College Station, TX
Texas A & M University-College Station

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas A & M University-College Station

Katie

A&M is definitely a very large campus. I think there are roughly 40,000 students. That may be too big for some people, but it allows everyone to do whatever it is that they're interested in. A&M does not require the freshman to live on campus, because there simply is not enough space to house all the freshmen, but I do strongly suggest that you live on campus for at least a year. It's an amazing experience! College Station is definitely a college town; it's right there in the name! The school was there first, and there are train tracks that run through the campus. The story goes is that College Station got its name because when riding the train, students and visitors sometimes didn't know at which stop to get off. So at the train station, someone took a board and wrote "college" on it, and nailed it above the sign that said "station." And thus College Station was born. So everything in College Station revolves around A&M. The students at A&M have tons and tons of school pride. There are certainly "2 percenters," or people who are uninterested in A&M's tradition and are only involved in the university about 2%. But most Aggies are incredibly proud to be Aggies, and they are very involved in all things A&M. A&M is a place to feel welcome, invited and loved. It's like a big family. There is a comaraderie at A&M like no other school I've ever seen. If I see anyone on the street wearing an Aggie ring, I've made a new friend. Aggies will gladly go out of their way to help another Aggie, and that's one of the main things I love about A&M.

Almost all students at A&M wear the Aggie uniform: An Aggie shirt, blue jeans/shorts, and flip flops. There are always freshmen at the beginning of the year who dress up to go to class, but about halfway through the first semester, they realize that it's really not necessary. There are a fair amount of pajama pants worn to class as well, although moreso in the morning classes. I would caution wearing pajama pants too early in the semester, though: you don't want your professor to think that you're lazy and/or you don't care about the class. Probably 75% of Aggies are from Texas, but there are also students from out of state and international students. "Howdy" is a dwindling tradition at A&M, but still somewhat prevalant. At A&M, when you pass someone on campus, instead of just smiling or nodding to them, we say "Howdy." It's a little thing, but it goes a long way to make people feel welcome on campus.

A lot of freshman classes are huge - 250 students or so. But as you get further in your major, the classes become smaller and the professors learn your name. Even in the huge classes, though, if you make an effort (i.e. meet with your professor during office hours, ask intelligent questions, and work hard) the professors will bend over backwards a lot of times to help. Of course there are some professors who aren't very helpful, but the majority are teaching because they like it, and if you show an interest, they'll meet you half way. Many things vary from class to class, like: Is class participation common? Do you spend time with professors outside of class? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It really depends on the subject matter of the class and on the professor. And the same goes with individual students: Some are really competitive, others aren't. Some don't have to study much, and some spend hours each day studying. The studying also depends on what type of class you're taking. Some students have intellectual discussions outside of class, and others don't

Definitely not! 1) A&M is very strong in Agriculture, but it's also very strong in Engineering, and it has the only veterinary school in Texas. I myself was an English major, and I had friends who majored in Education, Music, Biology, Speech Communication, Architecture... the list goes on and on. A&M offers a wealth of educational opportunities. 2) Yes, the majority of students at A&M are white. But I had good friends who were African American, Asian, Honduran (South America), Egyptian, Saudi Arabian, Mexican... 3) There are certainly people at A&M (at every college, in fact) the like to get drunk instead of go to class and learn. And they flunk out. A&M is by no means a "party school." 4) No, we're not brainwashed and A&M is not a cult. We just love having the opportunity to belong to something like the Aggie Network. It's hard to go to school there and not get drawn into it's history and tradition.

1)That everyone who goes to A&M wants to be a farmer, 2)that we're racist, 3)that we're drunk all the time, and 4)that we're brainwashed or A&M is a cult.

At A&M, football games are a must. But basketball and baseball also draw decent crowds. There's also art exhibits, plays, dance groups, movie showings, intermural sports, dorm events, etc. etc. There are always lots of things to get involved with; not just fraternities/sororities. A&M is not a school where if you want to be social, you to join a fraternity or sorority. There are so many different clubs and organizations to get involved in! Whatever you're interested in, you can probably find a group of other people that like to do that at A&M. Every year, we have Aggie Muster, E-Walk (for juniors), Elephant Walk (for Seniors), Ring Dance, Boot Dance, Fish Camp, Big Event, Replant, Parent's Weekend, etc. Every month (as needed) we have Silver Taps to honor current Aggies who have passed away in the previous month. And every week (in the fall) we have Yell Practice. The biggest night for partying at A&M is Thursday night. Kind of strange, right?

