Upland, IN
Taylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Taylor University

Anna

The first week or so of college will be hard. Make sure you get out of your room and floor and talk with people. Don't get too stressed out about no making a good grade on your first test or quiz because it's your first college test, you're not used to it yet! Don't be afraid to ask for help! Know your limits, but get involved with events on campus! On the first day of class, sit next to someone you don't necessarily know. Get to know the people in your classes, especially your majors classes, and form a relationship with them. It may become lonely at some points but make sure you are getting into God's word! Remember to trust Him in each and every situation! Make sure you get some friends and go open housing the first couple of weeks. Visit churches and don't settle for something you are not satisfied with. Trust God and let Him lead you in every situation!

Taylor does a great job integrating faith and learning. The professors are not here to just teach about a subject, but to help students apply their faith in their major. Taylor is also great in building a community. This community is not like any other that I have experienced. The people at Taylor are so welcoming and loving. Basically, everything about Taylor is amazing!

Taylor University is full of students who love, serve, and follow Christ with their whole lives. Taylor consists of many students who want to grow and mature more in their relationship with Christ. They want to gain more knowledge in the field they are studying and know how to apply their faith in that field.

Valerie

If I could rewind to my time as a high school senior, I would make sure I understood a few very important things. First, I would embrace the fact that time truly does fly. At the beginning of my senior year, it felt as though I still had forever to hang out with my friends and chill out at home. But before I knew it, I was walking down the aisle to the familiar chords of "Pomp and Circumstance", saying tearful goodbyes to my friends, and packing up all my possessions that could be smashed into a minivan. I love the place I am at in my life right now, but thinking about all the good memories of high school makes me wish I would have savored them just a little bit more. Another thing that would have made my transition to college a bit smoother have been preparing myself to meet thousands of new people. The first few weeks at school were overwhelming for me, and while I liked seeing all the new faces, they still left me with a feeling of loneliness. Mentally readying myself for this experience would have made it a little less overpowering and intimidating.

Before I came to college, I wish I would have better prepared myself for missing everyone back at home. I had great friends that were like my family, and I didn't mentally ready myself to be away from them for such a long time. Because of this, I didn't put out as much effort to make new friends here at school, since I was so focused on my old friends. If I could go back in time, I would have made sure to make room for new friends while remembering my old ones.

My school is located in an extremely small town, and so it is very hard to get anywhere if you do not own a car - which I do not. There are no taxis, no public transportation, and no buses. You simply have to rely on a friend who has a car to get you where you need to go, which in most cases is at least twenty minutes away. Although I love my university, I would love it even more if it was closer to a larger town with access to public transportation.

My classmates here at Taylor University are some of the greatest people I have ever met. I have great friends back home in Boulder, but none that compare to friends I have now. My classmates here at Taylor have a genuine care for people. They truly want you to be better, and keep you accountable in tuff situations. I have learned so much from them in just one semester, I think I am a much kinder respectful human being because of them. I hope next year I get a chance to influence someone as much as they have influenced me.

Being a freshmen here at Taylor I have learned so much, not just academically but also just about life in general. Looking back at the last semester and the growth I have made it?s almost hard to comprehend I fit all those new experiences into one semester. If I could go talk to my high school senior self right now I would tell myself two things; the first would be to work harder in school, and the second would have been to be more intentional with my relationships. I would have told myself to work harder in school because that would have opened a lot more scholarship opportunities, and prepared me a bit better for the more rigorous classes. The biggest lesson I have learned at Taylor is to be more intentional with my relationships. I have learned the repercussions of blowing people off, picking to invest in this relationship instead of that one, and not appreciating those who really matter. This has been a rough lesson for me, but one that I am definitely glad I learned sooner than later. Family, friends, and community are a blessing that should not be taken for granted.

Taylor University is a small christian university. A large amount of the people who attend come from christian backgrounds, but not all. There are "non Christians" at Taylor, lots of them are athletes on scholarships. One might think that a non Christian wouldn't fit into a heavily based Christian community, but that doesn't seem to be a problem here at Taylor. Everyone is accepted for who they are, and hold their unique role on campus. Just because Taylor is a christian university that by no means means you have to be Christian to attend and be accepted here!

Celesia

Keep your goals in mind. Study with the inspiration of being organized. Review and try to follow instructors direction to the letter. If you do not understand something, ask for guidance. Think ahead of all the wonderful opportunities life will bring with your degree in hand. Set your goals and reach them, one by one. Stay focused and aware of those not supportive of your need to study. Set aside time everyday for future thought planning time. Do not cheat. Do not allow other's to cheat off of you. Get your basic academics out of the way before you start taking courses that you find interesting and different. Above all else, be appreciative of your future college education and enjoy to the fullest all the advantages a college degree will bring to you.

