Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Shannon

TCU is a great school. It is a perfect size, the campus is gorgeous and the professors really care about you and your success. I may bitch about how ridiculous the students can be, but TCU will truly provide you with a fabulous education. Fort Worth is a really chill hang out place and it's not too far from Dallas, which is way better. If you're expecting to come to a school with loads of team pride, you are seriously mistaken. We have very talented athletes and a lot of number 1 teams, but TCU students are not "rah rah TCU" at all. Students always complain about parking, but I have never had a problem with it. If you want an education that will really push you, TCU is the place to go.

Most of them are too rich for their own good and don't know a good time if it hit them square in the face. If you are not involved in the Greek system you miss out on a good chunk of the TCU social life. I hate that. There is not much diversity on campus in terms of race, economic status, religion, politics and interests.

To a point, yes. There are a lot of students that have too much money and they don't know what to do with it. It seems like it is really important to look all made up for 8 am classes and, being a laid back Californian, I think that is ridiculous. Of course, there are the nice ones that are in the greek system. Not many though.

Professors know your name. There are some students who don't care at all and are disruptive in class, but some of the best discussions I have ever had came from my small classes. Most classes are small enough where you know everyone and so does the professor. I have had professors invite us over to their houses at the end of the semester. The English department is phenomenal!

Sororities and Fraternities. The end. There are sometimes really good guest speakers, but they are not publicized very well. TCU is not rich in tradition. There is not a lot to do that doesn't involve drinking unless you are willing to really search for it.

All the girls are sorority ditts and all the guys are overly rich frat boys. All these greeks are rich, snobby and a nuisance in class. Most of the student body is from Texas.

Leslie

the best thing about tcu is the professor to student ration. i would change rush to the spring semester so the incoming freshmen can learn about the greek throughout the first semester and get ahold of how college is run/study habits, etc. People joke that I'm a rich snob when they find out I attended TCU. I spent most of my time in the student center. definately a college town but it has so much to do! there is a TON of purple pride!!!!!!!!!! we bleed it. most frequent student complaints is that the tuition KEEPS going up!!

tcu is very diverse. maybe a student who is gay would feel out of place at tcu. i haven't met many. four tables of students: christians-those who pray before they eat and try and live in accordance with the lord's way. greek- but you'd find them at pond street; they talk about their drunken nights, shacking, meeting, or the next party. musicians- very eccentric, usually from Columbia african americans

most are true but you have a whole handful of different types of people. although, no the school is not well balanced. i have found that there are more wealthy families that the students come from than average families, many freshman and sophomore students "shack", and they basically need to emit christian from the school's name!

In the larger classes, it is important to introduce yourself and make a relationship with your professor. In the smaller classes, teachers know your name by the 2nd week. My favorite core class was Astronomy and it was also the hardest. My least favorite class was any class taken at night once a week. man those were long. students have intellectual conversations outside of class in their jr/sr year. i was an early childhood education major with an emphasis in special ed and i am now working on my masters in special ed at tcu. i hung out with some professors outside of class. once you get more into your major you really enjoy your professors, the classes youre taking, and your peers.

guys have to be in a frat to have a social life. girls don't, they're invited to everything. HIS helped me make christian friends and be a true follower of christ. students in dorm leave their doors open, most everyone is very friendly, especially freshmen. each year: homecoming, howdy week saturday night: go downtown, get dinner at billy miner's, walk around, go to four day weekend comedy club, see a movie, get icecream

stuck up, rich, sexually easy, not crhistians

Meaghan

TCU is not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting something more focused on faith and finding our place in the world and with God, but it certainly isn't that. The only religious aspect of TCU is that you are required to take three hours of religion classes (aka ONE semester class). So, if I could change one thing about TCU, well at least the first thing on my list would be to make it more Christian, to go along with its' name. I like the size of TCU because it feels a lot different and bigger than high school but you still have the opportunity to approach your professors and get to know them a little bit, which is always a good thing! I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room or in my sorority house. Most of the time when I tell people that I go to TCU, they react by saying "That is such a great school, etc." The reaction is mostly positive. There isn't a lot of school pride, at least for a college in Texas where school pride is a big deal. I think the biggest controversy and complaint from most studets lately is the new meal plan for next year, it's completely ridiculous. The administration is very money hungry and will do almost anything to get money out of you. One good thing about TCU is that it's close to downtown Fort Worth and the historic Stock Yards, which can be a lot of fun.

