Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Alex

TCU is the friendliest university; everyone is helpful. The mission statement (to educate ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community) is pushed in every class and activity. I think this is the best part of TCU. The events on campus are awesome...especially the lectures. The free food after major university events is awesome. Another awesome part about TCU is how many students study abroad. TCU really pushes study abroad and has many opportunities for students. They are phenomenal! Living on campus and the meal plan are ridiculously expensive. It is much cheaper to live off campus, but the University won't let you for the first two years. The construction sucks. Parking is horrible. Tuition goes up about 8% every year (expect to pay 32% more your senior year than you did as a freshman) and scholarships don't increase.

I have always thought that it would be hard to be anything other than a WASP who is straight at TCU. Every time you turn around someone is inviting you to a Bible study. I think that many people with this type of background aren't as challenged at TCU because there are so many other people that agree with them. Prejudice is evident on campus. Minority students are often assumed to be athletes. However, different groups (especially LGBT, international students, Hispanic students, and Asian students) have small tight-knit communities. I was sad that nobody ever wore pajamas to class. What people wear to class depends on your major. Business students stereotypically wear designer clothes. Students in Harris College usually wear jeans and T-shirts. Four tables in the dining room: athletes, sorority, fraternity, other. Most TCU students are from Texas, especially the DFW area. Most of them are upper-middle class or upper-class (except Honors students and athletes). Most students at TCU hope to make a lot of money when they graduate, because we spend so much money to go here.

TCU creates phenomenal people. My best experiences have been the things that I went after (study abroad, Leadership Center activities, Model United Nations). Sometimes I am frustrated when I feel that most TCU students are shallow. Then, I remember that, by the time they graduate, we are "ready to change the world." Sometimes I am frustrated with how the University seems to always be getting money out of us and out of it's property without considering the students (tearing down a parking lot for an oil well).

For freshmen, yes. But by the time everyone is a senior, they have truly become more "ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community."

I have never had a professor who didn't know my name within the first two weeks. All of the classes that I have taken have really emphasized how I can be "an ethical leader and responsible citizen in the global community." The first two years of TCU are very "liberal arts" orriented, especially if you are in the Honors Program. You take a lot of classes to satisfy "The Core." The classes are fascinating if you don't get too focused on your major right away. The Harris College and the Social Work program are awesome. Professors will push you, but also support you. Students in each department of Harris College are a tight community. In Social Work, we have two or three luncheons at professors' houses. We often drop by just to say "hi" to our professors. They often know about our personal lives. They are very willing to help us plan for our futures.

Many people are Greek. Freshman year it feels like everybody rushes and pledges. Freshman year, if you aren't Greek, it feels like you are the only one who isn't. It gets easier for non-Greeks second year. A large part of my life Freshman year was my dorm hall. I lived in the Honors triples. We spent all of our time in the hall because we didn't want to be crammed in our room with our room mates. It was loud. I could never sleep. That sucked. But, the community rocked. Football is a big deal. My favorite events were theatre and special lecturers. My freshman year Ben Stein came to campus. Dating scene is much easier if you are Greek. I wasn't. I never dated anyone at TCU. The typical TCU guy wasn't my type. I was involved in many off-campus activities where I would meet the guys I dated. The metroplex has many colleges, so it is easy to find students from other schools. My closest friends I met through Frog Camp Quest (such an amazing bonding experience!), my major, and Leadership Center trips abroad. Greeks stereotypically have a lot of parties. I never partied. It wasn't my scene. Most late nights, my hall would have a movie night, or we would invent a game to play in the hall. When I moved off campus, I spent a lot of time at coffee houses with friends and at people's houses watching movies.

Rich, selfish, super-conservative, materialistic, Greek, party kids.

christine

Love TCU. I love the small school environment and the campus is beautiful. One thing I would change are the boys. Not cute especially considering there are so many pretty girls

mostly caucasian and christian and conservative. most students wear jeans and a tshit from their sorority/fraternity. students are well off financially

if youre looking for a small school that is absolutely beautiful, TCU is perfect. Students are smart and driven towards success. Perfect balance of social and academic. Coming from out of state it was easy to make it home, especially joining a sorority. Being a part of a sorority at TCU has made my experience what it is. i recommend for all incoming freshmen to join a fraternity or sorority

pretty much. i love it, but the boys are way too fratty and all wear pastels and the girls all wear nike shorts and big tshirts. most people have money and are from the south

Close relationships with professors, small classes, professors all easily accessable outside of class. lots of studying for tests but varies class to class.

dont go to TCU if you are against fraternities and sororities. they dominate the social environment and are wonderful to get involved in. closest friends from sorority but interact with everyone, sororities not exclusive

Dan

I'd have to say that I spend the majority of my time while on the TCU campus at the library; it has a wide variety of research resources and a very large computer workstation area accessible to the student population. It is my primary location to sit and complete my studies, as the atmosphere is very conducive to concentrating on school work.

