College Station, TX
Texas A & M University-College Station

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas A & M University-College Station

Kristen

Texas A&M is a very unique place. There is no place like it on earth. I am from big city Dallas, and coming to College Station was a bit of a culture shock for me, but in a good way. Texas A&M has such a warm and friendly atmosphere. The spirit and traditions are what separates Texas A&M from any other university. There are so many aspects to campus and to A&M's history that make Texas A&M more than just a college. A&M becomes a home. I could go on all day about Texas A&M, but you cannot comprehend it until you see and feel the Aggie Spirit. "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it."

Texas A&M is viewed as a campus full of closed minded, white, Southern Baptist, farmers. While a large portion of campus is Caucasian, diversity on campus has increased so much over the years. Gradually, more and more ethnicities are coming to A&M once they see that the campus is far more accepting than the stereotypes portray. There are many organizations on campus geared towards different religious groups, the GLBT community, different ethnicities and backgrounds, which makes it very easy to find a group and create a solid group of friends.

I am currently a kinesiology major aiming to become a physical therapist. This particular department has been very helpful in assisting me in achieving my goals and setting a plan for my future. Core classes have been my least favorite because they are very impersonal. There are more than 300 people in most of the core science or math classes because almost everyone has to take them. In these classes, professors do not get the opportunity to meet students unless the student approaches them and maintains contact with them throughout the semester. Once you get into upper level classes that are more major specific, the classes become more interactive, and the professors are more likely to remember your name and face. My favorite class so far has been a kinesiology class required for all kinesiology majors. It was not a regular PE class as most would think. It combined every aspect of physical fitness (cardio, stength, flexibility, agility, etc), and it contained a solid lecture base as well. This class forced me to push myself to reach my goals. Getting an A in that class is very difficult because the professor wants to you work towards improvement throughout the semester. It was great reflecting on my progress at the end of the semester. I accomplished things I never thought I could do. Although I did not get an A (granted I was very close), I still felt like I had accomplished so much more than just earning a grade. It seems like most professors at A&M want you to succeed, and they want you to improve. Most of my classes have been based on improving throughout the semester. The professors want you to leave your college career feeling ready for the real world, and that is exactly what they do.

There is so much to do within College Station. With over 800 organizations on campus, it's very easy to get plugged in and find your niche. Most organizations will host socials or put together intramural teams, so there is always something to do within an organization. During football season, going to Fightin' Texas Aggie football games is a must. Granted, it's usually really hot outside, the games are so much fun. Even if you only go to one football game, it's an experience you do want to miss.

Not at all! There is such a wide variety on campus. I have met so many different people with so many backgrounds, beliefs, views, and outlooks on life. No one person is alike. The campus is very inclusive, in my opinion. The university has been working very hard to break the stereotype that all Aggies are closed-minded.

The main stereotypes are that all Aggies are closed-minded, extremely conservative, white, Southern Baptist farmers.

This town is not really big enough for students looking for things to do all the time. There is a movie theatre and Northgate, the bar district; but there isn't much else.

Most students who come to A&M are from Texas. However, there are lots of students from other states as well as a large international student population. This just makes for more diversity!!

I think people think we are all country or ride horses to school every day. But that is just not the case!!

Football and basketball run this campus. They are the sports that get students pumped up. There are lots of parties of various sorts, from apartment parties, northgate parties to tailgate parties!

The english department is one of the smallest on campus. There are only about 600 students as english majors, but this way we all get to know each other. It is like a close knit family of sorts!

Ryan

The best thing about TAMU is the environment, everyone is like family. Perfect sized town, not too small, but not a huge city. School pride is definitely one of the biggest things that surround TAMU.

The most popular activities are definitely sports, with football being a the top of the list. From what I hear, one of the most moving things to witness is Muster, in which the student body honors the students/former students that have passed away during the year. I plan on attending the next time this is held.

