Syracuse University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Syracuse University

Elisabeth

Syracuse University is home. This campus cultivates an atmosphere of growth, learning and socializing. The dorms and layout of the campus is

Lillian

I went in hopeful about Syracuse but it just wasn't the right fit for me. Many do enjoy their experience but the ones that don't either transfer or tough it out. A big party school with "meh" academics. Party hard and work hard.. occasionally. Greek life is huuuuuge here and hard to avoid. The kids at Newhouse are pretentious, for no reason. Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but party a lot and go to dartys or the mall. People drink practically every day of the week. Great school to go to if all you want to do is party for four years and waste a lot of tuition money. The city of syracuse sucks too. have fun!

Kristiana

From the minute I visited Syracuse University, I knew it would become my second home. The people there are so kind and everyone bleeds orange. The food is outstanding for vegans, which being a vegan myself I was extremely nervous for. I am able to stay happy and healthy at my school with the amazing food accommodations. The big games are so much fun. Coming from a small school, I never had that school spirit. It really bonds us all together and makes us family.

Allegra

I love SU so much. I cannot imagine being anywhere else.

Jamie

I love this school. It is truly incredible.

T

Syracuse University is a wonderful school with so many opportunities to get involved both in and outside of campus. There truly is a place for everyone here on campus, and the school caters to pretty much everyone’s needs in terms of student interests. Great academics, great athletics, great student life, great school.

Victoria

It's a good school with a big sports scene and pretty big party scene as well, but if you're not into that it's definitely ignorable. Greek like is prominent but not everything. And while the weather is brutal, it's apart of the cuse experience. The campus is really nice, and the academics are good as well. the dorms aren't bad, and the dining hall while edible could be better but compared to other schools it's pretty good.

Marissa

I loved my time at Syracuse University! It is a big school and there are so many majors to choose from. The campus is extremely diverse and there are various interest groups/ activities that you can join. Even though the campus is big, my class sizes were small enough so I felt like I can ask questions and really learn from the instructor. Give Syracuse a visit! It’s a gorgeous campus with a lot to offer!

Jazmine

As a first year, I am thoroughly pleased as to how much they have to offer here. Like there are tons and tons f resources here from metal health spaces to free tutoring in a bunch of subjects! Even though the campus is pretty large, it doesn't feel that huge when you are able to see a few faces more than one time a day. Also, the school spirit is off the walls !!!! during the football and basketball games. Overall I would give Syracuse an A-, I wished they embraced more minorities with it being a predominately white institution.

Maxine

Mainly going to Syracuse just for my career. Academics for design programs are amazing. As for the social aspect, I find it kind of hard fitting in here - coming from a shy person. I've joined multiple student organizations and liked one so far. Dropped out the other two due to time availability.

Liz

The academics are excellent, the professors are great and the campus is beautiful. There are many serious students in campus but the Greek life drowns them out. The party scene is out of control and detracts from an overall awesome school. If the administration was willing to actually control the fraternities and sororities so that they were more tame, Syracuse's atmosphere would be much more welcoming. I also wish they would put more money into the College of Arts and Sciences and less into athletics.

Linzy

I love this place. As a triple major and very involved student, I still have so much fun and the atmosphere is incredible. There's no place like it. The housing is amazing, the food is great, the sports are electric, and the on and off-campus activities are amazing.

Syracuse University is a great place to branch out and try new things. If you like hiking, sledding, or skiing it is a wonderful place for that, but make sure you are prepared for it to snow for half the year. Most of the professors are great. If you can get through the large class sizes the first two semesters, you get to experience intimate classroom settings where there is lots of discussion and time to ask questions. I love Syracuse and if given the chance would chose to go there again. The people are amazing and there is always an opportunity to try something new on campus (especially with the Orange After Dark Program), so I highly recommend Syracuse.

