Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

Looking back as a high school senior and knowing what I know know about college life and making the transition I would tell myself that college is a little different than high school. College you have to have good study habits and on top buisness. You have good study habits because in High School you may have had a lot of time to study for one particular test but in college you have multiple test at one time and you do not get as much time to study. You also have to be on top of your buisness because your parents are not here to push you and tell you what to do. Another thing I would tell myself is college is what you make it.

If I could go back in time and tell myself the things I know now, the first thing I would say would be "boy pay attention" your future depends on it. Also take your time to learn your chosen field of study. Do not under no circumstance think that you are not good enough to ask questions about something you don't understand. Just because you are one of the first in your family to have an opportunity to go to college doesn't mean that you will fail. Stay positive and don't let the failures of those that are close to you determine your future. You can do it. Believe in yourself. You can do it. Just believe in yourself.

If I could go back in time and give myself the advice that I know now I would probably have to say to myself to make my time at Tennessee State University the best that it can be. It is very cool to be able to make friends and things like that, but I think I would like to make sure that I am more involved within my community and school. I would tell myself to always stay focused and make sure that I am always focused on the bigger picture because once I gradutate it is time for the real world. Make sure I take full advantage of the resources that I am given. It makes a difference and can help in the long run.

I think my college experience has allowed me to reach to the depths of myself to find motivation and drive to succeed. I have been fortunate enough to have teachers that saw my potential and chose to help me cultivate it. Apart from techical skills taught in college, I believe the purpose of education to be to show students the value of critical thinking skills and how to use them to enrich one's life as well as demonstrate how, with theses skills, much the world can serve them in helping one achieve one's dreams. My college experience has done all this for me. I consider no part of it wasted.

I would take advantage of advanced placements courses because it could give you credits towards college. I would study a little harder for the ACT and SAT because with low scores some colleges or university would place you in developmental classes based on your scores. Which could put you a semester behind. If you want to attend an out-state college or university try to get as many scholarships as possible because out- state tuition is very expensive. I would have ask for help more often and asked more question on what I didn't know because there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I would have told myself to finish my senior year off very strong and with the best grades that I could achieve. It would have been very important to work a lot more over the summer, inorder to have more money for when I got to school. Once moving to college, It would have been best to network a lot sooner then I did. Its important to stay on top of all of the work and work extra hard to mantain a great gpa. I would let myself know to make sure to choose a major that I knew that I was going to stick to and get a degree in. I would've encourge myself to get invould way more on campus.

What I have gotten out of my experience of attending college is the luxury of having to be on my own and take responsibility for myself and my actions. The mistakes I made my parents couldn't take the blame for or try to cover them up, I had to become an adult and make my own decisions whether right or wrong. It has been valuable to attend college because many doubted that I would survive a month in school let alone a year and yet, I proved them wrong. Attending college gives me a better chance at making it in life and to show my younger sibling that if I can do it, they can also!

To make sure I focus, so that my GPA would be higher than what is was. Engage in better study habbits and better communication. I don't like speaking in front of people, and in high school even though I knew everybody I still couldn't talk in front of people, I would have tried to work on that more. My teachers knew me pretty well so I like the relationship I had with them, to continue it over into my university life. Other than that besides financial things, i think I transitioned well, I wouldn't change much, because I learned from everything I have been through.

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say:Get yourself into college as soon as possible do not wait and that you should have a college experience including the hassles of living in a dorm instead of working full time at minimum wage and going to school full time.I would also tell myself to go to the school you want to not just because its close to where your significant other lives, and to take the ACT more seriously it determines your path.I would also tell myself that summer courses aren't a bad thing and put you ahead of the game.

I really wish i would have taken the higher education classes and done PSEO. By taking those classes and getting my generals done i would have been in a much better spot i am now. I would have understood more of how college goes and saved money if i would have done that. I would have taken more health related classes to get used to my field i want to go in. Would have been more involved with interacting with others who are interested in the same career path. Study as hard as you can, learn as much as you can, and do the best that you can in everything.