Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Southmost College

JAVIER

Few classmates demonstrate the desire to learn, and the majority strive for the bare minimum.

The best advice I would be able to give is to never underestimate your ability. I have surprised myself time and time again by my own potential and wish I had shot higher during the college application process my senior year. I would also encourage myself to dig deep for the underlying beauty behind knowledge and the power recieved through the journey of its attainment. I would warn of taking the road MOST traveled, and encourage instead the trek of self discovery. In so doing, I would strongly discourage pursuing premedical studies and instead spark the love I have now of mathematics. I would reassure myself that nothing is set in stone, and that the most important thing to do is to pursue something you genuinely enjoy.

Any individual who is mindful of saving money and is determined to push past learning only in the classroom should attend this university. It is important for one to be able to learn independently in order to make the most out of this institution.

Gabriela

I would give myself the advice to be determined and focus at all times. These are two very important and valued characteristics in my life because my first language was spanish and I come from a migrant family, therefore I had to try my very best to learn English and to keep up with all my classes. As I grew up I learned that with determination I could achieve my goals and finish my education. I did suffer greatly but I overcame my obstacles by staying focus all the time during school. Up to now these characteristics are what brought me to where I am right now. I am seeking a career in Nursing and financial aid has helped me out quite a lot but it has not been enough though. This is the reason I'm applying for scholarships and why I haven't given up because I am determined to finish my career.

The best thing about my school is that I'm actually learning what needs to be learned to fulfill my career goal. Teachers in this campus really know their material and they teach it extremely well. I'm very grateful that I attended this school.

I believe that everyone has the right to an education, therefore I believe that every person should have the opportunity to attend this campus.

Elisa

Don't worry about "being cool" and "fitting in". Yes it might have mattered in high school, but it is completely different in college. No one here cares if you were cool or not, heck, no one even really cares what you wear. Don't worry about looking like a loser if you're by yourself. In college, it does not matter! Just be yourself and don't care about what other people think about you.

In all honesty, any person should attend this school. It does not discriminate, the student life is awesome, everyone is real nice and it's easy to make friends with the same interests as you.

The student life is so awesome. There's so many campus activities to do.

Ilse

UTB is a constant reminder of the American dream due to all the fellow hispanics that are in search of the same thing as I am, prosperity.

Being as anxious as I am, I know that talking to my future self would be scary. Instead of the confrontation, I'd deliver a letter to myself. In this letter, I would let myself know that friends and boyfriends are important, but not the most important thing in life. I'd convince myself to prioritize better because although being vice-president of the senior class and yearbook editor look great on college applications, extra-curriculars can only get you so far. I would definitely ask myself to rethink the school I had set my mind to and I would tell myself that I was only going there for the wrong reasons. I would give myself advice on heartbreaks and I’d tell myself that although the school of my choice was nice, being at home would be better for the times up ahead. Most importantly, the biggest lesson I would teach myself would be to take as many dual enrollment courses as I could because the biggest disadvantage of college is having to borrow so many loans.

The best thing about my school, in my opinion is definitely the campus itself. We are undeniably on historical grounds. Although Fort Brown is a place where many battles were fought long ago; Today, Fort Brown is nothing more but a memory and a single branch of a big campus that is only growing in size and potential.

Jaqueline

My school is best known for its sense of community. Here in Brownsville, almost everyone knows each other or knows someone who knows each other. It is a very supporting community. There are many programs and services the school offers to help. Everyone is very helpful around campus.

I would tell myself to take everything more seriously. College is not a joke and it is totally different than high school. I would also tell myself not to procrastinate because it will hurt you if your are not careful. I would also tell myself that deadlines are very important and to use a calendar. A planner should be your best friend since you tend to forget things, even important things. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and make sure all your financial aid paperwork is in order. Another important thing is to study hard and as often as possible. Take a deep breath and relax. If things don't go your way, it is not the end of the world. Dust yourself off and try again. As long as you keep trying and never give up, your'e golden.

The type of person who shouldn't attend this school would be someone who does not want to be here or is not going to try. In order to be successful here you have to want it. People who are simply going to take up space should not attend this school. There are plenty of people who want to go to college but cannot for one reason or another.

Yvette

Do not let someone else think for you or decid your future. I am advising you only because that was done to me, and my mother just went with what some doctor told her. I have work two job for four years and was able to maintain job for nine years and in those years I had strated from the bottom and was able to end up as a superviser at one point. Believe in your self because you are able to do anything and everything if you put your mind and heart to it. Do it for your self try to succeed for you not anyone else, and if you started a familiy before time don't worry you can also succeed but now you have to think about your kids too. Do not let no other person in your life feed you negetivity try to keep those persons away from you. I would suggest for you to meet new people with positive attitude that will help you succeed and progress in life. Believe in your self because I believe in all of you.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school or any other schools are students that do not take life serious. A lot of students attending know as a freshmen are not really on bord with there studys. That is taking away from persons that want to go to school and get a degree. Let me give you a personal example when I graduated from Los Fresnos high school I was told that I would be wasting time and money if I attended college. Sixteen years later I am here trying to proof them wrong.

I did not know that the university would help me with my accomodations. The accomodation that I had in high school. I have learn a lot this semester about the university. For example, there are different kinds of disabilities and help on campus for you to succeed. They also have workshops I personally make time to attend all of the workshops because I do learn from them. I did not know that there was a program at the college call A.S.P.I.R.E what they do is guide you through all of your college years.

Vanessa

It has many different ethnecities, but because its near Mexico its highest population is made of hispanic students of low income and because of this most students are very dedicated becasue they appreciate, and truly value the oportunities provided by the university. In the other hand the university corresponds by providing many opportunities and programs to help students.

I would of tell my slef to stay in school rather than taking a break, because its much harder to return back to college once you have a couple of years without practice.

Because the university is smaller than most universities of high honorable names it gives the instructures more time to focous on their students to actually understand the material needed in their degree rather than just getting the grades.

Alexis

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to never change who you are and trust yourself. Trust every decision you make and that it's going to work out, don't stress over the little things they willl drag you down. Always be you no matter other's opinions, you can't always change people's minds, but you can control yourself and the way you are. Treat people with kindness and let the ones who dislike you, dislike. There's nothing you can do to change the mind of people who have no reason for their actions. Surround yourself with positivity, once you started thinking positive your whole life changed you started doing better all around in softball, school and life in general. Lastly, don't ever be afraid to fail. Fearing failure will always keep you from taking chances, but taking chances won't always lead to failure. Live everyday with a smile and brighten up someone else's, always be positive, trust that everything will work itself out, and live life with courage.

Stephany

If I was a high school senior again the advice that I would give to myself is to be more responsable, because high school is a lot different of college. In college you have to most of the thing by your own and there is no one who would be behind of you checking that you are responsable/ I would give me the advice to not depend that much of other people, because in college you need to be more independent.

The University of Texas at Brownsville is a campus for every kind of person. The environment suits every type of person, In campus you can see diferent type of people sharing knowledge and time and ideas. I think every kind of people can feel very comfortable in the environment The University of Texas have to offer. Also how is in the frontier of Texas is so easy to see different types of cultures,traditions and race. The thing is that people respect each other and this is why it's so easy to get along with different type of people

What I wish I had before comin to the University of Texas at Brownsville is time. There is so many activities and events I wish I could go but I have other things to do. There is always something to do in campus. They are many organizations and clubs that UTB have to offer and so many oportunities.

Texas Southmost College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.