Upland, IN
Taylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Taylor University

Meg

A safe, conservative, religiously focused academic and faith community, committed to students' academic and spiritual success. The

Meg, you are a little overconfident right now. You've been accepted to college, and are anticipating that these next 4 years will be the best of your life. You're assuming that you'll get along with your roommate, focus on school, meet a quality guy to date, stop making mistakes, etc. I'd like to tell you right now that this picture you have in your mind is wrong. You and your roommate will not get along, you will be distracted, lonely and worried often, it will be years before you date the guy you are looking for, and you will continue making mistakes. I'm not telling you this to instill 'fear' - I'm telling you this so you can expect failure. Expect disappointment. Expect darkness. College is not all sunshine and daisys; it will be wavy and you're going to have to learn to stand up against the waves. That's how we grow. Be open to that growth and be open to the joy that comes amid trials and heartache. Have confidence that these things all happen for a reason, and try not to waste time worrying about your failures. Accept, learn, and cherish.

The beautiful campus, off campus study options, and it's optional chapel, of which 75%+ of our campus attends 3 times per week.

Meg

Taylor is a Christ-centered, liberal arts college that offers many opportunities for spiritual and academic growth, service, and domestic and international travel.

Prepare for a roller coaster. College will not only be the best times of your life, but sometimes will be your worst. Remember your inner strength and have an open enough mind to learn from your experiences. And don't worry so much!

The cost and conservatism. The cost, because I'm now in an overwhelming amount of debt. The conservatism because I yearn for more heated conversations - they don't allow for much conflict and do not welcome speakers who have opposing viewpoints from a conservative Christian perspective. I wish they would be more sensitive to and allow for more conversations in order to prepare students for the outside world.

Casey

I would love to advise my high school self in two specific areas: 1) relationships with females, and 2) reading. First, high school seems like such a blur at this point and it seems that none of the friendships or relationships with females during that time have had any posative effects on me. I definitely wasted my time building meaningless relationships that I knew were not going anywhere beneficial. Now that I am in college, I have many relationships with females, and one in particular, that are spurring me on towards love and good deeds. I should have learned to build those meaningful relationships while in high school. Second, I have nurtured a genuine love for reading and digging deeper in the learning process. However, I have found that I had so much more time to do so in high school, whereas now my time is squelched in learning the surface material. If I had read more during high school, I would have covered a lot of the material that I aspire to learn with the time I was alotted, resulting in more time for deeper learning now. If only I could go back and advise myself in these areas...

Community. Taylor really emphasizes the importance of "Intentional Community." There is such a love that percolates throughout the campus because of our strong community ties.

Isolation. It is in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. This allows for a tight knit community, but it also allows for not much to do on the weekends. It would be so much more enjoyable if we weren't surrounded by cornfields but by forests or mountains or even a good sized city.

Alyce

I would tell her to focus more and learn the material more throughly. Don't be afraid to ask people for help. College is a change and you won't come out that same way you came in, and that is okay. You should be open to the change.

It's more conservitive than i am, the students are very set in thier ways

Kim

Make suare you feel like you would fit in at the college. It is very important to be able to connect with other students and have a great group of friends to rely on.

Don't pack so much. You don't need all of it. Learn good time management skills before you get there. There are so many activities on campus and it's hard to stay away from them, but sometimes you have to say NO to them in order to still do well in classes. Don't be afraid to ask or talk to the professors. They are great and want to help you out the best they can!

Kaytlin

Throughout high schoo, there is always so much to do. Once you've taken your ACT's or SAT's, high school seems to speed up without you even knowing it. My best advice would be not to wait, and start looking at colleges early. Learn everything you possibly can about them, and maybe try an over-night stay or a campus tour. The more you know about the school is really going to help you out in the end. Really take a look at what interests you the most and maybe even make a chart. Write down all the things you need to have in your University, and things that are negotionable. When it comes to your education and how you spend the rest of your life, there isn't a price you can put on it. Make the next four years the start to your life.

