Texas Christian University Top Questions

Tammy

Sororities and Frats, and people who worship the school and everything about it. The ones who conform, rather than question or speak up about things. The ones who don't innovate. Aka group think. Obviously, since the clubs and associated students don't seem to really exist or have much activity. The latter I think was never even publicized.

Tammy

Sororities and Frats, and people who worship the school and everything about it. The ones who conform, rather than question or speak up about things. Aka group think. Obviously, since the clubs and associated students don't seem to really exist.

There are several different organization on TCU's campus, just like any other campus, but I think TCU has some pretty unique organizations. Student Foundation is an organization that I am a part of here at TCU. I had to apply and then go through an interview process to become a member of Student Foundation. This organization is a group of students from all classes, who give tours to perspective students and families, work at alumni events, and call our donors to thank them for their generous donations! The members of Student Foundation do all of this for free! This is a completely volunteer-based organization, which is totally different from most schools. Most tour guides at other colleges are paid students who do it to get money. The members of Student Foundation give tours because we love TCU and we want to brag to others about it!! If students are in their rooms, then they leave their doors open for the most part. A lot of the time students hang out in the game room, movie room, or living rooms of their dorms though, so that isn't really a need to keep your door open if everyone is hanging out in the same place anyway. Athletic events are extremely popular at TCU! Students get in free to all athletic events - all you have to do is swipe your student ID. There are always promotions going on as well to draw more students in - free food, t-shirts, cups, etc. The most popular would obvious be football, followed by baseball and men's basketball! TCU has several annual traditions including the Christmas tree lighting ceremony and the concert. Each ear the TCU student government (SGA) hosts a concert for TCU students. It's free for all students with the swipe of their student ID, and each student is allowed to bring 1 friend for free! This past year we hosted The Fray, last year we hosted Lady Antebellum, and the year before that we hosted OneRepublic!

Greek life dominates TCU. Most students are a member of some kind of fraternity or sorority. I, myself, am a member of a sorority, and I love it! We do all kinds of fun events, as well as community service with our philanthropy. My dorm has a very communal feel and I feel like we're all good friends. Athletic events are VERY popular. Most people attend our football games and baseball games, especially. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my sorority, and if I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'm probably studying with them. People party every weekend, and if you're into that kind of thing, you'll always be able to find a party. If you're not, into that, there's plenty of things to do. You can go to the rodeo or to Billy Bob's, the world's largest Honky Tonk!

Krista

Greek life.

Student Activities/Groups What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The Crew, intramural sports, organizations within each majors, fraternities, sororities, club sports, the TCU teams, and a lot more Tell us about a group you're involved with. Intramural Soccer: We play one a week, sometimes get together and practice and have a lot of fun! How popular are athletic events? Extremely popular, especially football and baseball games If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Probably studying for a test the next day or watching TV How often do people party? Usually every weekend, unless they have a really busy week coming up What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Go to the movies, watch a movie with your friends at someone's dorm, go out to dinner, go bowling, get together at the recreation center and play basketball or racquetball, and much more.

The Greek scene is definitely pretty dominant on campus, but there are hundreds of other organizations to be involved with! Pretty much every person I know is involved with at least two student organizations! There is really something geared for everyone. The campus is very lively with something always going on - athletic events, plays, religious events, celebrations, recreational activities, pretty much anything! There is a pretty strong party scene, but there is so much to go if you're not into that! A lot of people like to go to Billy Bob's, the local honkytonk, or do other things in Fort Worth!

Mariah

Ignite, Student Government, theCrew, and Greek life are most popular. But you can find clubs for anything you can think of! Football games are the most popular, but unfortunately, a lot of students leave early or come late. So the student section empties out. All athletic events are free for students! The dating scene isn't anything too different, except that remember it's a smaller school than most, so if you have a bad date with someone, it's likely that you'll see them again. Some people party every day, some people don't party at all. If you don't want to drink, then there are a million other things to do on weekends!

Carolyn

TCU is a very Greek school. Most of the student body is involved in a fraternity or sorority. We also have a Christian fraternity and sorority if that's more your thing. If partying is your thing, there's always a party going on during the weekend. But if it's not, that's cool too because TCU has a lot more to offer than partying. For example, there's a lot of the time something pretty fun going on in the BLUU or the commons or even in your residence hall. There's a lot to do in Fort Worth as well so there's never really an excuse to be bored!

Carolyn

Violet

Greek organizations, religious organizations, theCrew, sports.

R

Obviously, the fraternities and sororities engulf the TCU campus. Other than that, there are club sports and religious and ethnic organizations, but you won't hear a whole lot about those.

