Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Ryan

TCU has really been almost the perfect fit for me. There could be more students on campus, and it would be nice to see new people in all of my classes each semester, but the familiarity is somewhat comforting as well. There is a lot to do in Fort Worth and Dallas is a short drive away. i wish TCU had more school pride, tho. Football season only seems to be exciting when we are doing well; and when we're not, attendance to games are low and people don't care too much. There are a lot of genuine and caring people at TCU, but i'd have to say there are equally as many people that only think about themselves.

TCU is mostly white. Anyone can tell that from just stepping on TCUs campus. it would be nice for some more diversity, but I know TCU really does try as hard as possible to make the student body diverse. Main groups are separated into fraternities & sororites, the few asian/indian exchange students, black people, and non-greeks. I would have to say that stuff is pretty segregated nad people usually stick to their main groups.

This is very true, although I have seen things really changed over my 4 years. Other public events have been created by the Programming Council, which have fun concerts, food, etc and they have beome a lot more popular. It's just harder to seek things out to do if you are not Greek.

TCU is a really good school academically. I have come to learn that pretty much ever major at TCU is good at what they set out to teach the students about. I have been very impressed by the recognition that TCU receives as a school, and this is only gotten better over my 4 years.

That the social calendar revolves around Greek life.

Alex

The best thing about TCU is that the professors truly care (for the most part). I mean you'll always come a cross a rotten apple in the bunch. But, all of my professors are there to serve me, the student. The student to teacher ratio is phenomenal, without which I could not get to know my professors, and they could not get to know me. I would change the tuition prices. I understand that with the small class sizes it comes with a larger sum of money necessary to support the college, but I feel like the money that we spend to achieve the degree, is spent in the wrong places. It's hard to believe that the thousands of dollars my parents pay for me to attend such a prestigious university, are only spent academically, as I believe they should be. They can take their alumni donors to do whatever else they find necessary to the university. My school, as previously mentioned, is just the right size. The student to teacher ratio is very high and it allows for teachers to get to know their students. People usually are pretty impressed when I tell them I go to TCU, which I don't think is necessary. It's a school just like all the rest. Um..I would not say I spend all of my time in one place. I study all over the board when it comes to school. I sleep in different places. I eat in different places. There are so many options with TCU. Hah. More like "what college town" The biggest recent controversy is the change in dining plan. People just aren't used to it. It's going to be fine. It is unfortunate that we cannot take food to go. That's a little ridiculous. I'm always on the go and that's going to severely frustrate my schedule planning. I understand we as Americans need to slow down and move to a more family-oriented environment. But hell, I have two jobs and go to school full time and am expected to be an active member of my family. And you want me to sit down and eat each of my meals in one place? Please. There is not a TON of school pride. Thank God. We do not go to A&M or UT for a reason. I like the small town nestling TCU school pride. Just right. Not too much. And, not too little.

As previously mentioned, again, all my professors know me. My favorite class is Spanish. I LOVE learning in that class. No matter what teacher, what level, it's always so interesting. Students are always studying. It's college. It's what you do. In my classes, for the most part, class participation is not common. I'm Pre-Med and most classes are lab or lecture based. You're pretty much on your own. Ha, I'm a TCU student, and I'm always have intellectual conversations. It comes with the geeky persona. Students are extremely competitive. And quite frankly I'd appreciate it if they wouldn't be. It sure does make it a hell of a lot harder for me to move up in rank. I'm Pre-Med. I spend a lot of time with professors. They're constantly answering my questions and being there for just overall moral support really. It's not easy. Is the education at TCU geared toward getting a job or learning for its own sake? Well, gee. Now that depends on who you ask. I make a C in my Biology class and my professor asks me, "Well, did you learn anything?" I said "Of course, I learned everything.. I just don't test well." He said "Well, then what does it matter what grade you get. As long as you learn, that's all that counts." I don't agree. Med Schools surely don't care if you "learned" anything if you didn't make an A in that Organic Chemistry class or Cell Biology.

They're all a bunch of snobby, rich kids.

