Texas Christian University

« See more reviews of Texas Christian University

I think that racial, religious, and sexual preferences are not a big deal around campus. Everywhere I go, I see people of all backgrounds hanging out together. I would say the only person that would feel out of place is the person that wants to feel out of place. TCU may have a lot of snobby kids, but there IS a place for everyone. Clothing style is easy to spot. All girls wear those Nike shorts that are very popular these days, and North Face jackets are very common as well. Students that are greek are almost always wearing their letters, me included, and non greek typically wear TCU gear. One of TCU's big sponsors in Under Armor, so a lot of the clothes at the bookstore have the symbol on them, so that is another thing you'll see around campus frequently. Dining tables: 1)basketball players 2)football players 3)greek students 4)non greek students Most TCU students come from rich backgrounds, but TCU offers a lot of financial aid, so it is not uncommon to run into someone putting themselves through school, even at $34,000 a year. I try to stay away from politics, but the school newspaper keeps up with the races, so I at least have an idea of what is going on, as do most other students. If you were to have a conversation with a student about money, as long as they aren't a business major (they always think they will be millionaires one day), they will probably say they have no idea what they will make.

Most of the students at TCU are white kids with money. That being said, if you aren't white or well-off, you will stick out like a sore thumb. Most students are in a fraternity or sorority. You can't walk around campus without seeing ugly oversized t-shirts (paired with athletic shorts, or, in the winter, black leggings) advertising particular fraternities or sororities or their events. Many girls carry personalized bags by Jon Hart. Many guys (and some girls) carry North Face backpacks, and it seems like everyone wears North Face fleece or jackets during the winter. You will rarely see diverse groups of students. In the dining hall, black students sit with each other, international students sit with others from their country or region, and the rich, Mercedes- or BMW-driving students will never interact with anyone who is of a lower socioeconomic status. Most students are from Texas, and many are from the DFW metroplex. There are also a lot of students from California, most of which have money and therefore fit in (despite their socioeconomic status, they are still usually nicer than the rich kids from Texas). In addition, there are also some stragglers who come down from Oklahoma (warning: none of them are very nice). That being said, if you are not an upper-middle-class white kid, you will stand out (at least somewhat) from most of the students on campus.

I am actually a Student Body Officer on campus and I could not be more proud of this honor. I have served in this position for two years and have enjoyed every moment of it. Our student body is very unique and we pride ourselves in that. upon entering the main dining hall, you might see athletes, fraternity men, band students, members from the religious organizations on campus, sorority women, and students who opt out of organizations to focus on academics. No matter what you do, who you are, and what you believe in, TCU is the place for you. A great majority of students are from Texas (probably over 60%) but I have friends from other states and even other countries. Financial backgrounds vary as well - some students have private jets and other students, like myself, are quite content driving a Hyundai. There is a very strong support for all sides of the political spectrum - we have had several politicians and guest lecturers on campus and have seen a surprising support at all events. Students at TCU are driven - they look forward to the future and take pride in their Horned Frog roots.

I have always thought that it would be hard to be anything other than a WASP who is straight at TCU. Every time you turn around someone is inviting you to a Bible study. I think that many people with this type of background aren't as challenged at TCU because there are so many other people that agree with them. Prejudice is evident on campus. Minority students are often assumed to be athletes. However, different groups (especially LGBT, international students, Hispanic students, and Asian students) have small tight-knit communities. I was sad that nobody ever wore pajamas to class. What people wear to class depends on your major. Business students stereotypically wear designer clothes. Students in Harris College usually wear jeans and T-shirts. Four tables in the dining room: athletes, sorority, fraternity, other. Most TCU students are from Texas, especially the DFW area. Most of them are upper-middle class or upper-class (except Honors students and athletes). Most students at TCU hope to make a lot of money when they graduate, because we spend so much money to go here.

The students at my school are, bluntly put, white, well-off, intelligent students. There are some common misconceptions about TCU, like the fact that our mommys and daddys pay for everything, but the majority of students here are on scholarship. Most students are conservative and involved in a Greek organization. A student who wasn't comfortable associating with these kind of people would definitely feel out of place. The boys are fratty and they dress the part. The girls are typical sorority girls and wear large t-shirts and Nike shorts to class everyday, while managing to look put together. The dining hall is very segregated, with each table designated for a different fraternity and the girls they are friends with. Most of the students are either from Texas or California, and most are financially well-off. Most girls tend to talk about how they will marry into money and most guys aspire to be millionaires.

In general TCU students do not have school pride. Our athletics teams are good enough to draw some support but the fair weather fans of the school love to turn their backs when we loose a game. Another issue I would change is that people wear apparell from other colleges around campus frequently. I want to start yellling at them and throwing stuff at them for wearing a UT shirt or an A&M shirt on TCU's campus! You cannot get away with that at a big 12 school! The cool thing is to dress fratty. even those who are not is frats dress the part. The body is overwhelmingly white, the running joke is that if there is a minority around, they play sports, and that is honestly true. There are all kinds of religious views and political stancecs. Everyone can find a place for themselves in those reguards.

I went to a very diverse high school so to me TCU does not seem very diverse, but I have a skewed sense of what the word diverse means. There are many different ethinicities and religious affiliations represented at TCU. It is a very accepting campus. It is a very wealthy school so if you are not able to get past designer labels and expensive cars, then TCU is not the place for you. However, everybody knows everybody. Most TCU students are from Texas and I think 1/3 of the student body is from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Students on campus are very politically aware. Obama came to Fort Worth and I think half of TCU showed up. The most active polical affiliation on campus would definately be left wings, but rights also have a strong voice on campus.

I have had many experiences with diverse groups of people. They are all excited to be a part of the TCU Horned Frog community and they are all friendly and overall good people. I don't really think any student would feel out of place at TCU because there's something for everybody. Most students wear comfortable clothes to classes. Most of the students at TCU are from Texas, but there are also a lot from out of state and out of the country. It's cool meeting people from different places. I would say that most students come from at least middle class families or a more wealthier background, but there are many students who come from not so well off families and are only at TCU on scholarship and other financial aid.

Students: People: There is a large variety of people from different parts of the world, from different religions, races, and cultures. I personally know people from Paraguay, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Pakistan, India, Hawaii, China, Vietnam, and more. Who would feel out of place? Absolutely no one What do most students wear to class? There is an immense variety of answers to this question because everyone dresses as they please and no one judges. There are people who dress up every day just as there are people who wear gym clothes to class everyday. Four tables in the dining hall? Fraternity 1, fraternity 2, athletes with others, internationals with others

TCU has predominantly white students, but there is a good representation of many races and ethnicities. When I look around, I do see diversity. I feel like there is a place for everyone to fit in at TCU. Most students wear casual clothing to class, such as athletic shorts or jeans and T-shirts. Some girls will dress up in nice clothes and heels and some guys wear polos, but overall the style in classes is very casual. Most TCU students are from Texas, with a lot of them coming from the DFW area. However, I have plenty of friends who are from other states as far away as California or Nebraska. I also have friends who go to TCU from other countries.