TCU advertises itself as a very diverse student body, but it is mostly white, middle to upper class. There are also a lot more girls than guys. Most TCU students are from somewhere in Texas or in the south. Most students where shorts and T-shirts to class. Studenst are mostly politically aware

I have thought about transferring a lot throughout my freshman year, but I have decided to stay because of the academic programs, some of them have really good reputations and are held in high esteem.

For some people, yeah absolutely. There are a lot of down to earth people too.

The academics at TCU are for the most part really good. There are some bad professors who shouldn't be teaching in college but there are also some really amazing professors, especially in the College of Education. Students are very competitive. I would say that the education at TCU is focused on both getting a job and learning for the sake of learning. People study a lot and most professors know your name, except in larger lecture classes.

My social life in college has come from my sorority. That is where I met most of my friends. TCU has a HUGE greek community which means people party a LOT. Fraternities and sororites are very important to having a social life at TCU. You can go to the parties and not drink and you can find people who don't do that at all. And there is always the random trips to Ol' South or Fuzzies in the middle of the night.

That we are snobby and spoiled.

Alex

TCU has a great size. It is small enough to have individual attention but is large enough to compete with big state schools in sports and other arenas. On campus I spend most of my time in the music building but I also spend large amounts of time in the rec and in the library. The administration does mostly a good job. They seem to be very focused on TCU in the future. There has been almost constant construction on campus and many programs have been made for new students. It seems like the administration does not really care about the students that are here now. I will always remember TCU football beating OU. The most frequent student complaint is about the raising tuition. Baylor has a tuition lock program that we should definitely look into.

The student body has become more diverse since my freshman year. The majority of students are well off republican white teenagers and early 20 year olds. But it seems that there are more coming to TCU who do not fit in that mold.

Somewhat, there are accurate when it comes to people in certain majors. But with fine arts, education, nursing, and some others the student do not seem to be in the stereotype

Academics at TCU are pretty good. The classes are challenging but not impossible. The classes are a good size. You are able to get individual attention.

The are rich. They have parents who pay for everything and do not know what it is like to work. They are fratastic. TCU students are attractive.

claire

Fort Worth is a great place to live....its a college town but theres also so much more here if you want to escape that scene....there is the stockyards, downtown, and the art district! Not to mention your 30 minutes away from the big city of dallas and the campus is small and a perfect size!

Everyone is friendly, well rouded, and from nice familys!

Somewhat!?! But for the most part everyone has been super nice, and ive found my best friends here!

I think its hard because the classes are so small.....but its nice because you really get to know the people in your classes and its especially nice because you can contact your teachers!

If you want to have a good time, you can always find a party to go to or a local bar! You wont be bored! And if you dont party- Fort Worth will keep you entertained!

Julie

horrible parking situation. always under construction. large greek community.

horrible parking situation. always under construction. large greek community.

generally wealthy kids. big greek impact. a lot of highly motivated students.

small, more personal classes. good professors (for the most part). well rounded.

lots of girls, less amount of guys. very large greek impact. tuesday nights at the aardvark. lame TABC controlled tailgates. lots of parties. meet best friends in sorority.

Justin

TCU is an awesom place to be. The student body is full of people who do really care about social issues. Sometimes they care too much. It seems like every week we have some social justince awareness event which is awesome but it looses it's effectiveness after the 6th week in a row. The college is growing a ton! We just finished building 4 new dorms, a new student center, and renovating 2 buildings. One will stay a dorm, the other will house offices for University Ministries and fraternity things.