The best thing about Texas A&M is the long standing tradition. Everyone is so friendly and you never feel like you're at a huge school, well, except on game days. The town is built around the college, but I personally love the feel of the town. There's everything you need, but not in a big city. I come from a small town myself and I've never felt overwhelmed going to a school with 46,000 students. The school pride at Texas A&M is amazing, there is so much spirit. I'll never forget my first, well, my first anything at A&M.

There are clubs all over campus representing anything and everything you could be interested in. I think there is a place for everyone. Most students wear comfortable clothes to class. I, myself, am a big fan of T-shirts. I'd students are predominately right.

Most people say we are more conservative than other college campuses.

I would say it's a more conservative school. But that's not the only outlook represented on campus.

Beginning classes are very large, but, if you make an effort to get to know a professor, they'll make the same effort towards you. In my experience, science classes are a killer. The most unique class I've taken is History of Rock Music, it was very entertaining. I feel the education requirements at Texas A&M are very reasonable and provide you to have another interest other than your major. I think the education at the university is geared toward getting a job AND learning for its own sake.

Dorms are a great way to get to know people, especially by leaving the doors open. My first year, I stayed in a dorm and the door was open pretty much all the time. Athletic events are extremely popular, and theater is provided through a club called OPAS that brings acts to Rudder Auditorium. I met my closest friends through Fish Camp and and introductory Biochemistry class. If I'm awake on a Tuesday night, I am probably studying. Big party night is Thursday. Sororities and Fraternities aren't that important on campus.

Okay so if u dont like big schools then dont come here!! haha the classes are huge! A&M has an amazing since of school spirit so if you love football games and love to be proud of your school A&M is for you!!! this school is amazing and it is somewhat like a disease that once you cantch you dont want it to go away!! College station is soooo much fun!!

VERY WELCOMING FOR ANYONE!!! I can't even tell you how much of a variety of people go here!! its unbelievable!! Everyone is welcome and this school is AMAZING PLEASE COME!!

COME HERE ITS AWESOME!!!GIG EM!!

People part thursday night big time!!!! friday night a little and usually saturday night is a chill night... i lived in an off campus dorm called the callaway house which is awesome if you are not into the yucky dorms! lol frats and sororities are semi big here but not a must...its all about what u want

that we are all hicks and a cult haha

Okay so classes are big so i would suggest using pickaprof.com to find the easiest prof your first year because you dont want to be in a class that is hard...i made that mistake. academics are awesome and you feel like ur getting a very good education!!

Amie

The best thing about A&M is probably the fact that we have great traditions that include Silver Taps (a memorial service held every month for the student body and family of any students that have passed away during the month), Muster (a memorial service held where ever there are two or more aggies that remeber all former students who have passed on during the year), standing at football games (to represent the 12th man and his spirit), midnight yell and the midnight mugging (this is where the whole students gather in Kyle field at midnight to the aggie yells and then kiss their dates), and fish camp (where freshmen can learn all of the traditons and make friends before they go to school. When people ask me where I go to school I tell them with pride that I attend texas A&M University.

The student body is pretty amazing. It is very friendly (of course you do have some people who are rude but it is very uncommon). the only way that someone would feel out of place here would be if they just didn't want to be there.

Over all I love this school...it is so much more in every way than that t-sipping school down the road in Austin

The academics of A&M are generally amazing. However I have found that most profs that teach freshman and sophmore classes really don't care about their students education. the smaller classes I have found teachers that care more and are willing to help students more.

This is not true. Most students come from regular towns and have not even stepped foot on a farm. A&M offers almost every major a person could want to be.

there are all sorts of things for students to do on campus with the school and then there is northgate across from the north side of campus and consists of many resurants and night clubs for students over the age of 18.

The most common stereotype is that we are all redneck hicks that just came off the farm to learn how to be a farmer.

Aliesha

I love Texas A&M because it's a HUGE campus in such a small town. Everyone gets to know everybody. It is the perfect college town. I came from a city of about 200,000 people and I thought that was small. Coming to College Station, I realize that was highly inaccurate, but A&M still feels so big to me. I love it.

