Laredo, TX
Texas A & M International University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas A & M International University

Matthew

College has been the best of times and the worst of times; it requires a special dedication to work that I did not have in high school, and also will provide the greatest friendships and love you will ever know. The best advice I can give is this: do not forget why you are here. Do not forget that there is work to be done and goals to achieve; the friendships will remain strong if they are intended to be, so make sure to focus on your work as well as your relationships. College is definitely hard, the high school teachers don't joke about that, but it is not the work that is hard, it is the struggle to commit to doing your work that is. The transition to college life is not too difficult but requires you to have self-control and avoid the wrong crowds. First and foremost, you are a student, and your goals will change the world if you work towards them. Remain dedicated, as your friends and family want you too, and remember not to give up when it gets hard; keep moving forward no matter what the cost.

Jared

The location of my school is what makes TAMIU unique from other schools. Because of the proximity to the U.S.-Mexico border the lifestyle and culture in Laredo is very different from that of any other campus that I took into consideration for furthering my education.

I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. As an athlete in high school you are given certain privileges, and I took full advantage of those priviliges and then some. If I would have taken high school more seriously in the classroom and on the field of competition I feel I could have better prepared myself for college and the lifestyle that comes with it. I would also tell myself to realize the importance of time management and the importance of being able to do things on your own without needing words of encouragment to make myself do the right thing.

I brag about the school's outstanding campus, and the amount of wild life that is on campus. I also brag about the people that attend this university, because they are the one's that make this university a great place to come to.

Rolando

Knowing myself, I believe that I would at first ask about my personal life if myself from the future came to visit me in the past. But ignoring that, one important thing would be to follow what you want to do: whether it is to become a member of the Student Government Association, a member of the Cross Country & Track team, or a more involved dancer for Texas A&M International University. Another idea would be to make time for yourself, your personal life, your family, and workforce. All in all, the main idea is to follow your dreams at what you want to do and what to be.

Before I entered Texas A&M International University, I did not have a minor, along with my Political Science major, to my Bachelor's Degree. During the end of my first semester, I acquired a Dance minor to my education; however, it did complicate things for my education future, degree, and classes. If there was one thing I wish I had known before I entered the University is what minor I wanted for my college education. I believe it would have not complicated my education if I had chosen the minor beforehand.

At this very moment, I believe that my University has hard-working professors, wonderful mentors, excellent fitness instructors, and the friendly environment; however, the most frustrating thing I believe are the students who are working at the University. Several student-wokers are extremely immature, loud, rowdy, and not very helpful.

Brenda

Ethnically diverse. Everyone seems original, not many followers of trends. Nice, sociable.

Dear past-me, I know you don't want to follow in your family's footsteps but don't bother going out of the box. You will try Auto Body Repair and then Psychology. You..will...hate it. You will finally change your major to environmental science in order to join everyone at the USDA. Do what you know, not what you think you'll like. Graduate first then go and take photography classes with the steady paycheck you'll be earning. We're almost there!! Cross your fingers! Love, Future-me. -

Victoria

TAMIU is an amazing campus with wildlife that often walk around campus, and there is always someone there to help you out.

Being a school with the most Hispanic/Latino rate of graduation.

If I could go back, I would definitely take college courses during summer. I would ask my counselor about different univieristies and how I could get more information about that. I would be more focused with all the scholarships that are out there and complete as many as possible, so that I know not to get loans. I would go visit different univeristies during my summers and really figure out what I would like to major in. I would focus more on school rather than on the high school life and friends, because at the end of the day you lose many friends in college. Most importantly, I would apply for housing on campus to be able to focus on college rather than problems at home.

Jesus

The Texas A & M International University is most known for the percent of Latinos finishing college and going on to getting a career in their subject of interest. That and the fact that most students that attend this college have more of a chance of finishing here rather to transfer for dislike or drop out from "diffucult" classes.

I would say something along the lines of "Hey buddy, you need to get your act together for this final year. Math will really be diffucult unless you pay attention to even the finest detail. Pay attention to the other classes and dont get lazy enough though its the final year. Save lots of money because once you go to college they arent kidding about the price. Its not extremely pricey but you will need a lot of help. Also don't apply to any local scholarships except the Leyendecker Construction one. You won't get a single scholarship except that one i told you to apply to, mainly because all of the scholarships will be given to family members of workers and will only work to irrate you. Other than all of that you should be fine. I hope you the best in this year and you can always look to the future gladly. Our future looks bright man."

I tell them that the school is full of harmless wildlife, which adds to the beauty of the school and i also boast about the fact that in this school a person of any kind of group is welcome and understood. Whether they may like government or card games, there is a club for anyone and everyone.

Fernando

Classmates here usually focus on themselves and or their friends. Everyone here is kind of in their own world with their own friends.

I would tell myself to apply for all the scholarships available, not to slack off, focus still on my studies, get used to reading more, listen to my counselors, teachers, mentors. I would basically just be more attentive with the future on not let things pass but to stay up to date.

People that are interested in above average college classes should come here.

Daniela

My school is very realx, nothing special.

My school is very realx, nothing special.

If I had the chance to go back in time and give myself college advice, I would definitely have done things differnetly. To start off, I would be a more deicated high school student, now as a college student, I have really learned what it is to pay for my education, and often times there has been scholarships and awards for good high school graduates. And unfortunatley, I slacked off in high school. So I would definitely be more concious about my studies. I would also plan to graduate as a junior. Now that I am in college, I love my area of study, but I am anxious to finish and start my life. Had I started earlier in high school, I would have finished sooner. I would also advice myself to go to a university away from home. I believe that was my biggest mistake, staying in Laredo. My plans were to finish my basics here then move out, but that never happened, I just stayed here, and I feel that I deprived myself of experiencing so much. So if I could do it over, I would have certainly taken my advice and moved out and experience the world.

That there is no parking!! The school is growing, and almost at any time of the day, it is extremely difficult to find a parking place.

Wendy

My classmates are very friendly. They tend to help you out with class assingments in and out of class. Also, they are open to discussion and to study for tests in group.

Focus and get ahead. Those insecurities you have, the fear, and the frustration will all go away once you are hear. This will be the best decesion you will ever make, do not hesitate. Attend all of your residence halls and university's programs and events. Cheer loud for your athletes, jog around campus often and never take the sun for granted. When you fall in love for the first time in this university, let him know, and do it soon. Both you and him can write a wonderful story. Look up to your classmates, they can teach you valuable lessons, they will be your friends and stick by your side. Lastly, forget to procrastinate, that will never help. When schoolwork comes your way, never fear and tackle it down. Your professors believe in you, your peers believe in you; believe in yourself they same way they do.

It is a big commuting school. When there are activities, students get lazy about having to drive back and forth from home.

Aida

Its characteristic of being truly International; we have an ongoing community where 50% of its students are International. Also, we have profesors from Lebanon, Africa, Mexico, France, Chile, Spain and other countries. So basically you can say there is diversity in our University.

I have got the pleasure of meeting great people: teachers and peers. As well as having the opportunity of participating in community programs, gaining experience and skills in the Dance department. It has been valuable to attend TAMIU because it helped me find my own voice and to pursue my vocation; also it encouraged me to pursue a Master's Degree. TAMIU's Staff is well prepared in their subjects of teaching. I can name at least 7 different professors holding a PhD, thus students gain a better educational experience. Lastly, I had the opportunity of meeting the VIPS of TAMIU such as the President of the University, the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Chair of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Director of International Programs, and the Vice-President of Student Affairs and Alumni Association.

Small classes and not full auditorioums which actually allow students to meet their peers and teachers, and viceversa.

Texas A & M International University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.