Texas Christian University

« See more reviews of Texas Christian University

The Best thing about TCU is it's small size. I applied all over the nation, because I wanted to get away from home. I didn't care if the campus was a building or a city, as long as it had lacrosse and Graphic Design. When I came to visit, the size was perfect, the teachers I met(even ones that weren't on the scheduled tour) were really nice. I knew I belonged here. The small size has it's pros and cons. The most obvious is EVERYONE is a true Horned Frog. I came from Longhorn Country, so seeing a campus with just as much pride in its colors as UT was awesome. You can buy anything from T-shirts to TCU trailer hitch covers. Another piece of TCU greatness is Send Home. Yes most TCU student are spoiled rich kids, and I like to think I'm one of them. Send Home is simple, swipe your ID at the cash register, it goes on a bill, at the end of the month, the total price is sent home for your parents to pay. This applies to everything in the bookstore (books, clothes, school supplies, gift cards, video games, etc.), club sports dues, parking fines, everything that isn't on the meal card. Now for the Cons. I love lacrosse, and I will play until the day I die. When looking at schools, I wanted to go to a school with a great lacrosse team. TCU is not one of those. Three reasons. 1. TCU lacrosse is not NCAA, so we don't attract the best players 2. It is new around campus, so until this past season, many students didn't know it existed 3. TCU is a small school (Yes it is the best thing about TCU, but with everything good, there is a negative opposite), so even if every student knew about the lacrosse team, we don't have enough players to have try-outs and take it as seriously as we need to in order to beat top national teams. I know, because I literally just got back from the MCLA (Mens Collegiate Lacrosse Association, TCU is in the Lone Star Alliance Conference) championship quarterfinals, and these teams are from big schools, which means that attract top players from across the nation, are able to hold tryouts to have a big team full of great players, and they are able to take the game seriously without the risk of loosing players. One of the largest problems on campus is parking. I know plenty of campuses around the US have this problem, but ours is irrational. They just knocked down the main parking lot that could hold over a hundred cars to build four new dorms. This means more students, less parking. Another problem, depending on where you live, decides where you can park. For instance, if you live off campus, you can only park by the academic buildings, and in a parking lot right by the rec center. If you live on main campus, there is a small parking lot by the basketball stadium and a tiny one by the rec center. If you are like me, and live in the Greek (which is a 20 minute walk from all the classes), you can only park in the Greek. Problem 3, parking fines are outrageous. The minimum is $50, and you don't get towed, they just keep giving you more and more. some are $100. TCU is literally taking away parking, specifically because it forces students to park in spaces they don't have a permit for (greek in main campus, commuter in Greek, etc.). TCU has a savings of over $1 Billion dollars, and they can't afford to build a couple parking structures? As you may know, Fort worth is called Cow Town. If you go to the Stockyards, that is a fair statement, but the rest of the city is a dump. It's no Bronx, but it could use a broom. I think because UT and A&M are so dominant colleges, those are really the only schools I see stuff for. So is Fort worth a college town? Yes. For TCU, not so much? The Greek. If you have seen the show on ABC family, turn the houses into dorm style, and you have a pretty accurate view on greek life at TCU. Each Fraternity and Sorority has a different story, from the snobby SAE's to the Drama Queen Sigma Phi Epsilon's, or the "overly charismatic" DG's (If you know what I mean) to the top shelf Chi O's. TCU student's may only be 40% greek, but if you aren't greek, everyone knows, because it is so powerful on campus. An experience I will always remember is pledgeship for my fraternity. I won't go into detail, but it was tough. I learned a lot about life, how to handle any situation, and I met great people along the way. I won't forget it, and I hope my future son's pledgeship is as memorable as mine.

The best thing about TCU is the sense of community you feel as soon as you step on campus. For me, I knew TCU was home the first time I stepped on campus. One thing I would change about TCU is the emphasis placed on Greek life, but not the pride that members of fraternity and sorority life have. TCU is the perfect size; nothing is too far away that you can't walk there in ten minutes and it's the perfect size for getting to know many people on campus during your stay. For me, people react with a sense of awe and amazement when I tell them I go to TCU. It's obviously no Harvard or Yale, but attending TCU is a prestigious and honorable thing and it's a big deal to tell people you attend TCU. I love that Fort Worth is more than just the university. You will never run out of things to do. The school's administration is one of my favorite aspects of the school. Chancellor Boschini is one of the nicest people I've met, and the rest of the staff is personable and friendly, as well as easy to approach. The most recent controversy on campus is obviously the drug bust, but this controversy brought us together as a campus and the situation was handled in the best way possible. There is so much school pride; we are essentially a family of horned frogs. There is so much unity, whether it be at the tailgates before the baseball game, sitting in the audience of the dance concert, or cheering on Casey Pachall as he throws the game-winning touchdown versus Boise State. The most unusual thing about TCU is probably the fact that there is really no division between any two groups. Seniors are friends with freshman, football players are friends with band kids, frat guys are friends with non-affiliated members. One experience I will never forget is my very first TCU football game. Walking into Amon G. Carter Stadium and seeing the sea of purple fans, all united to cheer for the same cause was one of the most breathtaking experiences of my life. We are horned frogs, we are family. We love TCU. The most frequent student complaint would be the constant construction or the lack of parking. Obviously, there's not much to complain about at TCU. My overall opinion of TCU is that it is such a fine institution. I am so proud to attend school here. I can't say it's perfect for everyone, but there are so many reasons to love it and I don't see how you can't find at least one thing you adore.

