Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

Taking a future decesion more seriously. As a high school student, sometimes the future doesn't seem as important as others may think. The ending of a high school students career is one peak in their social life. They may have a car, a part time job, or even a high school sweetheart. But going into your first semester at a university, life sets you back four years. The status you had as a senior in high school is now a freshman in college. And the process of growth begans all over again. As you go through this process, take what you learn and apply it to the future. Become the master of that destiny and serious consider what life you want to led when school is done. Because when that time rolls around, that is when reality becomes real and you are an adult in a world you prepared yourself for.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would start off by telling myself that college is a different ball game. It is nothing like high school. In college, I get to make new friends, and be active around campus. I should choose to go to college for the right reasons, and not the wrong reasons. Yes, college is expensive, but it is a life changing experience. College is also the experience to learn to be independent, learning to save money, and also help to understand who I am as a person and to develop myself to become a better and successful person. College tends to get diffucult, but it is very rewarding in the end. Parties and other off capmus activies are fun to attend, but I should focus on the main reason i am in college, and that's to get an education.

Knowing what I know about college life and making the transition, I would have told myself to concentrate more on the academics. Yes, forming good, healthy relationships with my peers was important but the doors that open up for students that do well in school are far more greater. Doing well in school doesn't only provide an avenue for getting scholarships and grants, but it too helps form healthy relationships with faculty and staff, other students and potential employers. Good grades will not only allow for an easy transition into college but allow for an easier transition into the work force. I have found, when speaking with different employers, that being on top of your game and being well rounded helps when competing with fellow job seekers.

I would advise parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is to start looking early and seriously. First, I would advise to look on the student abilities and talents, also what he or she is interested in, to decide which major to pick. Second, students and parents should decide on financial situation and look for it at least 2 years ahead, who will pay for college and how, do not hesitate to apply for financial aid and scholarships. Finally, based on the first two decisions, look for the college that best fits students major and area of interest, and financial situation of student. Parents and students, my advice is get serious about students future education and be concern about it early.

If i could go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, first i would tell myself don't follow the crowd. Picking the right college is a major decision that needs to be thoughtout well. Secondly, go for the challenging schools never be too afraid to go far away, you'll be more diversed and familiar with unknown territory. Thirdly, check deep into the background of the schools (sports,administration,activities,students etc.). Lastly, go with your first mind never second guess yourself, no one can choose the right school for you but yourself. As a junior in college i now see some mistakes i've made in picking my school but i don't regret it; I'll take everything as a lesson learned and become a better person eachday.

The advice I would give to myself is that I need to apply for a lot of scholarships because out-of-state tuition is very expensive and so that I do not have to take out a lot of loans. I would tell myself to save up enough money as I can for emergency reason such as for food, books, to come back home if needed. I would also tell myself to use my money wisely instead of spending it because I got it. I would tell myself that I need to have an open heart and open mind when people come to talk to me instead of just being quiet all the time. I would tell myself that do not procrastinate on any assignments. Once I get the assignment I must do it in a timely fashion instead of pushing it to the side. This is waht i would tell myself.

I would advice the student to look at your choices from every angle to ensure that the school fits what's best for you. Everything from location to majors to social possibilities should be considered so that you will have the best college experience that you forsee for yourself. Parents before bringing the financial end of the equation in to play, I say that you should hear your child out first because one thing that is important is the student's happiness. If the student absolutely hates the school, then it will be very difficult for the student to focus because that fact will constantly ponder. If they are happy they will do whatever it takes to make sure that they can attend the university and succeed.

School has been extremyl valuable within my attendance. Ive met so many different people from so many different places. Being in college has also helped me grow up in a sense. Since ive been in college, ive taken my education far more seriously. School is not something you should play with. You have to remain focused and remember why your at your school in the first place. You have to rememeber that your paying for your education, and given the opportunity to better yourself as an individual. I would also like to stress how important it is to obtain a high GPA. With a good GPA your opportunities are endless. My first year of college I didnt really apply myself as I should have, and now im suffering the cost.

If I were given the ability to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to set my priorities towards academics rather than partying and sports. By prioritizing academics before everthing else I would be able to get more scholarships and grants for school since college is really expensive. I would tell myself that college does not pay for itself. Working in order to pay for school is highly difficult. It is really hard to work and be able to have time to study and focus on school. Working and going to school will leave me with little time to myself and add stress to life. I would definitely tell myself to work hard , study hard, then party after I have succeeded.

My advice to parents or students about findign the right college and making the most of the college experince is that they have to remember that you are in college to get an education and every other thing is should come after your education. Attend a college that is very strong in your desired area of study. Also, make sure you apply on time and talk to the financial aid office about acholarships and grants that you might qualify for. When you arrive on campus get to know your peers, they will be your family for the next four years of your life, get involved in something you are really passionate about and have fun but do not forget to study college is hard but only as hard as you make it.