Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Matthew

A lot of people seem to think that TCU is full of a bunch of rich kids whose mom and dads pay for everything of theirs. While this may be true for some, I believe that it's not for 2/3 of the school's population. A lot of us really enjoy what the programs and the education that TCU offers, relying on scholarships to keep us at the University.

Mariah

I love this school! The best thing is that everyone is so nice and the campus is extremely beautiful. It's the perfect size because classes aren't too big- even directors of programs and chancellor are accessible and recognize students! People usually think about our football team when I say I go to TCU, but they also know that it's a great university! This isn't really a college town, but there is so much stuff to do still! Downtown Fort Worth is close and so is West 7th St. And Dallas is only a 30 minute drive. There is awesome school pride! People are always wearing purple.

What are your classes like?

My classes are usually small- 30 students or less. It's great because you get to know the professor and other students. And you get a lot more done in class- which means more in-class review time for tests or projects.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I like going to the BLUU. But the dorm I live in is great too. Milton Daniel is the honors dorm and there are a bunch of study pods and lounges that are great for getting the quiet environment you need to study. Also, on nice days, people study outside on the grass.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Rock to Bach. Other than that, it really depends on the major and professor. The professor really makes a difference. I know most people will pick classes based on professors rather than time.

What do students complain about most?

Market Square being too busy and full. Lines get really long at certain times. And forks run out quickly.

The Tree Lighting before Christmas. We have a huge tree in the Commons and everyone comes out to see it light up. Mr. and Mrs. Clause come, there are carolers, and there is an endless supply of hot chocolate. And reindeers!

Get involved in something immediately. If you don't, then it gets harder to make friends.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Tuition increases! And letting more students into the school.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Market Square is our cafeteria and it's in the BLUU. There are a lot of options there, but it can get old after a while. Union Grounds and 1873 are also in the BLUU. Union Grounds is a coffee/snack place. 1873 is a restaurant that was just recently revamped. The library has a place like Union Grounds called the Bistro Burnett. And there is Froggorrito in the business building, which is a Mexican food place. Then there are a bunch of places on campus that aren't affiliated directly with TCU, like Einstein's, Smoothie King, Potbelly, Dutch's, Red Cactus, and Fuzzy's. Some of those places take Frog Bucks but others don't.

No! There is a strong Greek presence and many people are filthy rich, but that does not even come close to describing everyone at the school. You have to get to know people here to see that we are so much more than that.

Beautiful! Smaller than other campuses, but well-kept. The environment is amazing and there are always flowers in bloom. And the buildings all look the same except for two- Sid Rich and Moudy.

What's the Greek scene like?

Almost everyone is in some Greek society, whether it be a typical one, a major-based one, or an interest-based one.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose to come here because TCU has a great journalism program and I liked the size of the campus. I didn't like TCU as much when I first visited as I do down. You realize more and more things that you love the longer you go here.

Ignite, Student Government, theCrew, and Greek life are most popular. But you can find clubs for anything you can think of! Football games are the most popular, but unfortunately, a lot of students leave early or come late. So the student section empties out. All athletic events are free for students! The dating scene isn't anything too different, except that remember it's a smaller school than most, so if you have a bad date with someone, it's likely that you'll see them again. Some people party every day, some people don't party at all. If you don't want to drink, then there are a million other things to do on weekends!

Students are nice! Definitely a southern hospitality feel here. I know a lot of people that are different races, religions, sexual orientations, socio-economic classes and more! But you will notice that most students are white. A lot of girls wear baggy t-shirts and nike shorts- it's an ongoing joke around campus. Frat guys wear polos and button up shirts and khakis. Those looks are very common, but there are people who wear different things! Everyone interacts well. I don't think anybody would feel out of place here- they would find somewhere to fit in.

Professors will learn to know your name and will even have a conversation with you when you see them outside of class. I love all of my classes, but sometimes it's annoying to take all of the core classes. Students study a lot- academics are extremely important to students here. But we aren't crazy kids who don't do anything but homework. Class participation is like any school- we have a lot of discussion classes, but students are hesitant to speak sometimes. The school is geared towards getting a job because, at least in my major, we get to practice what we learn so that we have experience.

The stereotype is that we are all kids from wealthy families and will pay thousands of dollars to be in the Greek system.

Dustin

Last's are the most important in life. A first can shape your life, but in my opinion that last's are what you really learn from. The last's are what happens right before your consciousness changes the way you think, feel and do presently. It's the true moment of clarity and realization that there's an alternative to what was previously taking place.