Maggie

Syracuse University is a malleable and dynamic space for the curious student. There are plentiful opportunities to cater the educational experience to one's personal interests. For example, I was able to have two majors and one minor across two separate colleges at the University. Syracuse University also provides and interesting opportunity for social life. Greek life is very visible on campus and there is a definite "party atmosphere." This, however, is not terribly overwhelming. There are a significant amount of student activities and organizations on campus that champion diversity and social justice as well as a large amount of available on-campus jobs. The surrounding city life is not the best; the city is impoverished and the area local to the University is a little lacking. Outside the immediate University area there is rich cultural heritage and hiking to be found.

Ahlam

It's a great school with a beautiful campus. I have definitely met a lot of interesting people who have widened my world view. There are more international students than I expected (which is positive) as I enjoy a diverse background. Professors are friendly and helpful as well.

Jake

Even if you don't like it right away, Syracuse grows on you. Yes, the dorms can be gross, it's winter for most of the year, and you have to call a taxi to go anywhere, but it's a great school if you focus your energy in the right places. You don't need to be into partying or sports to have a good time, but if that's your thing (and it will be after your first weekend here), you're going to have the time of your life. Join a few clubs, meet the right people, and enjoy the experience. You're going to learn to love the snow.

Angela

As a freshmen coming from a small high school it's easy to feel lost in such a large school. I have discovered that the best way to make new friends are through parties. Sports are not as big at Cuse' as they might seem to be, maybe it's because we have not gotten to The Final Fours these past few years. Academics are pretty solid but the professors could be better.

Victoria

I could not have chosen a better school. I am an out of state student that was extremely hesitant to move so far away to a school where I knew no one. Syracuse is an incredible school, I have an incredible friend group and even better teachers. The social and academic life is unmatched I am in love with Syracuse University.

Brody

Great school to have fun at and really enjoy your college years. Syracuse students live for college basketball and use football as an excuse to darty (day party). It is a great time for all but if you are not a social butterfly, you are going to need to break out of your shell.

Analisa

I really like my classes and the advisors are really helpful. Its a really big school so definitely try to get involved, greek life is huge. If you're a city person you probably won't be a huge fan of the location, there's not much to do off campus if you don't have a car.

Micayla

I love Syracuse University because I have been involved in the school long before my attendance. As a member of the Syracuse area community, i have been a part of the Orange Nation for years. The city-wide love to the 'Cuse translates from the student through the city. The campus is absolutely stunning with numerous paths that wind between buildings. The architecture of the different schools represents different eras in history, a simple reminder of the deep roots within the University itself. School spirit flies high and I am proud to say that I Bleed Orange!!! #GoOrange

Joseph

Syracuse University is by far the best place for Student Veterans to attend and feel welcomed. There is a person available for any issues that may pop up through out the unconventional student veterans life. The classes are intellectually stimulating and your opinions are valued. The sports culture is outstanding. The city of Syracuse itself does not have that much to offer. It is slowly trying to reinvent itself with a downtown culture, but compared to larger cities it is laking.

Lucinda

It's cool if you're in Newhouse or the Sports Management program. Other than that, I wouldn't necessarily suggest it. There is SO MUCH greek life and unless you are down with paying for friends, you'll feel pretty uncomfortable. Prepare to have kids slack off on group projects because they're hungover, have a frat meeting, or scheduling a sorority fundraiser.

Zoe

Syracuse University is an amazing school. I feel at home on campus and I love going to the sporting events. When I first visited SU I found that every student seemed happy, people were walking and talking with their friends, joking around, and the atmosphere overall was really quite welcoming. This was what drew me to SU. I am now one of those happy students here on campus.

Bria

I love attending Syracuse University. There are bad days here but that is inevitable. I've met some of the best people here and lifelong friends. It takes a while to find your niche but you find your people eventually. College is what you make it wherever you go.

Ariana

Syracuse University has many outstanding academic programs that are recognized throughout the country. There are many clubs and extracurriculars to get involved in- there is definitely something for everyone! Campus is safe and housing options are fantastic. Can't forget about the unforgettable experience of an SU game in the Carrier Dome- GO SU!

