Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

Out of my college experience I have learned the value of money, the value of knowledge and how to make myself a better person for me and not for the views of others. I have also learned how to manage my time properly, how to be studious, and how to go above and beyond to reach my goals. Attending Tennessee State Univeristy have been valuable to me in many ways, one way is that this school is a historically black university so I've experienced things that I would have not experienced anywhere else. This college allows you to grow in many areas and it challenges you to take risk to better yourself. Also, Tennessee State prepares your for the real working force and it helps you along the way.

If I could go back in time and talk to a high school senior my advice would be to start early on their college and scholarship application process. Both college applications and scholarship applications can be very time consuming and require a great deal of attention and effort. There are millions of other students applying for the same schools and scholarships you are, so you want to put your best foot forward. Another piece of advice I would give a high school senior is to have a parent/guardian or even your counseler to help you with this process. It can become very overwhelming and stressful and the help from someone who has experience with this cycle can help guide you along the way.

Make sure you have more than one choice just in case your first college does not accept you, nothing is guaranteed. You should also make sure you apply to as many scholarships as you can. Its good to visit the schools that you have in mind just to get a feel for the campus. Ask other students what they like and dislike about that school. Staying on campus is definitely a plus, this is how I became familiar with my school. Ask about having a mentor becuase they are always a big help. Attending school events such as seminar, football games, and other events also is a big help. Utilize the career center they help with internships and long term jobs so that you can make money on the side.

The guidance I would give to myself is if I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would enlighten myself to increase my 3.67 GPA to a 4.0 in order to receive more scholarships for my school tuition. While I worked as a fast food restaurant cashier, I would have saved more money toward my emergency financial aid issues. I would also have said to attend Tennessee State University like I am now. Stay a person in charge, and never become an admirer. Admirers hang about in the background, while the person in charge shines in the front. Lastly, I would say to never settle for less and always do my best because sticking with my goals will make me very successful one day.

SAVE MONEY... apply for scholarships and never take no for a answer. I have always wanted to go to TSU ever since i was 11 years old. I knew thats where i wanted to be but you have to know that you have to make the decision for your self. Your parents cant make it for you , counselors or your peers. Your future is what you make it and it reflect's how many opportunities that you have actually taken adavantage of. As you can see I used the word "you" a numerous amount of times. This is because this the time in your life to be so selfish about yourself and it's perfectly ok!!! I love my college experience so far and I can't wait to continue on with my collegiate career.

Knowing what I know now, I would have changed my whole outcome on my education throughout high school in general. Being out on my own, and living on my own, I have to pay for college on my own. If I knew then that I would be working three jobs and still be needing help financially, I think I would have tried harder, and prioritized things better. If I could go back to myself my senior year, i would tell myself to pay attention and to make better grades, to try harder than my hardest and to start preparing for college right then. If I would have done better throughout high school, I would have possibly gotten a scholarship and life now would be so much easier on me.

There have been many things I have gained throughout my college experience at Tennessee State University. Besides gaining the few obvious; education, a home away from home, and long lasting relationships between new found friends and professors; I feel as if I gained myself. Attending TSU allowed me to step into my own; allowing me to search within myself and find out who I really am. Out of everything I gained from being a TSU Tiger, finding myself, to me was what made TSU so valuable. My decision to attend TSU was 95% random and 5% on programs of interest; leaving me very happy with the education I have obtained and just a wonderful overall experience.

I would tell myself that college isn't a walk in the park. It's not going to be easy, in fact, it's going to take a lot of time and commitment. At times you're going to have to force yourself to study and be diligent even when you don't want to. You will push yourself beyond your comfort zone at times and it will make you feel uncomfortable. College is either something you want or don't want; there's no inbetween. In the end, it's all worth it. The feeling you will recieve from accomplishing your persued career is overwhelming and great. Once you start, don't stop. Keep your head and mind forward and you will accomplish great things.

If I could go back in time and give myself about the transition to college life, I would tell myself to use all of the resources and people available to you. Make sure I ask my advisors and teachers as many questions as possible. I would make sure I use the writing center to help write my research papers and speeches. I would also make sure I attend meetings that involve my residence hall and my class so that I will be aware of all events taking place that might be considered important to. One of the more important things would be don't be scared to network and meet other people. Networking will be very valuable to your life after college.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus more on education and less on popularity. I would tell myself to apply for scholarships and to get a few letters of recommendation. I now understand that it takes prepartion to get into a good college. I would inform myself to research colleges that best suit my field of study. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make myself study harder and apply myself more. I would tell myself to take the ACT and to take the SAT again. I would also tell myself to save money because college is very expensive.