Texas Christian University

« See more reviews of Texas Christian University

Every single professor I have had at TCU has known my name. They go out of their way to get to know their students - they have a required open-door office hour policy every week and some make themselves even more available. Professors get on Facebook and some even create their own websites or AIM screennames so they can better help their students. I cannot say enough about the professors at TCU. There is even a story about Speaker Jim Wright (Former Speaker of the House and TCU professor) and while I do not know if it's true, it speaks volumes about what TCU professors will do for students. Apparently a student came in to speak with Speaker Wright and during that time he received a phone call - he had his secretary take a message and continued to help the student. When the student left, he asked his secretary to get the President of the United States back on the phone - that's who had called when the student was there and he had put him on hold! Competition is very evident on campus, especially in honors classes and programs. Students are driven to succeed, learn, and make their future's brighter. Courses are academically and socially stimulating as well. Professors and all members of the campus community encourage students to get involved and become active and ethical leaders in our world. The Chancellor personally invites students from various organizations to his house for dinner and conversations as way of saying "Thank You" for their work. I can't think of another school where the Chancellor actually cares enough to know my first name - it's amazing!

Unlike my high school, where if you weren't in all honors you didn't get much of an education, TCU is hard. I'm a graphic designer, which means 3 nights of sleep a week, working on countless projects. If I have time I study for my core or business minor classes, and hope I do well on them. My favorite class was 3-D Design. We got to Braze (similar to welding), build with all sorts of different materials, and the projects were very interesting, such as building a 1:12 scale model of a fishing lure. In the graphic design program, it is very competitive, because only 15 people get into the school per year. I have heard other programs are nearly as competitive as well. TCU's core curriculum is well done in the sense that it is in categories. You have to take a certain number of hours, but gives you a long list of different classes that meet that requirement. However, you never know if a teacher is impossible or really easy, so your GPA could get a rocket boost, or torpedoed. I think that before the +/- system was enabled, students cared more about what they learned, rather than taking the easiest classes to get the better grades. I don't spend much time with my teachers outside of class, but when I do go in, they are usually open and easy to get along with.

Professors are generally very friendly and personable- like they know your name enough to greet you in the hallway 2 semesters after you took their class. In bigger survey classes be prepared to be virtually invisible, but in normal classes you will be important and involved. Different teachers teach differently, but all are very understanding if that is not how you learn- they aren't that hard to approach about problems. Students are competitive in certain classes I feel, especially business classes, but in others they are generally supportive of each other. I don't really ever spend time with teachers outside of class because I think it would be uncomfortable. I am an English major and this department is difficult for me because of the workload associated with each English class- lots of reading and writing per class then multiply that times 3 to get only part of a semester's class load. The academic requirements of the TCU Core are understandable, but not every class that should count for a specific credit does, making it very difficult to complete the core and take classes that interest you. I feel that most of the learning is simply for learning's sake.

Professors will know your name! I was in a geology class with 90 students and the professor knew all of our names. My favorite class so far has been Environmental Science and my least favorite class has definately been MicroEconomics. It depends on the student how often they study, but I do not know one person who has NEVER studied. Class participation is usually encouraged. TCU professors are usually very chill and encourage questions and comments that stimulate discussion. Most unique class I have taken was a Freshman English Seminar that dealt with Nature/Environmentalist writers. I am an International Economics major which fall under the AdRan College at TCU. An regular Economics degree from TCU is considered a BS, however and International Economics degree is considered a BA, so four semesters of a foreign language is required. TCU is all about preparing you for what you will encounter in the real world. For example, the Neely School of Business looks like a corporate office, and most of the class rooms are set up like board rooms.

I have never had a professor who didn't know my name within the first two weeks. All of the classes that I have taken have really emphasized how I can be "an ethical leader and responsible citizen in the global community." The first two years of TCU are very "liberal arts" orriented, especially if you are in the Honors Program. You take a lot of classes to satisfy "The Core." The classes are fascinating if you don't get too focused on your major right away. The Harris College and the Social Work program are awesome. Professors will push you, but also support you. Students in each department of Harris College are a tight community. In Social Work, we have two or three luncheons at professors' houses. We often drop by just to say "hi" to our professors. They often know about our personal lives. They are very willing to help us plan for our futures.

I would say most of my professors know my name which really surprised me for my first year in classes! The student-faculty ratio is relatively small so a lot of my classes are pretty small which is incredibly nice! Another thing that shocked me at TCU is that class participation is very common. Teachers really do care that you attend class. There is definitely a lot of studying. As it will be anywhere else, what you put into the class is what you get out of it so take classes you're interested in! The curriculum in every department is great - so many classes to choose from! I feel as though the campus in general is very intellectual. I may be biased because I live in the honors dorm, but a lot of people really care about academics because they want a strong future!

The academics here are awesome. I earned a 4.0 in my classes my first semester of college and some credit is due to those professors who taught well and were willing to help. All professors have office hours so if you're struggling you can visit with them and they really help because they can talk to you one on one and break it down for you. Classes are a good size. My smallest class has been one of about 20 and my largest class has been one of 110. Students take school pretty seriously and they are studying in their rooms, the hallways, the dorm lobby, and of course the library. The school really focuses on getting students prepared for the work and the real world after graduation. It's a great academic fit and there are a lot of cool classes available to take.

In the larger classes, it is important to introduce yourself and make a relationship with your professor. In the smaller classes, teachers know your name by the 2nd week. My favorite core class was Astronomy and it was also the hardest. My least favorite class was any class taken at night once a week. man those were long. students have intellectual conversations outside of class in their jr/sr year. i was an early childhood education major with an emphasis in special ed and i am now working on my masters in special ed at tcu. i hung out with some professors outside of class. once you get more into your major you really enjoy your professors, the classes youre taking, and your peers.

Most of my professors know my name, and if they dont, they usually still recognize me if I see them outside of class. The education at TCU combines learning your particular major with a broad knowledge of many areas of study. Students are required to complete classes for the "core" curriculum, which enables us to take many classes in different subjects. I think it gives us a well-rounded education no matter what career we pursue. The classes are also designed to make us think, question, and analyze. Even if we dont agree with what the professor thinks necessarily, we are still learning and questioning.

Professors will learn to know your name and will even have a conversation with you when you see them outside of class. I love all of my classes, but sometimes it's annoying to take all of the core classes. Students study a lot- academics are extremely important to students here. But we aren't crazy kids who don't do anything but homework. Class participation is like any school- we have a lot of discussion classes, but students are hesitant to speak sometimes. The school is geared towards getting a job because, at least in my major, we get to practice what we learn so that we have experience.