Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

While this is my first semester in college I can truthfully say that what I have gotten out of my college experience so far is learning. I have decided to major in Biology, which is not a very easy major to have. It requires a lot of essential learning from previous years as well as current learning from trained professors. I also learned how to budget my time better, something I haven't had the opportunity to do up until now. College so far has made me a better person, it has made me less dependent upon people and has shown me the wonders of taking life into my own hands. College has been valuable for me to attend because I know in the long run it will open many doors for me. My future is based solely upon college and all that I will learn from my experiences there; from the professors that teach me, to the friends that I will form life long bonds with. It starts by that first move in deciding to go to college and there will I gain all the experience and knowlege to one day get my dream fulfilled of becoming a doctor.

If I could give any advice it would be to know why you are in school! You are there for your education not for a social life. Granted a social life is a must to unwind from the stress of school, but keep it is balance! Know that when you join an organization on campus it will take up a lot of you time. Make sure you can balance everything. Also, get to know you professors, do interships, volunteer, and make as many connections you can! Make sure you ask your advisor questions and that they are able to answer your questions fully and honestly, if they can't then GET A NEW ADVISOR!!! Be confident in who you are. Romantic relationships can be very distracting make sure your significant other supports and respects your study time. Never give up! No matter what is thrown your way press on. I dealt with the death of family and friends. Also a father with lung cancer! Live on campus if possible so you do not have to worry about paying bills! If you have to life off campus and work stay focused and work hard! Do not give up!

First, i would say while in high school, starting no later than the junior year, start researching schools you want to go to. Go on college tours to help you get a feel of the campus. Many organizations have college tours during Spring Break where students can tour a wide variety of colleges. While visiting colleges on tours or on your own, have a list of questions to ask each college to help you narrow down your choice (ex. Is it accredited, Do they have your major, Do they offer financial aid, Student to teacher ratio, Tution amount, Size of school, Organizations). Talk to students to see how they feel about the school, and get different opinions about the college life. Talk to the head of the Department of your college major to see if they are offering scholarships and to discuss the cirruculum, since most of your classes will be in that department. Finally, weigh out the pros and cons of each school you visited to help you decide which schools you want to apply to and decide on once you get accepted.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is to start looking for scholarship money as soon as possible! I feel like schools need to focus on scholarship opportunities for their seniors. I would have told myself to go to my counselors and ask more about the process. College is essential and it is hard to pay for! I wish someone would have introduced myself and my classmates to the college setup. I believe they focus to much on studies, not that it isn't important, however you have to be able to understand what you are getting into before you can even get to those studies. I wish I would have known and I feel my high school did a poor job of getting us ready for the transition. I would have, as a senior, looked more into the process had I known how difficult it is. Studies is only one aspect, but as I mentioned before there is a lot to getting into a college and paying for it, if you don't have the money you can't get to the classes. That is what I would tell myself as a high school senior!

If I could go back in time when I was a senior, I would tell myself to "buckle down" more. Higher my GPA and grades so I would be eligible to get more scholarships and grants than I have now. I would have also joined more clubs and societies because that looks good on your transcripts for college recruiters. I didn't think about these things in high school because I didn't really have anyone to look up to. They would pressure me to do it but I felt like it had no point. But now I know how it can affect your eligibility for what you want to do in the future. I would also let myself know that college is nothing like high school. I need to get a plan together and meet the deadlines of the college I want to attend. I would have told myself to fill out the FAFSA, the college applications, and the student loan papers ASAP. Those are the many things that I didn?t do on time and so it kind of slowed down the process of getting in school. That?s something that I want all future students to know.

I would use better judgement in time management. Juggling social activities and academics can be very overwhelming. Having a better financial knowledge would also have helped. WIth all hard work comes great rewards and making the dean's list is very rewarding. It is possible to have both a great social life and good grades, it is just a matter of discipline. Going to college makes you grow up, so embrace that and do not run from it. Being a grown up has its pros and believe it or not, life gets much better with age. So, enjoy the experiences and learn from them. Take advantages of all opportunities and it will benefit you in the long run. By asking questions, you learn more, so ask away. If you open your mind to new experiences, you will have the world at your finger tips. And last, just show up. By showing up, you are taking the first step to the rest of your life. Do not give up the opportunity of a lifetime. It will all be over before you know it, so enjoy the ride.

College is a once in a lifetime experience. Some people see college as a means to a better paying job, while others look at it as the start of a new and exciting life changing experience. I see college as a new book waiting to be opened and read. I've been attending college for the past two years and so far it has broadened my outlook on life. My college experience has made me much more independent as well as outgoing. The experience I've gained has taught me that everything in this world is achievable if you work hard and if you treat people with the respect that you’d expect in return. It is by far the most valuable possession I own. College has allowed me to branch out and meet new friends from all over the world, it is why I see college as just the table of contents in the novel of my life. Towards the end of my journey I foresee my experience in college to be a valuable attribute in attaining a well paying job as well as being a key valued member of society. Thank you

When choosing a college to attend you should choose a school that has the best program for your major. You should also look at things like the location of the school and ask yourself "Will i be happy here?". If you know that you would learn better with more one on one with your professors choose a smaller college rather than a bigger one. Also, college should be fun so pick a school thats right for you based on academics as well as social life. If your thinking about going away to college in another state make sure that it is something you really want to do because that adjustment can be really hard. The most important thing is to balance your social life and school life accordingly. You have to be able to have fun but still get your work done. It would also be a good idea to get involved in campus activities, clubs, and organizations, joining one could make your college experience much better. Be careful when choosing a college and make sure you make the right decision.

College , the transitioning phase between high school and the path in which one will take for the remainder of their lives. The things that I have learned within my 3 years of undergrad education as first time college student, are lessons that I wish someone would have warned me about. If possible for me to return to 2009, before graduating high school, I would have taught myself to budget and save more funds, place more emphasis on standardized test, i.e. ACT and SAT, and lastly become more involved. During your college years, funds are of importance, being that work should be on the back burner of education. The ACT and ST determine the amount of money you recieve through aid, and lastly the envolvement. College is designated to finding yourself, this is impossible if you don't experience the full effects and benefits of college. I put forth my best and will graduate within 3 years, but things could have went alot smoother if these 3 facts were not circling in my mind.

What would I tell myself if I could go back in time and go to high school? Some people would tell themselves to stay out of trouble or be nicer to people who didn’t have many friends. If I could go back in time and go back to high school, I would tell myself to study more and pay attention more In math class. I would tell myself to study more in math and pay more attention to my math teacher. In my math class in high school, I used to copy off of other students’ homework and pass. If I would have studied more and paid more attention, I would have scored higher on my ACT or I would have had better grades in high school in that subject. Now that I am in college, math has gotten hard and I have to take the developmental courses which do not give me credit for my major. If I would have studied, I might be in college algebra right now. If I had known how hard math would be in college, then I would have tried harder in math in high school. I would have been a better student.