Temple University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Temple University

MeiLin

Temple University is a home for the students. There is a culture of understanding, supporting each other, friendliness, and people are open to help when you need it. Even the professors care and wish only for the best future for you. The extracurriculars make it easy to do what you love and make friends as well as memories you will never forget.

Khadijah

I love my school. There are some things that I would change, but overall it is a great place. As a commuter, the lack of parking is a bit of an issue. Everyone competes for the free spaces because they do not want to pay to park in a lot. On the bright side, I have had some wonderful professors during my time at Temple, that have really helped me in my journey.

Tymple

My opinion on Temple University is that it's a great school in a city that has a lot to offer the students when it comes to exploring the city. Moreover, I really like the professors because they are all very considerate and make sure that they are available because they want to see you succeed. Also, even though Temple may be in a what is considered a rough environment, I do not feel unsafe because they have made sure that students are aware of where campus starts and stops. Overall, I think that Temple is a great school, in a great city that has a lot to offer and plenty for students to explore.

Ayse

I started to search the universities when I was still in my country. Temple University has had by far the leading an excellent education. So I decided to go the Temple University 1 year before I came here. The people who are working in the university, are very interested and helpful. And now I am in the first semester of the program and I am so glad that I choose this university. I love my professors and education is really good.

LOUELLA

It is a prestigious university but more can be done for racial diversity. They have a good sports following which allows for some fun weekends. Their teachers are usually helpful and can be found in office hours regularly. Overall, I enjoy the experience at the University.

Jeremy

Overall, I believe that Temple University gives every student the opportunity to learn an immense amount about there interests. The music program in particular is one of the best in the country and if there's one thing I think of when I think "Temple" it's culture. The faculty are friendly, the food is good, and the campus is breathtaking.

Tyler

At Temple University, you get out what you put into it. They are always adding new things and trying to be the top of the game at it. Charles Library was super ambitious and gained Temple a lot of acclaim. But, they can do these expansions at the cost of student needs. The basic needs are met, food options have improved, but certain housing options are still severely dated.

great school, very happy I chose to go here. philadelphia is a great area to live and learn. Temple is only improving and innovating. A degree from here is appreciated by the working world and a large network forms with temple alumni. I am temple made and temple proud

Faithe

I think Temple University is an amazing school. I'm a firm believer that college is what you make of it and I think Temple provides you with all the tools to make the most of your college education. It's located right next to what I consider the heart of Philly. This location means not only can you take a short train ride and go explore Center City, but you're not always distracted by that high pace city feel. You don't even need leave campus to find something to do because there is always something going on. Even better, the professors encourage students to learn all about the right history of the place they now call home. As well, the school has this amazing school spirit, we're always ready to show off our Cherry and White. Overall, Temple has a wonderful environment and once you give the school a chance, you're bound to fall in love.

Rose

Choosing Temple University was not an easy feat considering I wanted to stay around my suburban life. However, once choosing Temple, I'm so glad I didn't choose something I was used to. I know North Philadelphia isn't the most appealing area in the city, but the vibe at Temple is what allowed me to overlook that. I was attracted to the openness of the campus, especially along Liacouras Walk. Liacouras Walk, pictured below, is the heart of the campus and a popular chill spot when the weather is nice. The city offers a number of benefits to young adults. Connections can be made anywhere. The blending of cultures turns a simple walk to the supermarket into an exciting adventure. From shopping to eating, it can all be accessed with the purchase of a subway token.

Caitlyn

Temple is an excellent university to get a degree. The university has taken strides over the past few years to better their curriculum to make them more competitive with other universities that are perceived to be more elite. Furthermore, the university ensures that all of their students are safe while on campus. There is a constant presences of campus and Philadelphia police. Overall, Temple University is a great college to get a degree.

Kelly

Proud to be an OWL! Loved my experience at Temple!!!!

Kristina

There are a huge variety of classes and opportunities within and outside of your specific major here at Temple University. The city is an incredible resource both for classes and for outside activities. The professors are accessible and are here to unsure you do your best!

Keelia

All of the teachers here are extremely welcoming and asking for help is always encouraged. It is a a very large university, extremely diverse, and extremely liberal. The facilities are all accommodated for disabled students and Temple has its own train station.

