Tarleton State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Tarleton State University

Raylon

Tarleton is an amazing University, and the staff and professors do everything they can to make sure the students are successful. Being on campus is very fun and there are many student activities outside of class for students to enjoy as well. Once again great college to attend and Bleed Purple!!!

Juwan

I was very worried that I wasn't going to enjoy my experience visiting the school, and that they weren't going to have any of the programs that I was interested in, but I had a great time. I ended up loving the school, so I applied and got accepted. I will be attending in the fall of 2018!

Lyric

AWESOME!!!! Best college in the world to me. Small but lots of things to do and learn. The professors and staff are always willing to help with whatever you need. Can't think of a better place to spen the next four years of my life! GO TEXANS AND BLEED PURPLE!!

tana

cool and cant wAIT

Kimberly

Tarleton State University is a great school with lots of great opportunities they are very big on tradition and their students I'm in love with my school and happy to go to the Best kept secret in texas. The campus is small but also feels so big so you don't feel like you are walking 3 miles to get to classes

Alyssa

Tarleton is a great inexpensive school. The class size remains small and most classes offer SI (supplement instruction) for further understanding in their class. A huge down side is there is a ton of constructions it takes twice the time to get to classes because you have to walk around everything to get there. Lastly there is not may places to go and hang out of campus unless you want to drive to Granbury or Fort Worth.

brianna

Tarleton State is an amazing school with a great teacher to student ratio. It is very student centered and there is something for everyone. My only complaint is parking is terrible. Traditions are very important at Tarleton even though they may seem odd to outsiders.

Overall Tarleton is a wonderful school with great staff that are truly there to help. The education program is particularly amazing. It truly prepares you to go out in the real world and confidently teach. The professors truly want you to succeed and are always there to help.

Keara

Tarleton has a beautiful campus with many friendly and nice people on campus to help new students with anything. When first stepping on campus the staff and students greet you with big smile and they make you feel as if you really are at your new home.

Rebeca

I think Tarleton is a very good school. All of the buildings are close together and the people are very nice. The food is good and the teachers are very friendly and are always available if you need to talk to them. The school provides different services for the students such as a clinic, academic advising, and helping with financial aid.

Anthony

I like the small college size since I'm bit of an introvert. I feel very safe on and off campus. The people are generally very friendly in this small town. I'm happy with my major since it is not offered in most other universities in the state. The president of Tarleton clearly loves his students and this university, and this genuine passion is reflected in the general atmosphere on campus.

Rebecca

Tarleton State is a great campus that never fails to make you feel at home. Although, Stephenville is a small town, that's what makes it what it is. The professors are VERY one on one and there is access to anything and everything that you need on campus. Whether that be a job, someone to fix your computer, or to borrow some money and food, Tarleton has got it all. It took me a while to adjust on campus, but I am so glad I chose the most perfect college.

Randy

The school is good at a very few things, like Nursing and agriculture. If you're coming here for any stem though, go somewhere else. The programs are bad, the networking to find jobs is bad, and to make up for being bad, they'll lie to you to try and tell you things are good. Honestly, you're better off somewhere else. The politics at this school are ridiculous and the school system is so disorganized. The students are usually nice and friendly and the environment is good, which is what you see people talking about. But if thats what you're looking for, go to a better party school. If you're looking for a good degree, go somewhere else.

Suzy

As a graduate student, I have been fortunate enough to experience another university in comparison to Tarleton. While this school seems to harbor a strong community for undergraduate students, it lacks much in the way of education opportunities. Community is important, however in retrospect education opportunities are what make careers. Faculty do not prioritize students and their opinions, while feedback has been attempted to be given to many of the teachers, most are too fearful of rocking the boat to assist in education. Throughout my time here I have been blinded to much important information and feel as though some of my classmates have more knowledge than the professors in the topics I was promised that I would get an education in. Now, nearly done with my degree I feel less confident than I did coming in, as professors in my department didn't involve me in research nor did they tell everyone about presentation opportunities, but rather the few students that they would prefer to work with. It is sad as I had made multiple attempts to get assistance and become involved in these opportunities with no avail. I honestly felt cheated by Tarleton, told they would give me an education in something they could not adequately teach.

