Texas A & M University-College Station Top Questions

If there is anything I could tell myself as a high school senior, it would be to disregard your classification when making decisions. Being a freshman or a sophomore is no longer an excuse not to do something or even a relevant piece of information. You're just a college student like everybody else. So if you want do do something, do it. Don't tell yourself that it's for upperclassmen only, just do it-it's just for any student. Whether it be looking for an internship or assuming a leadership role in an organization, you can do it.

emily

Don't be anxious about going off to college. Living on your own is not hard and you will make a ton of new friends. Focus very hard on your grades this last year of high school: they will either make or break you. Also, become friends with your teachers, you will need recommendation letters one day! If you can, get an internship in something you are interested in. This will save a lot of time and money if you find out you actually don't enjoy that.

If I could give advice to my high school senior self, I would first tell her to not let homesickness get in the way of venturing out and making new friends. College is too short to be spent in a room missing home. Secondly, I would tell her to stand firm in what she believes and the educational goals she's set, and to not allow other people power to dictate how she feels about herself and the choices she makes. Freshman year will be hard and she'll wish to have to opportunity to change what happened, but looking back at it now I realize it made me stronger. She will have roommates who try to steer her away from her goals and pressure her into doing things she doesn't want to do. I would tell her to do what is best for her. Yes, her roommates will bully and harass her and even threaten her with a tazor, but once she removes herself from that harmful environment she will then see that it only motivated her more to reach her goals. Lastly, I would want her to be patient, and know great things are in her future.

Kelia

If I could go back to my high school senior self and give advice about transitioning into college life, I would stress that balance is key. It is important to study hard, but it is just as important to relax and have fun. My freshman year all I did was study and do homework, I rarely made time for fun because I wanted good grades. Because of that, I missed out on making a lot of friends, participating in church activities, and volunteering. I would tell myself that grades are important but there is such a thing as over-studying, which is stressful and, therefore, detrimental to your learning. I would tell her that taking breaks is beneficial to learning, going out with friends, going out with the youth group at church, and doing what I love, volunteering, is a great way to relieve stress. I would want my high school senior self to take advantage of this advice immediately so that she could enjoy her first semester of college. I didn’t implement these study breaks until my spring semester and I came out with a 4.0 which was better than the 3.5 I got fall semester.

Looking back at high school I realize that as a senior you believe you are on top of the world. You believe you are invincible and connot fail no matter what happens in the future and tend to care less about how you spend your time and more about just enjoying life. I would tell myself as a high school senior to quit wasting my time doing meaningless activities such as watching tv or movies. I would tell myself to start investing my time into things that will set me up for success in the furture such as applying for scholarships, researching classes, or spending more time with my family. When I got to college reality hit me hard and fast that I was no longer one of the smartest kids in the class, I was now average and would have to achieve above and beyond the scope of the class in order to excel. Nothing is handed to you in college, not money, not grades, and not more time, you have to earn each of those by working hard to achieve them. I would want to motivate my high school self to get ready for the challenge of college.

Things are different. The people, environment, lifestyle, all different. But that doesn't mean you have to change, and it especially doesn't mean you should let others change you either. The school is bigger than you thought, yet nothing like High School. Though the size is great, do not let it minimize your image of whom you are and what you believe you're worth. Opportunities are everywhere, though sometimes they're in hiding. But, that only means they're worth searching for. Hundreds of faces you will see, and of those, probably never see again. Distractions and temptations- some of the factors that will come your way, attempting to pull you in. So do you and I a favor, and do not forget that what's around you can certainly have influence, but with that, that you, too, have influence. Set your expectations, be willing to work for them, and have the mentality to overcome. Mend yourself into the person you want to be. You have so much to offer, and you'll see that the world has even more. Lastly, when you reach the feeling of giving up, remember the reason you began in the first place.

Hayley

High school senior self, do not worry that you are unsure of what your future holds. Although you are afraid to leave home, college gives you a new home where you will make unforgettable memories with lifelong friends. You may doubt yourself along the way but college shapes you into the person you are meant to be. Do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone to meet new people or approach your professors. These are the people that will help mold your education that is carried over into the real world after graduation. There are endless opportunities in college to grow, learn, and have fun but you have to make the effort and take risks. The quality of your college experience rests on how much effort you put into it no matter what college you attend. Lastly, you chose the best univeristy in Texas so do not ever forget that!