Kaci

The students at TCU are diverse in many ways; ranging from across the U.S. and around the world from all kinds of socio-economic backgrounds. There is a percentage of the student population who come from a lot of money but there are also students like me who are there only because of scholarships.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot to say. First of all, don't take on too much at once! Pick one or two on-campus organizations and focus your energy on them instead of spreading yourself too thin. Secondly, I would say to just enjoy the experience as much as you can! College doesn't last forever, and if you take it for granted, it will be over before you know it and then you'll have to face the real world. Third, I would give anything to be able to tell myself that it is okay to change your mind. You may not know what you want to be right away and there's nothing wrong with that. Lastly, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the scholarship oppurtunities available! Student Loans add so much more stress so utilizing resources you have access to is an envaluble asset.

A student who is goal and career oriented, who wants to be the best in their field.

Lindsay

TCU has a strong sense of community starting off from the first day you get here. I personally knew no one coming into TCU and through programs with TCU and the campus life I made friends instantly. TCU also has a wonderful professor to student ratio. The classes are smaller and the professor has more time to give to students. This is exteremly helpful if you are having trouble in a class and need extra time to meet with the professor.

TCU students should be well rounded in school and activities. The business and nursing programs at TCU are the most well known programs. If you are interested in either of these fields TCU is for you. Most of the students here are very active in sports or working out. Students are very involved in greek life, so being involved in a sorority or fraternitiy is very important. Students with an outgoing personality or someone looking to make a fresh start should definitely come to TCU.

The transition from high school to college is a difficult one. Especially the transition in the level of difficulty of the school work. Looking back on my time in high school I would have took more workshops to better prepare me with studying habits, writing sytles, and basic living away from home needs. When I went to college I had no idea how to study for exams. I had never had to apply myself that much to do well in school. It was very stressful learning to studying and adapting to studying more. In high school the amount of papers I had to write were extremely limited. This was always opposite from college. If I would have had better writing and citation skills in high school I would hae felt much more prepared for college. Lastly, when I had been at college for my first few months I began to come across challenges like making a budget for costs, how to pay bills, managing time, and managing living with roommates. These were all things that I had never learned about or even talked about with others. I believe a basic life skills class as a senior would greatly help this.

Paige

An extremely friendly, motivated, and school-spirited community.

An extremely friendly, motivated, and school-spirited community.

If I was to give my high school self advice, I would say to listen to my parent's guidance. At the time, I presumed that they did not understand where I was coming from and I thought that what was going on in my life was extremely important. My parents told me to keep my eyes on my future and worry about things like grades, school, and building my resume. Looking back I realize that a majority of the things I thought were extremely important are absolutely irrelevant now. I spent a lot of wasted time worrying about things that are no longer important to me.

A person who is not going to be extremely dedicated to their studies.

Carolyn

I'm absolutely head-over-heels in love with TCU. I wouldn't go to school anywhere else if you paid me to. There's always something going on, professors are fantastic, and Fort Worth is a great town. TCU has a big school feel to it, but at the same time you can't walk to class without seeing someone you know. People are usually very impressed when I tell them I attend TCU. The school pride is very high (especially around football season).

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The main cafeteria on campus is Market Square. The food is pretty decent for cafeteria food (come on, you can't expect much). There's also 1873, which is a little restaurant in the BLUU that has pretty good food if you don't feel like eating at Market Square. On the other side of campus, there is a little place you can get Mexican food called Frogoritto. There's also a lot of places within walking distance of campus where you can get pretty good food, like Fuzzys, Potbellys, Dutchs, or Red Cactus.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I frequently study in the study lounges in my dorm building. The quiet area of the library is also a popular place to study. Sometimes I go up to the 3rd floor the BLUU and study there. If you don't mind the noise, market square has a section tucked in the back where you can study and snack at the same time.

Describe the dorms.

I currently live in Sherley Hall. It is one of the newer Freshman dorms. I love living here. Sometimes it gets pretty loud and the community bathrooms can get pretty gross, but it's not so bad. Most of the Freshman dorms have a fairly small room you share with a roommate and community bathrooms. Some of the dorms feature bathrooms you share with your roommate and the 2 people living next to you.

I'm going to be honest here and say that most of the students who attend TCU are attractive, well-off, white people. TCU students are more on the conservative side. Most the girls tend to wear athletic shorts and a sorority tee shirt to class, nothing too fancy. Although, all the girls do their makeup for class. All of that being said, if you don't fit the typical TCU student, that's ok too because the students at TCU are really nice and you shouldn't be worried about fitting in. You'll make a lot of friends here regardless.