Nahzja

Temple University also known as diversity university because of how diversed we are. Temple U is very unique, they're many cultures and personalities set all throughout campus. The campus is beautiful and there is always something new being brought to the facility. There is never a dull moment at TU.

nahjul

Since I have been a student at Temple University, I have met many different types of people. I finally committed to a field of interest which is medicine and currently working towards finding a research opportunity. The professors that I have contacted were very helpful and are guiding me on the right path. Temple University provides health care which was also very useful during my first year. So far I have had a good experience at this school.

Bianca

There are a lot of tensions between the many different aspects of Temple's community. The student body can be very divided at times, between those who considers themselves "woke" and those who are more conservative in a very liberal space. There are often protests on campus, showing the passion many students have to change the conditions around them. The faculty and staff are very supportive of the student body, and offer great services and insight. Temple employs many adjunct professors, who have all given me great advice and perspectives. It's helpful to hear from someone who is actually in the field you are studying to be in. Temple's administration is sometimes difficult to deal with, for example there is no clarity as to how student tuition is spent. Temple continues to raze the surrounding community to expand it's campus, without first addressing student needs to the level of expectation many students have. This creates tension between students and administration, as well as between the surrounding community and the institution of Temple. The services I have had from Temple have all been very good, due to the faculty and staff playing a direct role in that. However, some services should be expanded and more readily available to the growing student body. I think that students, faculty and staff, the administration, and the surrounding community all need to work together to ensure that every party's greatest needs are met. Overall, Temple's trajectory is very positive for the future. The progressive student body is very welcoming to people of many different identities, and I think most students feel comfortable and safe among their peers. The surrounding city of Philadelphia offers a wide variety of opportunities for students, and volunteer and internship sites are easy to find for a large range of interests. Although there are many things I would like to change at Temple, I wouldn't choose to go to any other school for my undergraduate or graduate experiences.

Khalil

Temple University provides students with anything a college student can ask for. Because Temple is a big school, students are able to experiences things like big frat parties and the hype sporting events that come on ESPN. Also, the school is located in the city and this allows students from all backgrounds to get a glimpse at reality and experience almost anything. Although Temple is large, there are many groups for students to join in order to make friends and build great relationships with, which helps students to not feel alone in such a big environment. Lastly, the school well know for its academics and many of the programs are top-ranked in the entire world. So, Temple University is a great college that balances extracurricular activities and academics very well.

Simone

I think it is ok. I think many of Temple kids are kind of cliqueish. It is kind of difficult to meet new people. Another issue I have is that the campus is too small for me. I would personally like a smaller campus. However, the academics are superb though. I personally don't think I can get a better education elsewhere.

Eric

The teachers are very good. They are always motivating but the class sizes are very big. I like the class times and the principles that it was founded on. I live a little outside of philly so the commute can be a little rough. But overall I do not see that it is a bad thing.

Fatima

I transferred from Manhattan College, a much smaller school than Temple in New York and my transition was not too great. Temple does not accept many of the classes I took, especially since I switched majors from Biology to Bioengineering. Math and Engineering related classes are NOT a joke, be sure to come in really prepared. Take advantage of everything the school provides, it will all come in handy.

Caitlyn

Temple is a great school that I feel very lucky to attend. There is an amazing school culture that is fun and academically challenging.

Nadira

Temple University is a great school that offers a wide variety of majors. Temple students are very active academically, politically, and athletically. Temple University is a very secure campus. Professors are passionate about their subjects and about teaching. As a student who uses a wheelchair, I've found that Temple University has some issues when it comes to accessibility, mostly due to the age of its buildings and the condition of the streets of Philadelphia. There is at least on classroom that is not accessible via the elevator. Some of the bathroom stalls that are designated as ADA bathrooms are not large enough to fit a wheelchair safely and comfortably. These types of issues have made studying at Temple a challenge for me.