taylor

At first glance, it is easy to dismiss Tarleton State based on size and location. Tarleton is a small school with roughly 12,000 students and it is located in the small Texas town of Stephenville, which fits every stereotype of a small southern town. However, once immersed in the culture of Tarleton, one begins to understand why the students and faculty have so much love for this school. The traditions may seem odd to outsiders, but at Tarleton State they are a way of life. A few pointers for people considering Tarleton state: NEVER walk on the grass or the seal ALWAYS get up early on Tuesday and hunt for Purple Poo signs ALWAYS participate in homecoming activities (beating the drum, snake dancing, midnight breakfast) and ALWAYS raise Oscar P whenever possible. To someone that is unfamiliar with our unique traditions, the tips stated above probably sound the gibberish, but to current students and alumni they are very important. Our school prides itself on student involvement and individual excellence and inclusion. There are many organizations, clubs, and teams to join on campus and class sizes are kept small to ensure that students receive the help and support that they need to achieve success. Overall, Tarleton is an amazing school and I would recommend attending this university to anyone seeking not only a university, but a home.

Kassidy

Love it! Ready to start the spring semester. Love my dorm! It is the perfect place for me to be. I took floral in high school and ended up on the CDE floral team. I also play volleyball so Tarleton offered me both academic scholarships and athletic as well. I am a Horticulture major.

Amariye

im a black women attending a majority white school. I wanted to try something new be in a new invironment where my color didn't dominate the city. its a drastic change but we have an african american club so when i feel a little out of my element i have somewhere to go. There are little problems with the race diffrence but that's going to be all through life. Tarleton state University was one of the best choices i've made in a long time.

Lindsey

Tarleton State University is a special place that is a home away from home. The transition from high school to college was made so easy due to all the activities and friendly faces. The facilities are great especially the gym/ recreational center. The only negative thing I have to say is the parking is rough due to the construction. However, the people here are all so friendly and that is something anyone who comes here has mentioned. I love my school and could not see myself any where else.

Asia

I come from a big city place (Austin, TX) and so I was use to diversity and exposure to different sexualities and stuff like that, so when coming to Tarleton is was kind of a culture shock. It took a while for me to find my place within the school but once I did I actually began to enjoy myself. Sure theres not as much stuff to do as like in Austin, but as long as you have your group of friends you guys will find something to do together. The campus isn't the best in the world, but you learn to love it and get use to it. I definitely miss it and my friends while I'm away and the price for the school is pretty worth it compared to the bigger name colleges.

Alejandro

It is a good school to get an education in the teachers are there to help you but also challenge you to think critically and to help you succeed in what you are trying to be as a in your career. I like tarleton its located in a small town which is easy to get around and easy to know a got amount of people from the school.

Alvaro

Tarleton State, is a school that is not too big and not too small in size. You make friends, and there is enough people to meet someone new every day. The classes are also the perfect size. It reminds me of my high school class except without the drama and a lot more freedom. The campus is small so it is safe but there are still police officers patrolling the area. The college is not too close and not too far. It is the right distance from home that I can leave my city and come back whenever I want to.

Shelby

Tarleton State is a town all on its own, it may be in Stephenville but it's nothing like Stephenville. I am born and raised in Stephenville and I can say it is two completely different worlds. The best part about Tarleton is Dr. Dottavio, Tarleton's current president, and his wife. They are the two kindest people and they really value their students. My primary complaint is TSU's professors are so drastically different. You have the professors who value their job and truly want the student their students to learn and grow after they leave that class. Then you have the professors that say they care and really don't, which is disappointing as a student who values learning. That and the construction and lack of organization with some of the administrations is frustrating, however there is good individuals in each department- they are just outnumbered.

Yadira

It is very racist. As a Hispanic female in this area , one could say it is not very inviting. Sometimes just walking around campus I feel uneasy and just know that I am being hated on for the color of my skin. If your are not white or an ag major your nothing.

Jamie

Tarleton State University is the best kept secret in Texas! I absolutely love Tarleton. The professors, the students and the facilities are amazing. The material that we learn helps prepare all the students for their future endeavors. There’s always someone around to help you out! BLEED PURPLE!

Tarleton State University is never a college I saw myself attending. For me it always seemed too close to home, too small and overall not cool enough. That was until I decided to transfer there for the nursing department. I fell in love with the wonderful staff, the beautiful yet quaint campus and the phenomenal nursing facility. A part of my heart will always live on the Tarleton State campus in small town Stephenville Texas! Now having attended TSU for three going on four years, I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. I bleed purple and white and will forever!

