Texas A & M University-Galveston

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-Galveston

I have learned a lot in college but the main thing is that all through out life we will have to do things we do not want to do. What I mean by this is that I am an Art majoring studying to be an Art Teacher but I am still required to take all the prerequisite classes such as math and science. Some people believe that these classes are just a waste of time but they way I see it is that our institutions are challenging us to see what we can achieve. These classes are mandatory to see how much motivation we have to succeed in things that we are not interested in. By being a well rounded person with education in all areas enables us to have a better understanding of those things that we truly appreciate. I am excited that all of these general study classes are over with after this year for me but I have definitely learned a life lesson, being well rounded benefits me not those who dread going to class.

Well, when i was a senior, i was already starting to change, so i can really point out what I did wrong. But there are a few things that especially stand out. I would tell my self to stop focusing on the cute brit sitting next to me in English, start turning in work for Math, leave the booze on the counter, there is sure to be plenty in college. But most of all, stop worrying so damn much, I have problems now that dwarf those I had then. I work on them, get them fixed if I can, if I can't, then what's the point in worrying? It won't change anything. Also, i would have told myself to look at the beauty that was around me, even then. whenever I get angry, or frustrated, I always just slow down take a breathe, and let the world slip by as I look at it go. Just for a second, then I'm back in the game, as determined as ever

When reflecting back to when i was a high school senior, knowing what i know now, I would have told myself to start looking at where i wanted to transfer too after community college earlier than i did. I would have told myself to start narrowing my choices down in the beginning so that I could have made a final decision early in my college path. By making that choice earlier rather than later, I would have had an easier time choosing which specific general education classes to take at community college. I would have been able to choose classes that applied to my associate degree and that were transferrable towards my four-year university and my bachelor's. By waiting as long as I did, i risked having to go back and take extra classes as well as noticing classes i did take that were not necessary for my degrees.

What I have learned from my college experience is task and time management. Learning to set aside time for class work studies. Realizing that college work is more in dept and that I have to be selective on which activities I participate in. Knowing when to say no to others and making the right choices. My college experience has also help me to learn how to budget for expenses, understanding the financial commitment for myself and parents. Learning to only purchase thing I need not want. Learning how to finance my education understandng the the credit and loan application process and making sure I make the right decision concerning my borrowing for education. Lastly my college experience has enhance my interpersonal skills, and communicating effectively with professors and room mates.

I advise that parents take an interest in what college their children are considering, however I think parents should let their children have the ultimnate choice and not push them too far. It's the student's decision overall. I advise the students to take heed to their parents advise as well, but make sure to pick a school that is right for them. The student needs to choose a school that focuses on the success and safety of the student. I suggest that students go take a look at local colleges first as well as looking even beyond their state of residence. There is never too much research when choosing a school. I suggest that students look early and never give up when things look bleak. If a school doesn't accept the student I advise the student to just keep trying.

Study hard and take really good notes. Also, work on making new friends. They keep you from getting bored and will help you when you are struggling. To transition better, just be yourself and everything will fall into place. Starting college can be a scary time in life but it is one of those things that you pull through that makes you stronger. Do not expect professors to treat you like fifth graders but like adults. They will not sit there and hand out extra work just for you because you get behind, but if you talk to them, they can recommend supplemental help if you need it. They are not robots set on making life hard. All they do is challenge you and prepare you for the real world which in and of itself is full of challenges to overcome. You can do it!

I would tell myself to go to college so that I will be able to recieve a higher education. Education is a key that will unlock the door to having a successful life. It won't always be easy in college but success does not come without its sacrifices. Next, I would tell myself that you will enjoy this new environment and the freedom that comes with it. There will be new friendships made and activities to attend to like college games. There will be no demands from your professor but only request that you must follow. Your biggest obstacle will be yourself and how much you desire to be successful. Last, I would tell myself to stay focused, have fun, and work hard.

Don't look back. Going out of state to school can give me opportunites that I would never had dreamed of at the schools in my home state. I have gotten hands on experience that I will need in my field, and the professors truely care if I succeed. I am not just a number here, like I would have been at a major university. Don't let other people try and keep you from achieving the dreams you've had since you were little. Follow your dreams, even if that means it will take you to a different state, away from your family and friends. They'll always be there, so follow your heart and make your dreams come true.

College has been so diffrent from high school. The level that professors hold you up to is a bar that high school teachers don't bring you up to. All through high school your teachers say I am getting you ready for college. In college I have learned to work hard to get what I want. If I want an A or a B it's not just showing up to class that gets it. College is a challenge and it makes it exciting and worth all the money. I you never go to college you won't know the understand how hard it really is not to mention you will make a lot less money without a degree.

So far, my college experience has been extremely valuable. I have learned much, and not just inside the classroom. I have learned how to be independant enough to wash my own clothes, buy my own groceries, and even force myself to go to sleep before 3 in the morning! College has also helped me learn how to branch out of my comfort zone enough to make some new friends and learn how to deal with people, such as my suitemate, that I don't really have anything in common with or really any reason to be friends with.