Zaria

Someone once told me that you will never understand what college is like until you experience it yourself. I have been at Temple University for a little over a month now and I have experienced more people, culture and learning than I would have ever imagined. My mindset about people, society, sexuality and politics has expanded tremendously. Temple has created an environment that allows you to not only question your thoughts but validate them. The professors are openminded, friendly and make the classroom environment comfortable enough for people to discuss issues freely. I am grateful that I get to complete my undergrad education in a city like Philadelphia and university like Temple because I am surrounding by every type of individual there is. Asians, Indians, Whites, Blacks, Liberals, Conservatives, Singers, Scientists and Writers... the list goes on. There is a community here for everyone, no matter their sex, color, creed or sexual orientation.

Nadia

Temple is an amazing school with great opportunities. There are a few improvements to be made such as difficulty accommodating the size of students and unnecessary cosmetic construction. Overall the culture of the school is very diverse and the opportunities you are given/have access to is worth every penny.

Kiara

Temple is a very diverse school located within North Philadelphia. The academics are amazing and the teachers are extremely helpful and hands on, and some do take the time to get to know their students. There are many networking opportunities available, and often with major companies, including Google. Temple is a great school and anyone would have the time of their lives here as long as they manage their time wisely.

Bradley

Personally, I really am happy with my choice to attend Temple. I really think the academics are challenging, the culture of the campus is very good and the extra-curricular opportunities are great. I can't complain about my first year at Temple. I've really enjoyed my time here.

Ariana

No school is perfect, but Temple is the perfect place for me. As a psychology major, there are man networking opportunities, as well as research opportunities. Professors are usually accessible. There are many clubs on campus. Greek life is known here, but it's not a big deal if you don't rush. Being that it's in North Philly, it's super easy to get to the center of the city. But also with that, there is a lot of gentrification. Most parties are off campus. but not too far away unless you go to a club.

Adrienne

Temple tries its hardest to get away with doing the bare minimum. The students know it, the professors know it, everybody knows it. The people are great, though. I really didn't expect people to be so friendly. At this school, you're sure to find something to do, always.

Cortlyn

Overall Temple is a uniquely diverse and unified campus. Although it's urban location seems a stark contrast to high school life, this campus is like none other. There is a beauty found on its streets, the saying "Greatness Doesn't Quit" truly exemplifies how Temple has turned around its previous profile into a campus that strives for excellence both in the classroom and in the field.

Alisha

When people ask me about my school, all I can say is that I love it. Everything from the BEAUTIFUL campus to even the 5:00AM TU Alerts, everything is wonderful. Endless amounts of resources and great things my school offers, there is no way that you can't come out of Temple after 4 years not successful. Late nights at the tech center and midnight trips to fresh grocer, everything you can imagine is accessible at any time of the day. If you want to get "aphillyiated", come be Temple Made!

I love it personally, I do think there should be better attractions such as shops, but it's not as bad as everyone says it is. It's definitely it's own little world. Overall, its a community. It's a college. The classes and academics are impressive, and so are the academic opportunities. The safety is amazing, you can't go anywhere without seeing a police officer, which is reassuring. They want you to succeed there, if you try and look for the opportunities, they're there.

Kiara

Overall, this is a place I can call my home, and it's not just because I share the same name as this university. Growing up in Philly, I like that I have the ability to have my cake and eat it to, meaning I didn't have to travel far from home to become immersed in the diversity I've always wanted to experience. Socially, I feel as though Temple was the right place for me because of how open-minded and accepting the community is. Around the residence halls are posters for community talks and activities about controversial topics such as race and sexuality and what can be done to ensure that others in our community feel safe and welcomed and it really just warms my heart. Academically, it is challenging because high school most definitely did not prepare me for college, but that's another thing that I admire about Temple. Temple takes measures to ensure that every student is getting all the help that they can receive in order to stay on top of their classes. Last semester when I was failing my math class, my teachers offered me office hours to help me improve with my test taking and even recommended that I attend on campus tutoring sessions. The professors really seem to care about the success and well-being of the students and I really do admire that. The residence hall food is alright, but it helps that there are plenty of on campus food trucks and official food chains in case you aren't in the mood for dining hall cuisine (such as Chipotle, Subway, Master Wok, Qdoba, Pizza Hut, Tony Lukes etc.) My personal favorites are Burger Tank (their fries are to die for) and Crisp Kitchen (their stir fry is, oh my god, it is godly). Lastly, the fact that Temple University acknowledges the importance of mental health and stability is what really made me choose them over the other colleges. They have counseling services on campus to help improve the mental stability of their students by provide a safe space to vent, communicate, and seek help. I really do love this school.

