Syracuse University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Syracuse University

Cayla

I have always wanted to go to Syracuse. Whilst it is an expense and sometimes does not live up to it's cost, it's an amazing school. As a freshman and speaking on my college experience so far, it's really a hidden gem that will give you the quintessential college experience! My college experience has been great academically and socially and at the end of it all you're going to get in what you put out.

Katie

Syracuse University is a fantastic school. There is a great social scene and everyone will find their place where they fit in. The school is very sports oriented, but there are tons of other clubs and extracurricular activities if you aren't into sports. Everyone has so much school spirit and everywhere you go the atmosphere is buzzing with positive energy. Most of the professors truly care about students and want them to achieve their best and I feel like I am getting a wonderful education. The campus is beautiful as well. Overall, I love Syracuse University and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Go Orange!

FAN

Joshua

It is a great school for journalism and analytics. The atmosphere is very party heavy, but you aren't pressured to participate in the activities if you do not want. Syracuse is huge into sporting events, especially basketball. There are many great organizations on campus depending on your interests.

Naomi

For the amount we're paying to go here, they could at least learn how to cook the dining hall meat correctly.

I'm an advertising major and I came for the Newhouse program and it's amazing. The professors are very passionate and knowledgable. Socially its diverse which is great, though it can be a little segregated at times.

Jemila

Academically, Syracuse University is probably one of the best schools out there. So far I have liked all of my professors, though some were better at teaching than others, each was passionate about their field of study and were always happy to assist students however they could. Socially, SU is made up of a very outgoing and loyal student-body. If you're an extroverted person you'll have no time making friends, but for those of us who are more on the quiet side it may take a little longer. Still, as an SU student you're guaranteed to have fun no matter what.

Lauryn

For my freshman year, I lived in the STEM focused dorm. I enjoyed being surrounded by people with similar interest and it made studying to test much easier. I know a few dorms are known for fire alarms going off (mostly cause of burnt popcorn) but my hall did not have this problem. Food on campus is good on most days and mediocre on others. Thankfully the school is close to Marshall street, a well know stop for students to go grab food or shop at cvs. For the most part people are friendly. Be aware that because sports culture is strong here, and parties are a constant scene on weekends unless the snow here is too much. (Syracuse tends to snow a bit so grab a jacket) I enjoy the overall atmosphere of the school and the people I have met.

Elisabeth

Overall, Syracuse is a good school. The campus is safe and well maintained. Professors are engaging and are always willing to provide extra help to those who ask. While I don't find the university housing appealing, there are private apartment complexes extremely close to campus, with bus stops right outside.

Kevin

Syracuse is a great school for students to live and grow. Not only do we work hard, but we play hard as well. I have learned so much about myself in the past year academically as well as socially and fiscally. I just got out of my freshman year and I can't wait to go back and accomplish more.

Andre

SU is a great place, attending has been probably the greatest life choice I've ever made. With that being said, it does have its faults. Lots of campus housing does need an upgrade, the food leaves a lot to be desired, and the climate is harsh. Also diversity is something that needs to be better discussed because there is a grave lack and no one seems to care, and that contributes to the unspoken segregation of campus. But the atmosphere is great, there are few things like basketball at the Carrier Dome and it is a work hard play hard environment.

cece

its huge and always busy

Melissa

The environment is safe and fun. There is always something to do and I love the basketball team!

Michelle

Syracuse University has welcomed me with open arms and the amazing opportunities that this school brings to their students is wonderful. With over 300 clubs, there is really a place for everyone. From Greek Life to academics, Syracuse really has it all. Attentive teachers and caring staff helps SU fill the campus with real Orange spirit.

Kaylee

I love it here wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There is always so much going on and to do. It is a very exciting place to be especially on game day. Most people live for the sports teams. The dome is a great place to be. The professors are very intelligent and it's amazing to see what Alumni are accomplishing around the world.

Trevor

Syracuse University has something for everybody. It boasts a wide array of academic programs whose quality range from average to excellent. The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, the School of Architecture, and the S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications are among the finest in the country in their respective fields. Syracuse University's campus is actually quite beautiful and, for the most part, its facilities and academic buildings are nice. The weather can be intimidating, but it's never so bad that you can't manage it. From a social standpoint, the school leaves more to be desired. Clouded by a heavy presence of Greek Life, Syracuse's social scene largely consists of exclusive frat parties. One might look at the student body and sense arrogance and entitlement more than friendliness and welcoming. Still, with over 15,000 undergraduate students, there is a large pool from which you will find a crowd that suits you if you look hard enough.