Rachael

Syracuse is overall a great school. Granted, I am still in my first semester, but I think I have a good judgement so far of the school. The classes I have taken are great and I like my professors and TA’s. It feels like they are really here to help us learn. Syracuse is in a nice location, there is plenty of restaurants and shops in walking distance and an amazing mall is only a short ride away. Syracuse also has a great social life. There is always something going on on campus. Everyone is really friendly with each other. Going along with that, greek life is pretty big and many people join to make friends. Another thing that is very prevalent on campus is sports. Football games are when everyone gets together to support the oranges. But if you don’t like sports, there are countless clubs and other ways to get involved on campus. There are clubs for the arts, political clubs, religious clubs, and more. Syracuse is a community where you can find exactly what you’re looking for. You can find classes that interest and challenge you intellectually, clubs to meet people with similar views or people who enjoy the same things, greek life to make lifelong friendships, and an overall welcoming and fun experience. I honestly don’t have many complaints from my time here. The campus is beautiful and I am getting a great education. I couldn’t have asked for anything more from my college freshman experience, and I know it’s only going to get better from here.

Fallon

Syracuse is an amazing and wonderful institution. If you are looking for academics, sports, theater, active campus life, prestigious alumni, and anything else, Syracuse can provide you that. Even now, the Democratic Party Presidential Nominee is a Syracuse Alum. It's a true privilege and honor to be an Orangeman and it's something I carry with immense pride.

Aidan

Syracuse is a great University. I recently transferred here and have had a wonderful experience, in and out of the classroom. There are plenty of clubs and organization for students to get involved or to make friends. I highly recommend Syracuse University if you are considering to attend.

Tom

Syracuse University's biggest strength is providing opportunities for students to get involved and pursue their interests outside of the classroom, which ultimately ends up being more important on a resume. There are many different groups of students on campus as there are many high-quality academic programs on campus between Newhouse, Bandier, Falk, and VPA. I think the people at Syracuse are A1 but from my experience, you have to actively seek out intellectual conversation. The University does a great job of connecting you to alumni and work opportunities to get a job. Overall, you have the opportunity to get a great job if you put the effort in, but don't expect an intellectual or academically engaging environment.

Ashanti

Overall , I believe the school is great. However , if you are a minority or someone out of the white race you may feel a little out place however there isn’t really many racist acts. The campus is rather safe and the housing is amazing. The food is good compared to other campuses I have seen.

Maya Angela

I like it a lot. The academics in the school of architecture is exemplary. The professors work to help each student improve on their designs, and they were very accommodating once we switched to online education. The food in the dining halls is okay, and there is usually something you can find that is tasty and healthy to eat. There is not much to do in ways of shopping or eating out near campus, but one of the biggest malls in America is only a few minutes away via a free bus ride for students. There were some racist incidents on campus, but the majority of students came together to support one another and protest the horrible behavior and inadequate reaction from the institution. Professors were also very accommodating and supportive during this time by voicing their support for the students and accepting absences from students who felt unsafe after such incidents.

Brittnee

In general, Syracuse University is a commendable school. I am a freshman so I still have three more years to get to know the school as a whole but overall it's a good school. Syracuse provides countless resources and has a wide network. If you talk to the right people and are willing to look, there are so many opportunities available to those who want it. People are willing to help you if you want the help to do not be afraid to ask!

Katie

Syracuse University is a wonderful place to spend your four years of college at. I am currently a rising sophomore, and I couldn't love Syracuse more. The professors are wonderful and helpful, the students are kind and driven, and the environment and atmosphere is like none other. The student body always shows up ready to cheer on our teams every game day. Syracuse breeds an environment of learning but we know how to have fun. There are countless organizations on campus; you're bound to find something you love to do. Getting involved on campus is one of the easiest things you can do and every major makes their imprint on campus in some way shape or form. Another amazing aspect of Syracuse is the alumni network. There are so many Syracuse alums in every part of the workforce who are more than happy to give you internship or job opportunities, you just have to find them. Syracuse is a truly wonderful place, and I would recommend it to every senior looking at Syracuse or applying to college.

