Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

College can be defined in many different ways to a lot of different people, but for me it was summed up in two words: eye-opening. In high school, I truly believed I knew everything and all of these "mature adults" giving me advice really didn't know what they were talking that. However, when I got to college I soon found out that mom and dad were not around anymore, and there's a little bit more freedom to do what I want. Whether that means that I'm doing great things or messing up terribly. I have been raised in a conservative household, and college was a bit of a culture shock to me. Overall, I learned that I have a LOT left to learn in terms of life, school, love and war! The lessons I learned have been priceless, and I can't wait to see what more I can learn. I hate the fact that something so simple as money could possibly hinder that learning experience for me. If I could get this scholarship...well, there's not really words to express how grateful I would be.

If I could go back to highschool to work harder in getting good grades and not playing around in the classroom along with friends. but it was hard on me being at school once my little sister got sick. I was never at home and moving around to stay with a family members at times. I really wasn't thinking about college or how my grades affected me at the time until my junior year of highschool. And that year was hard that same year my sister died at the age of one years old. but I still came to school every day gave it my all during my highschool year. I always did my work and work hard to earn good grades in all my classes. The advice I would give myself is to never give up on your dreams and have faith towards the journey or what ever you are tryin to achieve. And don't let nobody tell you that you can't do it because you can. My goals was to become better than my parents and to prove to myself that I can do it . I can do it and to prove others that wrong.

I would attend a school that provided the most financial aid. I look back now and see that I turned down a scholarship to atend a school that was giving me almost a full ride. However, I chose a school that I truly wanted to attend based on my visit to the campus. I liked the people, the staff appeared very nice and helpful and it was in a warm climate area. I loved my first year being on campus, and the teachers were very helpful during my first year. However, now that I have been there three years, money has gotten very tight. I have had to take out student loans because my parents could not afford to pay my full tutition. I feel that the school should be providing me some sort of scholarship based on my 3.3 gpa, the fact that I have been on the Dean's list for the past two years, and the fact that I am in their honor's program. I have gone to the financial department but they have not been very helpful at all. They say that the school has no money.

The period of high school senior was all about fun and not reading. I took life so simply and never knew what was ahead of me. Now i have realize it, i know what is best for me. Back in the day i was one student that love to make fun of people and just dont care how it will hurt them. Never like to read and dont take high school serious. I did not have F or D in my report cards because i feel too smart about myself, never knew that college would not be simple for me as a freshman.High school senior work was easy for me to do. Comming to college has shown me different rules in life that i never knew i could acknowledge in my own mentality. If i could go back in time to be an high school senior i would have change the way i see ideas in life, like taking my books serious and never make fun of people, because it breaks their heart when u do that. and also be genorous and smile all the time. "Education is a Life Time until u see the Outcome in your Children".

I would tell myself that my mom will not be able to enforce the changes of my grades, or make sure I'm up for school, it will be me that has to have that drive to go further and talk to my teachers and have the courage to raise my hand in class. I would also tell myself to apply for scholarships earlier than everyone else, and dont bring your whole life with you because it wont be enough room for that in the dorms, also I would have better prepared myself to learn that in life everyone isnt your friend and that you have to learned from others. I say that because everyone and everything that happenes in your life is a blessing or a lesson but I will have to be the one to realize it. So, I would say to come into school with my head in the game because college is real life not a game and you pay a lot of money to be there and that can all be taken away. College is full of lessons to learn and I needed to be ready for them but overall its a great experience.

I would go back to my high school self and encourage myself to stand up and standout. I have a tendency to let my pride take over, but more so then than now. There were many missed opportunities because I let my pride get the best of me, but I would go back and tell myself to stand up and standout to my prideful ways. I would go back and tell myself to stand up and standout against my childish ways. I’m not saying it’s not right or good to have fun, because it is, but there’s a place and time, and during school while I’m supposed to be learning and preparing for college just isn’t the place or time. I would go back and tell myself to stand up and standout to those people that told me I couldn’t make it and do better, because I listened to and focused on them so much, that I forgot and didn’t recognize the potential and knowledge I had not even tapped into. I am having to make up for the time and effort not put into school in high school, now in college.

TAKE YOUR TIME, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Choosing a college is one of the most important decisions a person will have to make, that can ultimately affect the quality of their future. Rushing into that decision can put one into a positon where they are paying a LARGE quantity of money to come to a school that is either not right for them, does not provide an adequate enough education, or simply is not truly where their heart tells them to be. Your college years are the best years of your life, and it is imperative that you pick somewhere that embodies you. Once in college: GET INVOLVED. Malcolm X and Ghandi made an impact on this world by standing up and getting out their message to the masses. You can not take advantage of what your campus offers by sitting in your dorm room!!! Attend events, parties, seminars, etc. By getting your face out on campus, one will be surprised at the doors that open for them!!!

I have gained a better sense of who I am and what it takes for me to obtain my degree from TSU. I no longer doubt my self and I now know that I can be anything I want to be. TSU has taught me that diversity is wonderful and learning from others can only enrich my life. I have really lerned how to accept change and that change is uncomfortable but sometimes necessary. I have learned that being on my own isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I have been pushed to be independent and make decisions without my parents. I have learned that the decisions I make must support my choice to attend TSU and graduate in 2013. TSU has enhanced my belief that one person is of more value than the world and that we must help each other in order to be successful. It has been of great value for me because I am surrounded by many ppeople that really care and want to see me succeed. I love TSU

Instead of going to the military from highschool, I would have went straight to college instead and enjoyed the college experience and waited to have a baby. Applying for college early and going on college tours might have made me change my decision about going to the military first. Being a "non-traditional" student made me feel kind of akward and so much older than the traditional college students. I had to work full-time so I missed out on alot of events. My overall advice to myself would be to attend college and graduate then go to themilitary ,wait on having any children and enjoy life while you're young. Find others who have similar interets and surround yourself around positive people. Makesure to handle your paperwork in a timely manner and look for scholarships and work study programs to assist you financially. Pack lots of snacks and food and remember to bring shower shoes!

If i could go back in time as a high school senior, i would tell myself to continue to strive for the best as far as grades. I would also tell myself to plan ahead and accordingly to my life goals and to keep a positive attitude. Another thing i would tell myself is to take care of everything before i make the transition of moving to another state or even county, because you don't want to be up for any surprises. I would also tell myself to save all the money that you get as a graduation gift, simply because college is expensive and you never know how many books you need for a class (clothes and other material items can wait and always be purchased, an education will always be there too but it's way more important). In conclusion, I would tell myself to enjoy my senior year, but to put my college plans as number one on my priority list because that's when life really begins.