Brad

The most friendly place in the world where everyone has a place in our community.

To know thyself (Aristotle). It is important to be able to approach your college life in a way that remains true to yourself. College lets you redefine your self in many ways. Its is important to try to strength the areas of your life which are weak and to maintain your strengths. There is a lot of forgiveness in going to college, where you can change who you are, but the person you are in college, is who you will be after college. "To know thyself" gives you that edge to approach college in the right mind frame and not lose your self to the currents that run on different campuses. I would also add to push on, since the best is definitely still to come.

It gets cold during the winter, so pack on the layers. The cold leads to some of the best and most fondest memories though too.

Krista

They are a diverse, loving group, that truly cares about the school and the Taylor community.

I would have told myself to develop better study habits while I still had a relatively low course load. I also would have told myself to be more confident and get involved more coming in to college.

I feel like I came in with the right amount of knowledge that I didn't have stereotypes already formed.

Clinton

If I could go back and tell myself something, it would be that I should be prepared for an excellent experience with an amazing group of people. I was not expecting this to be not only be a community, but a small family. We all come from different environments, lifestyles, and belief systems, and yet we have become a family. I could not be more happy with a college selection.

The worst thing about this school is that the school gives off the impression that our school is perfect. And where there are many areas our school is better than others, it is by no means perfect.

A person who is not interested in socializing. Being a small school Taylor is very personal, and each person that comes here is a part of a community that works together to improve ourselves.

Rebecca

Taylor University is very community-oriented, provides a lot of activities, and has strict academic regulations, but it is too restrictive in some areas, especially in the areas of social dancing and alcohol consumption.

Hey self, wake up! You may have lived near this campus all your life and know some of the professors personally, but that does not mean you know the campus. Get up and do a campus visit, or stay overnight in a friend's dorm room, but whatever you do, don't be so lax about it The campus has a life of its own, and different places and majors have people and professors that are dynamic and outspoken. You will encounter opposing viewpoints, life-changing conversations, and truly convicting class sessions. This is not an away-from-home extension of high school. It's the real world, and it's four years of your life. Explore! Get involved! And whatever you do, don't pick a dorm based on one friend who lives on one wing; get yourself into an environment where you will thrive. This is a great college, but it's not perfect - help it along by making smart choices.

I wish I had known the atmospheres of the respective dorms better (Olson for pretty, often vain women; English for down-to-earth, motherly types; Gerig for the more nerdy variety, etc); I ended up in Olson and had a basically miserable dorm experience for the one year I lived there.

Curtis

They are extremely talented and driven to improve their musical abilities and knowledge.

Just relax and enjoy high school. Although the work is important in preparing for college, the stress that students are under in pushing themselves so hard is countreproductive to their preparation. The social aspects of college are in some ways just as important as the academics and I could have developed this aspect of my life better in high school.

I wish I had known the opportunities available to me with respect to non-classroom activities better. I wish I had known that it was so easy to participate with other music students in ad-hoc activities.

Karolyn

My school is known for its achedemic achievements. It is currently rated the #1 Mid-west college and strives to provide graduated students with solid job placements once they leave campus. The quality departments this school is specifically known for are the Liberal Arts and Education departments. It is also known for its strong sense of community. Being a campus with less than 2,000 students, Taylor is a small foundation which provides intimate connections and a strong spirit of community. Students, including myself, feel a sense of refuge here sometimes refered to as the "taylor bubble" or "simple companionship".

The first thing I would relay is don't dread the process. All those applications, whether online or paper-form, need to be considered carefully. I would also tell myself to trust my parents and learn from their mistakes as well as their accomplishments. The reason I ended up at Taylor was my dad; he literally dragged me here when I had my heart set on another college in Michigan. Next, I would tell myself to enjoy the campus visits and pay attention to student interaction with the staff and with eachother. If the attitudes of people on the campus, even just the few that you meet, don't mesh well with your beliefs or even your personality, think hard before seriously considering living there for the next four years of your life. Also, though it might have annoyed me at the time, the more campus visits the better. It was easier for me to make a sure decision when I literally had about 10 other college visits to compare with it. Last of all, I would tell myself trust my gut. When I get that feeling, that pull on my heartstring and hear "this is home", GO FOR IT!

Taylor University is a private, somewhat conservative, Christian-based university. Therefore, if students are looking for a party school, Taylor is NOT for you. However, if a student is looking for a Christian community, focused on an academic education and global outreach, he/she should definately consider Upland, IN as a potential new home. I found no other place like it throughout my 3-year search for the right place to study. It truly fell in love from day one and feel that my dreams are being fulfilled right here.

Taylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.