A&M's student body is so laid back. Coming from a school where I would wake up an hour and a half early to get ready for school, I was in for a wake up call when I learned that people literally roll out of bed and go to class; and I quickly jumped on acquiring that habit. I love it so much. It's so casual and care free here.

We are all farming majors. We're dumb. All we care about is Agriculture.

Academics here are fairly rigourous. I can't believe how easy I had it in highschool. But that's what you get when you come to such a prestigious school, such as this university. Professors truly care about your education, but you have to show them that you care too. Professors know your name if you take the time to get to know them on a personal level in their office hours. Students are highly competitive here. It's what makes academics such a huge deal here

Kristen

Texas A&M is a very unique place. There is no place like it on earth. I am from big city Dallas, and coming to College Station was a bit of a culture shock for me, but in a good way. Texas A&M has such a warm and friendly atmosphere. The spirit and traditions are what separates Texas A&M from any other university. There are so many aspects to campus and to A&M's history that make Texas A&M more than just a college. A&M becomes a home. I could go on all day about Texas A&M, but you cannot comprehend it until you see and feel the Aggie Spirit. "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it."

Texas A&M is viewed as a campus full of closed minded, white, Southern Baptist, farmers. While a large portion of campus is Caucasian, diversity on campus has increased so much over the years. Gradually, more and more ethnicities are coming to A&M once they see that the campus is far more accepting than the stereotypes portray. There are many organizations on campus geared towards different religious groups, the GLBT community, different ethnicities and backgrounds, which makes it very easy to find a group and create a solid group of friends.

I am currently a kinesiology major aiming to become a physical therapist. This particular department has been very helpful in assisting me in achieving my goals and setting a plan for my future. Core classes have been my least favorite because they are very impersonal. There are more than 300 people in most of the core science or math classes because almost everyone has to take them. In these classes, professors do not get the opportunity to meet students unless the student approaches them and maintains contact with them throughout the semester. Once you get into upper level classes that are more major specific, the classes become more interactive, and the professors are more likely to remember your name and face. My favorite class so far has been a kinesiology class required for all kinesiology majors. It was not a regular PE class as most would think. It combined every aspect of physical fitness (cardio, stength, flexibility, agility, etc), and it contained a solid lecture base as well. This class forced me to push myself to reach my goals. Getting an A in that class is very difficult because the professor wants to you work towards improvement throughout the semester. It was great reflecting on my progress at the end of the semester. I accomplished things I never thought I could do. Although I did not get an A (granted I was very close), I still felt like I had accomplished so much more than just earning a grade. It seems like most professors at A&M want you to succeed, and they want you to improve. Most of my classes have been based on improving throughout the semester. The professors want you to leave your college career feeling ready for the real world, and that is exactly what they do.

There is so much to do within College Station. With over 800 organizations on campus, it's very easy to get plugged in and find your niche. Most organizations will host socials or put together intramural teams, so there is always something to do within an organization. During football season, going to Fightin' Texas Aggie football games is a must. Granted, it's usually really hot outside, the games are so much fun. Even if you only go to one football game, it's an experience you do want to miss.

Not at all! There is such a wide variety on campus. I have met so many different people with so many backgrounds, beliefs, views, and outlooks on life. No one person is alike. The campus is very inclusive, in my opinion. The university has been working very hard to break the stereotype that all Aggies are closed-minded.

The main stereotypes are that all Aggies are closed-minded, extremely conservative, white, Southern Baptist farmers.

This town is not really big enough for students looking for things to do all the time. There is a movie theatre and Northgate, the bar district; but there isn't much else.

Most students who come to A&M are from Texas. However, there are lots of students from other states as well as a large international student population. This just makes for more diversity!!

I think people think we are all country or ride horses to school every day. But that is just not the case!!

Football and basketball run this campus. They are the sports that get students pumped up. There are lots of parties of various sorts, from apartment parties, northgate parties to tailgate parties!

The english department is one of the smallest on campus. There are only about 600 students as english majors, but this way we all get to know each other. It is like a close knit family of sorts!