I would tell myself as a high school senior that I needed to start to develop better study habits sooner rather than later. I would say that I need to learn how to better balance my life and plan how much time I want to dedicate to each activity and opportunity available. I would also tell myself to be brave and meet new people. It is by simply being myself that I can feel more comfortable and just feel at peace. I can be shy at times, so I would tell myself to that overcoming my fears for even just a couple of minutes could possibly lead to have more full and memorable experiences. Also, do not be afraid to approach professors because so many of them are willing to help and are also extremely interesting people to talk with. They were in my shoes at one point too and they know what you are going through. Do not be embarrassed to seek out tutoring because that could make all the difference in a letter grade and just feeling confident when going into a test room. There are so many resources available and you just need to seek them out.

Alejandra

If I could give myself any advice it would be to take learning seriously. High school really did not compare to college classes. The studying is more intensive and the information is asked in a more thourough manner. You really have to know all about the subject and not just graze over the important information. I would also tell myself to ask more questions regarding University life. Adjusting to a new life away from home and without close friends can be very difficult. I would have told my self to ask more people how they dealt with the situation. I would tell myself to start being social and make an effort to meet people that are also attending the same university. Making friends can be very hard when the classes are so large, but if you already know someone you can join the same clubs or catch lunch together. The last thing I would say is to enjoy being in High School, being in a large University is extremely exciting and full of new experiences but High School is an eperience of its own. Do your best and get excited for new changes to come.

Pablo

I would advise myself to study as hard as I can during the summer, and also that I need to go deep on what I want to do for the rest of my life. Also, that college is no game and that you need to give yourself a big push so that you would excel in college. There is a lot of competition for my major and I need to give my best so I can aim to be the best in the major. Also, to get advice from everyone I know that's college related. I would need that advice for my classes. And finallly, that I wouldn't slack off a bit in the year, since plenty of rest in college wouldn't be necessary, and that studying would be.

Alma

If I could go back in time and tell my 16 year old self how to prepare for my freshman year of college, I would tell myself to amp up the effort! Actually study for those pesky AP tests because they can actually save you SO much time and money in college. I would've spent more time looking for scholarships rather than sleeping away the weekends. I would've told myself to enjoy every last second of the year with my best friends. I would emphasize that once you get to college, it will never, and I mean never, be the same. All of your friends will go their separate ways, no matter how much you don't want to believe it. I would tell my young self to cherish family time, because next year, I would be over 200 miles away from home. I'd say, "Yes. You WILL actually miss your loud and troublesome family. Stop taking the small things for granted. Enjoy these last few months of mom doing your laundry." Most of all, I would tell myself not to fear the unknown; life only gets better from here.

Madaline

The advice that I would give to myself as a senior in high school would be to manage my time effiiciently, always complete reading assignments, make good study aides, have well organized notes, and to communicate when having trouble with course material. Managing time in high school is different compared to college, so being involved in a wide variety of extracurricular activities in high school could prepare you for a college student lifestyle. Completing reading assignments, making good study aides, and having well organized notes all have to do with the way a college student studies; therefore, as a high school student these three key components of studying should be implemented to make a smooth transition into a college lifestyle. Lastly, be comfortable with asking for help when struggling with course material, because most times all students are struggling with the same problems.

Bryan

Hello Bryan, i am you from the future. I know you are a senior but you should take all of your classes seriously and do your best. I know you are facing some challenges rite now because I have been in your shoes, literally. Just keep moving forward and don't regret something you messed up on. Just keep moving forward and don't let anything bring you down. Texas A&M is a very challenging and competetive place and if you procrastinate as much as you do now, it will be hard. Do you absolute best.

If I could go back in time and give counsel to myself in my senior year of high school, I would tell myself to calm down. College isn't as scary as you think it is. I would assure myself that my Freshman year will not result in me struggling to make C's in all my big, scary college classes. I would share my current study habits with my high school self and leave a copy of my fall semester college transcript so I could see how well I've done. If I could go back, I would show myself that college is a time to learn,ask questions, serve, and grow, and not the intense and frightening 24/7 study session I had envisioned.

