Texas Christian University

« See more reviews of Texas Christian University

There are several different organization on TCU's campus, just like any other campus, but I think TCU has some pretty unique organizations. Student Foundation is an organization that I am a part of here at TCU. I had to apply and then go through an interview process to become a member of Student Foundation. This organization is a group of students from all classes, who give tours to perspective students and families, work at alumni events, and call our donors to thank them for their generous donations! The members of Student Foundation do all of this for free! This is a completely volunteer-based organization, which is totally different from most schools. Most tour guides at other colleges are paid students who do it to get money. The members of Student Foundation give tours because we love TCU and we want to brag to others about it!! If students are in their rooms, then they leave their doors open for the most part. A lot of the time students hang out in the game room, movie room, or living rooms of their dorms though, so that isn't really a need to keep your door open if everyone is hanging out in the same place anyway. Athletic events are extremely popular at TCU! Students get in free to all athletic events - all you have to do is swipe your student ID. There are always promotions going on as well to draw more students in - free food, t-shirts, cups, etc. The most popular would obvious be football, followed by baseball and men's basketball! TCU has several annual traditions including the Christmas tree lighting ceremony and the concert. Each ear the TCU student government (SGA) hosts a concert for TCU students. It's free for all students with the swipe of their student ID, and each student is allowed to bring 1 friend for free! This past year we hosted The Fray, last year we hosted Lady Antebellum, and the year before that we hosted OneRepublic!

Most popular organizations: 1. Greek 2. Football 3. Student Government Football is huge on campus, mainly because they win. No one goes to games of any of the other NCAA sports. More people come to TCU club lacrosse games then most other sports. The dating scene is great, because there is a very large abundance of gorgeous girls, it is easy to find a beautiful AND nice girl. The problem is building the guts to talking to her, but once you are past that, it gets much easier. My closest friends are my fraternity brothers and lacrosse teammates. If I am awake at 2 am on a tuesday, I am working on a project. Popular events each year are the Greek Games, all the greek philanthropies, and annual greek parties. For non greek students, I have not heard of anything special that happens. TCU is no Florida or Ut, but you can find a party every night, and on Fridays and Saturdays, a couple Fraternities and Sororities will likely have an organized party. I don't drink, so I can answer this question. Something sober to do on Saturday night, go to a party and not drink, hang out at Sundance Square Downtown, play video games, or leave Ft Worth entirely, that's about it. Off Campus, there are plenty of theaters, you can go to Main Event, Botanical Gardens, Stockyards, Sundance Square, Winstar Casino past the Oklahoma Border, paintball, golf, there are two good malls nearby, campus food sucks, so if you don't want your stomach to implode I'd recommend leaving, Rangers Baseball games, Six Flags, Cowboys games, Hurricane Harbor, Softball league, and much much more (as you head toward Dallas).

Many people are Greek. Freshman year it feels like everybody rushes and pledges. Freshman year, if you aren't Greek, it feels like you are the only one who isn't. It gets easier for non-Greeks second year. A large part of my life Freshman year was my dorm hall. I lived in the Honors triples. We spent all of our time in the hall because we didn't want to be crammed in our room with our room mates. It was loud. I could never sleep. That sucked. But, the community rocked. Football is a big deal. My favorite events were theatre and special lecturers. My freshman year Ben Stein came to campus. Dating scene is much easier if you are Greek. I wasn't. I never dated anyone at TCU. The typical TCU guy wasn't my type. I was involved in many off-campus activities where I would meet the guys I dated. The metroplex has many colleges, so it is easy to find students from other schools. My closest friends I met through Frog Camp Quest (such an amazing bonding experience!), my major, and Leadership Center trips abroad. Greeks stereotypically have a lot of parties. I never partied. It wasn't my scene. Most late nights, my hall would have a movie night, or we would invent a game to play in the hall. When I moved off campus, I spent a lot of time at coffee houses with friends and at people's houses watching movies.

