Texas A & M University-Galveston

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-Galveston

My experience during the first year at Texas A&M University in Galveston has been valuable because not only has it helped me grow academically but also as a person. It has given me the experience of handling independence, making choices and the consequences that go along with the decisions made. I have learned to use trial and error on what works best in order to reach my goal of succeeding in my classes while not taking things for granted. But even more important, my experience this past year at college has lead me to more fully appreciate my parents and the sacrifices they do in order to help me get a higher education. In return, I have learned to work hard, managing my time with a job and studies as part of my responsibility to help pay for expenses incurred while at college. The managing of my time also includes prioritizing my studies, avoiding procrastination and focusing on my objectives while making time to join clubs and study groups where I have learned leadership skills. I believe the knowledge I have gained academically and personally are values I will treasure forever; while also forming the person I am today.

College life is not as easy as many people think and one needs to be well prepared to work hard in order to accomplish his/her goals. First of all schedule your time well allowing for class and personal study time. Then ensure that you attend all class lessons unless there is an emergency. If any make sure you inform your instructor and try as much as possible to catch up with all the class work that you missed during your absence. Next make sure you are attentive in class and take all lecture notes as much as you can, If you miss on any point please do ask your instructor as they are always ready and willing to help and support you achieve your career goals. Next make sure you do all home work and assignments given by your instructor as this contributes to most of the final grade. Incase you fail in any you seek for tutoring services. Most colleges offer this for free to all their students and they have very professional tutors. Finally make sure you stick to your career objective and don’t get waived away by friends or college life style.

There are a few things I did right and wrong for college. First off, do not be afraid to take a lot of your personal belongings from home. Your dorm room is not a box! You will have plenty of room for your belongings, and you will probably end up bringing them later. Plus, having your personal belongings sure makes being away from home in a dorm a lot more comfortable. Second, go crazy making friends. Making friends makes the change from home to college a lot easier. You will need people to talk to who feel the same. There is a 99% chance the people you see are new to the school. Saying hi just may make a new and helpful friend. Do not look down at the sidewalk just because you walk past someone new. Finally, go to school for what you want and love. Do not be talked out of persuing the degree of your dreams just because it does not have the same income as another. Do consider future finances but do not let them make the decision. If you do not love your degree what makes you thing you will love your future job? Exactlly!

I would tell myself to SLOW DOWN. I had so many big plans and was so ready to rush through my college years. My plans have changed a lot and I have learned that it's better to be open and optomistic about your future. I have rather enjoyed to journey and I remember thinking as soon as I started that I wanted to be done. Since I have been more open-minded, and more laid back I actually have done better in school as far as grades. The stress can be determential to your health and your GPA, but it took me a few semesters to realize that college isn't a blow off like highschool was, but it didn't mean having a heartattack everytime I scored lower then expected. My advice to incoming college freshman is this: You get exactly what you put into college. Those partiers will have a blast with their friends, but their grades will suffer. The study-a-holics will not enjoy their college years and their grades may not reflect the study time put in. It is important to take your classes seriously, but with balanced social life.

As a senior at a texas high school I was stressed about all aspects of college, it was the fear of the unknown. My sister attended the University of Texas back in 2002, since then much of the college scene has changed and my mother was too wrapped up as a single mother and those duties that follow that title to be of much help. Fanacial aid, the application process, ACT, SAT and the list goes on, of the many items that need to be taken care of before school could start, I was going insane. If I could go back and talk to myself last year I would tell myself and others to relax, that everything will work out, staying calm and relaxed is more important to ensure a high quality of life than to be a stressed out useless student. As of now everything has gone smooth, it is almost as my college experience was ment to be (something I did not believe this time last year). I am truly blessed with the turn out of my college endeavors, I have learned that it always pays to stay optimistic about the future.

I would tell myself to get prepared for the most awesome experience I'll ever have in my life. College is about finding yourself and taking on new chances, all while managing a superior GPA and having a satisfying social life. Get ready to study loads and loads of information all for one big test, and then recharging for the next one in two weeks. It's wild and crazy all at the same time, but yet, you surprise yourself by passing that big test with flying colors anyway. When it comes to school and the classes that prepare you, I would make an emphasis that Texas A&M University's academics are no joke. That fro yo date with the cute guy from your chemistry class can wait because if you put it off and procrastinate, it will take a toll on you. One bad grade can have you worrying for days and stressing out about it when that low mark could have been avoided. Work hard and you will be rewarded tremendously and hey, that fro yo date makes for an awesome way to congratulate yourself on your hard work!

College has been on of the best experiences of my life. I never knew that there was a place filled with people who think and feel the same way I do. I found my second home at Texas A&M Galveston. The people love all aspects of the ocean, from the biology, to the engireering, and the business. Everyone is bound together by a love for our oceans. It is this sense of community that has been the best part of my years here. I have learned that no matter how strange you think you are, there are always people out there who think like you do, understand you, and can love you for who you are. I have grown up surrounded by land, only visiting the ocean twice in my life, but I had always loved the beach. My friends thought I crazy, "its just a big lake" they would say, "why do you want to spend you whole life studying water?" I had always grown up thinking I was weird, odd, not normal, but then I came here, and now i'm home. It is a lesson I will carry with my for the rest of my life.

If I had the chance to send some advice to my high school senior self, I'd share quite a mouthful. 1. Stand up for yourself. It's not worth it to take abuse from people who have no right in the world to say you're less than them. 2. The boys in college will, contrary to your experience in high school, be interested in you. You might find out that some of them are scumbags, but hey, it's all part of life. 3. Stop stressing; you'll make yourself sick. You can't change anything you're stressing about. 4. Appreciate the food Mom cooks. Just do it. You'll be living on burnt hamburgers for the next few years. 5. Talk to Gran more, even though it's tiring to answer the same questions over and over. She won't remember you in a year. 6. And finally, you WILL make friends. They'll be the best friends you've ever had, and you'll have so much fun when you're together. So quit worrying and make the most of your senior year. You'll be walking across that stage before you know it.

Futhering your education is a key to life, many people can do it without more schooling but with a broader knowledge this opens the door. Being a pharmacy technician for the last 5 years has really helped me to see that furthering my education in the health field to pursuing a nurse degree will not only benefit my family and myself ,like wise those around me. by pursuing a dream career this can show people that I am determined to exceed in school and set an example to those who look up to me that are still in school. Nothing in life comes easy especially school, there are many trails and test that are put upon you. When looking back, there has been times quiting was an option but with the help of newly made friends and teachers enduring gave me the skills for the work place. By pushing through school and keeping my grades up this has given my respect for my self and those who can manage to make their dreams come true as well.

first i would ask if the student knew what they wanted to study, major in. if the student did not, i would tell them to start off taking the basic classes at a community college. it will save them time and money, and it will give them a small idea of what college life is like. if the student did know what they want to major in, i would advise them to look at many colleges, then pick the ones that they think would feel like home and has opportunities in the city for internships. if a student wanted to become a nurse, i would tell them to pick a college in a town that has hospitals close by. as for making the most of the college experience, the best thing to do is find friends that encourage you to go to class and work hard because those are the friends that will not fail you later in life. they will always be ther for you and will look out for you. friends for life. with those friends, college will be a blast!