In high school, I was very apprehensive when it came to the college experience and what it all meant. Looking back, I would tell myself not to stress the small things: It doesn’t matter what your major is because more than likely you will change it; who your roommate is will not be a life or death situation (And you probably will be very different from each other); friends are in abundance and are found in all types of situations (especially when there are 10,000 other freshmen who need a friend as much as you). Also, I would let myself know that all of the silly college clichés (at least as a senior in high school that’s what I though they were) are for the most part true. You will make some of the best friendships you will ever have, and freedom is in excess. In fact, you will now have all this freedom that it will now be in your hands to do with it what you want (and this will be the time that you have been waiting for to make your own mistakes, to learn from them, and make memories lasting a lifetime).

Allen

To make your transition into college easier, start now developing good all around habbits. First off keep thinking positively and never loose sight of your end goal; you are joing the Corps of Cadets, it will be challenging mentally, physically, and emotionally at times but they are just working to make you a better individual. Build a stronger friend base, you will make many more once school starts but really branch out to build your support system, however do not forget about your family they are always there for you. Study! even for those classes you know how the back of your hand develop good study habits for all your classes, because even the "easy" A's you will have to put time and effort into. Break all procrastination habbits now and plan out your daily time, you will have alot more time not in class and stricter deadlines, break thos bad habbits now so you will still be able to get plenty of rest. Start doing for activities to get in shape and improve your stamina, morning physical training imes will only get more intense as the weeks progress, you dont want to be the one who falls out!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college, the first thing I would tell myself is to start actually studying and create a habit out of it. I never had to study in high school, and that mentality continued on to college with me. Learning to study, and actually studying, was a major challenge I had to overcome my first year in school. Another thing I would tell myself is to look harder for financial aid. When I originally applied for college, my family was small and my parents did not have to worry about too many kids going to college and how they were going to pay for it. During my senior year, my family grew from having three children to six children, including myself. This created a large financial strain on my parents and caused me to have to pay for a lot of my school. Because of this, I have to work during school which takes time away from my studies and adds more stress to the stress I already have from school. I believe if I could tell myself these two things before college, college would be a lot easier.

Genevieve

If I was to go back in time to and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself after having lived the college life would to be myself and to follow my dreams. Shortly after being in college I realized to be the happiest and to have true friends you need to be who you truly are. To do the things you love even if it is not the "norm," I would tell myslef to stop worring about what others thought because they could never understand who you are without getting to know you. Also I would tell myself to not listen to those teachers who teold me I will not make it because I have learned that hard work and dedication can help achieve dreams and goals.

cassandra

I would tell myself to cherish everyday as a senior because going to college made me realize I didn't appreciate all the good things my school had to offer. I would also tell myself to enjoy the Summer before all the hard work begins and make a bucket list of things to do before I enter college for example; go bungee jumping or scuba diving, this activity would then mark my college journey and I would have a great memory of the next chapter in my life. I would also tell myself that no matter what hard times lie ahead living away from my family that I am in the process of building my future and that in the end it will all be worth the struggles. Most importantly I would tell myself that this is going to be the best adventure of my life and it is important to find a balance between studying, my family and my social life.

When you discover that you have a learning disability, go see a doctor. Don't cheat yourself because you think it will make you less of a student or a person. You will shine. Don't let God out of your life. Mom and Dad know more than you think. Call your grandparents. Money is tricky. Save like you will live forever. Spend what is left like you will die tomorrow. Pay your bills and invest in your future. Then take what little is left and buy the shoes. You deserve them. There is entirely too much beauty in this world to harp on things you can't change. You only get to do this once. You will become most like the people you surround yourself with. Choose wisely. You are NOT fat. Eat the cake. Learn to truly listen, don't just wait for your turn to speak. Honesty builds relationships; bluntness break them down. A casual "thanks" and a genuine "thank you" do not always carry the same weight. There is sorrow in loss; there is relief in letting go. Know all of their differences. Be kind. Be loving. Be patient. Be strong. Be gracious.

Bryan

BE READY.

