Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

The best thing about TCU is the sense of community you feel as soon as you step on campus. For me, I knew TCU was home the first time I stepped on campus. One thing I would change about TCU is the emphasis placed on Greek life, but not the pride that members of fraternity and sorority life have. TCU is the perfect size; nothing is too far away that you can't walk there in ten minutes and it's the perfect size for getting to know many people on campus during your stay. For me, people react with a sense of awe and amazement when I tell them I go to TCU. It's obviously no Harvard or Yale, but attending TCU is a prestigious and honorable thing and it's a big deal to tell people you attend TCU. I love that Fort Worth is more than just the university. You will never run out of things to do. The school's administration is one of my favorite aspects of the school. Chancellor Boschini is one of the nicest people I've met, and the rest of the staff is personable and friendly, as well as easy to approach. The most recent controversy on campus is obviously the drug bust, but this controversy brought us together as a campus and the situation was handled in the best way possible. There is so much school pride; we are essentially a family of horned frogs. There is so much unity, whether it be at the tailgates before the baseball game, sitting in the audience of the dance concert, or cheering on Casey Pachall as he throws the game-winning touchdown versus Boise State. The most unusual thing about TCU is probably the fact that there is really no division between any two groups. Seniors are friends with freshman, football players are friends with band kids, frat guys are friends with non-affiliated members. One experience I will never forget is my very first TCU football game. Walking into Amon G. Carter Stadium and seeing the sea of purple fans, all united to cheer for the same cause was one of the most breathtaking experiences of my life. We are horned frogs, we are family. We love TCU. The most frequent student complaint would be the constant construction or the lack of parking. Obviously, there's not much to complain about at TCU. My overall opinion of TCU is that it is such a fine institution. I am so proud to attend school here. I can't say it's perfect for everyone, but there are so many reasons to love it and I don't see how you can't find at least one thing you adore.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I grew up around TCU and always loved it and dreamed of going there, but knew that without scholarship, tuition would be financially hard on my family. I knew that when I stepped on campus, I would find a way to call it home. I was offered a rather large scholarship and knew that TCU was the school for me. TCU is so generous when it comes to financial aid that it's hard to turn it down.

Greek life dominates TCU. Most students are a member of some kind of fraternity or sorority. I, myself, am a member of a sorority, and I love it! We do all kinds of fun events, as well as community service with our philanthropy. My dorm has a very communal feel and I feel like we're all good friends. Athletic events are VERY popular. Most people attend our football games and baseball games, especially. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my sorority, and if I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'm probably studying with them. People party every weekend, and if you're into that kind of thing, you'll always be able to find a party. If you're not, into that, there's plenty of things to do. You can go to the rodeo or to Billy Bob's, the world's largest Honky Tonk!

The students at my school are, bluntly put, white, well-off, intelligent students. There are some common misconceptions about TCU, like the fact that our mommys and daddys pay for everything, but the majority of students here are on scholarship. Most students are conservative and involved in a Greek organization. A student who wasn't comfortable associating with these kind of people would definitely feel out of place. The boys are fratty and they dress the part. The girls are typical sorority girls and wear large t-shirts and Nike shorts to class everyday, while managing to look put together. The dining hall is very segregated, with each table designated for a different fraternity and the girls they are friends with. Most of the students are either from Texas or California, and most are financially well-off. Most girls tend to talk about how they will marry into money and most guys aspire to be millionaires.

At TCU, Greek life is very prevalent, so naturally, the stereotype is that all the guys are very fratty and all of the girls can be materialistic. While this is true for some of the people at TCU, there are definitely plenty of down-to-earth students who care about more than their Greek organization. I, myself, am in a Greek organization and have found that most of the people at TCU are genuine people. TCU has also been featured heavily in the news lately, and I think that is important to remember that the news highlights an extremely small percentage of students and that this small percentage should not represent the entire school

Alix

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend TCU in Fort Worth, TX because it was the perfect fit. It had a beautiful campus and everything was close in proximity which I liked. The campus and students overall had school pride and were very friendly. The academics are stellar and there are many opportunities to get involved in extracurriculars as well. Also, TCU gives financial aid to many of their students and that extra money was a huge draw to the school. Finally, TCU has good NCAA Division I sports so the games are always fun to go to, especially because all home games are free for all students and there's usually giveaways and free stuff, which is awesome!

I have had many experiences with diverse groups of people. They are all excited to be a part of the TCU Horned Frog community and they are all friendly and overall good people. I don't really think any student would feel out of place at TCU because there's something for everybody. Most students wear comfortable clothes to classes. Most of the students at TCU are from Texas, but there are also a lot from out of state and out of the country. It's cool meeting people from different places. I would say that most students come from at least middle class families or a more wealthier background, but there are many students who come from not so well off families and are only at TCU on scholarship and other financial aid.

The academics here are awesome. I earned a 4.0 in my classes my first semester of college and some credit is due to those professors who taught well and were willing to help. All professors have office hours so if you're struggling you can visit with them and they really help because they can talk to you one on one and break it down for you. Classes are a good size. My smallest class has been one of about 20 and my largest class has been one of 110. Students take school pretty seriously and they are studying in their rooms, the hallways, the dorm lobby, and of course the library. The school really focuses on getting students prepared for the work and the real world after graduation. It's a great academic fit and there are a lot of cool classes available to take.

Krista

I like it. But I wish it was a bit bigger. And that there were Greek houses. TCU has a great reputation academically, and each year athletics become more and more popular.

TCU students are diverse.

Small classes allow for teachers to know their students. I can talk to all of my teachers easily and without scheduling conflicts. Class participation is very common.

Rich kids. And with the recent drug "bust," it seems to only amplify the stereotype. However, the majority of students do not participate in drugs and many students are on scholarship. Sure, there are some kids whose parents make lots of money, but bratty young people are going to be everywhere. TCU is a school of all socio-economic backgrounds.

Peyton
Why did you decide to go to this school?

I really liked everything about it when I came to visit and I had heard good things about it.

I have really enjoyed the acamedic aspect of TCU. I have had a lot of really inspiring, great teachers. TCU is a good size and I really like the fact that the campus is closed and you can walk to anywhere you need to go on campus. The football games are also a lot of fun. There is a lot of school spirit and pride at TCU.

A large part of TCU's population are greek. They seem to be everywhere and very involved both in greek life and outside of it.

Maria

Student Activities/Groups What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The Crew, intramural sports, organizations within each majors, fraternities, sororities, club sports, the TCU teams, and a lot more Tell us about a group you're involved with. Intramural Soccer: We play one a week, sometimes get together and practice and have a lot of fun! How popular are athletic events? Extremely popular, especially football and baseball games If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Probably studying for a test the next day or watching TV How often do people party? Usually every weekend, unless they have a really busy week coming up What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Go to the movies, watch a movie with your friends at someone's dorm, go out to dinner, go bowling, get together at the recreation center and play basketball or racquetball, and much more.

Students: People: There is a large variety of people from different parts of the world, from different religions, races, and cultures. I personally know people from Paraguay, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Pakistan, India, Hawaii, China, Vietnam, and more. Who would feel out of place? Absolutely no one What do most students wear to class? There is an immense variety of answers to this question because everyone dresses as they please and no one judges. There are people who dress up every day just as there are people who wear gym clothes to class everyday. Four tables in the dining hall? Fraternity 1, fraternity 2, athletes with others, internationals with others

Alexandra

The Greek scene is definitely pretty dominant on campus, but there are hundreds of other organizations to be involved with! Pretty much every person I know is involved with at least two student organizations! There is really something geared for everyone. The campus is very lively with something always going on - athletic events, plays, religious events, celebrations, recreational activities, pretty much anything! There is a pretty strong party scene, but there is so much to go if you're not into that! A lot of people like to go to Billy Bob's, the local honkytonk, or do other things in Fort Worth!

I would say most of my professors know my name which really surprised me for my first year in classes! The student-faculty ratio is relatively small so a lot of my classes are pretty small which is incredibly nice! Another thing that shocked me at TCU is that class participation is very common. Teachers really do care that you attend class. There is definitely a lot of studying. As it will be anywhere else, what you put into the class is what you get out of it so take classes you're interested in! The curriculum in every department is great - so many classes to choose from! I feel as though the campus in general is very intellectual. I may be biased because I live in the honors dorm, but a lot of people really care about academics because they want a strong future!

The most common stereotype is definitely the frat guy and sorority girl - that Greek life dominates the campus. Although the Greek system is extremely prominent, you don't have to be in a sorority or fraternity to enjoy yourself. I know plenty of people involved in a number of other clubs. Another stereotype is that everyone who goes to TCU is rich because the school is so expensive. There are definitely a good number of wealthy students on campus, but many students are here on scholarship and may not be so wealthy. There is a variety of backgrounds.

Matthew

A lot of people seem to think that TCU is full of a bunch of rich kids whose mom and dads pay for everything of theirs. While this may be true for some, I believe that it's not for 2/3 of the school's population. A lot of us really enjoy what the programs and the education that TCU offers, relying on scholarships to keep us at the University.

Mariah

I love this school! The best thing is that everyone is so nice and the campus is extremely beautiful. It's the perfect size because classes aren't too big- even directors of programs and chancellor are accessible and recognize students! People usually think about our football team when I say I go to TCU, but they also know that it's a great university! This isn't really a college town, but there is so much stuff to do still! Downtown Fort Worth is close and so is West 7th St. And Dallas is only a 30 minute drive. There is awesome school pride! People are always wearing purple.