gina

The most cliquey, relentless, horrible, stuck up, nasty, self-doubt, malicious, un-empathetic, egotistical brain dead faculty and students I have ever met. BY the way the greek system is awful they purposefully avoid you if they know you are not in greek, the frats are even worse just a bunch of mindless nobodies going onto drinking. By the way I like to have a good time too...but Jesus even during the week there will be ambulances for those who got alcohol poisoning. Lol by the way I'm not a geek if I'm not greek...greeks had to pay to have friends lol you are literally paying so um.... no Im not desperate or a geek (as survey suggested)lol I go out every weekend with my friends but of course have to be careful because.....you guessed it....roofies, people around here are disgusting! STAY AWAY FRO SU IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE! oh fyi ....every week I get a email saying to be on the lookout because someone got robbed?

Julie

I am a first year student and I couldn't be more happy with my decision to come here. The facilities are fantastic, professors are very helpful, the sports are crazy, the support and student atmosphere is awesome, and the food actually isn't bad at all. I'm loving my first year and all the opportunities Syracuse is giving me.

Alexander

I love the academics of the school, and I love the opportunity it provides me. The size of the school is something that, to some, might feel intimidating. However, after two full semesters here, you start to realize that the amount of students do not affect your learning in a negative way. Instead, I find that due to the large size of the school, i am able to meet new people every week and to interact with a plethora of different types of people, introducing me to new cultures and ideas.

Samuel

The school has numerous problems from rampant greek life to its obvious high tuitions and lack of financial aid. There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people and participate in student life. However theres quite a bit of debilitating inter-college focus.

Aidan

Absolutely beautiful campus. Students were very friendly. Several shouted "Go Syracuse" as we were taking a tour of the college. The engineering department texted me and had a special presentation for those of us interested in Engineering. They took us on a special tour of the engineering building and answered all our questions. They contacted the department head of the honor program and set up a meeting for me. Everyone was extremely helpful and willing to answer all my questions.

Richelle

After completing my freshman year at Syracuse University, I was in complete awe. Believe it or not, I had never visited Syracuse University before I moved in last August so I honestly didn't know what to expect. However, I absolutely love it. The professors are great, there is a lot of diversity, there are so many clubs you can join, and just so many things to do on campus. ALthough we are a very big school, it has a small school feel to it because there are so many opportunities for everyone to feel integrated. The academics are great. Some majors more than others give you a lot of freedom when it comes to choosing your classes. Also, there are requirements that make you take classes that are outside of your major. This way you can become a more worldly and well rounded student. Aside from academics, there are also a lot of activities going on on campus. In the Schine Student Center, organizations are usually tabling in order to try and integrate the Syracuse community and get people interested in their organization. If you want to do something there is something for you and if there isn't it's easy to start it! The school pride is also off of the charts! I’ve never seen people so excited to see an orange walking around campus. I worked at The Dome and I’ve attended a lot of games and the energy is amazing. The only negative thing I have to say is that Syracuse, New York is a very poor city. There is not much to do outside of the university if you don’t have a car. Thankfully, the university does an extremely good job at constantly having activities for the students to participate in. I really love my school and I’m glad I made the decision of attending Syracuse University.

Charles

Overall, Syracuse University is a great place to be challenged academically and to engage in a social scene. Or, at least that's my immediate perception of it. As a transfer student, my experience with the university has certainly been different from most. As stated previously, it's a great school academically and I feel that I will be sufficiently challenged throughout my time here. That said, I wish that their office of transfer student affairs, or the equivalent, were more helpful in evaluating my previous education at community college. As someone with an associate's degree, I was expecting my credits to transfer over rather seamlessly; I've already finished half of my undergraduate education, so why can't my evaluation reflect as much? I understand that Syracuse is a private university and therefore prides itself on its unique academic environment, and that after jumping through some hoops, so to speak, some miscellaneous requirements have been waived, but my problem is that they weren't more helpful, or that I had to make several phone calls and pay extra to all of my old academic institutions, and be kept in anticipation regarding my credit evaluation. The reason I decided to go to community college was to save money and build up my GPA before graduating with my bachelor's, and while Syracuse has been somewhat helpful in helping me plan for my future, I would have greatly appreciated it if they went just a little bit further. However, after some time and several phone calls and a moderate amount of emotional distress, my education at Syracuse is right where I believe it should be, and I anticipate being sufficiently challenged and enlightened during my time here.

ciara

SU is a school I will always be proud to call my alumni. It has a great background, and produces amazing graduates that end up doing wonderful things in the world. Graduating from SU over 5 years ago, i still stay in contact with a few of my professors, as well as my academic advisors. It is an amazing place to get an education.