Defiantly the most popular organizations on campus are the Greek- whether it be the 21 social sororities and fraternities, or the band/cultural/religious sororities and fraternities. Under that the only other groups you ever hear about are Student Gov and the DARFUR groups. I used to be in a social sorority but I dropped it last semester because of all the hoops you must jump through. As someone who does not party, all the rest of sorority life was not worth the hassel. Football games are crazy popular, but the rest of the sports are only mildly attended. Not that many students leave their doors open, but they do visit each other's rooms often. TCU has a number of guest speakers and lecturers, but I never go see them. Dating is big at TCU, lots of holding hands and engagements, but more casual relationships than serious ones I think. Many of the girls however want that serious proposal soon though. You meet people simply by being involved in random things and open to new friends. I met my best friend just sitting in the main one day. People party at least once a month, most once a week, and some about 4 times a week. Every Thrusday-Saturday there is definately some big party going on somewhere, but thats not my scene.

Student Activities/Groups What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The Crew, intramural sports, organizations within each majors, fraternities, sororities, club sports, the TCU teams, and a lot more Tell us about a group you're involved with. Intramural Soccer: We play one a week, sometimes get together and practice and have a lot of fun! How popular are athletic events? Extremely popular, especially football and baseball games If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Probably studying for a test the next day or watching TV How often do people party? Usually every weekend, unless they have a really busy week coming up What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Go to the movies, watch a movie with your friends at someone's dorm, go out to dinner, go bowling, get together at the recreation center and play basketball or racquetball, and much more.

The Greek system on campus, while it may seem large, is only about 40% of the student population. While fun and exciting, fraternities and sororities are not the only things to do on campus. I, like many students, am involved in a variety of organizations. During my time at TCU, I've done everything - sorority, choir, dorm leadership, Student Government Association, new student organizations, business honors program, etc. Most students at TCU have a very well-rounded and diverse "resume" of campus activities. Many students stay around campus on the weekends - there might be parties, dinners, movies, trips downtown or even a night at Billy Bob's, the world's biggest honky tonk. Weekdays are equally fun - after/before/during studying there are organizational meetings and activities. Around campus there are restaurants, bars, and other attractions that make it convenient and safe for students to "get out" without going far.

Greek life is definately the most prevalent organizations on campus. I rushed but decided that sorority was not for me! I actually am a YoungLife leader at a local Fort Worth high school! Dorms are very friendly but I think that you meet most of your friends in class or in an organization you are involved in! Football and Baseball are the most well attended athletic events at TCU! If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am, then I am probably at my fellow YoungLife leaders house playing Mafia or PicturePhone! People party alot at TCU but I think that there are other opportunities to have a good time if that is not your thing! On Saturday nights, alot of people go to the Aardvark, which is a night club, but they always have awesome bands. They are pretty strict about underage drinking so for me it is just a fun place to dance and listen to great music!

TCU teaches you a lot about social situations. From football season to classrooms to greek organizations, this campus puts a lot of students together and bonds them quickly. Joining a sorority is what really bonded me to my close friends. They are girls I love to hang out with and who will definitely be in my life for years and years to come. On any given night, there is something happening. Whether this includes hanging out at the dorms, sorority house, sporting event, or just going to see a movie, there is something new and exciting happening. On any given weekend, you can expect a fraternity party, a sporting event, and a chill night. The whole party scene is prevalent at TCU, but this is because students like to get together and hang out. People respect you for not drinking, but don't look down on you if you do/don't drink.

Greek life dominates TCU. Most students are a member of some kind of fraternity or sorority. I, myself, am a member of a sorority, and I love it! We do all kinds of fun events, as well as community service with our philanthropy. My dorm has a very communal feel and I feel like we're all good friends. Athletic events are VERY popular. Most people attend our football games and baseball games, especially. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my sorority, and if I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'm probably studying with them. People party every weekend, and if you're into that kind of thing, you'll always be able to find a party. If you're not, into that, there's plenty of things to do. You can go to the rodeo or to Billy Bob's, the world's largest Honky Tonk!

Frats and sororities are very big! There is plenty to do if you are not apart of those groups tho. There are many organizations. One that I am involved in is Disciples on Campus. TCU is affiliated with The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), as a result of that there is a small hoard of Disciples students at TCU. We have a group with a paid faculity member and we meet every thursday evening for free food and an event like a game, discussion, worship, speeker, or just to hang out. We are always open and encouraging to non-disciple students and close to half of our regular attendies are non-disciples. This is an amazing group and it has provided me with a way to lead and be involved.