Nashville, TN
Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tennessee State University

Thomas

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is to learn as much as you can while in high school. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible while in high school. Lastly, I would tell my high school self to get a high GPA early on in college; I would tell myself the importance of GPA and the opportunities available the high it is. I would also tell my high school self to choose a major not only what they would enjoy, but what would also be a prominent and in demand career upon graduation.

A person who is lazy, breaks rules, and not open to learning should not attend this school. Also, those who are not open to new experiences and meeting new and different kinds of people should not attend.

Tiffany

I am in a very racially diverse class. Each of us are very goal oriented.

I am in a very racially diverse class. Each of us are very goal oriented.

Keep in mind that your goals need to come first. It is acceptable to be selfish when it comes to your education. The only person that can ever take your education away from you, is yourself. Listen to your friends and family that have already been to college, their advice will be needed. It is acceptable to allow others to help you, accept the help but do not abuse it. Study!!! The most important thing is to budget your time. Make sure you study and do not forget to have fun.

Teryn

I would tell myself that my mom will not be able to enforce the changes of my grades, or make sure I'm up for school, it will be me that has to have that drive to go further and talk to my teachers and have the courage to raise my hand in class. I would also tell myself to apply for scholarships earlier than everyone else, and dont bring your whole life with you because it wont be enough room for that in the dorms, also I would have better prepared myself to learn that in life everyone isnt your friend and that you have to learned from others. I say that because everyone and everything that happenes in your life is a blessing or a lesson but I will have to be the one to realize it. So, I would say to come into school with my head in the game because college is real life not a game and you pay a lot of money to be there and that can all be taken away. College is full of lessons to learn and I needed to be ready for them but overall its a great experience.

Someone that speaks up for themselves, responsible, determined, leader, friendly, cares about keeping the campus cleana nd willing to put in the hard work because the teachers here dont make it easy. Also a persn that has their head on straight and ready to take that next step into higher education where you have to look, dress, speak, think, and act the part and then they will be willing to help you. But if you arent trying they wont try for you.

Someone that is not focused on there work, someone that doesnt speak up for themselves and do things without their parents, someone that falls into peer pressure easliy, dirty, careless and someone not willing to go the extra mile to make sure they get the best educaion

Amyn

Learn to study. Even though you do not find yourself needing to study now, you will need the skills once you begin college. Sometimes life throws you curveballs, don't sweat it. You will make the right decisions.

Don't be nervous or scared about how you will be perceived by other students. The University hosts a very diverse group of students of all ages and ethnicities. The classes are smaller than most other universities, and the for the most part, the professors are interested in your success.

The most frustrating part of most universities is parking for students who commute. That is the most frustrating part of TSU as well; however, I have never been late to a class because of parking. There are places off campus that are still close enough to park if a spot isn't available.

Melissa

There are many things I would say to my high school senior self. Some of the main things I would say are to never limit yourself just because someone on the faculty implies that you cannot handle it. I would say “go ahead and take a chance at learning an upper level math class. Just because you are in your senior year and already have the minimum requirements for graduation, you should take the class; it will help prepare you for college.” The second thing I would say is that “sure you were pigeon holed through the years in school, just look at it as wasted potential, but what you did get out of it is something called hard work.” The third thing I would say is that “people may use pretty words for the meaning of the word ‘dumb’, never believe them, you are just an average person like everyone else. Everyone has the ability to learn anything; it just takes a different learning approach or learning style.” The last thing I would say is that “never be afraid of failure, as long as you work hard towards your goal, you’ll reach it eventually.”

Malcolm

I would advise to plan ahead what you want career wise and make sure that the university you are attending has what you need to make that plan a success. Also, know your program's guide, it'll help you avoid taking classes not needed and/or repeating classes. And apply for any and all scholarships, the more the better.

registration and financial aid lines because it becomes long tedious.

Kendyl

Dear 18-year-old-self, Congratulations! You are about to graduate and head off to college! Not so fast, you didn't actually get enough money to go to the schools you applied for so don't pay that $500 deposit. You'll be attending community college for the next year. I know you are really unhappy about this and disapointed, but its not all bad! Your classes will be easy as long as you actually go to class (GO TO CLASS!), and the classes are a lot smaller than your friends attending their dream school, so make sure you get some rec letters from your professors. You will have the oppertunity to get ahead a year by taking more than 15 credits a semester because the classes are so easy, DO IT! You will also have the oppertunity to participate in the Disney College Program. Enjoy every long tiring minute of it because you will miss everything about it as soon as you leave. Make sure you have fun during your last year of high school, becuase it will be they last year with no responsiblities. Make sure to be selfish while you can! Love, 20-year-old BrokeCollegeStudent

Keheira

My classmates are crazy, fun, party people that still know how to get work done.

Dear self, Well look at you getting readdy to graduate from the only public school you have ever attended. I'm from the future and I just want to tell you to keep doing what you are doing. It is ok you don't have the 3.5 GPA or the SAT score that conflicts with the ACT. Just know you are still doing good. I found out that you can repeal that rejection from University of Southern California but don't do it because we still can get what we want. I'm sure you are down to paying a semester for school or free school. As much as I wanted to go to North Carolina A&T it is ok to spend that year at TSU. You get a wonderful start but don't sign up for the general education course if possible and focus on major pre-courses. Well work hard like I know you will so we can transfer to North Carolina A&T. Love, Keheira from the future

Anybody that wants to be at a medium size school that has a good mix of fun and play should attend. We have a pretty good football and Men's basketball team if you like sports. Also if you looking for an Engineering school in the South we rank in the top (or so I've been told).

Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.