Lydia

I really like Syracuse University because the academics are super strong and the professors are super great at helping their students. The people on campus are really nice and campus can be seen as a safe place for people to be who they are without judgment. Plus the athletic atmosphere is so amazing because the school spirit is through the roof. My experiences so far have definitely been positive. I am very happy I chose Syracuse. #bleedorange

Smote

Syracuse is known as the party school and many people know about our basketball team. However, if you're not interested in that, it really doesn't seem to be so overwhelming that you can't ignore it beyond the irritation of parking during game nights. The people are friendly and the professors know what they're talking about. It's a great university for all types of people from the party-lovers to the quieter students. Off campus housing can be can be hit or miss and it's suggested to start looking early. It's great to have a vehicle or friend to go to grocery stores since on-campus eats can get pricey. Be sure to check out the InnComplete bar on campus - graduate students get a discount!

Tabor

I believe that Syracuse University is a very good school to go to. The motto that fits the school best is "Work Hard Party Hard". During the week students are very dedicated to getting work done and work constantly. Then, on the weekend people let loose and party. The academics are great, and the faculty is absolutely wonderful. I recommend the school to everyone applying to schools.

Angela

Syracuse University is a beautiful campus. I could spend hours looking up at the beautiful stonework and vines hugging the historical buildings, or the surrounding environment filled with green grass, trees, and flowers. Walking through campus I feel a sense of power and awe knowing the history that has occurred on this site, thinking of the athletes and scholars who have walked the very same hallways, and the fact that I have the privilege to be the next scholar and make my own mark on history. As a student of Syracuse University I feel anything is possible, and it is. There are several opportunities to get involved in student organizations, community outreach, research, employment and internships. Then, there's the school spirit, there is a level of pride among students, staff, and faculty that branches out to the entire community. On game days most of the campus is wearing blue and orange hoodies, hats and sweatpants in support of our athletes. The members of the community pour in wearing their own Syracuse colors and believe no matter how good or bad the team is doing this season that we are going to win. I am proud to call myself a student of Syracuse University.

Calvin

Syracuse University has a 3 million virtual aerospace engineering facility where students can help design a reusable space launch vehicle. Syracuse is my number one choice because students can take part in NASA's reduced gravity flight program. Syracuse University prides itself on personalized instruction, 41 percent of an engineering course have a class fewer than 20 students. The best thing a student like me could often do is build a close relationship with my professors.

Calvin

Tracey

The school is segregated when it comes to race, the food is okay usually needs some seasoning. There are lots of resources on campus and activities/clubs to do or join, but the campus could do better with catering towards the people of color on campus. The administration is sketchy, there is no 100% transparency between the students or faculty. The faculty and professors are helpful also understanding especially during times like this with COVID-19. A lot of people get sucked into the party culture, but you can find people who are not all about that and are genuine, you just gotta look in the right places. Also, it snows A LOT so keep that in mind it can impact your mood and changes the mood of the whole campus.

Ruth

Syracuse University is a beautiful campus with some of the best facilities I have ever seen or known. The teachers in the business school are extremely open, friendly, and drive you to be your best. I can't speak about the teachers in other parts of the school, but I can say that if a business school is what you are looking for, the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse is the best of the best. When it comes to culture and life on campus, the food isn't terrible but can get a bit predictable, Greek Life is pretty prevalent and overwhelming, if you want to be a part of a bigger community but don't know what you feel towards social greek life, I highly recommend you join a professional fraternity that gives you a nice balance of work and friends. Dorm life is not as bad as people make it to be, the Freshman dorms are further from the center of campus but is a manageable walk. If you really don't like the dining hall food, Marshall Street is your go-to for foods like Chipotle, Sushi, Bubble Tea, and Starbucks. The school does have downsides as well. Syracuse University is not as diverse as it claims to be. It preaches of diversity, when for the most part, it is very segregated because students don't take action to expand beyond their comfort zone. Additionally, since Syracuse is a private school, the demographics is further limited due to the price of the school. Overall, the academics is great, the people are mediocre, the food is okay, and the activities is great.

Jenna

My overall opinion of Syracuse University is that it is the gateway to possibilities. Being able to attend Syracuse is a privilege in my eyes and I worked extremely hard to get here today. I am an alumni from Le Moyne college and am enrolled in a second undergraduate program here at Syracuse. This campus is a place where I will meet life long friends and make a professional out of myself.

Cris

As a graduate student, it is a good place to be and there is plenty of opportunity for intellectual engagement. The culture of the university is one where students get involved to push for change, yet often the Board of Trustees and administration continues to go their own way. It has changed a lot over the years, and not for the better, in my opinion.