I would say don't feel bad or upset about not doing as good as everyone else. Just do everything YOU can and make sure you do what's good enough for you, because you'll end up doing just fine then. Also, don't be afraid to be a bit more out-going. The people are realy nice at A&M! Oh, and go to more seminars about companies, and be sure to call your home more. You'll wish that you did.

Yi

Make friends, don't be couped up in your room. you can find alot of new friends. Don't forget to study. Biochem and ochem are hard courses, so do not procracinate.

denise

Listen, you have to breathe sometime. I know you’re stressed about prom, school, and college apps, but you need to breathe. Don't stress too much about colleges, the right one will find you and you'll know when you step on its grounds the first time. You'll make friends, don't punish yourself for your introversion, everyone alone in college it’s a matter of finding each other. You'll miss your family, oh boy will you miss them like you never thought you would, but this is good. This means you're learning how to stand on your own. When you call them remember not to hang up so quickly, our mother offers more wisdom now than we ever thought. Take that wisdom and apply it to your life, this isn't high school, you can’t disregard everything. You need to study for classes, you need to learn to take care of yourself. Listen to your body when it aches and learn to treat it. It's not going to be easy, but I know this is the independence you've been waiting for. So when you get scared, just remember to breathe.

Cathy

Dear high school senior, Take as much dual credit classes as possible so you can get your basic classes out of the way. They're typically cheaper and easier to take that way. Get involved with organizations as soon as possible! Joining group that share your interests is a great way to make friends. Also, joining bigger organizations where you can meet different kinds of people will change your persepctive. Tour the city of your campus before you decide to commit to going to school there, location does make a difference. Apply for more scholarships because college is very expensive. Save your money for fun activities in college. Spend money on places and experience not things. Learn how to cook. Don't feel the need to fit in by dressing the same as everybody else. Thoroughly research your major and the requirements towards your career path. Studying abroad is the best decision you will ever make. Leadership is going to become a big part of your life when you realize how vital it is to your future. Join a selfless cause or an organization that does community service because I promise that you will feel more fufullied.

Dear Past Self, I'm just going to throw it out there before I even begin: TAKE A DEEP BREATH, EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT! I know that you've been told all your life that senior year of high school is when everything changes as you shift to "college mode", but honestly, where you end up going and your test scores etc. are just small details compared to the big picture. Yeah, getting into an Ivy League school sounds terrific, you hopeful senior, but I know that you will make the best out of wherever you end up going. Trust me-seriously, I'm the future you-as long as you reamin who you are, that is going to reflect the results. However, still reach for those seemingly-impossible goals; go for those big-name schools and do your absolute best on your SAT's, go as far as you can go, just don't forget to keep the big picture in mind. Know as you begin applying to colleges, that no matter where you go, you will add to your life a unique college experience, something I cannot wait to begin myself. Best of luck, Future You

Oh little Vanessa! The final year of high school has finally arrived. Prepare yourself for what is to come, but do not stress or worry. Have some fun girl, but continue to work hard in your course; make every single minute count. This summer cherish every second of family time, horseback riding, and working. Ok so maybe not working? Just realize that when you finally get to Texas A&M your occupation will no longer be working for money, but instead you will be busting your chops studying to get that 4.0 GPA and graduate Summa cum Laude. Knowing myself, I know that we will stress about the unknown, but please don't worry! " I got this! ( George Lopez voice)" Just enjoy the ride into Aggieland and be proud that you've made it! My last words of advice are to keep calm, relax, smile, and breath. Everything will come in time so there is no point in stressing or worrying young one!

Rosario

Do not let fear drive you. Embrace the college life without doubts and terror. College life is great, if you know how to manage your time. Remember when people kept telling you, “time management is essential”? They were not lying to you. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to manage your time accordingly. Do not, I repeat, do not procrastinate in anything. Procrastination leaves very little time for you to actually learn what it is you need to learn. You went to college to gain knowledge, but if you don’t focus enough on your classes you will leave with very little information when you graduate. Also, interact with professors and students; there is much to learn from both groups. Do not let yourself be driven by your shyness. All that doubt and timidity leave you with is a large amount of regret. Be fearless in all your endeavors, whether it is socially, academically or internally. Finally, believe in your intelligence. You were accepted to that great university because of your merit and nothing else. If you put the time, effort, and good attitude you will do great. P.S. Money management is also essential.