Whitney

The best thing about TCU is that the university does not push religion on you. There are no required chapel services or more than one required religious class, but the great thing is that IF you seek out a relationship with God you will find people to help foster your desire. There is a very strong spiritual side of TCU students, but you have to desire to be a part of it-it won't be pushed on you. Also, the class sizes are wonderful. Faculty are great at helping students. The size is just right. You can walk around campus and know some friends, but you will never know everyone so its just the right level of familiarity. Fort Worth loves TCU and is very supportive of the college. There is not a whole lot of TCU pride, but its good enough to have a fun experience at football, basketball, and baseball games. The most frequent student complaints are about the food-which is being fixed, and the construction-which will be done. I also hear frequent complaints from those not involved in Greek like that TCU is too focused on Greeks and that the Greek system excludes those not involved.

I think that TCU definitely is a party school. That is the experience that I was faced with in my first two years. I don't know if it was just because I'm in the Greek or if all of TCU is like that, but it seems like all of TCU likes to party.

My professors all know my name. My favorite class was Major British Writers with Mona Narain. It was an amazing class. Class participation is common within the nursing program. I notice that other classes outside the nursing program have less participation. The most unique class I've taken was Rock to Back, which was awesome because we got to watch music videos and listen to music. I do spend time with my favorite professors outside of class. The professors are really good at creating appropriate relationships with their students, sometimes even willing to tutor is extra help is needed. I feel I am paying good money for my education. My professors really care about my success and I am going to be proud when I graduate from TCU.

I heard that TCU was a party school and all about the Greek life. Stereotypes are extremely prevalent within the Greek circle. Certain sororities and fraternities are known for different things.

Cody

TCU is a small campus, which is great because you get to meet a lot of new people. There are a lot of changes going on around campus: the new student union, new dorms and other ways the administration has decided to give our campus a face-lift. If you find where you fit in and get involved early on as a freshmen you will love attending TCU.

We are not a really diverse campus. Most people who attend TCU are middle to upper class white males and females. And it shows around campus everyday. I'm currently in summer school at TCU and I have been around the most diversity I have ever been around in my two years at TCU. I'm living next door to three African American track athletes. It is a new experience for me, especially because I'm use to living in the sorority house.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable around campus because I'm not a skinny, cookie cutter, sorority girl like most of the girls on campus. It does get overwhelming with so many girls in one place and so many of them are very judgmental. I've learned to look to my close friends when I feel insecure, but even then you need to have a strong sense of self so you don't get pulled in.

Not everyone at TCU is "rich"; however, TCU has a large population of students who's parents have a lot of money and are able to sent their children here without the help of a scholarship. It is true that a large population of TCU students are part of the Greek system. If you do not have a nitch ie Greek life or athletics, it is easy to hate TCU. Everyone pretty much dresses the same at TCU. The girls all carry Jon Hart and Vera Bradley.

The classes are hard; however, most teachers really do care about how you do in their class. My advice is work hard, stay on top of reading, ASK QUESTIONS. TCU requires a broad base of core classes be taken by each student upon graduation. This is a great way to find out what you really are interested in. I came to TCU as a New/Ed Journalism major. After my first year I added an English minor. The professor's in the English department were really helpful in making this decision and all want to help me succeed.

Going out on Thursday nights is usually a huge social event for the Greek community. Most people go to local bars, or clubs around campus. On the weekends there is always a party to go to (mostly thrown by members of the Greek community). Some students party Thursday-Saturday, but this mellows out as you get older and realize that you can't blow off a semester in college, because it will come back to get you!

Everyone is rich and goes Greek. The girls are blonde, rich, and bitchy. The guys are cocky, insensitive, and "fratty". If you aren't in the Greek system you will not have many friends, or have the opportunity to go to parties. TCU is not a diverse campus. Girls wear Nike running shorts, oversized t-shirts, boat shoes aka the shaker look. The guys wear Polo everything and pastel colored shorts, with croakies and loafers. Guys and girls t-shirts include "frockettes". Designer everything is everywhere. Jon Hart and Vera Bradley are a must have when you are a girl at TCU.