No, TCU has made both me and my wife feel welcome after we have returned to school years later and has many programs available to assist those in need of financial assistance. At times it seems that TCU caters more towards those students living on campus, but that is to be expected as they have a greater reliability on the programs offered by the school.

The Geology Department is great; its a relatively small program, especially compared to the Neally Business School, but the classes are just the right size to learn and converse with the instructors. All the facility of the Geology Department learned my name within the first year, even before I had taken any classes with some of them. The professors will take the time both in and out of class to explain and work with you pertaining to any question, comments, or concerns you may have. The work is hard, but rewarding; and the classes are taught in a manner that encourages continued learning.

I don't have a lot of time to participate in activities and social events, but I do make a point of going to as many football games as I can and cheering on the Horned Frogs in their march down the field. The tailgate parties outside the stadium are quite an event that encourage team spirit and comraderie.

TCU is only for "rich-kids" and only worried about students directly out of high school.

Blake

The Christmas Tree Lighting is the best!!

The Christmas Tree Lighting is the best!!

Much more variety than you would expect.

Charlie

The best thing about TCU would be the professors--after 1 year i've only had 1 professor who i couldn't stand as a teacher, all the professors try really hard to give the best learning experience possible The major crisis this year was the new food plan and the changes came as a surprise that no one wanted and even though it's a change and doesn't seem to meet all the requirements of the students, the residential services people really did try

Most TCU students are from Texas, especially the Metroplex area but speaking as someone who comes from out of state there are always people who are more than willing to share the Texas way of doing things

Lots of really smart/weathy people but lots who aren't yeah, about half the school is Greek but they still hang with the nonGreek half

Most of the professors put great stock in learning the names of their students as quickly as possible, I even had a professor who learned a 50+ class roster of names after one class

There is always something to do on campus, a week doesn't go by when there is not something University sponsered that is either free to students or very cheap that if someone is so enclined they could be busy all the time

Rich smart kids who have parents money to do with as they please and everyone is in the Greek system

TCU is thought of as a really great school to many. It is an exciting place to go. It is a cozy college with a prestigious feel. The professors are awesome! Everything is taught in a manner that ignites curiousity and involvment among all. There's just enought to do around campus to give it that college town feel (i.e. you can walk pretty much anywhere you need to go); however, the city of Fort Worth as a whole can also provide a comforting feeling much like home while offering a diverse range of activities and sights.

I do not live on campus or intereract with alot of the students simply because I am older and a mother although I do have my share of friends at TCU and while TCU is not the most diverse school out there I have yet to come across any discrimination from anyone. I have noticed a large realm of acceptance for all views and beliefs within my classes.

All in all I would have to say that if you are having any doubts come check out campus for a day. Attend a class, talk to some students. I don't think you can do those things without realizing what a wonderful institution TCU is. I have loved it since my first day and am proud to say I go there.

Not at all! Though this stereotype exists at TCU it is not the majority by any stretch. As a matter of fact I have met some of the most independent, friendly, unique and intelligent students during my time at TCU.

Academics at TCU are beyond the bar. The professors are accessible, the students are eager, and the topics are lively. I am in the English department and just this semester I had a professor invite our class to his home for an end of semester get together where we met his wife and baby and had some great food and conversation. All of my professors have possessed unique techniques and all have been inspiring whether I am in an English class or a Science I am usually consumed with what my professor has to say.

I do not know alot about this topic, as I said before I am a single mother and my life outside of classes is quite full! But I will say that I am always aware of some event or another that is taking place on campus and if I was not already busy I would love to attend most the things I come across.

I think alot of people assume they are going to run into a large crowd of pampered, unappreciative, right winged kids at TCU.

Jamie

The size is great, being close to Fort Worth is awesome. The entire community is really supportive of TCU and a large percentage of TCU alumni remain in Fort Worth. Besides football the school lacks spirit. The library is a fun place to study with friends and the campus is absolutely beautiful.