Diane

Stop trying to impress everyone around you. No, seriously. Your future won't care about all the friends you made. They certainly won't be impressed by all the parties that you went to. College is about having the time of your life and remembering it, not about the drunken nights of regret. Stop bragging and start caring for others. Become a good listener. The first two years is a struggle. You'll figure out your priorities, but until then your grades will suffer. Your advisors will tell you that you'll never get into veterinary school. But you will learn from your mistakes. You start going to class and earn the grades that you've been working for. You'll realize that each "A" is more victorious and rewarding than a hangover. Your weekends will have more library time, and you'll make different friends with the change of scenery. You will walk out of college with a diploma and an acceptance letter to a veterinary university. Your achievements and commitment will take you there. Remember to thank Mom and Dad because they've been there for you every step of the way, whether you knew it or not.

Clare

Dear high school Clare, Things will not be the way you envision them. Life will continue moving forward regardless of what happens to you. Making sincere friends is a process. Friends will come in time, but remember that people take time. Like flowers, with warmth and nutrients, people will unfold for you. Mechanical Engineering is challenging. We thought that sexism could not thrive in a competitive learning environment, and yet, you will encounter this discrimination in both subtle and unconcealed ways. At times you will be bitter; you will want to quit. You are a competent individual, but you need to crave and appreciate your education. Education, if not directly, than through association, will benefit you. Find outlets where your creativity and thoughtfulness will strive. Research is revolutionary; getting involved in something bigger than yourself will help you realize how important you are. If a situation presents itself as unmanageable, break it up into tiny parts. You can make it through anything. This experience, like each and every one after, is unique and is an opportunity to grow. View everything with patience and kind-heartedness, and you will succeed in this and everything. Much love and respect, Clare

If I could tell myself advice as a high school senior I would give myself a few major pieces of advice. The first would be to hunt down scholarships and apply for them as soon as possible, because I found actually getting a scholarship is rather difficult. In addition, I would stress that I should enjoy my last year of high school because it is my last year of having true childhood. While I would have had a hard time explaining this to my senior self who couldn't wait to be an adult, the transition to adulthood and taking hold of adult responsibilities can be confusing and stressful. I never realized how often I would need my social security number or how confusing the world of banking, credit cards, and finance could be. The last piece of advice I would give would be to enjoy the time you have with your family because in a few months you will only see them a few times a month at best.

Don't be afraid to be yourself. Give yourself as a gift to other people and allow them to see joy.

Dominic

The transition from high school to college is no easy task. College life brings new friends, new environments, and parental freedom, the most sought after desire of every high-school student. I made a lot of mistakes my freshman year of college. And given the second chance, knowing what I know now there are many things I would have done differently, but the most important lesson I should have learned earlier was the separation of work and play. The key components to the successful college student are prioritization and self-discipline. Entering your first year of college armed with these two characters already mastered makes the transition almost a cinch. Friends will be magnets to you, demanding you teach them your ways, professors will showcase you as a model student, your parents will be proud of you, and you will have the satisfaction of hard work paid off. Always remember the two most important phrases walking out the door. The first one is from your parents, “work now, play later,” and the second from Dave Ramsey, “Live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else.” Those are the keys to a successful first year.

Elisa

Now having been in college for two years, going on three, I have learned many things that I wish I would have known as a senior. Perhaps the most important is to enjoy myself. I have learned that I have the rest of my life to be an adult, and I will never be as young as I am at this exact moment. Instead of staying in, I should have gone to watch that movie, gone to that game or on that date. Those chances will not present themselves again, not in the same way or with the same people. Which brings me to the next thing I wish I would have known, not all your friends will stay. All those misadventures and late night conversations will not last forever and neither will these friendships, so enjoy them. Things happen and people change, we choose different paths and grow into the people we will become. You will never have these friendships again, the people you will meet in the coming years cannot replace them and the adventures you had together. So enjoy the time you have together and don’t try to grow up to fast, you have time.