TCU is a very Greek school. Most of the student body is involved in a fraternity or sorority. We also have a Christian fraternity and sorority if that's more your thing. If partying is your thing, there's always a party going on during the weekend. But if it's not, that's cool too because TCU has a lot more to offer than partying. For example, there's a lot of the time something pretty fun going on in the BLUU or the commons or even in your residence hall. There's a lot to do in Fort Worth as well so there's never really an excuse to be bored!

The class sizes are usually pretty small with about 35 people each, although there are some core classes that can get up to 120. With these small class sizes, the professors get to know you and there is more room for discussion in class. I've found the classes to be challenging, but in no way overwhelming or impossible.

The stereotype of people at TCU is that we're all rich and stuck-up. The girls are catty and the boys are fratty. While there may be some truth to this stereotype (in that most of us are financially well-off), TCU students are so so nice. I realized how friendly everyone on was the minute I stepped on campus and my opinion has not changed at all. Yes, we are very greek, but that doesn't mean that we aren't nice to those who choose not to go greek.

Caroline

I have been extremely blessed to attend TCU. The best thing about TCU is the people and interaction you have with professors. The size of TCU is very beneficial to learning environments and has a great student - professor ratio (14-1). This allows for one on one time with my professors who are some of the top professors in their field in the nation. Every since becoming a Horned Frog the administration and financial aid department have been very supportive of my needs and has found every possible way to help me finish my degree at TCU.

The students at TCU are what make this university so great. I have been an RA for three years and getting to know the different classes has been great! There are a good deal of international students and also students from out of state. I came from WI and moving to TX was a challenge at first, but the community surrounding TCU is very welcoming and living in Fort Worth is always a great place to live. I am very connected to TCU and the students, they are very welcoming and love to meet new people!

The professors are very easy to get a hold of and spend a great deal of their time with students one on one. This is good for students in order to really learn the material and to be able to apply it after graduation. My favorite class has been Business Law. The professor wrote the textbook and was extremely knowledgeable about the topic. We frequently had class discussions and debates, very interactive and very informative.

ariel

The best thing about TCU: the people. Where else can you go and you are guaranteed to see at least 10 people you know when walking to class but also getting the opportunity to make more friends? People’s reaction to finding out I go to TCU: How about them frogs?!? School pride: Like you have never seen. FROG NATION ? Experience I will always remember: Getting to have lunch with the Chancellor…twice

Describe the dorms.

each dorm is different all underclassmen dorms you will share a room with at least one other person and have community bath. upperclassmen dorm you have you own room and share at bath with no more than one person. i live one of the newer freshmen dorms as an RA and we also have a theatre

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I found the best place to get stuff done is anywhere with a big comfy chair!

What are your classes like?

my classes this semester are all interesting in their own right my eglish professor for science fiction is a character my child welfare professor is awesome especially with all the stories she share my sociology teacher cant speak english very well my criminal justice teacher gets right to the point

~Do professors know my name: Yes…so much so that they write recommendations for me and invite me to lunch. ~My favorite class: are those that deal with children because I love them but also because the teachers make them extra fun by having us watch cartoons with homemade cookies or using great pictures ~How often do students study: depends on the class, how well the students learn, and what grade the student wants to make

Most people who don’t go to TCU considers it to be a school where everyone feels as though they are better than everyone else, its run by Greek life, and the teachers could care less about you. But at TCU it’s the complete opposite. We have students from all walks of lives that equally embrace everyone. Although Greek life is a big part of TCU it only account for about 40% of our student population. Lastly yes you will encounter classes where there may be 50 students in one place but the professors here at TCU take the time to get to know each and every one of them. They want you to succeed having office hours and working with you off the clock to make sure you get the materials you may need.

AmandaJade

TCU is a world class university that is teaching it's students to be ethical leaders and to help the world.

I would tell myself to be open minded and to be more accepting of others. You will soon realize that there are people who are probably better at math than you are, but that is no reason to get upset. You will get homesick, but this too shall pass. As long as you get involved from the start, you will have a smooth transition into life at TCU. Be yourself when you go to college. Don't try to reinvent yourself, because your true self will come out. Lastly, start on your work ahead of time. It will build up quickly, and doing it the night before is not fun.

The best thing about TCU is the atmosphere. Great people, professors, city and sports. I can guarantee that there is something for everyone at TCU.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.