Terry

Promoting Sustainability Through Healthy Eating

TCU teaches you a lot about social situations. From football season to classrooms to greek organizations, this campus puts a lot of students together and bonds them quickly. Joining a sorority is what really bonded me to my close friends. They are girls I love to hang out with and who will definitely be in my life for years and years to come. On any given night, there is something happening. Whether this includes hanging out at the dorms, sorority house, sporting event, or just going to see a movie, there is something new and exciting happening. On any given weekend, you can expect a fraternity party, a sporting event, and a chill night. The whole party scene is prevalent at TCU, but this is because students like to get together and hang out. People respect you for not drinking, but don't look down on you if you do/don't drink.

Alexa

The most popular organizations on campus are the sororities and fraternities. I belong to a sorority, and for the most part I love it. You can choose to be as involved with it as you want to be. Athletic events are pretty popular, especially football games. Students get pretty into it. I met most of my closest friends through my major. Most of them are in a lot of the same classes as me. I also am close with a lot of the girls in my sorority. Partying is pretty big on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. There is usually always something to do.

The Greek system on campus, while it may seem large, is only about 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population. While fun and exciting, fraternities and sororities are not the only things to do on campus. I, like many students, am involved in a variety of organizations. During my time at TCU, I've done everything - sorority, choir, dorm leadership, Student Government Association, new student organizations, business honors program, etc. Most students at TCU have a very well-rounded and diverse "resume" of campus activities. Many students stay around campus on the weekends - there might be parties, dinners, movies, trips downtown or even a night at Billy Bob's, the world's biggest honky tonk. Weekdays are equally fun - after/before/during studying there are organizational meetings and activities. Around campus there are restaurants, bars, and other attractions that make it convenient and safe for students to "get out" without going far.

Defiantly the most popular organizations on campus are the Greek- whether it be the 21 social sororities and fraternities, or the band/cultural/religious sororities and fraternities. Under that the only other groups you ever hear about are Student Gov and the DARFUR groups. I used to be in a social sorority but I dropped it last semester because of all the hoops you must jump through. As someone who does not party, all the rest of sorority life was not worth the hassel. Football games are crazy popular, but the rest of the sports are only mildly attended. Not that many students leave their doors open, but they do visit each other's rooms often. TCU has a number of guest speakers and lecturers, but I never go see them. Dating is big at TCU, lots of holding hands and engagements, but more casual relationships than serious ones I think. Many of the girls however want that serious proposal soon though. You meet people simply by being involved in random things and open to new friends. I met my best friend just sitting in the main one day. People party at least once a month, most once a week, and some about 4 times a week. Every Thrusday-Saturday there is definately some big party going on somewhere, but thats not my scene.

greek life is huge!! they provide many social events as well as promote a positive image through their philanthropys throughout the yar

Jody

Great party scenes in the greek and it should be recommended to rush for the best social oppertunities

Going out on Thursday nights is usually a huge social event for the Greek community. Most people go to local bars, or clubs around campus. On the weekends there is always a party to go to (mostly thrown by members of the Greek community). Some students party Thursday-Saturday, but this mellows out as you get older and realize that you can't blow off a semester in college, because it will come back to get you!

sally

greek life is a must your freshman year at TCU. if you dont go through rush, you are looked down on. its pretty much the only way to make friends. sororities are very competetive between each other. people party almost every night of the week: tuesday, some wednesdays, thursday, friday, saturday. i have no idea what you can do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking... you can go out with your drunk friends and be the designated driver?

Sororities and Fraternities. The end. There are sometimes really good guest speakers, but they are not publicized very well. TCU is not rich in tradition. There is not a lot to do that doesn't involve drinking unless you are willing to really search for it.

guys have to be in a frat to have a social life. girls don't, they're invited to everything. HIS helped me make christian friends and be a true follower of christ. students in dorm leave their doors open, most everyone is very friendly, especially freshmen. each year: homecoming, howdy week saturday night: go downtown, get dinner at billy miner's, walk around, go to four day weekend comedy club, see a movie, get icecream

Meaghan

My social life in college has come from my sorority. That is where I met most of my friends. TCU has a HUGE greek community which means people party a LOT. Fraternities and sororites are very important to having a social life at TCU. You can go to the parties and not drink and you can find people who don't do that at all. And there is always the random trips to Ol' South or Fuzzies in the middle of the night.

claire

If you want to have a good time, you can always find a party to go to or a local bar! You wont be bored! And if you dont party- Fort Worth will keep you entertained!

lots of girls, less amount of guys. very large greek impact. tuesday nights at the aardvark. lame TABC controlled tailgates. lots of parties. meet best friends in sorority.

Frats and sororities are very big! There is plenty to do if you are not apart of those groups tho. There are many organizations. One that I am involved in is Disciples on Campus. TCU is affiliated with The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), as a result of that there is a small hoard of Disciples students at TCU. We have a group with a paid faculity member and we meet every thursday evening for free food and an event like a game, discussion, worship, speeker, or just to hang out. We are always open and encouraging to non-disciple students and close to half of our regular attendies are non-disciples. This is an amazing group and it has provided me with a way to lead and be involved.