TCU is not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting something more focused on faith and finding our place in the world and with God, but it certainly isn't that. The only religious aspect of TCU is that you are required to take three hours of religion classes (aka ONE semester class). So, if I could change one thing about TCU, well at least the first thing on my list would be to make it more Christian, to go along with its' name. I like the size of TCU because it feels a lot different and bigger than high school but you still have the opportunity to approach your professors and get to know them a little bit, which is always a good thing! I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room or in my sorority house. Most of the time when I tell people that I go to TCU, they react by saying "That is such a great school, etc." The reaction is mostly positive. There isn't a lot of school pride, at least for a college in Texas where school pride is a big deal. I think the biggest controversy and complaint from most studets lately is the new meal plan for next year, it's completely ridiculous. The administration is very money hungry and will do almost anything to get money out of you. One good thing about TCU is that it's close to downtown Fort Worth and the historic Stock Yards, which can be a lot of fun.

My experience at TCU has been exceptional, and while I know I am prepared to enter the "real world" in a year, I do not want to leave TCU. It is a truly wonderful university and has made so many opportunities available for me. The campus size is perfect - a little over 7,000 students - so people know you and you have an opportunity to get involved and make a name for yourself. I honestly don't think I would change a single thing about TCU (well, parking is always an issue at any school, but TCU is already working to improve it). Fort Worth gives you the college town feel - it's small, intimate, and there is a big support from the locals - but it also has the draw of downtown. Sundance Square, which is downtown, has restaurants, shops, clubs, theaters, and just about anything else you can imagine. TCU is extremely connected to its community and this relationship is evident throughout campus and town. There is a ton of school pride on campus - how many other schools have the mighty Horned Frog as their mascot? Football game days are the highlight of everyone's fall semester as the entire campus (and town) shows up in their purple. It is a very unique school and we take pride in that fact.

First of all, I don't fall under the TCU stereotypes, which means I'm not white, not rich and not a part of a sorority, and I'm non-religious. I'm at TCU on scholarship and I love my experience so far. TCU size is small enough so the professor would know your name, so you can come by their offices chat chit, and receive personal advices. It's big enough so you meet new people everyday and don't have to worry about the whole school gossiping behind your back. TCU cares about the community. Check out our flashmob video to support the breast cancer foundation, with 1500 people dancing in the 105-degree summer day. We have LEAPS, a day that the whole campus would go out to the Fort Worth area and do community services. There are countless opportunities to give back to the community. Additionally, TCU always has things going on everyday. Yes, every SINGLE day - I mean it. You DO NOT have to be a part of a greek organization to make friends. The school pride is huge, on game day everyone wear purple and we get discounts at restaurants off campus if we wear purple on Friday. I found my place at TCU, and I hope you can too!

TCU is the friendliest university; everyone is helpful. The mission statement (to educate ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community) is pushed in every class and activity. I think this is the best part of TCU. The events on campus are awesome...especially the lectures. The free food after major university events is awesome. Another awesome part about TCU is how many students study abroad. TCU really pushes study abroad and has many opportunities for students. They are phenomenal! Living on campus and the meal plan are ridiculously expensive. It is much cheaper to live off campus, but the University won't let you for the first two years. The construction sucks. Parking is horrible. Tuition goes up about 8% every year (expect to pay 32% more your senior year than you did as a freshman) and scholarships don't increase.

TCU is the perfect size. The campus is beautiful and you can get just about anywhere in 10 minutes. The class sizes are just right, and many of the professors know your name and take the time to get to know you. You often see people you know just walking anywhere on campus, but its big enough to where you'll never even be anywhere near knowing everyone. The one thing I would change is parking, because there is not enough of it. I would want them to add a parking garage. When I tell people I go to TCU, most adults say "good school!" or seem impressed. Few people seem to have a negative opinion of it. The most frequent student complaints are about parking and the meal plan. There is a lot of pride on our campus... on game days, all you see is purple everywhere!

TCU is an all around great school! You have the comfort of a smaller community but, you are only 30 minutes away from Dallas. The area around TCU is quite wealthy so it makes the campus alot safer. Most of my time spent on campus is on the academic side of campus, however I do spend a good amount of time and the Main. I feel that TCU's administration adheres to the wishes of it's students while still maintaining a sense of legitimacy. Tons of school pride!!! PURPLE all the way baby! Most frequent student complaints would probably be parking, but it is usually due to laziness rather than lack of spaces.

when i tell people i go here, they almost laugh at how expensive it is because i am here to get an education degree-- which gives me back very little money. one thing i would change would be the cost! for the most part, i like the size. but sometimes i wish i went to a bigger school to i could meet and date more people. i feel school pride is just right. there are a variety of students with school pride-- some LOTS of pride, and some just enough. most of my time is spent in my apartment on campus... i rarely go to the library to study- but most students use the library to study.

I love this school! The best thing is that everyone is so nice and the campus is extremely beautiful. It's the perfect size because classes aren't too big- even directors of programs and chancellor are accessible and recognize students! People usually think about our football team when I say I go to TCU, but they also know that it's a great university! This isn't really a college town, but there is so much stuff to do still! Downtown Fort Worth is close and so is West 7th St. And Dallas is only a 30 minute drive. There is awesome school pride! People are always wearing purple.