Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Southmost College

Maritza

What is unique to my school is the culture. The University of Texas at Brownsville being in a border town creates a unique culture and set of practices. I have lived in several different places within the United States and never before have I encountered such a culture. There is a mixture of every culture here. There is a sense of acceptance in Brownsville that I have never before experienced. Because of such a diverse culture group, peer acceptance is easily found. This is why I chose UTB.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself several pieces of advice. To begin I would tell myself to concentrate on my education from day one in college. Rather than goofing off in high school and thinking it is okay to do the same in college, focus is key. Studying every night is necessary and I will not be able to get by without taking notes. Second, I would tell myself to stop caring about what everyone else in the world thinks and care about what I think about myself and what I need to be doing. Listening to what other people think my life should be like only created inner turmoil and stress. College life is so much easier when there is a clear cut goal set. So make a goal, set it, and work hard for it without letting your peers distract you or try to get you off the road to success.

UTB is a relatively small school. It is not as overwhelmingly big as others schools I have seen and heard about. The best thing about this school is in fact its size. It is not too big and not too small and has a great education to offer. Because of its size, it is easy to navigate and easier to feel comfortable as a freshman.

Sandra

The advice I would give myself if I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior is to be a bit more involved with campus organizations.

A person who wants the perfect sized university and attention.

Dear Sarah, Your senior year is going to be challenging but I know you will get through it. Some advice I need to give you is to; try your best and never give up, times will get tough but you have to overcome them, also keep your college options open and look at many colleges before you make that very important decision, apply for any and every possible scholarship because college is so expensive. You will be in debt going into college if you do not get a lot of scholarship money so do whatever you can to apply, and receive any scholarships available. College is going to be a big transition for you since you went to such a small high school, but you never know maybe you will find a small college that you are interested in. Whatever you do, don’t be afraid to go to college, every freshman is a new kid just as you are, you will make new friends. You will eventually get used to the transition and it will become your daily schedule. If you follow my advice you should do well in life, have a great senior year and future! Sincerely, Sarah

Dennicco

gggg If you are a guy, chances are you have or have had a taper fade haircut at least once in your life. These popular men’s haircuts are performed with the use of electric hair clippers, and they are among the most requested types of men’s haircuts in salons and barber shops the world over. A taper fade haircut is essentially a haircut in which the length of the hair either decreases or increases gradually, generally featuring longer hair on top that gradually tapers and fades to much shorter hair along the neck line and above the ears. While taper fade haircuts can be achieved at home by using virtually any electric hair clippers (most of which come with attachment guides to easily control the length in which you cut your hair), the fact of the matter is that taper fade haircuts have become something of an art form in many communities, and a trained hairstylist or barber can often provide cleaner lines and a far more polished, professional and put together overall look than most people can achieve on their own. Taper fade haircuts are among the most popular haircuts for men for a number of reasons,

Nelson

It is a great campus with a lot of ativities. Therefore, it is on the frontier, which means that the cultural diversity is very broad.

If I could go back in time to find my self in High School, the only tip I would give to me would be: "Never keep the idea of doing something, do it." College its a whole new stage in your life, if you have great projects and ideas, make them happen when you are still on High School! This way you would be setting down the foundations that will raise into your carreer in the future.

Maybe, and just maybe, the fact that I need to walk a lot to get to my classes. But, it is not a real problem, because of the fact that walking is a healthy activity for everyone.

Kadie

Focus on your school work. Soak up as much as you can, because your brain will never retain as much information, as it does now. Get involved, hang out with people you enjoy, and stop comparing youself to others, you're not going to please everyone. Appreciate your parents, he treats you like a daughter, treat him like a father, he'll be gone far too soon. Be thankful for the full fridge, laundry service, and allowance. Save your money. I know "you're rich", but you won't be your 4 years in college, trust me. Become comfortable enough with yourself to trust your own judement, but know that your choices do affect others around you. Stand up for what you believe in, say or do something productive, when you see someone else being treated badly. Work on your social skills, communicating and speaking up is a vital neccessity to learning. You're not going to like everyone, and they're not all going to like you, but that's life, and it's okay. High school was easy, and you're not prepared for the difficulty of college, adjust now.

Ashlee

My university is best known for being the close to the border of Mexico and being very good at soccer we are just all around the best competitors;) I think you have to experience it by coming down here to understand why UTB will blow your mind!!It is a beauitful huge campus newly remodeled buildings and lots of parking.

I love my univiersity because all the campus activities allow me to have a social life while in school.Also the professors and staff are so helpful and care about their students.I'm so happy I choose UTB once you come here you won't leave you build really strong lasting realtionships here with faculty and students!!!:) GO OCELOTS!!!!!!

I think I would tell myself to save money because school spirit is costly,and also apply for more scholorships.Don't be nervous to get out there and strat meeting tons of new people!!:)

Diana

Diversity of cultures and ethnicity. I must say that you will find a very unexpected set of both students and faculty that is composed of people from all over the world.

Diana, college is not a continuation of high school. There is a lot more independence and that can easily stir your focus away from obtaining your degree. Time management is key for any university student, at least an additional three hours have to be put in for each class in order to attain a firm grasp of the subjects, and allow you to get a good foundation of the subjects. It might be dificult early on to decide what field you want to obtain your degree in, but try to complete one degree as soon as possible. If later you find that it no longer interest you, the abilit yto enroll in a graduate progream is available for you always. Don't let anyone question your ability to do anything that your heart desires. Always keep moving forward.

I do notice that this school has yet to adopt many uper level programs. I believe that the most effective program on campus is the education programs.

Gina

It is a wonderful learning environment, with hard working professors.

It is a wonderful learning environment, with hard working professors.

If I had a chance to go back in time to my highschool self, I would tell her to apply to as many scholarships as possible, and to step out of her comfort zone. Back then in highschool, I didn't have anyone telling me to apply for scholarships or even teach me how to apply for aide. Now that Im struggling, I wish I would have applied for more scholarships. Also, there was a time when I was so shy, I didn't know how to make friends. However, all the experience I have now, I love people! Socializing is a huge role in college. This is one of my favorite things, if only I knew how great it felt sooner, I wouldnt have been so scared. Though all the troubles and trials I faced, I have not regretted them. It made me who I am today, though a time machine would be nice, but it wouldn't have made a big affect on me than the actual experience of overcoming my difficulties and learning from them.

The best thing about my school is the perks. We have discounts, aide,a library, a workout center, even free tutoring and theres so much more. Its great to have everything you can possibly need under one campus.

Texas Southmost College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.