Texas Christian University

« See more reviews of Texas Christian University

Sure, TCU has a gorgeous campus, and has a decent reputation, but make sure you consider more before coming here. Like just about every other college, it has its pitfalls, both academically and socially. I've had an about average mix of great professors, good ones, blah ones, and terrible ones. RateMyProfessors can be extremely helpful in sorting out the worst ones. Housing on campus is terrible, and parking is horrible for both residents and commuters. I truly wish I had not been forced to live on campus for my first two years.

My school has all ther perks that a large school would, with small school community feeling. I am able to walk across campus and see people I know everyday, yet still see people I have never met. My school has a fierce sense of school pride; we love our athletic teams. There are so many opportunities present on campus. We have random programs like bouncy houses, sushi night, Lady Antebellum concert, and so much more. I chose TCU for their unique athletic training program that allows you to begin the program as a freshman.

TCU creates phenomenal people. My best experiences have been the things that I went after (study abroad, Leadership Center activities, Model United Nations). Sometimes I am frustrated when I feel that most TCU students are shallow. Then, I remember that, by the time they graduate, we are "ready to change the world." Sometimes I am frustrated with how the University seems to always be getting money out of us and out of it's property without considering the students (tearing down a parking lot for an oil well).

TCU is not a major STEM research center. We do plenty of interesting and important research, but the professors are given a nice blending of this with their teaching. This approach allows the professors to hone their teaching craft, but also continue to prosper in their area of expertise. Another benefit is the potential of undergraduate research, since professors are more geared toward research/teaching balance, they are more willing to guide students in their research endeavors.

TCU is an amazing opportunity for any student because of the small class sizes, friendly nature, beuatiful campus, amazing career center, and professors that really do care about you as an individual. The campus has had a lot of new construction that has transformed the campus into an almost idealic setting. TCU is unique in that it is a small private university with all the offerings of a huge state school, including top ranked athletic programs.

If a student is looking for diversity and the chance to explore themselves and the world TCU is not the place for them. TCU is for students looking for other students who look and act just like them and for those who have or want to act like they have a lot of money. I love the academics at TCU but I hate the social side. I know a lot of people but no one has taken the time to get to know me as a person. Just the brand name bag I carry.

TCU has a strong sense of community starting off from the first day you get here. I personally knew no one coming into TCU and through programs with TCU and the campus life I made friends instantly. TCU also has a wonderful professor to student ratio. The classes are smaller and the professor has more time to give to students. This is exteremly helpful if you are having trouble in a class and need extra time to meet with the professor.

The one unique thing tat TCU, is the impact it's had on me. It's a home away from home and its helped me find out who I am and who I want to be. I transferred from another univeristy and I didn't feel challenged, I didn't feel any growth, now don't get me wrong I did have a good experience but I needed to figure out my life on my own, and TCU helped me with that. It helped me find me voice, and helped me find the path I wanted to take.

Texas Christian University has a feeling of comfort that you would find at home. The campus is located within the city so whenever a major event happens on campus the entire city is there supporting us. The mayor goes as far as dedicating days as "Go Purple" days and even dying the river purple in support of the school's achievements. All in all, TCU has the support you find within a family, which is what the city of Fort Worth is.

TCU has been a great place for me, becuase I have felt like I am more than a number. I get to form a unique relationship with each of my professors where I know they will be there for me if I need anything. This has led me to achieve great success both academically and in my future profession. I can't imagine being anywhere else, because TCU has given me the college expereince I wanted for myself and want for my future children.