sally

when i tell people i go here, they almost laugh at how expensive it is because i am here to get an education degree-- which gives me back very little money. one thing i would change would be the cost! for the most part, i like the size. but sometimes i wish i went to a bigger school to i could meet and date more people. i feel school pride is just right. there are a variety of students with school pride-- some LOTS of pride, and some just enough. most of my time is spent in my apartment on campus... i rarely go to the library to study- but most students use the library to study.

i feel like most students here have a lot of money. i feel that the students that feel out of place are the ones who arent rich and are of a race other than white. most students wear polo shirts/nike workout shorts/big tshirts to class, of course complete with the jon hart bags. i, along with most others, notice that all of the black people know and hang out with each other. every time i see two on campus, they wave and talk... i swear they all know each other.

professors know your name and are personal with you-- i love that part of TCU. students study hard here-- the library is occupied all the time. class participation is very common. often it is part of the grade. in most of my classes, attendance is always part of the grade.

greek life is a must your freshman year at TCU. if you dont go through rush, you are looked down on. its pretty much the only way to make friends. sororities are very competetive between each other. people party almost every night of the week: tuesday, some wednesdays, thursday, friday, saturday. i have no idea what you can do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking... you can go out with your drunk friends and be the designated driver?

Shannon

TCU is a great school. It is a perfect size, the campus is gorgeous and the professors really care about you and your success. I may bitch about how ridiculous the students can be, but TCU will truly provide you with a fabulous education. Fort Worth is a really chill hang out place and it's not too far from Dallas, which is way better. If you're expecting to come to a school with loads of team pride, you are seriously mistaken. We have very talented athletes and a lot of number 1 teams, but TCU students are not "rah rah TCU" at all. Students always complain about parking, but I have never had a problem with it. If you want an education that will really push you, TCU is the place to go.

Most of them are too rich for their own good and don't know a good time if it hit them square in the face. If you are not involved in the Greek system you miss out on a good chunk of the TCU social life. I hate that. There is not much diversity on campus in terms of race, economic status, religion, politics and interests.

To a point, yes. There are a lot of students that have too much money and they don't know what to do with it. It seems like it is really important to look all made up for 8 am classes and, being a laid back Californian, I think that is ridiculous. Of course, there are the nice ones that are in the greek system. Not many though.

Professors know your name. There are some students who don't care at all and are disruptive in class, but some of the best discussions I have ever had came from my small classes. Most classes are small enough where you know everyone and so does the professor. I have had professors invite us over to their houses at the end of the semester. The English department is phenomenal!

Sororities and Fraternities. The end. There are sometimes really good guest speakers, but they are not publicized very well. TCU is not rich in tradition. There is not a lot to do that doesn't involve drinking unless you are willing to really search for it.

All the girls are sorority ditts and all the guys are overly rich frat boys. All these greeks are rich, snobby and a nuisance in class. Most of the student body is from Texas.

Leslie

the best thing about tcu is the professor to student ration. i would change rush to the spring semester so the incoming freshmen can learn about the greek throughout the first semester and get ahold of how college is run/study habits, etc. People joke that I'm a rich snob when they find out I attended TCU. I spent most of my time in the student center. definately a college town but it has so much to do! there is a TON of purple pride!!!!!!!!!! we bleed it. most frequent student complaints is that the tuition KEEPS going up!!

tcu is very diverse. maybe a student who is gay would feel out of place at tcu. i haven't met many. four tables of students: christians-those who pray before they eat and try and live in accordance with the lord's way. greek- but you'd find them at pond street; they talk about their drunken nights, shacking, meeting, or the next party. musicians- very eccentric, usually from Columbia african americans

most are true but you have a whole handful of different types of people. although, no the school is not well balanced. i have found that there are more wealthy families that the students come from than average families, many freshman and sophomore students "shack", and they basically need to emit christian from the school's name!

