Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

The best thing about TAMU is the student life; there are countless groups, programs, organizations, etc. for students to take part in, and the social scene is full of opportunities to meet fellow students and have a great time together. I would change the racial diversity, however, for it seems TAMU is full of an almost entirely White student body, with the only Blacks being athletes, and the only Asians or Middle Easterners representing the most difficult majors, like Engineering, Biology, or Chemistry. I'd say our school size is just right, or if anything maybe a bit too large, but TAMU is definitely far from the small side. When I told people I was planning on attending TAMU, and even now, when I travel and meet people that have heard about TAMU and its notoriety for unique traditions, the reaction is usually the same: TAMU's spirit is contagious - am I one of the 98% or the 2%? (98% refers to the majority that gets "caught up" in the Aggie Spirit, while the 2% refers to the few students that withhold from such behavior and remain unaltered after entry to the university). I spend most of my time on campus either in class or in the library (Evans Library is the one on campus.) Occasionally, I'll head to campus to get a bite to eat, though the best places to find lunch are all on Northgate, which turns into a bar scene by night. TAMU is definitely a College town, and the name College Station originates from the train that runs through campus, for "College Station" describes the stop it made at TAMU along its track. TAMU's administrations is good, but there are more distinguished or experienced faculty members in specific departments. Engineering, for instance, is a program that represents an extremely knowledgeable and well-renowned faculty. The biggest controversy on campus that has occurred lately would have to be last year, when a video turned up online depicting White students discriminating against Blacks; the White students were obviously making fun of and attempting to degrade the image of a Black student, and our campus was in an uproar. The administration reacted immediately to the hateful action, and tons of minority students flooded the MSC to protest the occurence. Obviously school pride is something Aggies are known for, and the notoriety of our traditions and customs isn't a secret. One can definitely expect a unique college experience at TAMU!

The best thing about TAMU is the tradition. TAMU is very rich in its values and this demonstrated throughout the school year (i.e. Silver Taps, Muster, Reveille, and the 12th Man). One just has to become a student to understand the true meaning of 'The Spirit of Aggieland'. School pride is unmatched. The size of the campus is just right. It is big enough to offer many opportunities to students yet it is not large enough to make one feel like they are a small fish in a large ocean. When people hear that I attend TAMU the first thing that they comment about is the Traditions of TAMU. When I am not attending classes, and I am on campus, I can usually be found in the library or the MSC (Memorial Student Center) meeting up friends or studying. When not on campus I can be found at home or if it is in the evening, I will be at a restaurant with friends or visiting the numerous clubs in the Northgate area (i.e. Dixie Chicken) The one experience that I will always remember have to deal with the somber events on campus. The memory of attending Silver Taps and honoring a fallen student and listening to the bugler play taps from the rooftop of the Academic Building on a cold, windless night is etched in my mind. Yet the primary memory that I will keep and share is the memory of attending my first Muster ceremony. This ceremony truly is different than anything one has experienced before it is a way of showing that TAMU never forgets its former students. It is nice to see students from 50 years prior speak of their times at TAMU and rewalize that the time I spent here is almost matches that of theirs. There is always a connection to the past with the present.

The best thing about TAMU is the faculty's willingness to help each student to succeed. That said, the freshman and sophomore core curriculum classes are terribly overcrowded and lack the personal attention of the more intimate major-specific courses (take the basics at Blinn). The size of the school seems right, but the commute from one side of campus to the other during class changes is a bear. People around Texas all know about TAMU and have a generally favorable opinion of it, despite the recent lack luster performances of the once proud football team. I live off campus and spend most of my time around the architecture building when I come for classes. The TAMU administration is far too big to be personal. The most offensive part of the administration is "transportation services" who ineptly operate the parking and bus systems while charging an astronomical fee for the poor service. The biggest controversy on campus is the situation with the bonfire. The school has great pride but it has certainly dropped considerably since the bonfire left campus and effectively tore the heart out of the school. Being a veteran, the most unusual thing about TAMU to me is the Corps of Cadets. It's an odd bunch of mostly really juvenile brats who want to play soldier and think that hazing and stupid rituals are what make up the real military. I will never forget the time the corps' cavalry unit took a shovel full of horse manure and flung it over the t.u. band while marching to the stadium. The most frequent student complaints are over the constantly rising cost of tuition, fees, and books.

A&M is definitely a very large campus. I think there are roughly 40,000 students. That may be too big for some people, but it allows everyone to do whatever it is that they're interested in. A&M does not require the freshman to live on campus, because there simply is not enough space to house all the freshmen, but I do strongly suggest that you live on campus for at least a year. It's an amazing experience! College Station is definitely a college town; it's right there in the name! The school was there first, and there are train tracks that run through the campus. The story goes is that College Station got its name because when riding the train, students and visitors sometimes didn't know at which stop to get off. So at the train station, someone took a board and wrote "college" on it, and nailed it above the sign that said "station." And thus College Station was born. So everything in College Station revolves around A&M. The students at A&M have tons and tons of school pride. There are certainly "2 percenters," or people who are uninterested in A&M's tradition and are only involved in the university about 2%. But most Aggies are incredibly proud to be Aggies, and they are very involved in all things A&M. A&M is a place to feel welcome, invited and loved. It's like a big family. There is a comaraderie at A&M like no other school I've ever seen. If I see anyone on the street wearing an Aggie ring, I've made a new friend. Aggies will gladly go out of their way to help another Aggie, and that's one of the main things I love about A&M.

