Texas A & M University-College Station

« See more reviews of Texas A & M University-College Station

Texas A&M University more than anything is a family. Once you're an Aggie you will always be an Aggie and that's absolutely the best characteristic of my school. Unlike other universities of comparable size, here no student is ever forgotten. At A&M it doesn't matter if you pass away your first month of attendance or ninety years later, we will honor and recognize you individually through Silver Taps or Aggie Muster. Silver Taps is a hauntingly beautiful tradition where Aggies gather the first Tuesday of every month to recognize current students whose lives have ended.

The traditions at Texas A&M are the building blocks for the community of Aggie students. In every class, at every sports event, at every club meeting, the Aggie spirit and camraderie are tangible. Being a pre- vet student places me in many rigorous academic conditions, but I know that my prefessors, peers, and myself are all oriented towards the same goal of success, and that we all share the same common bond. Without the traditions of A&M, I would just be another student wandering around from class to class, but instead I get to be an Aggie.

The best thing about my school is the twelfth man mentality. The twelfth man mentality is a thought that you will be ready to serve your school at any time whenever they are in need of your help. This is seen through events like Aggie Football games where all students stand for the whole game showing their readiness and willingness to jump into the game if needed. The mentality also translates to life after college, rather than devotion to A&M the devotion turns to your country in that you will always be ready to serve and help your nation.

The best thing about Texas A&M is the school spirit. There's nothing like it at any other university. We don't have cheer leaders, but manly yell leaders. At every major sporting event they stand infront of the student section and conduct the entire student body into one loud strong yell; a unified voice instilling fear into the opposing team. We are known for our friendly campus where the greating is a cheerful "howdy" no matter what. At the end of every speach a "gig'em" is offered to enforce the message and unify the audience.

I consider our traditions to be the best thing about Texas A&M University because it sets us apart from other universities. At Texas A&M we have deep-rooted traditions that have range of emphasis from athletics to remembrance to the community. One of my favorite traditions is "Howdy." "Howdy" is the official greeting at Texas A&M and we say it to students and visitors on our campus to make everyone feel welcome. As we walk across campus, we say "Howdy" to each other, even to complete strangers, to create a friendly environment.

After a wonderful first year at Texas A&M University, I have learned that tradition is one of the most prized values about my university. My most memorable experience last year was an event called "Muster", where Aggies honor and respect other Aggies who have passed away in the previous year. My school displayed pictures and honors that the individuals had recieved while they were students, and held a wonderful memorial service in our basketball arena in the evening. I felt so honored to be a part of such a meaningful event.

The professors at Texas A&M University are among the best in the country, in my opinion. They love to teach. If you have a question or even a theory you came up with, they are always there to listen. Keeping a good relationship with the professors is always a beneficial aspect of being a student. You learn so much more when you ask questions and, at Texas A&M, no question is a ridiculous question. I truly believe that even the simplest questions lead to a higher understanding of the material and the professors love that.

The best thing about Texas A&M is the Aggie Spirit. Everyone is proud to be an Aggie and most become very involved in the community. A&M is a large school with a tight-knit community with the heart being the Corps of Cadets. The Corps provide a safe atmosphere and are a very present "force" on the campus. A&M has alot of oppertunities for research and study abroad in all majors, including oppertunities for freshmen and sophomores. Even though we don't have a great football team, our stadium is very impressive!

I think the best thing about my school is the network of former Aggies in the business world. Especially for business students, there are programs cand internships basically handed to you to help you after you graduate. The Aggie network will be helpful after graduation, because all the former students out there want you to succeed as well as they did, so they do whatever possible, using their connections to help out new Aggies. I think that is an awesome thing to know who all are behind you every step of the way.

The sounds of Aggieland is the best part of A&M. Nothing compares to the sound of the Corp of Cadets drilling at the crack of dawn, the WHOOP!'s yelled by upper classmen, the Midnight Yell's, the BOOM of the cannon when our boys touchdown, the solemn silence of Silver Taps, the splashing of Pond Hopping, the soft call of "Here" at Muster, the roar of the Student Bobfire, "HOWDY!", the official greeting of A&M, the ringing bark of A&M's First Lady, Reveille, and the chants the we, the 12th Man, make at every game.