About Texas A & M University-Galveston

Founded in 1962, Texas A & M University-Galveston. is a Public college. Located in Texas, which is a city setting in Texas, the campus itself is Town. The campus is home to 1,905 full time undergraduate students, and 109 full time graduate students.

The Texas A & M University-Galveston Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 15:1. There are 147 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at Texas A & M University-Galveston include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate55%
Application Deadline
Application Fee45
SAT Range
ACT Range22-26

Admissions at TAMUG are considered Selective, with ,8% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 60 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

78% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 60% were in the top quarter, and 12% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at Texas A & M University-Galveston.

9%
“We”re apathetic”
27%
“We know about current events and vote”
64%
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
0%
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
8%
“We save it for the classroom”
17%
“Sometimes, but not often”
67%
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
8%
“All the time, including weekends”
0%
“I”m always terrified”
0%
“I only go out in groups”
25%
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
75%
“I feel extremely safe”
50%
“We don”t play sports”
0%
“We play recreationally”
0%
“We bought the gear”
50%
“We live for the big game”
33%
“It”s not really our thing”
25%
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
42%
“There are a variety of opportunities”
0%
“We”re a very artistic group”
17%
“Haven”t met them”
0%
“Available in class”
50%
“They keep regular office hours”
33%
“They”re always available”
67%
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
33%
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
0%
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
0%
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
8%
“We”re not into drinking at all”
33%
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
42%
“We only party on weekends”
17%
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
18%
“Never, we”re here to learn”
73%
“There might be people who do”
0%
“People are known to partake on weekends”
9%
“There”s a huge drug scene”
9%
“We”re apathetic”
27%
“We know about current events and vote”
64%
0%
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
8%
“We save it for the classroom”
17%
“Sometimes, but not often”
67%
8%
“All the time, including weekends”
0%
“I”m always terrified”
0%
“I only go out in groups”
25%
75%
“I feel extremely safe”
50%
“We don”t play sports”
0%
“We play recreationally”
0%
“We bought the gear”
50%
“We live for the big game”
33%
“It”s not really our thing”
25%
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
42%
“There are a variety of opportunities”
0%
“We”re a very artistic group”
17%
“Haven”t met them”
0%
“Available in class”
50%
“They keep regular office hours”
33%
“They”re always available”
67%
33%
0%
0%
8%
“We”re not into drinking at all”
33%
42%
“We only party on weekends”
17%
18%
“Never, we”re here to learn”
73%
“There might be people who do”
0%
9%
“There”s a huge drug scene”

Texas A & M University-Galveston REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

27 Students rated on-campus housing 3.4 stars. 7 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

25 Students rated off-campus housing 3 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

27 Students rated campus food 3 stars. 4 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

29 Students rated campus facilities 3.8 stars. 21 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

29 Students rated class size 4.4 stars. 72 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

30 Students rated school activities 3.7 stars. 27 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

29 Students rated local services 3.3 stars. 28 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

29 Students rated academics 4.4 stars. 59 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of Texas A & M University-Galveston?

13 Students rated Texas A & M University-Galveston

Priscilla

Despite the sub-par food, limited tutoring avalibility, and lack of sports to participate in, TAMUG is a genuinely good school. The classes are small enough for you and your professor to gain a relationship to work toward your success, the professors are passionate, and everybody knows everybody. Whether you're staying here to transfer to main campus, or if you're staying here for all four, you'll definitely feel at home.

Emmett

Texas A & M University - Galveston is a small campus, which is nice if you are not into the big campus life. Some of the classes have an upwards of 80+ students, meanwhile, some classes will barely contain 10 students. The Marine Biology and Engineering programs are notoriously tough and for a good reason, so if your heart is not into either of those subjects then I would not recommend majoring in these fields of studies. The staff and faculty on campus are also very helpful and supportive of their students like they really make you feel like you are part of the Aggie family and it is one of the many things I love about this campus. So, if you are looking for a school that has fields of studies involving the ocean then TAMUG is definitely the place to go. I would gladly recommend it to anyone looking to make a living out on the seas.

The campus is in a favorable location with great weather and amenities. The food could be improved with a greater variety. Facilities are enjoyable for student activities and comfort. Professors are usually personable and knowledgeable and available to students.

STEPHEN

Texas A&M University at Galveston (TAMUG) is a tremendous establishment that offers the best of many worlds. First of all it is 100{6f65e1278338a62264eed73e2adc5af8e2841420db12ceb4f80b8db22f3260ec} associated with Texas A&M University College Station (TAMU) where students receive the same education, Aggie ring, diploma, and much more. Every year I purchased student football tickets and every home game I drove to College Station so I could cheer on the "Fightin Texas Aggies." This was great as I still got to participate in all the traditions that make up at Texas A&M University. Not going to lie, the tickets set aside for TAMUG are probably better than most of those offered to TAMU students. Again, you have same traditions and family as those located at Galveston as you do at College Station. The one thing that sets TAMUG apart is its location in Galveston which caters to those who love the ocean and all it has to offer. A day could consist of a morning in class learning about beach nourishment followed by studying on a beach under the Texas sun by noon! I strictly attended TAMUG as it offered a degree in Maritime Systems Engineering (now known as Ocean Engineering) which provided me with an amazing education and set me up for a career that I love working as a marine engineering in the offshore oil & gas industry. Another advantage of the school is you still obtain the same level of education, but at a fraction of the cost from main campus which for me was a factor as upon graduation I didn't want to be loaded down by massive student loans. Luckily I was able to pay off my student loans in just 4 years which amounted to just shy of $30K Overall a great university that offers so much to a diversified world of potential students.

