Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

The traditions that occur at Texas A&M University require attention as well, and it's important that incoming students realize just how unique TAMU is, and how different the college atmosphere is at this university. First and foremost, the "Aggie Spirit" takes some getting used to, and while it's easy to make fun of or difficult to understand when you're new in College Station, it will take hold of 98% of TAMU students, and that initial misunderstanding will be little more than a faint memory. Reveille is our official mascot at TAMU. She is considered to be the first lady of Aggieland, as well as the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets (a Five-Star General). If she sleeps on a Cadet's bed, he has to sleep on the floor, and if she barks during a class, the professor is forced to end the class and reconvene during the following session. The graves of past Reveilles even have their own miniature scoreboard to "watch" during football games. Silver Taps is another important tradition, which occurs on the first Tuesday of every month at TAMU. During Silver Taps, undergraduate and graduate Aggies who have lost their lives during the previous month are honored. Students gather together, all of the lights on campus are extinguished, a 21 gun salute is fired, and a rendition of Silver Taps is played to the North, South, and West (not the East because the sun will not be rising on these Aggies again). Muster is a tradition that occurs on the 21st of April each year, in which Aggies come together and reflect upon their memories of Aggieland. The Aggie Ring is an extremely important traditions to Aggies, for the ring is something that has to be earned, and can't simply be bought. The ring design is the same one used in 1894, which reflects the bond that Aggies have, despite their age differences or personal backgrounds, and each symbol on the ring holds a specific purpose. Rings are usually "dunked" in a 32 ounce pitcher of beer after they have been given to the student (a recent tradtion that began at the Dixie Chicken on Northgate and has caught on and taken over Aggieland); the student must chug the pitcher before finally recieving the ring. Students that don't drink or enjoy alcohol have been known to dunk their ring in other drinks, and bowls of ice cream have even be used to continue this tradition. Many of the students that dunk their rings in beer race to finish, bragging about their ring dunk time to others if its under a minute or so. T-shirts can even be bought at Inspirations or Aggieland Outfitters in the College Station mall that have blank spots to write in a ring dunk time. The senior "Elephant Walk" is another important Aggie tradtion; these students (like dying elephants) wander about campus revisiting landmarks and saying their good-byes. It's easy to see that A&M is lacking cheerleaders, but what many outsiders don't immediately notice is the presence of our yell leaders, who are elected to lead the students during athletic games into "yells" to cheer for our fellow Aggies. Each class of TAMU has a specific yell as well (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors), and it's common to hear a student introduce themselves by saying "Hi mi name is --. I'm a -- major, and a proud member of the fightin' Texas Aggie class of --," followed by their distinctive class yell (yells range from the Freshman AYYYYYY! to the Senior AYYYYY WHOOOP!). Don't be suprised if you're greeted with a "Howdy" on campus, for this is yet another of our many traditions. There is even a "Howdy Ags" student group dedicated to passing on this traditon to incoming students to ensure that it continues.

as an alumni of the environmental design program at Texas A&M, I can say that this degree will get me nowhere in life. It got me zero interviews with architectural design firms. it did get me some interviews for sales jobs at oil companies and teaching companies about software. all of these with salaries less than 25,000 a year. Luckily i got into a Clemson University masters degree program, no thanks to Texas A&M. Clemson actually taught me skills for a real job in my field of work. i regret going here. i would have had the same education and saved money by going to community college before getting my masters at Clemson. If you have to go to school in Texas, go to University of Texas. great school and located in Austin which is the best city in Texas to live in.

I absolutely love my school, and I cannot emphasize that enough. I know that thousands of current students and alumni feel the same way. Texas A&M University is rooted in tradition, and is marked by respect, friendliness, and hospitality. It is a welcoming environment that remembers the past, looks towards the future, and welcomes everyone into the Aggie community. I have several international student friends who have been welcomed to this school, and have gotten to know and love its traditions. Very few people leave Texas A&M without having been impacted by the Aggie spirit of giving service.

Texas A&M University takes great pride in their school and alumni. Corp Cadets are a unique military group that teach you honor, respect, and dedication to yourself , your school and society. Engineering and Agricultural school which are the best in their field. When you graduate from A&M you will become successful in you field of Study. The military recruits heavily for officers at this school. The intesity of the students and facilty is an incredible and unforgetable experience. This will be an incredible and rememerable stage in your life that you will never forget. You will now Gigem!

In comparison to other schools in the United States, Texas A&M University is unique because of many things - beginning with its history. The school began in 1867, allowing only men as Corps of Cadets in its ROTC program. In World War II, its ROTC program provided more men to help fight against the foreign threat for peace. Now the school allows women, along with a diverse student body of different ethnicities, cultures, languages, talents, and skills. Collectively, as Aggies we proudly the honor traditions that reflect a respect for its history and also fallen Aggies who attended A&M.

This school is devoted and well established in tradition. One of our most popular traditions is the 12th Man. The 12th Man tradition relates to all sports fan students. Students at Texas A&M, also known as Aggies, stand up from their seats throughout the entire sports game to support their team players. Because there are eleven players on a football field, the Aggies make up the 12th Man ready to serve and support their team. Standing united through the entire game, the Aggies are ready to serve. Serving is one core value Aggies hold dearly throuhgout campus life.

Texas A&M University is famous for being one of the friendliest places on Earth. Here, people behave like family, always offering a helping a hand to one another. Going above and beyond the call of duty, Aggies are known to improve the lives of others and dedicate their time in serving their community. The Big Event is a full day of community service in which Aggies from all majors and organizations gather to volunteer and give back to their community. This is just one example of how the Aggie students provide a better learning and living environment.

_________________________________________ ________________000000000________________ __0000___00000000000000000000000___0000__ _0000___0000000000000000000000000___0000_ _000______000000000000000000000______000_ _000_____000___00000000000___000_____000_ _000____________000000000____________000_ __000____________0000000____________000__ ___00_____________00000_____________00___ ____0____________0000000____________0____ __________________00000__________________ _________________________________________ _______________SAW 'EM OFF!!!_____________

The short answer is: everything! There is a network here that encourages former, present, and future aggies to achieve huge goals in every aspect of life. This struck me head-on before I even entered College Station for the first time. At the National Youth Gathering of Lutherans this past summer in New Orleans, a man stood on top of a fire engine in the middle of 40,000 people. With his megaphone, he looked straight at me (wearing a Class of 2013 shirt) and yelled, "Hey, you," pointed to his aggie ring, and smiled. There is nothing like it.

The campus cooperation and loyalty Aggies have for each other is truly unique. Campus traditions like Silver Taps, Muster, and Bonfire Memorial where students gather at night to honor their fellow Ags who have passed away are an amazing experience. Every month Aggies will write condolence letters and gather in the academic plaza for a silent ceremony to comfort the families of the fallen and honor the memory of all students have passed from this world. This experience is heartbreaking and breathtaking as you see how Aggies take care of each other.