AJ

The best thing about TAMU is the faculty's willingness to help each student to succeed. That said, the freshman and sophomore core curriculum classes are terribly overcrowded and lack the personal attention of the more intimate major-specific courses (take the basics at Blinn). The size of the school seems right, but the commute from one side of campus to the other during class changes is a bear. People around Texas all know about TAMU and have a generally favorable opinion of it, despite the recent lack luster performances of the once proud football team. I live off campus and spend most of my time around the architecture building when I come for classes. The TAMU administration is far too big to be personal. The most offensive part of the administration is "transportation services" who ineptly operate the parking and bus systems while charging an astronomical fee for the poor service. The biggest controversy on campus is the situation with the bonfire. The school has great pride but it has certainly dropped considerably since the bonfire left campus and effectively tore the heart out of the school. Being a veteran, the most unusual thing about TAMU to me is the Corps of Cadets. It's an odd bunch of mostly really juvenile brats who want to play soldier and think that hazing and stupid rituals are what make up the real military. I will never forget the time the corps' cavalry unit took a shovel full of horse manure and flung it over the t.u. band while marching to the stadium. The most frequent student complaints are over the constantly rising cost of tuition, fees, and books.

The campus is overwhelmingly white, Anglo, and protestant, and they are sure to remind you of that as often as the situation allows. I have noticed a trend toward diversity in the past few years and the idea seems to be catching on. The Gay and Lesbian crowd is still the most ostracized and put down, but it's getting better. Sadly, the wardrobe of most of the student body can be found in abercrombie and at hollister. Few seem to have the ability to choose their own style or resist the peer pressure to dress just like the person next to them. Students are very clique-oriented and seldom take the time to hang out with anyone who doesn't think, dress, and go to church the way they themselves do. Usually the groups are very unmixed, such as the corps of cadets, the racial groups, and such. There are a lot of rich white kids at the school, but there are also a growing number of minorities. Most of the students are politically active, but I don't think they know how to form their own opinions. Most seem to be conservative republicans, probably because their parents are. I haven't heard much talk about future financial successes.

I seem more cynical than I feel. I love the school and am glad to be here.

Typically white, conservative, and very closed minded.

Not far from it, but there are actually some around the place who think before they speak or write. All in all, the people around TAMU are very nice until they find out you think for yourself.

The professors in smaller classes know your name, but in the big classes, forget it. My most favorite class has been regarding historic preservation in architecture. My least favorite was chemistry where I was just a face in a crowd of several hundred. Studying depends on the course. Some are spoon-fed, while others are certainly not. Most are not. Class participation is not as common as I'd like, and I feel like there is a stupid high school mentality that ostracizes those who do participate and relegates them to nerddom. There are some intellectual conversations outside of class but they often degenerate into talk of religion or getting drunk. I don't feel a strong competitive vibe from any of my classmates, but really more of an attitude of teamwork. The most unique class I've taken was again, the one about historic preservation in architecture. My major is Construction Science in the Department of Architecture. There have only been a couple of profs who have offered their free time to their students. The academic requirements at TAMU are straight forward and obtainable. I feel that my education is an overview of what's needed to get and keep a job. The real learning doesn't start until grad school.

Seems like the groups I hear the most about are religious organizations. I have been active with groups aimed at diversity education. I have never lived in a dorm. Athletic events are hugely popular, as are guest speakers and theater events. The dating scene seems to be alive and well. I met most of my closest friends at local bars. At 2am on a tuesday all the bars are just shutting down, but most save their partying for thursday through saturday. There are way too many traditions to list. People party often as they do at most schools. Frats and sororities mostly suck and are a haven for those who have to buy their friends. Last weekend I relaxed and had some friends over for dinner. This town has plenty to do that doesn't involve drinking, but having a drink in this town is always cheap and entertaining. I live off campus and prefer to keep it that way. I'm a 30 year old and socialize with people my own age for the most part.