Karla

In all honesty I was a bit skeptical before ever coming to visit the university because I had never heard of it. Although the second I stepped on campus I fell in love with it. I was greeted by several nice people who made me feel as welcomed as your own family would. It truly focuses on tradition here, and before I came here I was never a spirited person but now I am and I couldn't be happier. I came from a city and to come here is a breathe of fresh air.

myles

I love it, it was definitely an amazing experience to visit. The culture of the school is very accepting, there are many clubs and activities to help people find their niche. All of the students make sure treat you like family, and give you a warm welcome whether or not they know you. There is a nice student to teacher ratio. Also all of the professors care about their students and want them to succeed. I absolutely cannot wait to attend there in the fall.

Bradley

I like that the professors genuinely care about the students and that other students are willing to help others. There aren't people wandering around trying to force their opinions on others, meaning everyone is allowed their opinion without being harassed or discriminated against.

Alissa

Tarleton State is definitely a place where you can attend and not feel overwhelmed. It's located in a small town and the sense of closeness is great if you're looking for a university that is not big. When it comes to classes and professors neither is hard to find. Professors do their best to make sure you have every resource necessary in helping you learn - which includes office hours, emails or even SI's. You meet people from small towns you didn't even know existed and that's pretty cool.

Lorena

its a great college and everyone is super nice and whenever someone one sees you struggling they will help you out instead of making fun of you. school sprit is super great you will see purple everywhere you go. Tarleton State University is where all Texans belong, GO TEXANS

Haylee

Small town with a great attitude

ASYA

The school is okay. The students are extremely nice and I feel safe on campus. The housing is great and the sense of community is honestly what keeps me here. Theres no food anywhere on campus after 8, and the food served at the dining hall is not appetizing at all. You pay for to-go lunches but if you choose to get one you have the choice between 2 sandwiches that have been sitting out all day and a bag of chips. There are some amazing professor at this school, but in my experience are few and far between. Financial aid and Administration is a complete nightmare. They don't seem to care much about the students at all and make it really hard to get assistance paying for school. Also, if you managed to get a scholarship consider yourself lucky, you're more likely to catch west nile during your time here. Parking? Good luck. Also there is a ridiculous amount of construction everywhere on campus... and I mean EVERYWHERE.

Julissa

i hope to one day be apart of this wonderful and cultural college in the near future.

Melinda

Tarleton State is by far one of the most friendliest campus i know. There is a club and organization for everyone, helping you find your place in college. They have so many options to help you pass your classes, and get involved in activities. It's an incredible safe campus with very polite and friendly people. You will love it here.

Arianna

I think that Tarleton is a good school. We have plenty of options for activities and clubs, the staff is usually friendly and helpful, and the class sizes are small enough to where you have a personal relationship with your professors and you typically have them for more than one course. With our new president, with university it on its way to many great things. We moved to division 1 in athletics this past semester (fall 2019). Along with D1, each college and group is actively looking for new ways to recruit freshman, improve experiences, and expand knowledge. However, even with all of these advances into Tarleton’s future, our focus on tradition is stronger than ever. Tarleton’s entire foundation and image is based around our century long traditions. From raising the spirit of Oscar P, homecoming bonfires, purple pigs, and the purple poo, Tarleton is built on traditions. The students bond over sleepless nights full of drum banging, purple pancakes, and tailgates. On campus life is safe, fun, and enlightening. Being grouped with students within your own major allows for the students to grow with each other through study groups, study hours, dinners, and other bonding. By grouping students with like interests and majors, it allows for students to learn how to study and depend on one another rather than on their professors or the internet to navigate through college. Also, many courses offer student led study groups for the university’s most difficult courses. The religious culture around the university is extremely involved with students. They offer study groups, bible studies, free lunches, prayer groups, coffee, snacks, etc to students on campus daily. Stephenville offers plenty of opportunities for college students to work, volunteer, and intern across the city. They also host many events that keep the campus involved in the community. Overall, I feel like Tarleton is a very nice school to attend. It’s affordable, comfortable, safe, has great academics, offers many opportunities, and provides a small town feel to students.

Daisy

Tarleton's makes me feel at home because of its small town location. Coming from a small town as well, it makes me feel like I never left home and makes me feel close to those around me. They provide countless of resources to become successful and fun activities to keep the student body involved.

lawrann

this is such a great school I went there for a AVID trip and they were all very friendly and nice very sweet people and a large campus but just large enough so you don't get lost they have a beautiful cafeteria and I like how they do the check-ins points before fully walk in and outstanding med program.

