Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

I wish I would have known how different your hometown can be to the university to where you attend. A&M is huge in comparison to the small town which is predominatly hispanic. I realized how important diversity is and how much fun it can be to learn about different cultures and meet new people. I also wished I would have known how much I still need to grow up. Being away from home made me mature a great deal. I had to learn to budget my time and my money.

The one thing I wish I had known before I became a pre-med student at Texas A&M was how difficult and demanding the work load would be. I study about 5-8 hours a day just to stay on top of my work load, and that's with only 15-16 hours! I enjoy the challenge and love all the knowledge I'm able to soak up. I've learned through mentors and professors how to balance my busy study schedule with a fun and relaxing social life so I can proudly say i regret nothing.

I wish I had taken more time in looking into campus life. I lived off campus and regret never on campus. There are so many advantages to living in a dorm the first year, like learning the ropes of the campus. It is a large campus and I often had to carry a map with me the first year but the friends I had knew where everything was within a month. Also it saved them a lot of time because they did not have to find parking and walk across campus to get to class.

I wish I would have known how different it was really going to be from highschool. I wish I would have known how much harder the classes were going to be and how much more effort I needed to put into them in order to do well. In highschool it was easy to put a little effort nto the class and do very well, but in college it takes a lot of effort to do well in classes. I did not do great in my first semester because I struggled with the transition.

I wish I would have known exactly what I want to do for a career. The colleges at this school are competitive to get into unless you're entering as a new freshman. Many of the classes, even the freshman ones, are designed specifically for each major as well. I feel a little lost not knowing what I want to do, and you have to declare a major at 60 hours. I also wish I would have applied for more scholarships beforehand--this college is expensive.

I wish I had known how to study and take notes properly. High school is such a different world. You really can walk out of there with a 4.0 and not have learned hardly anything. In college I have learned (the hard way) how to focus during class and take meaningful notes, rather than just writing down what the prof says. I have learned to study as I go rather than cram at the last moment before the exam.

The only thing I regret about my college experience thus far has involved drug and alcohol use. I wish I would have known how easy it is at this University to live a wild lifestyle and have no one question it. Prospective students should know that drugs and alcohol are common at this school, and that getting mixed up in them has disastrous results. Thankfully, my GPA has transcended my freshman mistakes.

Although I knew a great deal of information about this school before I attended, I wish I had known that I needed to get involved more. It is such a big campus with thousands of students, which makes it difficult to make close knit friends. Organizations help in creating good friendships and also help in making a student learn how to manage their time more appropriately and focus on their priorities.

When applying to the University it was my understanding that it would be easy to find financial aid. What I came to realize is that tutuion price raises every year and if you have no one with good credit to co-sign, it is near impossible to get help. I feel like I work hard and do very well in this school and its not fair that things are made difficult because of my family's financial situation.

Before i came to A&M i wish i would have realized how easy High School was and how much i took it for granted, but the most important thing i realized was that college is tough but not as horrible as i imagined it; your teachers are'nt these mean heartless people who just teach for the money, they actually care, and if you actually try to do well in a class you will succeed, College is amazing.