TCU lacks diversity. The campus is extremely segregated. The LGBT students have a club but are widely ignored. Most all students are upper class. Greek life is HUGE. The Republican party is huge on campus but the democratic club has about seven active members.

If a student is looking for diversity and the chance to explore themselves and the world TCU is not the place for them. TCU is for students looking for other students who look and act just like them and for those who have or want to act like they have a lot of money. I love the academics at TCU but I hate the social side. I know a lot of people but no one has taken the time to get to know me as a person. Just the brand name bag I carry.

The academics at TCU are great. The class sizes are small so your professors always get to know you. All of my classes in the political science and anthropology department have been excellent. One of the most unique classes would be sex, gender, and culture in anthropology and feminist international relations in the political science department.

If you arn't greek you don't have any friends. Even though i was in a sorority, it hate the greek system.

rich, stuck up, everyone dresses the same, all about brand names, conservative, racist, upper class, non-mainstream ideas not accepted

The Best thing about TCU is it's small size. I applied all over the nation, because I wanted to get away from home. I didn't care if the campus was a building or a city, as long as it had lacrosse and Graphic Design. When I came to visit, the size was perfect, the teachers I met(even ones that weren't on the scheduled tour) were really nice. I knew I belonged here. The small size has it's pros and cons. The most obvious is EVERYONE is a true Horned Frog. I came from Longhorn Country, so seeing a campus with just as much pride in its colors as UT was awesome. You can buy anything from T-shirts to TCU trailer hitch covers. Another piece of TCU greatness is Send Home. Yes most TCU student are spoiled rich kids, and I like to think I'm one of them. Send Home is simple, swipe your ID at the cash register, it goes on a bill, at the end of the month, the total price is sent home for your parents to pay. This applies to everything in the bookstore (books, clothes, school supplies, gift cards, video games, etc.), club sports dues, parking fines, everything that isn't on the meal card. Now for the Cons. I love lacrosse, and I will play until the day I die. When looking at schools, I wanted to go to a school with a great lacrosse team. TCU is not one of those. Three reasons. 1. TCU lacrosse is not NCAA, so we don't attract the best players 2. It is new around campus, so until this past season, many students didn't know it existed 3. TCU is a small school (Yes it is the best thing about TCU, but with everything good, there is a negative opposite), so even if every student knew about the lacrosse team, we don't have enough players to have try-outs and take it as seriously as we need to in order to beat top national teams. I know, because I literally just got back from the MCLA (Mens Collegiate Lacrosse Association, TCU is in the Lone Star Alliance Conference) championship quarterfinals, and these teams are from big schools, which means that attract top players from across the nation, are able to hold tryouts to have a big team full of great players, and they are able to take the game seriously without the risk of loosing players. One of the largest problems on campus is parking. I know plenty of campuses around the US have this problem, but ours is irrational. They just knocked down the main parking lot that could hold over a hundred cars to build four new dorms. This means more students, less parking. Another problem, depending on where you live, decides where you can park. For instance, if you live off campus, you can only park by the academic buildings, and in a parking lot right by the rec center. If you live on main campus, there is a small parking lot by the basketball stadium and a tiny one by the rec center. If you are like me, and live in the Greek (which is a 20 minute walk from all the classes), you can only park in the Greek. Problem 3, parking fines are outrageous. The minimum is $50, and you don't get towed, they just keep giving you more and more. some are $100. TCU is literally taking away parking, specifically because it forces students to park in spaces they don't have a permit for (greek in main campus, commuter in Greek, etc.). TCU has a savings of over $1 Billion dollars, and they can't afford to build a couple parking structures? As you may know, Fort worth is called Cow Town. If you go to the Stockyards, that is a fair statement, but the rest of the city is a dump. It's no Bronx, but it could use a broom. I think because UT and A&M are so dominant colleges, those are really the only schools I see stuff for. So is Fort worth a college town? Yes. For TCU, not so much? The Greek. If you have seen the show on ABC family, turn the houses into dorm style, and you have a pretty accurate view on greek life at TCU. Each Fraternity and Sorority has a different story, from the snobby SAE's to the Drama Queen Sigma Phi Epsilon's, or the "overly charismatic" DG's (If you know what I mean) to the top shelf Chi O's. TCU student's may only be 40% greek, but if you aren't greek, everyone knows, because it is so powerful on campus. An experience I will always remember is pledgeship for my fraternity. I won't go into detail, but it was tough. I learned a lot about life, how to handle any situation, and I met great people along the way. I won't forget it, and I hope my future son's pledgeship is as memorable as mine.