ross

best thing - close to houston, dallas, and austin. change - the corps, no one takes it seriously, ppl. who can't get in because of shitty grades in high school use the corp to get accepted to A&M. school size - i love west campus, tons of hot women. tell- they usually make fun of me, but that's because our school is the greatest and they're jealous. campus - wehner or the wcl. college town - it used to be before the banned drinking on ng, biggest mistake this town has ever made, it killed the awesome environment on ng. controversy - the new security system put in place after vtech, ppl. are pissed it isn't running right. pride - go to a football game, look at the student section, then ask if we have pride. unusual - town is so conservative, in a college town; no drinking on ng, one strip club, one smoke shop, no clubs besides, the few intertwined with bars on northgate. we need more of a night life. experience - running through northgate in my underwear with shaved legs after losing a bet. complaints - being so mediocre at football, we want another championship besides 1939.

sorry, got tired of writing so i didn't answer the other questions.

we all are hicks, we are all ag majors, we will always be second to t.u., some how tech students think their school is of equal educational value (it isn't tech is for dumbasses who couldn't get into a decent school, so it was either tech or texas state), we are the most mediocre football team (not a stereotype)

Name - in my upper levels they do. favorite - 2 of them, hort 201 with reed, greatest prof ever, and mgmt 466 with carr, sarcastic and awesome. least - any polisci class, so boring. study - you can never find a spot to park at wcl, so i guess a lot. participation - some students talk too much. intellectual - my friends do; talk about politics, business, stocks, classes, also video games. competitive - very.

the last one about football, and in most years the second to t.u. is accurate.

Torry

the best thing is the Aggie Spirit, it's what brings us together no matter what. It's a big school that feels small. No reaction. In the business school, and the MSC. College town for sure. We just had a major change in the administration with a new president, I'm not sure how to judge them yet. A recent controversy was the new president, it's a female minority, a first for both at TAMU. There is a TON of school pride. How much school pride most of us have is unusual. Fish Camp. Not enough parking, tuition, the college town feeding off college student, taking advantage of them.

Not much experience at all. Any of those might feel out of place. Most students wear whatever they want to class, ranging from business suits to pajama pants. I think there is decent interaction among different groups, but not a lot. Most students are from Texas. Middle and upper-middle class families. Most are pretty political aware, but not to the extent of protesting. Predominately right. Yes, fininances are important.

Conservatives, farmers, rednecks, intolerant, rural, dumb,

not generally, a few bad apples tend to spoil the bunch

Some do, most dont. Favorite class was American Military History. Least favorite was Finance. I rarely study, most put in good hours. Not really. Depends on who you're talking to. Most students are fairly competitive. I do not spend much time with professors outside of class, but i have before. I feel for the size school we are, the requirements are good, but they're not great. The education is geared toward getting a job, it's pushed a lot.

Fish Camp is very popular, as is Student Government, and Carpool. Class Councils puts on class-specific activities for the student body, such as Elephant Walk and Ring Dance. Athletic events are very popular, especiall football. Theatre and guest speakers are attended, but also by community members as well. I met my closest friends through organizations we shared. Bonfire used to be an important annual tradition, but no longer. Partying is very widespread, with most of the student body participating. Greek life is present and thriving, but by no means defines the student body. last weekend I went to the bars, saw a couple concerts. There are non-alcoholic activities, but it's been forever since I've participated. I live off campus, and it's where most of the fun happens.

Alex

i love how much of i feel like we are a big family here at a&m. i think the school is just right, im used to big schools. people think a&m is a good school and react in a good way when i tell them i go here. i usually just go to class so it depends on where my class is where i spend most of my time. college station is a great college town. theres tons of school pride here and i will always remember the football games. administration is great!

no, maybe that we follow traditions

My major professors know my name and maybe some others depending on the size of the class. my favorite class would be in poultry class and least favorite is either stat or genetics. i study a few hours a week. class participation really depends on the professor. i would think that we are all competitive but we are always willing to help too. poultry science is the best and the profs are great. i do spend time outside of class with the profs.

that we are all hicks and follow too many traditions.

