. While this is certainly enriching to listen to pertinent discussions on real-life issues, I do not think that bringing that sort of bias into the classroom is beneficial. This has not happened too many times but certain conflicts, such as the Iraq War, have skewed professor's lectures and their teachings. At times, this can interfere with the learning process and as it is not in sync with the mission of Syracsue University.

The amount of professors and teaching assistants that do not speak english as a first language. They are some of the best and very knowledgable professors, however the language barrier is very frustrating some times. This is not the case for all colleges within the university, but within engineering there is definitely a large share of foreign professors and teaching assistants. It makes getting help and really understanding difficult, especially when they do not understand questions or why students don't understand.

The most frustrating thing about all schools is that it limits what you can learn in a certain time period. For example, they will not let you take more than 19 credits a semester even if you wanted to get the most out of your college career. I am a Mechanical Engineer major and most of my classes are already planned out but I also wanted to do Aerospace Engineering which is very similar to Mechanical Engineering. After I couldnt take Aerospace as well I also wanted to take Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

The most frustrating thing about Syracuse is that it's a college that prides with diversity yet everyone who attends Syracuse will tell you otherwise. The greek life at the school dominates everything from what people wear, to what bags they carry, and even what computers they use. For the most part students here look the same, talk the same, and act the same. Even those students who do consider themselves diverse will fall into some sort of conformity whether it's the phone they use or the backpack they wear.

I must say that the most frustrating thing about my school thus far is both the location and the not-so-friendly students. I am a transfer student from San Diego, CA and the weather is wonderful there! We recieve the vitamin D from the sun that enriches our social behavior, I haven't met the friendiest students here yet, and it's making the transition a little bit more difficult for me. The location of the school is in the northern territory of New York state, so its very cold, which can be a little distracting.

I think that the most frustrating thing about Syracuse University are the dinning halls when there is any kind of special events on campus or if there is a football or basketball game. I found myself waiting for about 10 minutes to be able to get a little bit of pasta. On the plus side, you can see the school's spirit every time these things happen. I guess you just have to run to the dinning halls before any game is over to be able to get everything you want without having to wait.