Many people are Greek. Freshman year it feels like everybody rushes and pledges. Freshman year, if you aren't Greek, it feels like you are the only one who isn't. It gets easier for non-Greeks second year. A large part of my life Freshman year was my dorm hall. I lived in the Honors triples. We spent all of our time in the hall because we didn't want to be crammed in our room with our room mates. It was loud. I could never sleep. That sucked. But, the community rocked. Football is a big deal. My favorite events were theatre and special lecturers. My freshman year Ben Stein came to campus. Dating scene is much easier if you are Greek. I wasn't. I never dated anyone at TCU. The typical TCU guy wasn't my type. I was involved in many off-campus activities where I would meet the guys I dated. The metroplex has many colleges, so it is easy to find students from other schools. My closest friends I met through Frog Camp Quest (such an amazing bonding experience!), my major, and Leadership Center trips abroad. Greeks stereotypically have a lot of parties. I never partied. It wasn't my scene. Most late nights, my hall would have a movie night, or we would invent a game to play in the hall. When I moved off campus, I spent a lot of time at coffee houses with friends and at people's houses watching movies.

christine

dont go to TCU if you are against fraternities and sororities. they dominate the social environment and are wonderful to get involved in. closest friends from sorority but interact with everyone, sororities not exclusive

Dan

I don't have a lot of time to participate in activities and social events, but I do make a point of going to as many football games as I can and cheering on the Horned Frogs in their march down the field. The tailgate parties outside the stadium are quite an event that encourage team spirit and comraderie.

There is always something to do on campus, a week doesn't go by when there is not something University sponsered that is either free to students or very cheap that if someone is so enclined they could be busy all the time

I do not know alot about this topic, as I said before I am a single mother and my life outside of classes is quite full! But I will say that I am always aware of some event or another that is taking place on campus and if I was not already busy I would love to attend most the things I come across.

If you arn't greek you don't have any friends. Even though i was in a sorority, it hate the greek system.

Most popular organizations: 1. Greek 2. Football 3. Student Government Football is huge on campus, mainly because they win. No one goes to games of any of the other NCAA sports. More people come to TCU club lacrosse games then most other sports. The dating scene is great, because there is a very large abundance of gorgeous girls, it is easy to find a beautiful AND nice girl. The problem is building the guts to talking to her, but once you are past that, it gets much easier. My closest friends are my fraternity brothers and lacrosse teammates. If I am awake at 2 am on a tuesday, I am working on a project. Popular events each year are the Greek Games, all the greek philanthropies, and annual greek parties. For non greek students, I have not heard of anything special that happens. TCU is no Florida or Ut, but you can find a party every night, and on Fridays and Saturdays, a couple Fraternities and Sororities will likely have an organized party. I don't drink, so I can answer this question. Something sober to do on Saturday night, go to a party and not drink, hang out at Sundance Square Downtown, play video games, or leave Ft Worth entirely, that's about it. Off Campus, there are plenty of theaters, you can go to Main Event, Botanical Gardens, Stockyards, Sundance Square, Winstar Casino past the Oklahoma Border, paintball, golf, there are two good malls nearby, campus food sucks, so if you don't want your stomach to implode I'd recommend leaving, Rangers Baseball games, Six Flags, Cowboys games, Hurricane Harbor, Softball league, and much much more (as you head toward Dallas).

Greek life is definately the most prevalent organizations on campus. I rushed but decided that sorority was not for me! I actually am a YoungLife leader at a local Fort Worth high school! Dorms are very friendly but I think that you meet most of your friends in class or in an organization you are involved in! Football and Baseball are the most well attended athletic events at TCU! If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am, then I am probably at my fellow YoungLife leaders house playing Mafia or PicturePhone! People party alot at TCU but I think that there are other opportunities to have a good time if that is not your thing! On Saturday nights, alot of people go to the Aardvark, which is a night club, but they always have awesome bands. They are pretty strict about underage drinking so for me it is just a fun place to dance and listen to great music!

I'm involved with the TCU Marching Band (Colorguard), which performs at all the football games. It was the perfect activity to meet a lot of people and have instant connections. I met three of my best friends through band. I also joined Tau Beta Sigma, the national honorary music service sorority. I love the service projects we do and the emphasis on music. We also do many of the same social activities as a social sorority. I also have such a close bond with all the girls in it.

TCU football games are usually the only sporting events with a good turn out though people are working hard to change that. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I've probably been out partying or I'm studying. People party every night at TCU, and Thursday is considered a weekend night. Fraternities and sororities are important to some people, but not to all. There is a decent GDI population, though most who aren't greek seem to be athletes. Some fraternities are picky towards other fraternities, and same with sororities.