Lex

I like the availabilty of being close to home, If I could change it there would be a public stage in between sebisa and mcinnis where I could play with a band. Its fine as far as size goes. They make aggie jokes which I don't mind because I'm transferring anyways. I spend most of my time in my dorm studying. I have no idea what that question means. I guess college station is a college town... after all the name is College Station. The administration is great, and everything is positive. I have no idea what the controversy on campus is because everything is so disconnected. Its too large to be a community and too small to be its own nation. I guess my friends and I have no real controversy to answer your question. There is tons of school pride (rediculous amounts). Its kind of a granfalloon. I wouldn't know if something is unusual, this is the only college I've ever been to. I guess the corps is interesting. I was in it last semester; its like its own sociological environment. I'll always remember being in the corps. I have no idea what the most frequent complaints are.

Almost everyone is white (I'd estimate 80%) so there's not any racial tension visible to me. I did meet a very beautiful Turkish girl today though. Probably any student that isn't a white conservative would feel out of place. Most students wear jeans and a t shirt. I dress formally every class because its helps me think. It seems that most students are from Texas. I have no idea what the financial backgrounds are but because they are white I'd assume middle class. They are politically active and aware (at least the ones I argue with are). They seem predominately left. I've never heard people talk about how much they'll earn.

I'M A MOSQUITO!!!! AND A BEETLE!!!

Well mostly not but like most stereotypes to a degree they are. Its better than the alternative, ultra liberal.

Its impossible to determine popularity in such a large scale place... I guess Hurricane Harry's is as close to a popular place as you can get. I love judo. Its where we can beat the crap out of each other and not get mad. Students don't leave doors open and crime is disproportionately low (to an extreme). Athletic events are very popular as well as guest speakers and theatre. I would not be the person to go to for dating advice. I was cheated on and then dumped with my last and only real girlfriend. That was four years ago. I met my closest friends before I came to A&M. If I'm awake at 2 on tuesday I'm wondering why the hell I'm not in bed! Please don't ask about traditions, there is so much stuff here its rediculous. I think people party every night by getting drunk. The importance of a frat or soroity are important to those in them and that's about it. Last weekend I canoed down the Navasota River. My friends and I can rock out! Off campus is where I do pretty much everything.

utlra conservative. Radical and unfeeling

Yes they know my name; I'm loud and opinionated. Sociology is great, but I don't like math because the prof can't speak english. I don't know what other studnents do because almost all I do is study until six when I go out with friends. I go to every class because I feel like if I'm not diligent now I never will be. My friends and I talk about everything from politics to sociology to what's for dinner. Its not small enough to be competitive. We don't know anyone to compete against. The most unique class I've taken was Air Force leadership lab. Business is an interesting department, but I want to switch my major because its not a marketable skill. I don't spend time with professors out of class. I have no other school to compare its academic requirement to so I cannot tell you if it is fair. That is a very good question. As a lower classmen its more for learning for the sake of learning. It depends on the class I guess.

Roxanna

The best thing about A&M is the family atmosphere and the friends you take away from the experience, as well as your education. One thing I would change: NOTHING. Size: just right. A&M has the benefits of a large college (funding, athletic events, diversity) with the feel of a smaller school. People are either in awe of the fact that I went to A&M or turned off by it. I suppose that all institutions elicit those reactions. Most of my on campus time was spent at the MSC, the REC or hanging with friends in a variety of other places. College Station is definitely a college town. Things stay open later and a large majority of the town's events cater toward students. A&M's administration is going through lots of changes and difficult decisions. I know that they will make the best decisions possible for the students involved. Biggest recent controversy on campus: I don't know because I have not been there for a while. School pride? I don't think there is a school in the country that has more pride HONESTLY. Unusual about TAMU? How nice people are. The student extra curricular activities are so numerous, the traditions One experience I will always remember: Ring Day Student Complaint: There is always a complaint about how our athletic teams are doing.