In general TCU students do not have school pride. Our athletics teams are good enough to draw some support but the fair weather fans of the school love to turn their backs when we loose a game. Another issue I would change is that people wear apparell from other colleges around campus frequently. I want to start yellling at them and throwing stuff at them for wearing a UT shirt or an A&M shirt on TCU's campus! You cannot get away with that at a big 12 school! The cool thing is to dress fratty. even those who are not is frats dress the part. The body is overwhelmingly white, the running joke is that if there is a minority around, they play sports, and that is honestly true. There are all kinds of religious views and political stancecs. Everyone can find a place for themselves in those reguards.

I love TCU. I would get rid of fratty steriotype if I could and i would encourage more of the small town crowd to come to the school becaues they would love Fort Worth. The city is awesom, its as diverse as i have ever seen. There is the Stock Yards, The uptown living with a awesom downtown. There is open pastures, lakes, wildlife, and tons more around. And you dont even have to go to Dallas to do any of it!

For about 60% of the campus yes. There are a lot of greeks who are stuck up rich kids and they know it and they flaunt it. For the rest of us, we are hard working people who came from hard working red blooded american families. We appreciate the chance to further our lives and become something that we could not have otherwise.

Academics at TCU are no joke. You actually have to care about your classes. The positive side is that the classes are small, so if you have a question you can feel comfortable asking it. Also, the faculity is very good about office hours and working around your schedule if you need to meet with them. I have used this many times and it has helped me out a lot.

Frats and sororities are very big! There is plenty to do if you are not apart of those groups tho. There are many organizations. One that I am involved in is Disciples on Campus. TCU is affiliated with The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), as a result of that there is a small hoard of Disciples students at TCU. We have a group with a paid faculity member and we meet every thursday evening for free food and an event like a game, discussion, worship, speeker, or just to hang out. We are always open and encouraging to non-disciple students and close to half of our regular attendies are non-disciples. This is an amazing group and it has provided me with a way to lead and be involved.

That they are all stuck up rich people with Daddys money. They are all snooty and look down at people that are lesser then them.

Alex

TCU is the friendliest university; everyone is helpful. The mission statement (to educate ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community) is pushed in every class and activity. I think this is the best part of TCU. The events on campus are awesome...especially the lectures. The free food after major university events is awesome. Another awesome part about TCU is how many students study abroad. TCU really pushes study abroad and has many opportunities for students. They are phenomenal! Living on campus and the meal plan are ridiculously expensive. It is much cheaper to live off campus, but the University won't let you for the first two years. The construction sucks. Parking is horrible. Tuition goes up about 8% every year (expect to pay 32% more your senior year than you did as a freshman) and scholarships don't increase.

I have always thought that it would be hard to be anything other than a WASP who is straight at TCU. Every time you turn around someone is inviting you to a Bible study. I think that many people with this type of background aren't as challenged at TCU because there are so many other people that agree with them. Prejudice is evident on campus. Minority students are often assumed to be athletes. However, different groups (especially LGBT, international students, Hispanic students, and Asian students) have small tight-knit communities. I was sad that nobody ever wore pajamas to class. What people wear to class depends on your major. Business students stereotypically wear designer clothes. Students in Harris College usually wear jeans and T-shirts. Four tables in the dining room: athletes, sorority, fraternity, other. Most TCU students are from Texas, especially the DFW area. Most of them are upper-middle class or upper-class (except Honors students and athletes). Most students at TCU hope to make a lot of money when they graduate, because we spend so much money to go here.

TCU creates phenomenal people. My best experiences have been the things that I went after (study abroad, Leadership Center activities, Model United Nations). Sometimes I am frustrated when I feel that most TCU students are shallow. Then, I remember that, by the time they graduate, we are "ready to change the world." Sometimes I am frustrated with how the University seems to always be getting money out of us and out of it's property without considering the students (tearing down a parking lot for an oil well).

For freshmen, yes. But by the time everyone is a senior, they have truly become more "ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community."

