Tallahassee Community College

« See more reviews of Tallahassee Community College

I attended Lincoln High School my senior year as a dual enrolled student at my local community college. I encountered many situations such as disliking professors, taking classes I didn't particularly enjoy and sacrificing my precious free time that most students don't encounter until they're enrolled in college as a freshman. I was always in a rush to complete assignments and stay one step ahead of the game in school and in life that I forgot to breathe. The only advice I would give myself is to enjoy every minute of college. There were days that felt like I would never finish my homework, times that I wanted to go out with my friends but I couldn't, and countless weeks that it felt like my world would come to an end. Now, I've almost completed my A.A. degree less than one year after my high school graduation and it seems like the time has flown right out the window. In other words, work hard, but play harder. Take time to enjoy yourself and the new journey you are embarking on. College is a once in a life time experience that cannot be replaced.

I would tell myself, "Daphney" study harder because it will pay off big time, stop being so depress about this new school you moved to, forget about how much you hate this school, you'll be out of here in no time. Daphney this is not the time to be lazy, Get ready for college, its what you've been looking forward to. Daphney strive to make A's in everything so you can recieve bright futures, you are a very smart and beautiful girl so start using that head of yours, Believe in yourself and forget about what others may think of you or what they've said about you. College is not easy and its not like high school. Remember, you have to do this for you and your parents .Daphney be prepared for the future because you have a long road ahead of you, full of oppertunities. Also, Daphney, remember that you are blessed and highly favored so don't give up, everything will fall in place for you. You must trust, also belive in yourself and always have faith. One more thing Daphney, please save your money, your going to really need it for college.

I would start by saying your gpa is important. You have the intelligence to be a 4.0 student. There is a lot of scholarships you can qualify for if your gpa is high enough. You have to look beyond just high school right now. You cant wait till the last minute to come up with a plan. Be involved, go out and network and make as many contacts as you can now it may benefit you later. Strive to be above the norm and stand out from others. Ask questions, even though you think you do you do not know everything. Find ways to challenge yourself any leg up on the competetion would be an huge advantage. You are entering a global world now with a global economy. There are people from all across the world now competing for the same colleges, scholarships, and jobs. College just doesn't prepare you for a job it prepares you for life. So don't blow off high school and just coast to graduation. Excell yourself and take this chance to sharpen your skills. Once you leave you cant come back and the life you once knew is now gone. Be ready!!

If I could go back in time (which is scientifically impossible), I would definitely lecture to myself on why I shouldn't ignore the opportunities that were basically handed to me and ruin the mentality "I can't do it". The dialogue would go something like: "College is a transition into a more essential part of my life. I know for sure during your senior year, you was worried about what other people thought of you, thus making you not do certain things simply because "it wasn't cool". In reality, the only thing that should matter is the idea that helping you and everyone around you is the only right thing to do. Take every opportunity, take every chance to change, take every great idea and make it happen. No one is holding you back but yourself. Your education determines your future, not the new iPhone that is going to be discontinued as soon as the newer one is released. By the way, you need to take all the dual enrollment classes available, join all the clubs, and please make sure you sign up for the right college classes."

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would emphasize how important it is to be motivated for a career goal and not just a diploma. Back then I thought the most important thing was being in college and taking classes. I assumed the rest fell into place. I had no real plan- just illusions of the future. I would explain to my naive younger self the importance of long/short-term goals and the beauty of having a passion for something. I would stress time-mangement, the cost of living, and that college wasn't just about moving out and having freedom. I would tell myself how important it is to stay on top of school work and be aware of distractions. I would tell myself that my boyfriend who's going to break up with me is not worth ruining my education. I would RE-EXPLAIN what every guidance counselor, parent, mentor, and advisor, tried to explain to me but couldn't get me to realize. I would say that nothing is what it seems and there are few miracles; the rest of life is overcoming obstacles and reaching for goals.

I would tell myself to learn a language in my free time. Try to meet tons of people your first year, but choose your friends carefully. Don't underestimate the value of a few, good quality, close friends. Parties will always be there, and if you and your friends choose parties over school, you will not make it far. Alcohol is fun, but there is much more to life. Even if you're not 100% there, try to make it to every single class. Get help if you need it! With life, advice, tutoring, friends, whatever. Everyone in college has tough times sometimes and needs help, there's no shame in going out and getting the help you need! I would say that you can't skip days or skip assignments like you did in high school. You need to have your head in the game every single day to succeed. Live every day like the competition is dying to take these opportunities away from you, because they are. Have fun when your work is done. Know what your goals are, never forget how far you've come, never stop growing, and keep your eyes to the future!

Latoya, you are going off to college now and you should be very proud of yourself because you are the first one in your family to go. You have the opportunity to further your education and not many people do. Please be sure to stay focused on your goals and try not to take any breaks between semesters because they tend to last longer than you plan to. I know that you get anxious when it comes to math and test taking but many people do. Don't get discouraged and give up. Your college has tutors and a Learning Commons that will help you with your studies and math problems. The library is often open until 7pm for your convenience so please use the facility wisely. Remember that your goal is to graduate so that you can further your education. Also, make a goal to finish each class with at least a B so that your grade point average will be impressive. Use the resources and campus instead of leaving once class is over to go home to study. Take all of my advise and you will find your journey a bit more stress free.

See that campus? It's your future. Succeed there and strive to be all that you can. When you set foot on those sidewalks, you are accepting responsiblity. No one is going to clean up your messes anymore--you must rely on yourself. Don't let people or a new envoirnment intimdate you because this is not high school. Your peers here don't care about your clothes, your class schedual, or where you eat lunch. College is about independnce. College is about your individual success. Dont depend on your teachers, your guidence counselor, or group member to hoist you out of trouble. Exersice self disipline and dont forget to pay attention. Realize now that college isn't "fair." Take a class because its interesting, not because your best friend is taking it-- most likely neither of you will learn and will barely pass. Get involved with something on campus (a great way to meet people and connect to your school). And most of all balance; this is key. College is where you train for life, and life is a constant balancing act.

Dear Past Audrey, First off, don’t worry! You will be fine! I won’t tell you to not be nervous or to be more prepared for college; I think you have that covered. I want to tell you to be more excited! College is a huge next step and the beginning to something that can be great. College is a time where you get to be independent and try new things. Take advantage of these opportunities and be thankful for the challenges. Get involved in a club or an organization. This will give you an opportunity to meet new people and experience something new. Don’t be bored with school, make the most of it! Make sure you take the time to make friends. The first years of college should be fun, and a time to make good memories. There are tons of cool people out there if you take the opportunities to get to know them. Remember that you won’t be handed anything in life you can’t handle. Take things one step at a time. You’ll do great! -Future Audrey P.S. Don’t wear sandals to graduation, and watch out for the top step!

There's a country song about a man writing a letter to his teenage self basically telling himself that everything works out like it does for a reason and it's all good in the end. If I could have forwarned myself one thing about college before I started it would have been to have a goal from the start. There's a lot of pressure on highschool seniors to go straight to college. I started school before I was ready and without a major in mind felt lost. I ended up deciding to skip class until I figured it out and ending up ruining my GPA because of one semester. I didn't realize that there's no do-overs in college. If I could have told myself one thing regarding college before I started I would have told myself, "Hey, save yourself the trouble and the experimenting and drifting along feeling you're having about school- you want to be an English teacher. Mission Accomplished." If I had know what my intended major was and waited to start college until I did, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble.