Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Krista

I like it. But I wish it was a bit bigger. And that there were Greek houses. TCU has a great reputation academically, and each year athletics become more and more popular.

TCU students are diverse.

Small classes allow for teachers to know their students. I can talk to all of my teachers easily and without scheduling conflicts. Class participation is very common.

Rich kids. And with the recent drug "bust," it seems to only amplify the stereotype. However, the majority of students do not participate in drugs and many students are on scholarship. Sure, there are some kids whose parents make lots of money, but bratty young people are going to be everywhere. TCU is a school of all socio-economic backgrounds.

Peyton
Why did you decide to go to this school?

I really liked everything about it when I came to visit and I had heard good things about it.

I have really enjoyed the acamedic aspect of TCU. I have had a lot of really inspiring, great teachers. TCU is a good size and I really like the fact that the campus is closed and you can walk to anywhere you need to go on campus. The football games are also a lot of fun. There is a lot of school spirit and pride at TCU.

A large part of TCU's population are greek. They seem to be everywhere and very involved both in greek life and outside of it.

Maria

Student Activities/Groups What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The Crew, intramural sports, organizations within each majors, fraternities, sororities, club sports, the TCU teams, and a lot more Tell us about a group you're involved with. Intramural Soccer: We play one a week, sometimes get together and practice and have a lot of fun! How popular are athletic events? Extremely popular, especially football and baseball games If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Probably studying for a test the next day or watching TV How often do people party? Usually every weekend, unless they have a really busy week coming up What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Go to the movies, watch a movie with your friends at someone's dorm, go out to dinner, go bowling, get together at the recreation center and play basketball or racquetball, and much more.

Students: People: There is a large variety of people from different parts of the world, from different religions, races, and cultures. I personally know people from Paraguay, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Pakistan, India, Hawaii, China, Vietnam, and more. Who would feel out of place? Absolutely no one What do most students wear to class? There is an immense variety of answers to this question because everyone dresses as they please and no one judges. There are people who dress up every day just as there are people who wear gym clothes to class everyday. Four tables in the dining hall? Fraternity 1, fraternity 2, athletes with others, internationals with others

Alexandra

The Greek scene is definitely pretty dominant on campus, but there are hundreds of other organizations to be involved with! Pretty much every person I know is involved with at least two student organizations! There is really something geared for everyone. The campus is very lively with something always going on - athletic events, plays, religious events, celebrations, recreational activities, pretty much anything! There is a pretty strong party scene, but there is so much to go if you're not into that! A lot of people like to go to Billy Bob's, the local honkytonk, or do other things in Fort Worth!

I would say most of my professors know my name which really surprised me for my first year in classes! The student-faculty ratio is relatively small so a lot of my classes are pretty small which is incredibly nice! Another thing that shocked me at TCU is that class participation is very common. Teachers really do care that you attend class. There is definitely a lot of studying. As it will be anywhere else, what you put into the class is what you get out of it so take classes you're interested in! The curriculum in every department is great - so many classes to choose from! I feel as though the campus in general is very intellectual. I may be biased because I live in the honors dorm, but a lot of people really care about academics because they want a strong future!

The most common stereotype is definitely the frat guy and sorority girl - that Greek life dominates the campus. Although the Greek system is extremely prominent, you don't have to be in a sorority or fraternity to enjoy yourself. I know plenty of people involved in a number of other clubs. Another stereotype is that everyone who goes to TCU is rich because the school is so expensive. There are definitely a good number of wealthy students on campus, but many students are here on scholarship and may not be so wealthy. There is a variety of backgrounds.

Matthew

A lot of people seem to think that TCU is full of a bunch of rich kids whose mom and dads pay for everything of theirs. While this may be true for some, I believe that it's not for 2/3 of the school's population. A lot of us really enjoy what the programs and the education that TCU offers, relying on scholarships to keep us at the University.

Mariah

I love this school! The best thing is that everyone is so nice and the campus is extremely beautiful. It's the perfect size because classes aren't too big- even directors of programs and chancellor are accessible and recognize students! People usually think about our football team when I say I go to TCU, but they also know that it's a great university! This isn't really a college town, but there is so much stuff to do still! Downtown Fort Worth is close and so is West 7th St. And Dallas is only a 30 minute drive. There is awesome school pride! People are always wearing purple.

What are your classes like?

My classes are usually small- 30 students or less. It's great because you get to know the professor and other students. And you get a lot more done in class- which means more in-class review time for tests or projects.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I like going to the BLUU. But the dorm I live in is great too. Milton Daniel is the honors dorm and there are a bunch of study pods and lounges that are great for getting the quiet environment you need to study. Also, on nice days, people study outside on the grass.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Rock to Bach. Other than that, it really depends on the major and professor. The professor really makes a difference. I know most people will pick classes based on professors rather than time.

What do students complain about most?

Market Square being too busy and full. Lines get really long at certain times. And forks run out quickly.

The Tree Lighting before Christmas. We have a huge tree in the Commons and everyone comes out to see it light up. Mr. and Mrs. Clause come, there are carolers, and there is an endless supply of hot chocolate. And reindeers!

Get involved in something immediately. If you don't, then it gets harder to make friends.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Tuition increases! And letting more students into the school.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Market Square is our cafeteria and it's in the BLUU. There are a lot of options there, but it can get old after a while. Union Grounds and 1873 are also in the BLUU. Union Grounds is a coffee/snack place. 1873 is a restaurant that was just recently revamped. The library has a place like Union Grounds called the Bistro Burnett. And there is Froggorrito in the business building, which is a Mexican food place. Then there are a bunch of places on campus that aren't affiliated directly with TCU, like Einstein's, Smoothie King, Potbelly, Dutch's, Red Cactus, and Fuzzy's. Some of those places take Frog Bucks but others don't.

No! There is a strong Greek presence and many people are filthy rich, but that does not even come close to describing everyone at the school. You have to get to know people here to see that we are so much more than that.

Beautiful! Smaller than other campuses, but well-kept. The environment is amazing and there are always flowers in bloom. And the buildings all look the same except for two- Sid Rich and Moudy.

What's the Greek scene like?

Almost everyone is in some Greek society, whether it be a typical one, a major-based one, or an interest-based one.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose to come here because TCU has a great journalism program and I liked the size of the campus. I didn't like TCU as much when I first visited as I do down. You realize more and more things that you love the longer you go here.

Ignite, Student Government, theCrew, and Greek life are most popular. But you can find clubs for anything you can think of! Football games are the most popular, but unfortunately, a lot of students leave early or come late. So the student section empties out. All athletic events are free for students! The dating scene isn't anything too different, except that remember it's a smaller school than most, so if you have a bad date with someone, it's likely that you'll see them again. Some people party every day, some people don't party at all. If you don't want to drink, then there are a million other things to do on weekends!

Students are nice! Definitely a southern hospitality feel here. I know a lot of people that are different races, religions, sexual orientations, socio-economic classes and more! But you will notice that most students are white. A lot of girls wear baggy t-shirts and nike shorts- it's an ongoing joke around campus. Frat guys wear polos and button up shirts and khakis. Those looks are very common, but there are people who wear different things! Everyone interacts well. I don't think anybody would feel out of place here- they would find somewhere to fit in.

Professors will learn to know your name and will even have a conversation with you when you see them outside of class. I love all of my classes, but sometimes it's annoying to take all of the core classes. Students study a lot- academics are extremely important to students here. But we aren't crazy kids who don't do anything but homework. Class participation is like any school- we have a lot of discussion classes, but students are hesitant to speak sometimes. The school is geared towards getting a job because, at least in my major, we get to practice what we learn so that we have experience.

The stereotype is that we are all kids from wealthy families and will pay thousands of dollars to be in the Greek system.

Dustin

Last's are the most important in life. A first can shape your life, but in my opinion that last's are what you really learn from. The last's are what happens right before your consciousness changes the way you think, feel and do presently. It's the true moment of clarity and realization that there's an alternative to what was previously taking place.

Kaci

The students at TCU are diverse in many ways; ranging from across the U.S. and around the world from all kinds of socio-economic backgrounds. There is a percentage of the student population who come from a lot of money but there are also students like me who are there only because of scholarships.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot to say. First of all, don't take on too much at once! Pick one or two on-campus organizations and focus your energy on them instead of spreading yourself too thin. Secondly, I would say to just enjoy the experience as much as you can! College doesn't last forever, and if you take it for granted, it will be over before you know it and then you'll have to face the real world. Third, I would give anything to be able to tell myself that it is okay to change your mind. You may not know what you want to be right away and there's nothing wrong with that. Lastly, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the scholarship oppurtunities available! Student Loans add so much more stress so utilizing resources you have access to is an envaluble asset.

A student who is goal and career oriented, who wants to be the best in their field.

Lindsay

TCU has a strong sense of community starting off from the first day you get here. I personally knew no one coming into TCU and through programs with TCU and the campus life I made friends instantly. TCU also has a wonderful professor to student ratio. The classes are smaller and the professor has more time to give to students. This is exteremly helpful if you are having trouble in a class and need extra time to meet with the professor.

TCU students should be well rounded in school and activities. The business and nursing programs at TCU are the most well known programs. If you are interested in either of these fields TCU is for you. Most of the students here are very active in sports or working out. Students are very involved in greek life, so being involved in a sorority or fraternitiy is very important. Students with an outgoing personality or someone looking to make a fresh start should definitely come to TCU.

The transition from high school to college is a difficult one. Especially the transition in the level of difficulty of the school work. Looking back on my time in high school I would have took more workshops to better prepare me with studying habits, writing sytles, and basic living away from home needs. When I went to college I had no idea how to study for exams. I had never had to apply myself that much to do well in school. It was very stressful learning to studying and adapting to studying more. In high school the amount of papers I had to write were extremely limited. This was always opposite from college. If I would have had better writing and citation skills in high school I would hae felt much more prepared for college. Lastly, when I had been at college for my first few months I began to come across challenges like making a budget for costs, how to pay bills, managing time, and managing living with roommates. These were all things that I had never learned about or even talked about with others. I believe a basic life skills class as a senior would greatly help this.

Paige

An extremely friendly, motivated, and school-spirited community.

An extremely friendly, motivated, and school-spirited community.

If I was to give my high school self advice, I would say to listen to my parent's guidance. At the time, I presumed that they did not understand where I was coming from and I thought that what was going on in my life was extremely important. My parents told me to keep my eyes on my future and worry about things like grades, school, and building my resume. Looking back I realize that a majority of the things I thought were extremely important are absolutely irrelevant now. I spent a lot of wasted time worrying about things that are no longer important to me.

A person who is not going to be extremely dedicated to their studies.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.