I have never had a professor who didn't know my name within the first two weeks. All of the classes that I have taken have really emphasized how I can be "an ethical leader and responsible citizen in the global community." The first two years of TCU are very "liberal arts" orriented, especially if you are in the Honors Program. You take a lot of classes to satisfy "The Core." The classes are fascinating if you don't get too focused on your major right away. The Harris College and the Social Work program are awesome. Professors will push you, but also support you. Students in each department of Harris College are a tight community. In Social Work, we have two or three luncheons at professors' houses. We often drop by just to say "hi" to our professors. They often know about our personal lives. They are very willing to help us plan for our futures.

Many people are Greek. Freshman year it feels like everybody rushes and pledges. Freshman year, if you aren't Greek, it feels like you are the only one who isn't. It gets easier for non-Greeks second year. A large part of my life Freshman year was my dorm hall. I lived in the Honors triples. We spent all of our time in the hall because we didn't want to be crammed in our room with our room mates. It was loud. I could never sleep. That sucked. But, the community rocked. Football is a big deal. My favorite events were theatre and special lecturers. My freshman year Ben Stein came to campus. Dating scene is much easier if you are Greek. I wasn't. I never dated anyone at TCU. The typical TCU guy wasn't my type. I was involved in many off-campus activities where I would meet the guys I dated. The metroplex has many colleges, so it is easy to find students from other schools. My closest friends I met through Frog Camp Quest (such an amazing bonding experience!), my major, and Leadership Center trips abroad. Greeks stereotypically have a lot of parties. I never partied. It wasn't my scene. Most late nights, my hall would have a movie night, or we would invent a game to play in the hall. When I moved off campus, I spent a lot of time at coffee houses with friends and at people's houses watching movies.

Rich, selfish, super-conservative, materialistic, Greek, party kids.

christine

Love TCU. I love the small school environment and the campus is beautiful. One thing I would change are the boys. Not cute especially considering there are so many pretty girls

mostly caucasian and christian and conservative. most students wear jeans and a tshit from their sorority/fraternity. students are well off financially

if youre looking for a small school that is absolutely beautiful, TCU is perfect. Students are smart and driven towards success. Perfect balance of social and academic. Coming from out of state it was easy to make it home, especially joining a sorority. Being a part of a sorority at TCU has made my experience what it is. i recommend for all incoming freshmen to join a fraternity or sorority

pretty much. i love it, but the boys are way too fratty and all wear pastels and the girls all wear nike shorts and big tshirts. most people have money and are from the south

Close relationships with professors, small classes, professors all easily accessable outside of class. lots of studying for tests but varies class to class.

dont go to TCU if you are against fraternities and sororities. they dominate the social environment and are wonderful to get involved in. closest friends from sorority but interact with everyone, sororities not exclusive

Dan

I'd have to say that I spend the majority of my time while on the TCU campus at the library; it has a wide variety of research resources and a very large computer workstation area accessible to the student population. It is my primary location to sit and complete my studies, as the atmosphere is very conducive to concentrating on school work.

No, TCU has made both me and my wife feel welcome after we have returned to school years later and has many programs available to assist those in need of financial assistance. At times it seems that TCU caters more towards those students living on campus, but that is to be expected as they have a greater reliability on the programs offered by the school.

The Geology Department is great; its a relatively small program, especially compared to the Neally Business School, but the classes are just the right size to learn and converse with the instructors. All the facility of the Geology Department learned my name within the first year, even before I had taken any classes with some of them. The professors will take the time both in and out of class to explain and work with you pertaining to any question, comments, or concerns you may have. The work is hard, but rewarding; and the classes are taught in a manner that encourages continued learning.

I don't have a lot of time to participate in activities and social events, but I do make a point of going to as many football games as I can and cheering on the Horned Frogs in their march down the field. The tailgate parties outside the stadium are quite an event that encourage team spirit and comraderie.

TCU is only for "rich-kids" and only worried about students directly out of high school.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.