Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

Before coming to this school, I wish I would've respected it more because originally my top choice was it's rival school, The University of Texas at Austin. After hearing my high school peers degrade Texas A&M inside and out, I felt like Texas A&M was the worst school possible and that I would hate it. However, after being here for a semester, I could not be happier about coming to Texas A&M.

I wish I had known a lot more about many of the aspects of college success. I did not know much about applying for and receiving financial aid, transportation options to campus, and academic resources, such as libraries and places to study. A&M offers information about these options, but I just wish I had taken time to investigate and utilize all of the resources offered by this campus.

I wish that I had known how to study before I came to Texas A&M. In high school, the classes were all relatively easy for me and I did not have to study for the tests to get an A. Even in my more challenging classes, studying consisted of briefly looking over my notes before the test. In coming to Texas A&M, I have had to learn how to study, because the classes are challenging.

I wish I had know that, if you're not straight, white/hispanic, and religious, and conservatice, that Texas A&M is not the place for you. I knew they had excellent programs in Agriculture, Engineering, Architecture, and decent in Business, but I would have considered how the campus community and College Station community is an integral part of the whole experience.

In high school, I always did very well without having to study very much or at all. I just wish I learned how to properly study during my time in high school, because if I had, things would have been a lot easier on me now. Studying, and studying A LOT, is necessary for every class in college. However, I have managed quite well and now know how to study efficiently.

Find out more about possible majors and the requirements to apply for the colleges of the majors you are interested in within the University. Be active in pursuing your interests and inclinations early on even if you are unsure. Talk to several different academic advisors to get different perspectives, not just one person. Do not be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Really get involved in campus activities. The friends you make are 100X better (and more important) than the classes or schoolwork. Don't judge the school by Fish Camp or New Student Conference. A&M is a lot more diverse and artistic than pictures and descriptions may let on. Although they have a reputation for being conservative, there is very high tolerance.

Since I live off campus and don't have a car, I feel limited. While the bus can take me to and from campus and even the grocery store, it would definitely be more convenient if I lived on campus. I don't think that living off campus would have affected my decision for attending A&M much, but it would have made my transition to Texas A&M much easier.

I wish I had known it was OK to live off-campus. It's cheaper, buses to and from campus are free, and I had so much more fun. Don't bother with a dorm-room and roommate that sleeps 10 feet from you. Living off-campus won't decrease time spent on campus or detract from social events; I was on campus six days a week, even during the summer.

I wish I would have known a few more people there before I came to school. My first semester was difficult to get adjusted to because I was not used to such a large campus and large classrooms. It was a little difficult to make friends in classes of 400 people, but I made it through and each semester proved to be better than the last.