In the larger classes, it is important to introduce yourself and make a relationship with your professor. In the smaller classes, teachers know your name by the 2nd week. My favorite core class was Astronomy and it was also the hardest. My least favorite class was any class taken at night once a week. man those were long. students have intellectual conversations outside of class in their jr/sr year. i was an early childhood education major with an emphasis in special ed and i am now working on my masters in special ed at tcu. i hung out with some professors outside of class. once you get more into your major you really enjoy your professors, the classes youre taking, and your peers.

guys have to be in a frat to have a social life. girls don't, they're invited to everything. HIS helped me make christian friends and be a true follower of christ. students in dorm leave their doors open, most everyone is very friendly, especially freshmen. each year: homecoming, howdy week saturday night: go downtown, get dinner at billy miner's, walk around, go to four day weekend comedy club, see a movie, get icecream

stuck up, rich, sexually easy, not crhistians

Meaghan

TCU is not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting something more focused on faith and finding our place in the world and with God, but it certainly isn't that. The only religious aspect of TCU is that you are required to take three hours of religion classes (aka ONE semester class). So, if I could change one thing about TCU, well at least the first thing on my list would be to make it more Christian, to go along with its' name. I like the size of TCU because it feels a lot different and bigger than high school but you still have the opportunity to approach your professors and get to know them a little bit, which is always a good thing! I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room or in my sorority house. Most of the time when I tell people that I go to TCU, they react by saying "That is such a great school, etc." The reaction is mostly positive. There isn't a lot of school pride, at least for a college in Texas where school pride is a big deal. I think the biggest controversy and complaint from most studets lately is the new meal plan for next year, it's completely ridiculous. The administration is very money hungry and will do almost anything to get money out of you. One good thing about TCU is that it's close to downtown Fort Worth and the historic Stock Yards, which can be a lot of fun.

TCU advertises itself as a very diverse student body, but it is mostly white, middle to upper class. There are also a lot more girls than guys. Most TCU students are from somewhere in Texas or in the south. Most students where shorts and T-shirts to class. Studenst are mostly politically aware

I have thought about transferring a lot throughout my freshman year, but I have decided to stay because of the academic programs, some of them have really good reputations and are held in high esteem.

For some people, yeah absolutely. There are a lot of down to earth people too.

The academics at TCU are for the most part really good. There are some bad professors who shouldn't be teaching in college but there are also some really amazing professors, especially in the College of Education. Students are very competitive. I would say that the education at TCU is focused on both getting a job and learning for the sake of learning. People study a lot and most professors know your name, except in larger lecture classes.

My social life in college has come from my sorority. That is where I met most of my friends. TCU has a HUGE greek community which means people party a LOT. Fraternities and sororites are very important to having a social life at TCU. You can go to the parties and not drink and you can find people who don't do that at all. And there is always the random trips to Ol' South or Fuzzies in the middle of the night.

That we are snobby and spoiled.

Alex

TCU has a great size. It is small enough to have individual attention but is large enough to compete with big state schools in sports and other arenas. On campus I spend most of my time in the music building but I also spend large amounts of time in the rec and in the library. The administration does mostly a good job. They seem to be very focused on TCU in the future. There has been almost constant construction on campus and many programs have been made for new students. It seems like the administration does not really care about the students that are here now. I will always remember TCU football beating OU. The most frequent student complaint is about the raising tuition. Baylor has a tuition lock program that we should definitely look into.

The student body has become more diverse since my freshman year. The majority of students are well off republican white teenagers and early 20 year olds. But it seems that there are more coming to TCU who do not fit in that mold.

Somewhat, there are accurate when it comes to people in certain majors. But with fine arts, education, nursing, and some others the student do not seem to be in the stereotype

Academics at TCU are pretty good. The classes are challenging but not impossible. The classes are a good size. You are able to get individual attention.

The are rich. They have parents who pay for everything and do not know what it is like to work. They are fratastic. TCU students are attractive.

claire

Fort Worth is a great place to live....its a college town but theres also so much more here if you want to escape that scene....there is the stockyards, downtown, and the art district! Not to mention your 30 minutes away from the big city of dallas and the campus is small and a perfect size!

Everyone is friendly, well rouded, and from nice familys!

Somewhat!?! But for the most part everyone has been super nice, and ive found my best friends here!

I think its hard because the classes are so small.....but its nice because you really get to know the people in your classes and its especially nice because you can contact your teachers!

If you want to have a good time, you can always find a party to go to or a local bar! You wont be bored! And if you dont party- Fort Worth will keep you entertained!

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.