Relax! College is a great experience as long as you are yourself. Don't pretend to be somewone you're not even if it is to make new friends. You will never be happy, and you will eventually find friends who will like you for who you are. On another note GPA is not everything. If I had to choose between getting a 4.0 while being a social outcast and getting a 3.0 while having somewhat of a social life I would choose the latter any day. You are only in college once. While this is not an excuse to party every day it is a reason to get out and enjoy the college life every once and a while. Lastly, relax! College may appear to be a scary new place, but it is truly not. You will likely make some of the best memories of your life and forge lifelong friendships that will follow you for many years to come.

Sahir

Be open to new experiences. Respect others' opinions. Everyone has unique perspectives, and each perspective has validity in some way. Relax. Focus in class. Stay on top of your work. You'll be fine.

benjamin

Dear Ben, I'm writing this letter because you are about to experience something you aren't ready for. You have planned and prepared for college but there are conspicuous holes in your preparation. They can't be filled with material objects, so you must listen take this to heart. I know that you are friendly and patient, you have a lot of friends and you get along with a lot of people that you don't agree with. You are about to embark on a four-year journey on which you will learn a lot about the world, but even more about yourself. Next year you will live with a roommate for the first time. You will share a lot of time and a small amount of space. My advice applies to this circumstance but also to life. You can't go through life believing you are tolerant. You have to be accepting. Tolerance is too impersonal. You will hate peoples' actions and decisions. They will be different from you, but you are different to them too. The world can only advance if we work together. Attitude is the first step in your ambassadorship to the world. Patiently, Ben

Jesus

I would advice myself to balance my extracurricular activities with my schoolwork and not overload myself. Furthermore I would tell myself to take my housing situation with more seriousness and abstain from making rash decisions.

Travis

I wish I could go back in time and tell my high school self, "Travis, believe or not, but everything you have been learning in religion class and during Church services about God and what brings people real happiness is true. I know your teachers and school counselor have you worried to death about applying to colleges, and the most important thing in the world to you is making good grades. However, I can promise you that if you depend on those things to make you happy, they will always leave you empty and dissatisfied. The only way you will ever feel that wholesome fulfillment as a person is through self-less love. Set asides your own selfish desires, and put the needs of others before your own. God created us to be loved and to love others. The more you resist what God created us for by refusing to give of yourself, the more discontent you will become. Yes, planning for your future success is extremely important. Indeed, God created us with a longing to achieve great things; however, academic and financial success will not complete you as a person.

This is the advice that I would give to myself: When rough times come in the future keep up a good attitude and do not get discouraged. Rough times are bound to happen and it is not in your control when they happen, but it is in your control what your attitude is during the tough times and going forward. If you let a bad situation cause you to have a poor attitude you will not improve the situation, but you will allow it to compound into a worse situation. When times are tough, keeping a good attitude will help you make the most of the situation, and it will be an encouragement to others. Do not let mistakes get you down because mistakes happen to everyone, and we are not defined by our mistakes but we can learn a lot from them. Remember that hard work is key for success. Love others always. Remain strong, keep a positive attitude, persevere, and hold onto your faith.

The advice that I would give to my high school self is that no matter how hard it gets just remember that it has been done before and it will be done again. The only thing that stands between you and your college degree is how hard you are willing to work for it. Just never give up and you will make it through. Life will always get hard and throw challenges at you. What defines your character is how you react and respond to those challenges.

You Can Do It! No matter what everyone has said to you over the years, you can do it. There are a couple of things that will help you with the transition. First and for most study, do not wait until the last minute. Study every day to help retain all that you have learned, build off of each day’s material. The next thing you need is time, it will slip away from you faster than you think, so plan out your day with time for class, studying, friends, and time to play. Last and most important Sleep, you have to get plenty of sleep. Nothing else matters if you do not get enough sleep. There are so many things to do in college, so if you plan your time, get plenty of sleep, you will have the time of your life and so many opportunities for great things to help build you into the person I know you can be.

It is O.K. to struggle. When the nights are long, you've had 4 cups of coffee, and you still don't understand that physics problem, you will be ok. Whether they admit or not, everyone struggles at some point in time of their college career. You may struggle academically. You may struggle emotionally. You may struggle financially. That is normal. You will make it through this journey a smarter, better, stronger individual. When those rough nights come you will always have someone to lean on. It may be your friends or your family, but someone will be there for you to talk to. In the end, you will be fine and you will be successful.