Remy

I feel my school its a great school. College is what you make it. The professors are very helpfu. The campus is really big. There are amny different diverse food options. A big grocery store. 24/7 campus police escort if you need escorted to your dorm. Depending on which dorm you live in is your own rating opinion. But I love my school. Everyone is always involved.

Becca

I love Temple's diversity of student body. The classes are all ok - some better than others - while some gen ed classes are just unnecessary. Food can get repetitive, but there are a ton of food truck options and shops around campus. Location is great, because its really close to Philadelphia but is still its own campus.

Anthony

Temple University is a fantastic university. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in extracurricular activities. The professors here are great. They do not coddle you, but they are also available when you have a question. The student body consists of wonderful people from diverse backgrounds/cultures. The atmosphere here is great. The sports teams are really good and students often support. The school is not too far away from some of the best places in the city to hang out. It's just an overall wonderful place to get your education.

Ion

This school lives up to it's known reputation. The faculty is great and always makes time for the students. As for extracurricular activities, they lack nothing. Sports, clubs and many more things are available for students who come from all sorts of backgrounds and for students who desire all sorts of things.

Angelyn

I am actually a student attending Temple University Japan Campus! Although I have never been to main campus, and the Japan campus is relatively smaller than main campus, I really enjoy my time here at the TU Japan campus. Academic wise, courses offered in and outside of my major are great. And considering that we are living in Japan (which was a very different culture and lifestyle overall), the staff are very supportive and helpful when helping us get around or informing us of options available to us. There are also many events and extracurricular activities available, which is a breath of fresh air when you want to take a break.

Mike

Temple is a great university filled with a variety of opportunities with academics, social activities and overall growth. I transferred from Montgomery county community college and Temple has taken all my credits. Temple has a unique career center as well with workshops for internships, resume help, professional dress and future career help.

Tiffany

Let me tell you about Temple University. I am a Junior and I have made the most of my time here. The students are great when they are approached, so are the staff. They are very helpful, and should you not know something they will help to guide you. The professors are great and they can sometimes be contacted outside of office hours. If you are especially pleasant to them, they will be happy to write you a glowing recommendation for whatever purpose. My advice to incoming student is that you know your values, know who you are and embrace that- whether you are artsy, quirky, a little bit weird or fun. When you have at least some part of your life figured out, make friends who will always be there to pick you up should you fall, and friends who share your drive and will keep you grounded and focused on what it is you desire to get out of your years there. The university has a variety of clubs/organizations, sororities, fraternities to satiate interests or curiosities. There are interesting events years round, and there are a lot of majors, minors/concentrations and certificate available in the different schools that are a part of Temple University. They also have a great study abroad program. The location- North Philadelphia- can be troublesome most of the time, but all you have to do is embrace it. Travel in groups and be nice to the people who were here before you came (they are called locals, which they hate). Philadelphia is your home away from home. Good food, good people, good places. It's like living in a big city with a small-town feel. You can find almost anything here there is always something to do; it's always sunny in Philadelphia people. For the people with large appetites, foodies or people who just appreciate the sight of it, Temple is the right place. There is food shop, store or truck is on every street in and around the university. They cater to people from almost every culture or different parts of the world. And school spirit you ask? T- for Temple U, U-niversity, Fight, fight, fight! for the Cherry and the White, for the Cherry and the White we fight, fight, fight!! Oh !!! we go hard for Temple, especially during football season. Tickets are free for students, all you need is you Temple ID. And, Stella the Owl is always ready for a tag along in her Temple colors. We show up and show out. Whenever we win games, Philadelphia knows. We walk around in our school logo and or colors and share the joy with Philadelphia, and Philadelphia celebrates with us in return. Temple is the place to be! Self Made! Philly Made! Temple Made! Drops mic! Welcome, one and all to Owl Nation!

Vincent

The university has many redeeming qualities, but is bogged down by inconsistent curriculum and teaching methods. The portal system is constantly glitched and is a pain to navigate when first encountering it. However, the facilities are some of the latest in Philadelphia, the tuition is cheap, and there are professors who genuinely care and want to provide the best opportunities for their students.

