Texas A & M International University

« See more reviews of Texas A & M International University

Going back in time, I would tell myself to devote my energy into my school work. Advising myself to be more involved with my school and to lead the study body into being more productive with their high school expierence. Unfortunately, I come from a small town near the border. My high school does not have many clubs or organizations because of its low population. Therefore, I would be more outspoken and creative to organize different school functions in order to promote leadership and student involvement. From my experience, fun and motivational activities enhance the will of students to learn and capture the essence of school. Time would be treasured and spent on studies on and off school. I would take better notes to promote higher level thinking skills and put them to good use. Using questions to access the understanding of the criteria, and will also increase my motivtion, curiosity and interest in the subject. I know from my experinces that motivation is the key to learn more and to retain information longer. Emphasizing on a more postivie attitude to attend school regularly to increase academic achievement. Set higher expectations that could be attainable and never give up.

Going back in time would serve as a perfect way to correct many mistakes I made. One of the most important things I would consider correcting would be checking in with the advisors the school provided for me and seeking knowledge on scholarship applications and how to obtain help from any private or public organizations available. Although we are aware that school is the most important thing in our present day, one of the most common negative factors is the cost of school and figuring out how to pay for it. Attending school can be the most expensive thing in life, because it consists of things such as, shelter, food, a working vehicle, books and school supplies and most importantly time. Learning about sponsors and financial aid is crucial when one is on the path towards success. The most important advice I would give myself, if traveling back in time was possible, is to figure out ways of how to pay for college and still have money left over to survive. Creating a budget plan, seeking help from family members or other organizations and a good savings account would definately have made the path to success a less rocky road.

My more responsible, prioritized, and proactive self would tell my lazy, care-free, and who fancied procrastination to, “Get off the couch and Facebook!!!” You see everyone would advise me to apply as many scholarships I could and start applying to the universities of my first choice, but my un-prioritized senior-self thought it was more important to find a prom dress and attend all senior events. You see my logic during that time was that I deserved a break from rigorous schoolwork. Yes, you are correct to think how foolish it was of me to pity myself as a burnt-out high school student as I now do. Therefore, if I possessed the ability to time travel, I would tell my younger self to stop pitying myself and start applying for scholarships because I was going to need it to pay for school, stop thinking that TAMIU will be easy, and most importantly STOP PROCRASTINATING! After I scream at myself to take action, I would offer some words of comfort and tell myself that even though it is hard to be a physical therapist and it would take six excruciating years, I know I or she will survive.

Ten days after graduating from high school, I left for the United States Marine Corps, and have subsequently been a Marine for the last nine years. In no way do I regret the decision that I made, however, if I were able to sit down with my high school self, I would offer him the following advice: Pursue your continuing education more aggressively while you're on Active Duty. You have so many tools at your disposal, and countless opportunities available to you. Make good use of them! As a Marine, it's easy to get lost in yourself and focus solely on what's best for the Marine Corps, while letting your own needs and self-interests sit on the backburner. Be smart, meet people, network, keep up the thirst for knowledge that you've always had, and never give up. Use your time wisely, because in a few years, you're going to realize how precious it truly is. I can't overexaggerate the importance of a good education, not just for the sake of having a degree, but to better yourself which will in turn, allow you to be a positive influence on those around you.

If there was a time machine with a green bright glow saying "restart", I would definitely press it. Now that I know what college is, I see that is nothing compared to High School. My senior year was nothing like I expected, sometimes things do not go they way someone has planned. My senior year was like a bad dream, unfortenately I had two broken bones during my year. One was my left hip which caused me to have a surgery to reconnect it. I was only thinking about getting out of the wheelchair, and not really thinking about my future. I did not apply for any scholarships, I missed Financial Aid night since I had to go to the doctor, and did everything at the last minute. I wish I could have been stronger, and had applied for different colleges, scholarships, because now I am stuggling with money, since only my mom works and my dad is handicapped. I would have told myself to not let my injuries interfere in my education, and success. I do regret not doing many things when i had the chance, but all one can do is keep on fighting for their dreams.

In the Fall, it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyone applying to schools. It's a very exciting time of year, and it is easy to feel left out and sad if you cannot apply for financial reasons. Everyone likes to think that going to the local community college is a negative thing, but I want you to realize that it will soon be one of the best things to happen to you. Consider first the amounts of money you will save by going to a community college and then transferring to a four year insitution, for this is the biggest benefit. All the money that you would be spending on transportation, books, and even housing going to a four year would be going to your pocket. Going to a community college also gives you the benefit of really deciding what it is you like to learn about because there are so many different classes to choose from. You can continuously change your mind without spending thousands of dollars at a time, so that when you finally do decide to transfer, you will be even more excited and motivated when you transfer.

Hey past me, whatsup, its future you from two years from now. Yea i know I traveled through time, awesome right? No, I cant take you with me to the times dinosaurs roamed the planet, trust me you do not want to. Anyways, I came here to give you advice. No not with girls, with college, trust your future self, this is more valuable than dating advice. Stop being so lazy all the time. Seriously, do your work on time. High school is easy and we procastinated like profesionals, but college is different. You need to study like two weeks before an exam, and all the time,seriously. Do your projects on time. One time I put off some projects and had to do them all during finals week, while studying for finals, you do not want to do that. It is horrible. Even though this may alter the time space continuum, heed my warnings! Stop being lazy. What? Still with that? Fine, shave that nasty beard alright, girls do not like that nasty stuble that you think looks awesome. I must now get back to my own time, and remember do not be lazy anymore, and study more.

If I had the chance to go back in time and give myself college advice, I would definitely have done things differnetly. To start off, I would be a more deicated high school student, now as a college student, I have really learned what it is to pay for my education, and often times there has been scholarships and awards for good high school graduates. And unfortunatley, I slacked off in high school. So I would definitely be more concious about my studies. I would also plan to graduate as a junior. Now that I am in college, I love my area of study, but I am anxious to finish and start my life. Had I started earlier in high school, I would have finished sooner. I would also advice myself to go to a university away from home. I believe that was my biggest mistake, staying in Laredo. My plans were to finish my basics here then move out, but that never happened, I just stayed here, and I feel that I deprived myself of experiencing so much. So if I could do it over, I would have certainly taken my advice and moved out and experience the world.

My college experience has not been at all difficult. I believe that the University I am attending does a great job with helping the students and meeting their needs. I am trying my best and studying hard to maintain a high GPA in school. And although I am doing everything possible to get the full college experience, I'm just not feeling it. Living with my parents hasn't let me feel the emotion of being independant, which is why I hope to study away from home. This is not a problem that bothers me all that much, but is a problem that takes away a bit from the "college experience" nonetheless. Also, I know now that your grade doesn't just depend on how you study, but on the interest you actually have in the class. The interest that a professor sees in you, determines the effort that he'll put forth in helping you. All these factors are things that I've learned throughout my academic career in my University. College life has been good so far, and I hope to get enough scholarship funds to continue experiencing an enjoyable college life.

College is probably one of the most important and difficult choice individuals have to make. Being able to go to college is a wonderful opportunity. My advice would be to have an open mind on your decision to which college you choose to go to. For parents, many of them have this dream college and future planned out for their children, but they also need to realize that their dreams aren't always the same as their kids. Communication is important. The parent of course is more knowledgable, and has a clearer head to make a decision that goes beyond where your friends are going or if the school has good parties, so students should listen to their parents as well. Overall, I believe it should be the students decision. They are the ones who will be attending the college, and if they feel forced, they will not enjoy it the way every person should, and in the end may resent their parents or just give up on college all together. This is the time to really live your life the way you want to, and you should take advantage of the possibilities.