I think that racial, religious, and sexual preferences are not a big deal around campus. Everywhere I go, I see people of all backgrounds hanging out together. I would say the only person that would feel out of place is the person that wants to feel out of place. TCU may have a lot of snobby kids, but there IS a place for everyone. Clothing style is easy to spot. All girls wear those Nike shorts that are very popular these days, and North Face jackets are very common as well. Students that are greek are almost always wearing their letters, me included, and non greek typically wear TCU gear. One of TCU's big sponsors in Under Armor, so a lot of the clothes at the bookstore have the symbol on them, so that is another thing you'll see around campus frequently. Dining tables: 1)basketball players 2)football players 3)greek students 4)non greek students Most TCU students come from rich backgrounds, but TCU offers a lot of financial aid, so it is not uncommon to run into someone putting themselves through school, even at $34,000 a year. I try to stay away from politics, but the school newspaper keeps up with the races, so I at least have an idea of what is going on, as do most other students. If you were to have a conversation with a student about money, as long as they aren't a business major (they always think they will be millionaires one day), they will probably say they have no idea what they will make.

If TCU lacrosse is more popular than some of the NCAA sports there, TCU needs to rethink who they give money to.

Unlike my high school, where if you weren't in all honors you didn't get much of an education, TCU is hard. I'm a graphic designer, which means 3 nights of sleep a week, working on countless projects. If I have time I study for my core or business minor classes, and hope I do well on them. My favorite class was 3-D Design. We got to Braze (similar to welding), build with all sorts of different materials, and the projects were very interesting, such as building a 1:12 scale model of a fishing lure. In the graphic design program, it is very competitive, because only 15 people get into the school per year. I have heard other programs are nearly as competitive as well. TCU's core curriculum is well done in the sense that it is in categories. You have to take a certain number of hours, but gives you a long list of different classes that meet that requirement. However, you never know if a teacher is impossible or really easy, so your GPA could get a rocket boost, or torpedoed. I think that before the +/- system was enabled, students cared more about what they learned, rather than taking the easiest classes to get the better grades. I don't spend much time with my teachers outside of class, but when I do go in, they are usually open and easy to get along with.

Most popular organizations: 1. Greek 2. Football 3. Student Government Football is huge on campus, mainly because they win. No one goes to games of any of the other NCAA sports. More people come to TCU club lacrosse games then most other sports. The dating scene is great, because there is a very large abundance of gorgeous girls, it is easy to find a beautiful AND nice girl. The problem is building the guts to talking to her, but once you are past that, it gets much easier. My closest friends are my fraternity brothers and lacrosse teammates. If I am awake at 2 am on a tuesday, I am working on a project. Popular events each year are the Greek Games, all the greek philanthropies, and annual greek parties. For non greek students, I have not heard of anything special that happens. TCU is no Florida or Ut, but you can find a party every night, and on Fridays and Saturdays, a couple Fraternities and Sororities will likely have an organized party. I don't drink, so I can answer this question. Something sober to do on Saturday night, go to a party and not drink, hang out at Sundance Square Downtown, play video games, or leave Ft Worth entirely, that's about it. Off Campus, there are plenty of theaters, you can go to Main Event, Botanical Gardens, Stockyards, Sundance Square, Winstar Casino past the Oklahoma Border, paintball, golf, there are two good malls nearby, campus food sucks, so if you don't want your stomach to implode I'd recommend leaving, Rangers Baseball games, Six Flags, Cowboys games, Hurricane Harbor, Softball league, and much much more (as you head toward Dallas).

Rich White Kids. Very hot girls (true). Everyone is snobby (not true, but there are plenty of spoiled kids).

TCU is an all around great school! You have the comfort of a smaller community but, you are only 30 minutes away from Dallas. The area around TCU is quite wealthy so it makes the campus alot safer. Most of my time spent on campus is on the academic side of campus, however I do spend a good amount of time and the Main. I feel that TCU's administration adheres to the wishes of it's students while still maintaining a sense of legitimacy. Tons of school pride!!! PURPLE all the way baby! Most frequent student complaints would probably be parking, but it is usually due to laziness rather than lack of spaces.