I knew people at A&M from every walk of life. I liked them all. I do think GLBT students might feel out of place at such a conservative school. However, many of my friends who fall into this group were very happy and comfortable. Students wear a variety of things: shorts and tshirts in the summer, pajamas on exam days, jeans, business clothes if they had a function to attend. Most often students were casual. Different types of students interact. Of course, everyone has their clique or social group but I wasn't afraid to talk to someone who was different than I. Four tables of students in the dining hall: One is an all-male table. All of them live in the same dorm. These dorm dinners are very popular. The second one has corps guys and their friends. The third has a fish camp discussion group eating together. Finally the fourth table is a mix of random people, just a group of friends, mixed ethnicities. Most TAMU students come from the major cities in Texas or the small towns in Texas. There are some from out of state and the US. The financial backgrounds are varied. However, I think the majority of people at A&M are middle class to upper middle class. Yes, there are politically active students. Mostly conservative but there is a very strong liberal student group as well. Yes, people talk about how much they will earn. However, most people talk about going to grad or professional schools first.

Not at all. Although some people are close minded, those views can be found on any college campus. Most of the students at A&M are very welcoming, open-minded and certainly major in things besides Ag. Additionally, as far as the cult goes, I think that its the strong sense of family that Aggies have that makes them seem cultist.

Many of my professors did know my name. I made the effort to get to know many of them. Fave class: Theories of Persuasion (Dr. Quick) He was a fantastic guy. So easy-going and a great teacher, made it interesting. Least Fave Class: a management class I was required to take (Dr. Buenger was the prof). She was a horrible professor, picked favorites, honestly I dreaded that class. Class participation is pretty common in smaller classes (15-50) but classes that are over 300 people, its definitely harder. People still discuss things, though, and contribute. Sometimes there are intellectual conversations outside of class. Sometimes not. Most students are competitive but not to the point of rudeness. I think they just want to succeed. Most would feel great about others succeeding too. Most unique class: Bible as Literature. It was so much discussion and open-minded people. It was really great. My major: Marketing. Best major on campus. The classes were great. The professors were fantastic. My two minors were also great. English Dept and Communication Dept were great. I spent time with professors by whom I was employed. I also would see them at cultural events or university functions. One on one time was more between grad students and professors. I think the Academic Requirements are good. There is a variety in the core curriculum classes. I also like that degree plans are becoming more personal. The Aggie Network is how one gets a job. However, I think learning (in and out of the classroom) is so important. A&M is a great place to get both kinds of learning.

Popular organizations: Fish Camp, FLOs (Freshman Leadership Organizations), MSC, Greek, Intramural teams, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Women's Soccer, Women's Softball, Big Event Involved with Big Event which is the largest one day student run service project in the nation. It was about 90 students working together to get the event organized for about 10000 participants. Some people leave their doors open in the dorms. However, my dorm was a balcony so people didn't do that so much. However, everyone in the dorms was very friendly. Athletic Events: VERY popular, had to wait in line to get tickets and to get in. Guest speakers: the bigger the speaker, the more popular Theater: popular, more popular with the community than with students because ticket prices were high Dating scene: Most people met through organizations, classes or school related activities. Most people at A&M say they want to marry an Aggie. A lot of people get engaged. A lot of fun bars around so some dating started there. I met my closest friends through student organizations. I am either studying, hanging out with friends, watching a movie or just getting home from a bar. SO many traditions: football games and 12th man, aggie ring, muster, silver tapps (every month) People party a lot at A&M. However, I think that those who party too much see a significant decrease in their grades. It's a balance. Frats and sororities are not as big at A&M as they are at other schools. However, Greek life is taking hold more and more. On a Saturday night you can play putt putt, go to the movies, shop, hang with friends, on-campus sporting events, sleep, study, work out, go to church if you don't want to drink. Off Campus there are tons of bars, restaurants, parks, concerts.

cult, close-minded, hicks, only majors are ag majors

Texas A & M University-College Station administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.