Karsyn

The best advice I could give anyone about to embark on their new chapter of college would be to not compare. High school and pre-college life is not the same as college life and should never be compared or else you will constantly be let down. Of course, some things are absolutely the best once you gradaute and go off to school, but other things are different (not bad, just different) and if we compare the stages of our lives we will feel like we're doing something wrong and we aren't. Friend, roommate, family dyanmics will change. Schedules, priorities, hobbies will all change as well. And it is okay because its a new time. It will still be the time of your life, just in a different way than your life before.

JuanCarlos

Many people will give you advice about making the transition into college. No advice is right or wrong, it all depends on the individual person. Going back in time, I would tell myself to take the SAT and ACT more seriously. I missed out on some great opportunities because I did not take them seriusly. Secondly, I would tell myself to be ready to work hard and to not let obstacles get in my way. While you are in college you are shooting towards one goal. To get you degree. Do not let anything stand in the way of making that happen. Thirdly, I would tell myself to have some fun while you are in college as well. Do not get caught up on just books and studying. I have found that balancing work and play leads to the best grades that I have made so far. Finally, I would tell my past self to not be afraid to take risks and get out of your comfort zone. Getting out of your comfort zone is the best way to gain new experiences and to expand you mind. That includes studying abroad.

If I could go back and give myself advice, I would tell myself that college is more than just a place to earn a degree. College is where you can meet the best friends of your life and if you don't give yourself time take a break from studying and spend time with friends, college can become overbearing. At the same time, college is not a joke. Highschool is nothing compared to the workload you find in college. Not studying for tests and breezing by on your intellegence alone will not cut it in college. There is simply too much information to not at least spend some time looking it over. College also marks the most freedom you will ever have in your life, and it will be a magical time. But with great freedom comes great responsibility. You are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} accountable for getting to class, eating healthy, and making friends. College is where the best thrive, and the irresponsible fall off. Everyone is capable of thriving in college, but only you can make college the experience of a lfe time.

Take your time in community college. There's no reason to jump the gun and enroll in a major university after only a year and a half. Finish taking your required math and english courses now and you'll thank yourself later; you'll save yourself a lot of heartache over poor grades in courses that you have no interest in. Later on, use you classes at Texas A&M to really explore your interest in language and in art. Your time at A&M would be well spent while fully immersed in your Russian classes. Don't worry - you'll get to Russia eventually and it will be the time of your life, even if you don't see the sun for three months. Stop trying to get to the next place before you're ready to be there. Do one thing at a time, and everything will sort itself out.

Transitioning from high school to college was an especially difficult task for me. In high school I nearly failed two classes, not because they were hard courses, but because I was unmotivated. It wasn't until college until I changed my perception. Never before had I accomplished academic success as a means to find self-worth. Attending college taught me to only depend on myself for success and happiness (this had been the first time I was truly on my own), and to make the decision to always play the hand I'm given. At the start of my first semester, I was here only so I could enable myself for a good career, but as time and responsibility pressed on I realized that simplifying these years with such a shallow task would be robbing myself of a great experience. My definition of success has been altered. I no longer consider ultimate success as a means of income, but rather an aptitude of constant learning throughout life. College showed me how to aspire to learn, and I would advise my high school self to strive to learn for the sake of growth, through constantly playing the hand I'm dealt.

I would tell myself to try harder and care more about about my grades. I would tell myself that if I try harder I will be further along when I graduate. I would also tell myself to listen to people who knw more than me and quit being hard-headed about everything. I would also tell myself to try harder and every aspect of my life including sports and to be humble regardless of the situation.

I would say: "Have fun with friends and don't worry about what people think about you. Your style is YOURS. What you like is what you like! Everybody is very unique. Which means others may or may not like the same things you do, what you do, or how you dress. In the long run that isn't very important. I wouldn't say it doesn't matter what people think about you, because it does. You don't want a bad reputation. Don't go out and be wild. You can have fun without doing crazy things. Your reputation is important and will affect your fiture, so be mindful of that. However, what others think is not your main concern. Again, people are unique. Others will have different likes and disslikes. What they like does not have to be what you like. You are unique! So, continue to dress in what makes you comfortable and eat what food you like. You should be who you are and not conform to what others want you to be. "