I went to a very diverse high school so to me TCU does not seem very diverse, but I have a skewed sense of what the word diverse means. There are many different ethinicities and religious affiliations represented at TCU. It is a very accepting campus. It is a very wealthy school so if you are not able to get past designer labels and expensive cars, then TCU is not the place for you. However, everybody knows everybody. Most TCU students are from Texas and I think 1/3 of the student body is from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Students on campus are very politically aware. Obama came to Fort Worth and I think half of TCU showed up. The most active polical affiliation on campus would definately be left wings, but rights also have a strong voice on campus.

TCU is a great school! I would encourage any potential student to come visit the campus because alot of what makes TCU is in the interactions between its students and buildings and faculty!!!

A large portion of the campus is involved in Greek life, but there are plenty of other opportunities to get involved on campus. You will meet lots of people who are involved in a variety of things that you are not!

Professors will know your name! I was in a geology class with 90 students and the professor knew all of our names. My favorite class so far has been Environmental Science and my least favorite class has definately been MicroEconomics. It depends on the student how often they study, but I do not know one person who has NEVER studied. Class participation is usually encouraged. TCU professors are usually very chill and encourage questions and comments that stimulate discussion. Most unique class I have taken was a Freshman English Seminar that dealt with Nature/Environmentalist writers. I am an International Economics major which fall under the AdRan College at TCU. An regular Economics degree from TCU is considered a BS, however and International Economics degree is considered a BA, so four semesters of a foreign language is required. TCU is all about preparing you for what you will encounter in the real world. For example, the Neely School of Business looks like a corporate office, and most of the class rooms are set up like board rooms.

Greek life is definately the most prevalent organizations on campus. I rushed but decided that sorority was not for me! I actually am a YoungLife leader at a local Fort Worth high school! Dorms are very friendly but I think that you meet most of your friends in class or in an organization you are involved in! Football and Baseball are the most well attended athletic events at TCU! If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am, then I am probably at my fellow YoungLife leaders house playing Mafia or PicturePhone! People party alot at TCU but I think that there are other opportunities to have a good time if that is not your thing! On Saturday nights, alot of people go to the Aardvark, which is a night club, but they always have awesome bands. They are pretty strict about underage drinking so for me it is just a fun place to dance and listen to great music!

Everyone participates in Greek Life It is cliquey It is a very wealthy school Lots of partying

Julie

TCU is the perfect size. The campus is beautiful and you can get just about anywhere in 10 minutes. The class sizes are just right, and many of the professors know your name and take the time to get to know you. You often see people you know just walking anywhere on campus, but its big enough to where you'll never even be anywhere near knowing everyone. The one thing I would change is parking, because there is not enough of it. I would want them to add a parking garage. When I tell people I go to TCU, most adults say "good school!" or seem impressed. Few people seem to have a negative opinion of it. The most frequent student complaints are about parking and the meal plan. There is a lot of pride on our campus... on game days, all you see is purple everywhere!

TCU has predominantly white students, but there is a good representation of many races and ethnicities. When I look around, I do see diversity. I feel like there is a place for everyone to fit in at TCU. Most students wear casual clothing to class, such as athletic shorts or jeans and T-shirts. Some girls will dress up in nice clothes and heels and some guys wear polos, but overall the style in classes is very casual. Most TCU students are from Texas, with a lot of them coming from the DFW area. However, I have plenty of friends who are from other states as far away as California or Nebraska. I also have friends who go to TCU from other countries.

I love TCU! I feel like it gives students a well-rounded education and provides a lot of options for activities and fun. It's located in a great city and is just the right size to prevent getting lost and becoming just another student. Go Frogs!

No. Although there are some students that match this description, there are a variety of students at TCU. Many of them are not rich or stuck-up at all, and there are a variety of personalities & people with different interests. There are many people who have fun in other ways besides partying.

Most of my professors know my name, and if they dont, they usually still recognize me if I see them outside of class. The education at TCU combines learning your particular major with a broad knowledge of many areas of study. Students are required to complete classes for the "core" curriculum, which enables us to take many classes in different subjects. I think it gives us a well-rounded education no matter what career we pursue. The classes are also designed to make us think, question, and analyze. Even if we dont agree with what the professor thinks necessarily, we are still learning and questioning.

I'm involved with the TCU Marching Band (Colorguard), which performs at all the football games. It was the perfect activity to meet a lot of people and have instant connections. I met three of my best friends through band. I also joined Tau Beta Sigma, the national honorary music service sorority. I love the service projects we do and the emphasis on music. We also do many of the same social activities as a social sorority. I also have such a close bond with all the girls in it.

That everyone is rich and stuck-up, or that everyone likes to party or is in a social sorority/fraternity

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.