Cheyenne

Tarleton State University is known as "The best kept secret in Texas" to those in the community, and to those that attend. Found in the rural town of Stephenville, TX, Tarleton students are lucky to add a small town "homey" feel to their college experience. This university has strong core values and traditions that make it an amazing home to a variety of students. At Tarleton, you can always find someone with a friendly smile, and anyone willing to lend a helping hand. I've found my home at Tarleton State University.

Kristan

It’s alright but the parking is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! Had to park 30 minutes away once because there was no other parking offered by the school and had to walk across the main road which was very dangerous. They try to hard to include the LGBTP group and leave you feeling left out for being straight.

Billy

I made a huge mistake choosing tarleton state university. I'm graduating Aug 2017 with what will basically be a worthless BS degree in biology. Word is out that the coursework here is a joke. No one will hire TSU science graduates and the most maddening part is the faculty and upper administration are aware of this. My only hope is to get accepted into a respected grad school. Otherwise maybe wal-mart?

Braeden

I chose Tarleton State University through the "PSA" program through Texas A&M University. I will be a freshman in the fall of 2018 and was very surprised by the overall kindness and hospitality of the student body, teachers and staff along with the cleanliness of the campus while attending freshman orientation. The orientation was very organized and easy to follow and I had a pretty good time learning about the traditions and expectations from the upperclassmen, student body and administration alike. The majority of the educational and recreational buildings have been recently renovated, including some of the dorm halls, which are equipped with state-of-the-art security. I was also surprised by the quality of food that the dining hall served. There was a wide variety to choose from and the food was actually flavorful and enjoyable. Now, it is nothing close to a home-cooked meal, but you can stay satisfied until your holidays off. I have yet to attend any classes and I plan on making the grades required to transfer to Texas A&M next fall, but I would not be shocked if I decided to stay at Tarleton State to earn my Bachelor's degree.

Kenneth

Tarleton State University is great for students who are from a small town, and a great first college experience for students who are nervous about starting college and living on their own. The campus is relatively small, which makes it easy to get anywhere on campus within ten minutes. The best part about Tarleton is the student and family relations program. Students start out their college career feeling accepted and making friends from the start. Tarleton is home away from home.

Carson

It is a great university to attend. Although the school's science and math departments are not the best they still contribute to the university's academic growth. There are many activities to take part of on campus as well as many different organizations that are recommended.

Makayla

Tarleton State University is a georgeous campus. There has been much construction happening this past fall and spring semesters. Parking is very competitive here. Many residence dorm halls do not have enough parking to accomadate each student with a vehichle. They end up parking a 5-10 minute walking distance away. The dining hall is decent half the time. It has its bad days, it’s decent days, it’s good days, and it’s great days. Mostly it has bad and decent days. All professors have regular meeting hours. The best way to meet with a professor one on one is to email them and schedule an appointment.

Jake

I love the campus, it's small enough to where you can find a familiar place, easy to navigate, but if you are trying to get away it's also big enough to go where no one has to see you. I have met many friends here and not a single enemy. I really do love Tarleton State University.

Lance

It's the best school in Texas no doubt, I feel like I fit right in, It's my home. I was part of the marching band and I had a conflict with classes and band. Our director is so focused on Tarleton's valves that he made sure I had a chance to improve my grades by giving me more free time to improve them. Tarleton allows their students to be free and be taken care of no matter the sacrifice.

Breanne

Being a Tarleton Student for a year, I learned that this university was a great choice for me from the beginning. I didn't know how to adjust to the college atmosphere at first but Tarleton has amazing leaders that helped guide me at the beginning and inspired me to become a leader of this great school. I have never been so engaged in my studies until I joined this school because the professors here are passionate about their students. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a school that makes them feel like they're always at home.

Marissa

Tarleton is a wonderful place to grow in your education! The Professors/Instructors truly do care about your education and they want you to succeed. Like every school nothing is perfect their on-campus housing is ridiculous and nobody is on the same page and there is no proper communication, but I am sure it will improve overtime! Overall, a solid 4 star rating goes out to Tarleton State University and their wonderful faculty and campus!

Kaylyn

I love being apart of the Tarleton family. Everyone makes you feel safe and welcome. The classes aren't crazy big and there's always an SI available for tutoring. The staff is so helpful and if one person can't help you, they'll find someone who can.

Kasey

I love Tarleton! It makes me feel right at home, there is so much activity going on in the community for students to participate in. The environment feels overall very safe, there is not a fear of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or violent crimes. Tarleton really cares about its students and provides many opportunities for students to get involved in the community.