Texas A & M University-Galveston FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at Texas A & M University-Galveston?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for Texas A & M University-Galveston is 55%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

There are a few things I did right and wrong for college. First off, do not be afraid to take a lot of your personal belongings from home. Your dorm room is not a box! You will have plenty of room for your belongings, and you will probably end up bringing them later. Plus, having your personal belongings sure makes being away from home in a dorm a lot more comfortable. Second, go crazy making friends. Making friends makes the change from home to college a lot easier. You will need people to talk to who feel the same. There is a 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} chance the people you see are new to the school. Saying hi just may make a new and helpful friend. Do not look down at the sidewalk just because you walk past someone new. Finally, go to school for what you want and love. Do not be talked out of persuing the degree of your dreams just because it does not have the same income as another. Do consider future finances but do not let them make the decision. If you do not love your degree what makes you thing you will love your future job? Exactlly!

Read all  34 answers
  3. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

The Aggie Network basically assurres you a job after graduation.

Read all  8 answers
  4. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

its very hard to get into town if you do not own a car because there is no public transportation.

Read all  7 answers
  5. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

I wish I knew how to study. I did not know what to look for when I studied. I either wrote down too many notes or not enough, and this messed up how I studied. My previous school only cared about the standardized testing. If I knew how to study I could have done much better on my tests.

Read all  6 answers
  6. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

Academically centered seasoned in traditions.

Read all  5 answers
  7. Describe the students at your school.

The classmates in which I attend class with are all extremly outgoing and nice. Texas A&M is known for its friendly people, and that tradition is true in Galveston. Although Galveston, like any other school, is very diverse in its students, the students themselves are all very united. On game days, the air is filled with excitment, no matter you preference to football, everyone is gathered, watching the game and cheering.

Read all  5 answers
  8. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

Texas A&M is known for their reputation as a great school. By this I mean the knowledge one will gain while attending is excellent because the professors are experts in their profession. You will also be able to take that knowledge and go into the career field of your choice feeling prepared to apply that gained knowledge.

Read all  4 answers
  9. What's unique about your campus?

Our school spirit is amazing. We are more like a family than a group of students and faculty.

Read all  4 answers
  10. What kind of person should attend this school?

someone who is interested in anything that has to do with the water. marine engeniering, marine biology, marine transportation, etc.

Read all  4 answers
  11. What kind of person should not attend this school?

Any kind of person is welcome with open arms at Texas A&M Galveston, but since this school is very friendly, people who are not nessecarily friendly will probably not fit in as well as someone who welcomes a journey with a smile.

Read all  3 answers
  12. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

For those that do not live on-campus, you have to cross a bridge, be delayed by the inevitable train and then cross another bridge; the last bridge being a drawbridge which would occasionally get stuck! Travel time from 25 miles away ranges from 20 minutes to an hour. That doesn't include heavy traffic, just obstacles likes bridges and trains!

Read all  3 answers
  13. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

My school solely focuses on the maritime industry, that's what makes it so unique from other schools I considered. Evey degree available is to prepare you for the different maritime fields. From maritime administration to marine biology to marine engineering and plenty others, it all has to do with the water and the nautical involvements. Another thing that makes my school very unique from the other schools is that it's very small. There are only about 2,100 students and I love how everytime you turn a corner, you see someone you know.

Read all  2 answers

Student Body

Students

39%

female

61%

male

1,905

Total Undergrad Enrollment

109

Total Grad Students

7%

Out-Of-State

N/A

In-State

N/A

International

Organizations

31

Student Organizations

N/A

Fraternities

N/A

Sororities

Housing

Yes

On-Campus Housing

54%

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
N/A
% Asian/Pacific Islander
2%
% Black or African-American
2%
% Hispanic/Latino
15%
% White or Caucasian
76%

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

61% of students attending Texas A & M University-Galveston receive some sort of financial aid. 17% were awarded federal grants. While 45% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$14,813

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$1,272

Books and Supplies

$7,800

Room and Board

23,885

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
Cost
$0 - $30K
$7,084
$30 - $48K
$10,007
$48 - $75K
$13,875
$75 - $110K
$14,663
$110K & UP
$15,693

We use student reviews and the most current publicly available data on our school pages. As such, we don't typically remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

START YOUR SEARCH

CAN YOU GET INTO Texas A & M University-Galveston?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.

START YOUR SEARCH