Your shouldn't attend this school if you like to party, and drink or do any drugs. Taylor tends to be fairly conservative, and therefore is kind of like a bubble. If you are used to the big city life, the surrounding cornfields may not interest you.

Since Taylor is so small, everyone knows everyone else's business...it's kind of like high school. It's great that we do have such a great community, but it can turn into cliques sometimes, and make others feel left out.

Rebecca

College should not just be about finding a school that will give you the best education, although that is important. I have discovered that college, more than anything, is a place where I have the freedom and safety to discover who I am and what my purpose in life is. So far, I have spent my life preparing to discover who I truely am. My parents have contributed to this, and I am extremely grateful for everything they have done for me. The best thing a student can do is go to college and discover who they are and what they are meant to do. Parents, the best thing you can do is to let them. It's a time of trial and error, and while it might be the most frustrating time in life, it is also the most rewarding. College is not something that should be taken lightly. Not to be cliche, but it is a life-changing decision. I don't think that rewards can come without risks, and heading off to college is a risk that may give you the biggest reward of your life.

it's easy to get stuck in a group and not branch out and meet other people.

I am learning more than I ever have before and that I do have a good core group of friends that I can rely on.

Heidi

Look at a lot of different colleges and what they have to offer. See if you can talk to students currently at the school and in your proposed degree program to see what they think of the school. Once you get to college get involved. People who are involved tend to make friends faster and get adjusted to being in college sooner. Don't spend all your time studying and doing homework, make sure you leave time for a social life. Live in the dorms. There are so many great experiences you won't have if you don't live on campus. Be yourself, don't make yourself someone you're not to make friends, it'll only make it harder to fit in.

I wish I had known that I don't have to buy textbooks from the bookstore and that students can sometimes share textbooks.

The worst thing about Taylor University is probably the lack of stores and restraunts close by. The nearest Walmart is half an hour away and you have to have a car to get there.

Alyssa

I think that you should choose a school based on what you want to put into it as well as what you'll get out of it. If you want to be involved in a lot of clubs and have a lot of opportunities to help the community, choose a school that will help you with that. I don't think a school should be decided just because it's the least expensive. You should go to the school that interests you, and worry about the financial stuff later. There's financial aid and loans to help you with that. When it comes to making the most of your college experience, don't stay shut in your room. Get out of your dorm, visit other dorms, meet new people. Also get involved in as much as you can. College is short and the best way to love your college is to get involved, even if that means attending a sport event or two.

The worst thing is probably the limited amount of time girls and guys can spend in eachother's rooms, even though I do at times appreciate the privacy.

A person who wants a good education on a dry campus, doesn't mind following rules, and wants to learn about the Bible.

Heidi

Taylor's community is probably what makes it most unique. At Taylor most people will wave and say hi or at least smile at you as you walk by even if you don't know them and they don't know you. People are easy to talk to and really want to help you do your best. The professors are great too. They'll often invite classes to their houses or out somewhere. We have a strong sense of community and it really helps strengthen the school.

When a person searches for the best college for them they must consider a few things: location, community, and academics. Make sure that the location is something you can deal well with. It is not good to be stuck in a big city when you dislike large communities. Community in a school is very important. In college you need to be able to know you fit in and have your area. You also need to be able to find good friends and a friendly campus. The community of a school can make or break the college experience. Academics are also vastly important. You want to find a school that will challenge you but not overwhelm you. The point of college is to learn, but also not to kill yourself in the process. Another thing to consider is balance. Social life, work, and academics need to be in balance. Pick a place where you feel you can do this. The best way to find out about a lot of this is through a campus visit. Try to visit during a semester when students are in class. Stay overnight if possible and try to stay with someone in your intended major.

The worst thing about my school is probably the location. Upland, IN is pretty much the middle of no where. There aren't any real traffic lights, no grocery stores, and not much out of school activity in walking distance.

Taylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.