Tu

Temple is a great university that offers many opportunities for students to accel. It is a friendly and fairly diverse institute. The professors and accessible and willing to help out. Life on campus is always exciting. Game spirit is always high.

Crystal

I can honestly say that i enjoy temple more than I thought I would. As an out of state student I enjoy the balance between city and suburban life, keeping the environment lively but at the same time comfortable. I wish that the tuition and fees would be a little less for out of state students to make college just a little more affordable for the middle class.

Faith

It's a huge school with a lot of groups and opportunities. I didn't live in a traditional dorm but an apartment style with a kitchenette and a bathroom which I loved. However, I didn't really know a lot of people on my floor. I didn't click with really anyone in my classes but that could have been my fault, I think I'll have more success when I get out of gen eds.

After completing one year at Temple University, I can honestly say I am in love with this school. It has its drawbacks with its location in Philadelphia, but being in the city has so much to offer. On campus is always a great time during the day, but after dark some people might have some concerns.

Gabrielle

Temple University is the type of school that could be considered a big school, but if you take advantage of the opportunities offered around campus you can make it feel like a small school. Although the campus is not located as close to downtown as some of the other city universities, the city life is accessible if you are interested in part-taking in that life. If students are interested in the medical field, there is an abundant amount of opportunities offered to undergraduate students at the Health Campus. Students are able to talk with in-field professors or those involved in research to gain more information about the field they would like to pursue. Overall, Temple University has a lot to offer to many different types of students and is definitely worth considering for prospective students.

Tracy

Temple University is located in the middle of urban Philadelphia, PA. Several miles away from Center City, it also provides a vast network of alumni within the city for future graduates on the job look-out. Internships are also easy to discover within the university's website and within the city. There is a diverse list of majors and areas of study to choose from. Besides the main campus, there are a number of campuses within Pennsylvania, and abroad such as in Rome and Japan. The academics at Temple are rigorous, and professors are well-versed in their areas of teaching. They usually keep accessible office hours, and are willing to help out students in need. There are a number of on-campus housing options, as well as many affordable apartments in the surrounding area. Campus safety provides a number of services and numbers to ensure students feel secure on campus, both day and night. Being in a big city, students are however cautioned to stay aware of their surroundings and be conscientious when walking around late in the evening and at night. There is an excessive amount of clubs and extracurricular activities to get involved in. Many hold events throughout the year such as to raise awareness for pressing issues in society, casual bake sales, some giveaways, and some evening dances or events. The performing arts division at Temple includes majors in theater, film, music, and dance. All programs have opportunities throughout the year to showcase their work to the Temple and public community, many of which are free. The career center, writing center, counselling center, and many other campus resources help keep students engaged both physically and mentally with their academics and in maintaining a healthy college lifestyle.

Ann

Temple is not a five star school, but it isn't a terrible place either. I've learned a lot more outside of the classroom then I ever would have if I'd stayed in my hometown. I saw the pope, I met people from all around the world, I'm going to travel to Belize for studies soon, and I've made invaluable connections on the East Coast. And I've still got two years to go. You've got access to Philly, one of the oldest and more laid back cities around. Take full advantage of that opportunity. Academically it is on par with state universities. Some classes are just enormous, and come with all the ups and downs of one. Once you begin getting into more challenging major specific courses it gets to a reasonable size (20-30, sometimes less). But I haven't noticed a lack of quality. A lot of people have safety concerns, and they are valid, but just remember to be respectful, mind your own business, and keep your doors locked and possessions in sight. Usual city living. As a general rule of thumb, before you become familiar with the area stay south of Susquehanna. Keep in Temple's bubble (unless you're taking the train to center city or south philly) until you know where to romp around in any other area of North Philly.

Eliot

Very active, diverse, and engaging campus. Everyone I've come across has been down-to-earth; I think it's the upside of a city school like Temple. There's always something to do, even if you don't feel like staying on campus, you're a quick train ride from Philly proper. The food trucks are legendary, the education is at worst solidly good (and at best amazing), the campus culture is colorful and lively.

Loved Temple life, but could use improvements in safety, on campus shops and restaurants.