Temple University Top Questions

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Savannah

I can't say there was one particular thing that was hard about Freshmen year for me. I had a pretty smooth transition. I guess the only thing I had a problem with was managing my time at the beginning. You have so much free time and sometimes it's hard to be disciplined and do your work instead of hanging out with friends.

The hardest thing about freshman year especially if you're away from home is getting adjusted to the college life. if you're like me, I was scared to death about leaving home. I was sure I knew how to make it without my family and close friends right there. What I learned though as i navigated through, what that it's not that hard. One thing I loved about freshman year was that I was on my own. I got to make my own decisions. (Of course on some things I still had to call home for advice) but it was very liberating. Another difficult thing is getting used to roommates, especially if you're not using to living with someone. Here's a tip though, try to find some common ground, even if you think you have nothing in common. You never know you and your roommate could use the same hair products, that could be a conversation starter. Basically, you need your roommate to survive especially freshman year because you don't know what you're doing. If you look at it that way, you might be better off. The last difficult thing is the college schedule and workload. 8am classes, papers, quizzes, tests, the whole thing. In college, you get to make your own schedule as opposed to high school where it's given. That is a blessing and a curse. I suggest especially freshman year, avoid any 8am classes ESPECIALLY if you're not a morning person. Otherwise, YOU WILL SUFFER. Another thing, when professors tell you to read the textbook, READ THE TEXTBOOK. It is evident if you don't and some in fact most are not that happy about it.

Erlina

Finding your niche. I am a very social person, so I sort of blended in with a lot of different groups, but I didn't really feel at home with any group of friends for while. I jumped from group to group often leaving the others in the dust because I couldn't quite find where I fit. Sometimes people get overwhelmed by this and is probably why a lot of people transfer out of there freshman years of college. Stick it out! Sophomore year is better I promise.