Mackenzie

I am a Musical Theatre Major in the Drama Department at Syracuse University. The acting portion of the MT program is the focus of the three areas. We take a class called "Core" freshman year that is a combination of 4 essential acting classes. We take two different voice classes, a movement class, and a technique class. We focus first on working as a group and discovering how our bodies work and how we can improve our control. There is also an Intro to Theater class where we learn how to analyze plays and empathize with characters. Syracuse is also known for having a great voice and dance program. We take private voice lessons with the best coaches that understand the physics behind the voice and they explain it in very interesting ways! We learn how to be healthy and maintain the longevity of our voices in our career. We also study IPA and anatomy of the human body to better understand how everything affects our voice and production of sound. The thing I love most about Syracuse is the family feeling. It’s a large university but you step foot into the Drama building and you immediately feel like you belong. Everyone loves you even before you arrive and it's so wonderful to experience the sense of pride students maintain about their work and the community we work so hard to maintain. Everyone loves each other and wants each other to succeed. We also have a partnership with Syracuse Stage, which is an equity theater, so if you get cast in a show enough times you could graduate already having your equity card! They treat everyone professionally and under the equity union standards because they want us to be as ready as possible for the professional world and familiar with our methods of to the time management. The final, and often unknown, perk of being a Syracuse Drama Student is the Tepper Semester Program. This program happens your final semester of your senior year. You spend the semester living in New York City getting a head start on meeting with agents and casting directors, working one on one in workshops, and auditioning for upcoming shows. It creates a seamless transition from college into the real world for the Performing Arts Majors and allows us to carry that sense of family into the next, exciting chapters of our life.

Leondra

Overall i am very happy with my choice of attending Syracuse University. There is room for improvement with inclusiveness of minorities and how greek life is governed. I also hope to see improvement on including part time students in college life such as voting for class president and purchasing tickets to sports events in the student section.

Brianna

Syracuse is a town in itself. Here, you can leave your high school life behind and branch out in ways you never would expect yourself to. I left a small town where I went to pre-k through high school with the same kids and everyone knew everyone. When I came to Syracuse I was definitely nervous but it was the right choice. The dorms are beautiful. The bathrooms on each floor are singles; shower toilet and sink. The food is doable.. obviously not like a home cooked meal but I don't find myself ordering food every night. The coursework is TOUGH but the professors here bend over backwards to assure you're getting the best education possible despite the large class size. I was looking for a school with both an academic and social scene. Here I can find friends to study with and go to parties with. This school does not pressure anyone into drinking. If you don't go out you're bond to find friends to stay in with and vice versa. This school really allows me to expand out of my comfort zone and has offered me so many amazing opportunities. Syracuse is a great choice for all different types of people.

Syracuse University is a highly reputable school for academics as well as athletics. It provides opportunities for all types of students and does not discriminate against anyone. I think the cost of tuition is a little much, but I appreciate the nice facilities that the University provides to its students and faculty.

Morgan

It has good student life. The students here hold others accountable for their actions. The meal plan could be adjusted, but still works well. The campus definitely has orange pride. The teachers are kind, and you can tell they care about the work and teaching they do.

MARTIN

I hated it from the first second and decided to transfer! Literally, the first day of classes 2 alumni came into my dorm during a fire drill and robbed everything of value in my room. The weather is awful and the town is SUPER dangerous and full of drug addicts and a very low socio-economic environment. Take one step off campus and you will be terrified! I was an A student and memorized some things for a Spanish test and got a 96! The teacher FAILED me because she said you cannot memorize something that someone helps you with. WHAT? I pulled something from my memory and it did not seem like my words so I got an F! The teacher said they could have expelled me! There are drugs everywhere and people drinking to puke all over the place. HATED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PLACE! So so so happy I am not going to be there sophomore year!