Amani

I loved this campus when I visited it last month. I did nt start my college search prior to the visit now that's my number one school and I'm doing everything j can to get into it. I really want to go here the food was good the dorms were a decent size the people were very friendly and overall I had a great time.

Kelly

Syracuse University is a fun, traditional school with a lot to offer. There are spaces and opportunities for every student to succeed and have a great experience. I do find that there is a disconnection between the city of Syracuse and the University. It would make my experience a more vivid one if I had the opportunity to interact with the community more.

Mia

Overall, the university is a very friendly and comfortable place to live at and learn at. It's expected to not get along with everyone or all of the traditions, but SU does a great job of making sure everyone feels included somewhere or at something. The only complaint that comes to mind are the fact of options involving food and living space. The university​ as a whole could use a major update here.

Syracuse is a excellent school academically and sports wise. However the community of the school is somewhat divided. Usually students only hang out with other students of similar culture. This division can be seen in many groups, clubs and sorority’s/Fraternities.

Caitlin

Syracuse provides great opportunities for students through the range or academic programs, extra-curricular activities and opportunities surrounding the university. The school spirit is very strong and this makes the large student body feel even more close knit.

Kelly

I love Syracuse University. I have visited the campus several times before and I am planning on attending this institution​ in Sping of 2017. The Campus is so beautiful and welcoming. All students have a love and a drive to be at the college. There is never a dull day at Syracuse.

Heide

Syracuse is the best decision I ever made. I applied early decision to Newhouse (the communications school). There is a good balance between the social and academic scene here and there are also plenty of people that aren’t in greek life (if that is something you are concerned about, don’t be). The professors are really knowledgable and a lot of them have real job experience in there field, which really helpful for me as a T.V., Radio & Film major.

Brooke

I think Syracuse University is a really good place to be if you are very passionate about what you are studying and willing to work HARD! There are some issues, like with any school. I personally am not a fan of the dining hall food, even though I work at one of them, but I know a lot of people who are a big fan of the food. I live in University-owned off-campus housing which is apartment-style living and I am loving it! I am a little bit off-campus so I don't always feel like I'm at school 24/7 and I get to buy my own groceries and cook my own meals. I also have my own room! It's great!

Jamie

I absolutely love the school. The students are a true reflection of what it means to get the most out of college. Academics are highly prioritized and always come first. Social events, philanthropy, community service, and networking are also incredibly important. I am very close with many of my professors and the class size and overall school size is ideal as it can get.

As a minority in a heavily white populated school, it's sometimes hard to find your place at Syracuse University. Even with that struggle everyone is extremely nice, caring and excepting. Syracuse University has amazing faculty and staff members because they're all very passionate and compassionate. There's not always too much stuff to do around campus, but it's what you make of it by joining clubs and extra curricular activities. Get involved or you'll regret not making new friends and venturing out.

Katherine

Syracuse is a wonderful school that provides many opportunities for its students. The dorms, while not air-conditioned, bring students together during the winter months, creating a closely-knitted community. These students bleed orange and are proud to attend their school.

Madeline

There is always something you can do on campus, whether it be attending an architecture lecture by someone in the field after class, seeing the basketball team beat Duke, or go to a musical production downtown. There is something here for everyone and the students as well as the faculty and staff are super supportive for you to do your best.

Soleil

I love Syracuse University! I look forward to going to my classes, and enjoy myself in and out of the classroom. The opportunities given to me are endless! I live in a large, split double and absolutely love the amount of space I have. The weekends in Cuse are exciting, and there is always something to do. I plan to study abroad, and Syracuse's international program makes that task really easy. Overall have had a great experience so far!

Angelina

Syracuse is a great school, mostly because of the work hard, play hard mentality. It's very academically taxing, especially around midterm and finals time. Professors are generally very helpful, and teach meaningful things. Our school spirit is honestly crazy, and once you go to a game you'll understand why we're so proud!!

Elisabeth

Syracuse University is home. This campus cultivates an atmosphere of growth, learning and socializing. The dorms and layout of the campus is

Lillian

I went in hopeful about Syracuse but it just wasn't the right fit for me. Many do enjoy their experience but the ones that don't either transfer or tough it out. A big party school with "meh" academics. Party hard and work hard.. occasionally. Greek life is huuuuuge here and hard to avoid. The kids at Newhouse are pretentious, for no reason. Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but party a lot and go to dartys or the mall. People drink practically every day of the week. Great school to go to if all you want to do is party for four years and waste a lot of tuition money. The city of syracuse sucks too. have fun!