Ryan

The best thing about TAMU is the environment, everyone is like family. Perfect sized town, not too small, but not a huge city. School pride is definitely one of the biggest things that surround TAMU.

The most popular activities are definitely sports, with football being a the top of the list. From what I hear, one of the most moving things to witness is Muster, in which the student body honors the students/former students that have passed away during the year. I plan on attending the next time this is held.

AJ

The best thing about TAMU is the faculty's willingness to help each student to succeed. That said, the freshman and sophomore core curriculum classes are terribly overcrowded and lack the personal attention of the more intimate major-specific courses (take the basics at Blinn). The size of the school seems right, but the commute from one side of campus to the other during class changes is a bear. People around Texas all know about TAMU and have a generally favorable opinion of it, despite the recent lack luster performances of the once proud football team. I live off campus and spend most of my time around the architecture building when I come for classes. The TAMU administration is far too big to be personal. The most offensive part of the administration is "transportation services" who ineptly operate the parking and bus systems while charging an astronomical fee for the poor service. The biggest controversy on campus is the situation with the bonfire. The school has great pride but it has certainly dropped considerably since the bonfire left campus and effectively tore the heart out of the school. Being a veteran, the most unusual thing about TAMU to me is the Corps of Cadets. It's an odd bunch of mostly really juvenile brats who want to play soldier and think that hazing and stupid rituals are what make up the real military. I will never forget the time the corps' cavalry unit took a shovel full of horse manure and flung it over the t.u. band while marching to the stadium. The most frequent student complaints are over the constantly rising cost of tuition, fees, and books.

The campus is overwhelmingly white, Anglo, and protestant, and they are sure to remind you of that as often as the situation allows. I have noticed a trend toward diversity in the past few years and the idea seems to be catching on. The Gay and Lesbian crowd is still the most ostracized and put down, but it's getting better. Sadly, the wardrobe of most of the student body can be found in abercrombie and at hollister. Few seem to have the ability to choose their own style or resist the peer pressure to dress just like the person next to them. Students are very clique-oriented and seldom take the time to hang out with anyone who doesn't think, dress, and go to church the way they themselves do. Usually the groups are very unmixed, such as the corps of cadets, the racial groups, and such. There are a lot of rich white kids at the school, but there are also a growing number of minorities. Most of the students are politically active, but I don't think they know how to form their own opinions. Most seem to be conservative republicans, probably because their parents are. I haven't heard much talk about future financial successes.

I seem more cynical than I feel. I love the school and am glad to be here.

Typically white, conservative, and very closed minded.

Not far from it, but there are actually some around the place who think before they speak or write. All in all, the people around TAMU are very nice until they find out you think for yourself.

The professors in smaller classes know your name, but in the big classes, forget it. My most favorite class has been regarding historic preservation in architecture. My least favorite was chemistry where I was just a face in a crowd of several hundred. Studying depends on the course. Some are spoon-fed, while others are certainly not. Most are not. Class participation is not as common as I'd like, and I feel like there is a stupid high school mentality that ostracizes those who do participate and relegates them to nerddom. There are some intellectual conversations outside of class but they often degenerate into talk of religion or getting drunk. I don't feel a strong competitive vibe from any of my classmates, but really more of an attitude of teamwork. The most unique class I've taken was again, the one about historic preservation in architecture. My major is Construction Science in the Department of Architecture. There have only been a couple of profs who have offered their free time to their students. The academic requirements at TAMU are straight forward and obtainable. I feel that my education is an overview of what's needed to get and keep a job. The real learning doesn't start until grad school.

Seems like the groups I hear the most about are religious organizations. I have been active with groups aimed at diversity education. I have never lived in a dorm. Athletic events are hugely popular, as are guest speakers and theater events. The dating scene seems to be alive and well. I met most of my closest friends at local bars. At 2am on a tuesday all the bars are just shutting down, but most save their partying for thursday through saturday. There are way too many traditions to list. People party often as they do at most schools. Frats and sororities mostly suck and are a haven for those who have to buy their friends. Last weekend I relaxed and had some friends over for dinner. This town has plenty to do that doesn't involve drinking, but having a drink in this town is always cheap and entertaining. I live off campus and prefer to keep it that way. I'm a 30 year old and socialize with people my own age for the most part.

Texas A & M University-College Station administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.