Olivia

It’s a good school, very cold, and is a party school but focuses a lot on academics also. If you’re a biology/chemistry/biochemistry major or pre med I suggest living in a learning community since you all take the same classes your first year so you have many people to help you with assignments and to study with.

Sunny

Syracuse University offers a unique college experience. The school spirit, beautiful academic buildings, top notch academic programs, diverse extracurricular opportunities, and strong alumni connections, make Syracuse one of a kind. I truly love going to this school, because I feel that Syracuse has provided me so many outlets to improve as a student, and just as a person. There is so much that this school offers, but it’s in your hands to go seek it out. At the Schine student center and in every academic building, walls are covered with posters enticing students to get involved with extracurricular clubs, service activities, and greek organizations. Our campus constantly has famous guest speakers come give speeches, lectures, or even TedxTalk’s. Our student body loves to have fun. The entire campus is lit up for every single game day. Everyone makes their way over to the Dome, dressed head to toe in orange. There’s a very big live music scene on campus. There’s a club called University Union that organizes our two biggest events: Juice Jam and Mayfest. They’re always such a blast. The school gets top music artists to perform, and the concert tickets are decently cheap. My favorite times with my friends has been going to these concerts. Overall, Syracuse University is an amazing college, and I highly suggest checking it out if you’re thinking about applying. The worst thing about attending school here is the snow, but the month or two at the beginning and end of each year make coming here worth it.

Renee

It's ok. Too expensive and not enough funding to aid students to complete their program. I am an off campus student that is taking courses online. The professors are very difficult to reach. They are only available via email, and I still cannot find their email written on any documentation. The textbook relationship seems like a scam. I'm a 1980's child, and having a physical textbook for the class is comfortable for me. ALL classes require the use of an online textbook system, that is required to purchase in order to have access to the home works. I have to pay for the online book to have access to the homework and exams, then I have to buy a physical copy to be able to annotate in a way that I'm comfortable. Therefore, I'm paying twice for the same thing.

ryan

When I first came here I had an open mind. However, now it has become clear that almost the entirety of the student body likes to party first and do anything else second. I tried to join an athletic club but the second time I showed up nobody else did. Not having a great time plan on transferring.

Cory

Great University with strong alumni, athletics, and professors with deep knowledge and a passion for education. The campus, although large is walkable and centrally located, with many University focused shops, restaurants and bars. The University is highly regarded and well respected in the North East.

Melissa

I love Syracuse University and I feel so privileged to be able to attend. My professors and classes are amazing and I look forward to learning new things every semester. The Syracuse feel around campus is always encouraging, exciting, and embracing. I feel connected to everyone here through our love of Syracuse, orange, and the winter.

Kevin

Syracuse is even better than I expected, staff at every level are very welcoming and make you feel part of the community right away. Also, you can find activities for all interests and spaces to develop any talents and interests you might have. Loving it here.

Myles

While Syracuse University brings fantasy to life for many students, the 76 thousand dollar per year tuition looms overhead casting a dark shadow. While there are some who find Syracuse and its financial requirements to be manageable, there are many who are faced with tough decisions regarding a highly regarded education.

Bethany

There were aspects of Syracuse University which I enjoyed immensely. However, the social scene was incredibly exclusionary and cliquey. Furthermore, there were not enough mental health resources for the student body size. The nightlife culture is dangerous and I knew many people who were roofied or assaulted on campus-- it is not a safe or comfortable environment.

Syracuse is a wonderful school. As a transfer student, I thought it was going to be difficult to become acclimated to a new school, but Syracuse could not have made the process easier for me. The people at Syracuse are so kind including the people who work there. Everyone wants to see you succeed and there are tons of opportunities even at the start of one's freshman year.