What are your classes like?

My classes are usually small- 30 students or less. It's great because you get to know the professor and other students. And you get a lot more done in class- which means more in-class review time for tests or projects.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I like going to the BLUU. But the dorm I live in is great too. Milton Daniel is the honors dorm and there are a bunch of study pods and lounges that are great for getting the quiet environment you need to study. Also, on nice days, people study outside on the grass.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Rock to Bach. Other than that, it really depends on the major and professor. The professor really makes a difference. I know most people will pick classes based on professors rather than time.

What do students complain about most?

Market Square being too busy and full. Lines get really long at certain times. And forks run out quickly.

The Tree Lighting before Christmas. We have a huge tree in the Commons and everyone comes out to see it light up. Mr. and Mrs. Clause come, there are carolers, and there is an endless supply of hot chocolate. And reindeers!

Get involved in something immediately. If you don't, then it gets harder to make friends.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Tuition increases! And letting more students into the school.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Market Square is our cafeteria and it's in the BLUU. There are a lot of options there, but it can get old after a while. Union Grounds and 1873 are also in the BLUU. Union Grounds is a coffee/snack place. 1873 is a restaurant that was just recently revamped. The library has a place like Union Grounds called the Bistro Burnett. And there is Froggorrito in the business building, which is a Mexican food place. Then there are a bunch of places on campus that aren't affiliated directly with TCU, like Einstein's, Smoothie King, Potbelly, Dutch's, Red Cactus, and Fuzzy's. Some of those places take Frog Bucks but others don't.

No! There is a strong Greek presence and many people are filthy rich, but that does not even come close to describing everyone at the school. You have to get to know people here to see that we are so much more than that.

Beautiful! Smaller than other campuses, but well-kept. The environment is amazing and there are always flowers in bloom. And the buildings all look the same except for two- Sid Rich and Moudy.

What's the Greek scene like?

Almost everyone is in some Greek society, whether it be a typical one, a major-based one, or an interest-based one.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose to come here because TCU has a great journalism program and I liked the size of the campus. I didn't like TCU as much when I first visited as I do down. You realize more and more things that you love the longer you go here.

Ignite, Student Government, theCrew, and Greek life are most popular. But you can find clubs for anything you can think of! Football games are the most popular, but unfortunately, a lot of students leave early or come late. So the student section empties out. All athletic events are free for students! The dating scene isn't anything too different, except that remember it's a smaller school than most, so if you have a bad date with someone, it's likely that you'll see them again. Some people party every day, some people don't party at all. If you don't want to drink, then there are a million other things to do on weekends!

Students are nice! Definitely a southern hospitality feel here. I know a lot of people that are different races, religions, sexual orientations, socio-economic classes and more! But you will notice that most students are white. A lot of girls wear baggy t-shirts and nike shorts- it's an ongoing joke around campus. Frat guys wear polos and button up shirts and khakis. Those looks are very common, but there are people who wear different things! Everyone interacts well. I don't think anybody would feel out of place here- they would find somewhere to fit in.

Professors will learn to know your name and will even have a conversation with you when you see them outside of class. I love all of my classes, but sometimes it's annoying to take all of the core classes. Students study a lot- academics are extremely important to students here. But we aren't crazy kids who don't do anything but homework. Class participation is like any school- we have a lot of discussion classes, but students are hesitant to speak sometimes. The school is geared towards getting a job because, at least in my major, we get to practice what we learn so that we have experience.

The stereotype is that we are all kids from wealthy families and will pay thousands of dollars to be in the Greek system.

Dustin

Last's are the most important in life. A first can shape your life, but in my opinion that last's are what you really learn from. The last's are what happens right before your consciousness changes the way you think, feel and do presently. It's the true moment of clarity and realization that there's an alternative to what was previously taking place.

Kaci

The students at TCU are diverse in many ways; ranging from across the U.S. and around the world from all kinds of socio-economic backgrounds. There is a percentage of the student population who come from a lot of money but there are also students like me who are there only because of scholarships.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot to say. First of all, don't take on too much at once! Pick one or two on-campus organizations and focus your energy on them instead of spreading yourself too thin. Secondly, I would say to just enjoy the experience as much as you can! College doesn't last forever, and if you take it for granted, it will be over before you know it and then you'll have to face the real world. Third, I would give anything to be able to tell myself that it is okay to change your mind. You may not know what you want to be right away and there's nothing wrong with that. Lastly, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the scholarship oppurtunities available! Student Loans add so much more stress so utilizing resources you have access to is an envaluble asset.

A student who is goal and career oriented, who wants to be the best in their field.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.