Maybe everyone says this, but I can't imagine a student body with more pride in its history, traditions, and fellow students. Many people call us a cult, to be honest I'd kind of agree. But the friendly, engaging, wonderful cult that everyone wants to be a part of. The one that embraces you as family, supports you, and has your back throughout life. Aggie pride is reflected in our interactions on campus, out interactions with employees, our behavior at sporting events, and our kindness to anyone called a "Aggie". This is the absolutely best part of the school. A&M is large, very large from what I'm told. I can't imagine going to a smaller school because to be honest I would never believe that there are 50,000 people here. I see people I know everywhere I go. As an undergrad I'd see fellow dormies all the time. We'd meet up for lunch, for movies, to play games. I'd see friends in classes, then at the convenience store on campus. There is a huge push to get freshmen involved in organizations and you could easily do nothing but student organizations every night of the week (a terrible idea if you intend to get good grades) I personally spend most of my time in my dorm. Not holed up, but that's where my social hub is. I know everyone on my floor and they constantly stop by. We do homework together, hang out, play games, etc. People keep their doors open and are encouraged to makes conversation with the people around them. This is largely specific to the northside dorms, which I find sad because it's such a huge part of my life.

Texas A&M is a college town, hence why it is in College Station. The campus is large but beautiful. Once you visit it will captivate you and suck you in, if you already aren't entranced by the spirit and traditions. That is what drew me in, I am a first generation Aggie (no one else in my family has been there) but the longstanding traditions and amazing school Spirit is amazing. Just go to a football game. My first football game - "I had never seen so many people wearing maroon" is what i told my mom. But the yells, the spirit, you'll never experience anything like it. There is amazing alumni support at the school, Old Ags return all the time for the Corps, football games, Muster. There is not enough time to explain all the traditions, but Muster is one of my favorite traditions. As it was said at this years Muster, it is the biggest tradition since everyone will participate in it once. At 3,000 Musters held around the world, with the largest one in College Station, all honoring the Aggies that have died in the past year. From class of 2008 all the way to class of 1938. Someone, a family member or classmate, is there to hold a candle for you, everyone there is honoring and praying for you, so whether you participate by attending Muster or by passing away and being honored at one, you are there. It's an overwhelming feeling. If you want a lot of people to support you, Texas A&M is good for that. Rallying around a cause is something current and former students are good at.

The best thing about A&M is the family atmosphere and the friends you take away from the experience, as well as your education. One thing I would change: NOTHING. Size: just right. A&M has the benefits of a large college (funding, athletic events, diversity) with the feel of a smaller school. People are either in awe of the fact that I went to A&M or turned off by it. I suppose that all institutions elicit those reactions. Most of my on campus time was spent at the MSC, the REC or hanging with friends in a variety of other places. College Station is definitely a college town. Things stay open later and a large majority of the town's events cater toward students. A&M's administration is going through lots of changes and difficult decisions. I know that they will make the best decisions possible for the students involved. Biggest recent controversy on campus: I don't know because I have not been there for a while. School pride? I don't think there is a school in the country that has more pride HONESTLY. Unusual about TAMU? How nice people are. The student extra curricular activities are so numerous, the traditions One experience I will always remember: Ring Day Student Complaint: There is always a complaint about how our athletic teams are doing.

I like the availabilty of being close to home, If I could change it there would be a public stage in between sebisa and mcinnis where I could play with a band. Its fine as far as size goes. They make aggie jokes which I don't mind because I'm transferring anyways. I spend most of my time in my dorm studying. I have no idea what that question means. I guess college station is a college town... after all the name is College Station. The administration is great, and everything is positive. I have no idea what the controversy on campus is because everything is so disconnected. Its too large to be a community and too small to be its own nation. I guess my friends and I have no real controversy to answer your question. There is tons of school pride (rediculous amounts). Its kind of a granfalloon. I wouldn't know if something is unusual, this is the only college I've ever been to. I guess the corps is interesting. I was in it last semester; its like its own sociological environment. I'll always remember being in the corps. I have no idea what the most frequent complaints are.

The best thing about A&M is probably the fact that we have great traditions that include Silver Taps (a memorial service held every month for the student body and family of any students that have passed away during the month), Muster (a memorial service held where ever there are two or more aggies that remeber all former students who have passed on during the year), standing at football games (to represent the 12th man and his spirit), midnight yell and the midnight mugging (this is where the whole students gather in Kyle field at midnight to the aggie yells and then kiss their dates), and fish camp (where freshmen can learn all of the traditons and make friends before they go to school. When people ask me where I go to school I tell them with pride that I attend texas A&M University.

The best thing about A&M is the Aggie Spirit. I've never seen another school with this much spirit across such a wide spectrum of people. And don't be fooled into thinking that Aggie spirit is just Midnight Yell Practices and Football games. It's so much more than that; it's Big Event, the largest student run service event in the nation. It's Muster, recognizing the Aggie Spirit that will continue to live on in those they've left behind. It's Fish Camp, making sure that all freshmen coming into A&M have the opportunity to realize their potential. No matter what you are interested in, you will find your niche at A&M. The biggest regret that I've heard is not getting involved before their junior or senior year.