Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

There are multiple groups on campus that are racially, religiously or socio-economically oriented, ranging from that of the ethnic orientation, like the Latina Aggies, to the dominantly Republican, or the Christian based student organizations. The campus is primarily white, however, and anyone else can pretty much count on being a minority at TAMU. If there were four main tables dividing a dining hall of TAMU students, black athletes might occupy one, Greek fraternity and sorority members another, "redneck" or "hick" students a third, and nerdy Asian engineer or biology majors a fourth, thought many of these groups can be found overlapping in their social stereotypes. A sorority girl might be pre-med, or an athlete might be studying something agriculturally based. Most students wear comfortable clothes to classes; jeans and sperry's, nike running shorts and running shoes, or shorts and flip flops, coordinated with t-shirts, tank tops, and sweatshirts. Most TAMU students seem to be from the Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth area, though the student body has a great mix of Texans, ranging from far East Texas to the obselete Northern regions, along with out of staters and a handful of international students. Many students are political aware and active. It's common to see the sidewalk chalked with support for presidential candidates, or the MSC taken over with student groups promoting for a specific person or cause. Most students seem to originate from the middle or middle-upper class, and future salaries are a topic of discussion near graduation, but not something that comes up in everyday conversation.

Most students wear a t-shirt and jeans or shorts to class. Some people roll out of bed and come to class and it is not a big deal. This was great for me, as I don't particularly think it is necessary to dress up to go to class. Of course a few people did and that was fine, but I was comfortable :) Most students are from somewhere in Texas. There are of course out of state people, even people from other countries, but they make up a small percentage. As I said before, most students are conservative/republicans. Different types of students do interact. There is the Corps of Cadets, the "keepers of the spirit" who have been the center of tradition since the beginning of the school. A military-based student organization. The Greeks, the people that are involved with student run organizations such as Fish Camp (a 3 day camp for freshmen to get a sneak peek at the traditions and spirit of Aggieland), student government, and so many more. Most people are usually involved in more than one thing. Let's just say if their activities section on Faceboook includes more than like 5 student organizations it's not an uncommon thing. OR you can do nothing and that's alright too! The majority of students at A&M are white. There are some racially and religious diversities at the school, but it is a minority. I do not know who feels out of place at A&M, but I do not think people look differently at different races, religions, or socio-economic groups.

I knew people at A&M from every walk of life. I liked them all. I do think GLBT students might feel out of place at such a conservative school. However, many of my friends who fall into this group were very happy and comfortable. Students wear a variety of things: shorts and tshirts in the summer, pajamas on exam days, jeans, business clothes if they had a function to attend. Most often students were casual. Different types of students interact. Of course, everyone has their clique or social group but I wasn't afraid to talk to someone who was different than I. Four tables of students in the dining hall: One is an all-male table. All of them live in the same dorm. These dorm dinners are very popular. The second one has corps guys and their friends. The third has a fish camp discussion group eating together. Finally the fourth table is a mix of random people, just a group of friends, mixed ethnicities. Most TAMU students come from the major cities in Texas or the small towns in Texas. There are some from out of state and the US. The financial backgrounds are varied. However, I think the majority of people at A&M are middle class to upper middle class. Yes, there are politically active students. Mostly conservative but there is a very strong liberal student group as well. Yes, people talk about how much they will earn. However, most people talk about going to grad or professional schools first.

The campus is overwhelmingly white, Anglo, and protestant, and they are sure to remind you of that as often as the situation allows. I have noticed a trend toward diversity in the past few years and the idea seems to be catching on. The Gay and Lesbian crowd is still the most ostracized and put down, but it's getting better. Sadly, the wardrobe of most of the student body can be found in abercrombie and at hollister. Few seem to have the ability to choose their own style or resist the peer pressure to dress just like the person next to them. Students are very clique-oriented and seldom take the time to hang out with anyone who doesn't think, dress, and go to church the way they themselves do. Usually the groups are very unmixed, such as the corps of cadets, the racial groups, and such. There are a lot of rich white kids at the school, but there are also a growing number of minorities. Most of the students are politically active, but I don't think they know how to form their own opinions. Most seem to be conservative republicans, probably because their parents are. I haven't heard much talk about future financial successes.

The student body on campus is pretty diverse and all walks of life can be observed on campus. The LGBT community is pretty much ignored/pushed aside because of the sterotypes brought onto the campus by one's upbringing. Yet, there is a very large 'down low' gay presence on campus. It should be no surprise that there is a large Republican presence on campus since Pres. H.W. Bush's Presidential Library is here on campus. I feel that no student will feel out of place because of the sheer size and diverseness of cultures. A vast majority of the students here are from Texas and come from a middle income family, but like other colleges, you do have some wealthy attendees as well as those from poor households. Though the campus is very large and spread out over many, many acres, it very secure and protected. There is a large presence of law enforcement on campus. It is not uncommon to see politicians, military officials, and the former president himself walking around campus. The daughter of the governor of Texas attends here as well.

Almost all students at A&M wear the Aggie uniform: An Aggie shirt, blue jeans/shorts, and flip flops. There are always freshmen at the beginning of the year who dress up to go to class, but about halfway through the first semester, they realize that it's really not necessary. There are a fair amount of pajama pants worn to class as well, although moreso in the morning classes. I would caution wearing pajama pants too early in the semester, though: you don't want your professor to think that you're lazy and/or you don't care about the class. Probably 75% of Aggies are from Texas, but there are also students from out of state and international students. "Howdy" is a dwindling tradition at A&M, but still somewhat prevalant. At A&M, when you pass someone on campus, instead of just smiling or nodding to them, we say "Howdy." It's a little thing, but it goes a long way to make people feel welcome on campus.

It is hard to describe the students at Texas A&M because it really depends on what kind of people you want to be around. A&M is big enough where you can stay away from the types of people you don't like and be around the types you do like. If you live on campus, the north side is where most of your "Red Ass" Aggies live. These are the Aggies that are extremely into the traditions of the school and work to put on bonfire every year. The majority of the students are freshman but there is a range of upperclassmen as well. The south side is where most of your sorority and fraternity freshman are living. There are others mixed in, but that is the majority.

Almost everyone is white (I'd estimate 80%) so there's not any racial tension visible to me. I did meet a very beautiful Turkish girl today though. Probably any student that isn't a white conservative would feel out of place. Most students wear jeans and a t shirt. I dress formally every class because its helps me think. It seems that most students are from Texas. I have no idea what the financial backgrounds are but because they are white I'd assume middle class. They are politically active and aware (at least the ones I argue with are). They seem predominately left. I've never heard people talk about how much they'll earn.

A&M is a pretty laid-back and conservative campus. Not that you couldn't find people like yourself, if that doesn't describe you but you will not be in the majority. Everyone dresses in jeans and t-shirts for classes, which I really liked. Most students you will meet are from Texas , either hailing in a small town or a suburb of Dallas, Houston or San Antonio. Selective organizations often strive for diversity so if you make it into one of them, you have a much higher chance of meeting people from backgrounds different than your own.

To be part of a community of students that are all seeking the same degree as I am is an unbelievable experience. You will never meet anybody friendlier than an Aggie for no matter where you are on campus you will always be greeted by a ?Howdy!? The engineering students are no different. They are always willing to help out a troubled classmate when he/she is having a hard time with a class, when the classmate is in financial trouble, and many more instances that makes one appreciate the goodness in the hearts of people.