Brownsville, TX
Texas Southmost College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Southmost College

Gabriella

The advice I would give myself would start by completing all four years in the girls soccer team. The beat feeling in the world to me was playing on that filed with great teamates by my side, knowing that I can trust them nlt only on the field but as friend. Being part of a team, club or any school social program could open so many doors for you. Enjoying the time you have on great activities with great people around does not come so often. Finding out where you feel comfortable and decide that this is what you enjoy. Do not think it over and just do that brave move and go for it, because we really don't know how quickly timw flies and we don't want to be think of what could of happened instead of what did happen. Make it your greatest memory not your biggest regret.

ilse

UT Brownsville has highly qualified professors who provide a fun and learning environment.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to enjoy college. I would tell myself to not take any breaks and attend the summer sessions. Another important thing I would say would be to ask more than one person for help and not trust the advisors 100%. I would suggest to be aware of what the requirements for each course are to not fall behind for not asking. I would encourage myself to never give up and that it gets better as the semesters pass. I would also suggest to seek for help when not understanding an assignment. Most importantly there is NEVER a dumb question and you will be able to do it!

The best thing about my school would have to be my professors, because of them I have learned great things that will help me in the future.

Francisco

What is most unique about this school is the fact that it is close to home. My family and I have lived here for many yaers, and leaving this town behind would of been tough for me. What is also unique about my school is the size of the classrooms. Since they are not too big, professors can interact more with their students. I think this is very important not only for us the students, but also for the professor. The other schools I had considered were major universities, therefore, this would have not been available.

The kind of people that should not attend this school are people that do not like to work hard. Since classrooms in this school are smaller, professors expect more from students and learning the material is also very much expected. As a result, one has to work hard in order to not disappoint your professors and, most importantly, not disappoint yourself. Not only this, the work assigned is very demanding in some classes. Long hours are going to be required in order to complete the assignments, therefore, a hardworking student is nedded.

Absalon

I would tell my self to excel more, to put a bit more effort into every sinlge task. To work harder and try to be one of the top ten percent. And never give up, becuse even if things seem to be lost, theirs always a chance to make it and excel.

Lack of college/university information, their's nobody to help you to excel in education, and very poor class organization given by staff.

Areli

This school is very diverse and you get to meet people from all over the country. There is plenty of programs to chose from and it is a beautiful campus.

If I could go back to my high school year I would tell myself to take any opprtunity given to me. To take advantage of what a school has to offer. I would tell myself not to be afraid of change or different. Experiencing things out of my comfort zone or out of the norm is sometimes good. I would advice myself to push forward no matter what, to stay focused and to always remind myself that the most important things in life are God,family, and school.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to fight for what I wanted, rather than settle with community college. Many events shook my senior year. In mid August, my school burned down, significantly hindering any academic advisement I may have received. Also in August, my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer that would ultimately take his life in June of 2013. This is pertinent as any funds, outside of scholarships and student loans, would be contributed by my grandparents, and I was unwilling to hassle my grandmother about money as her lifelong friend and partner slowly withered away. I regret allowing myself to cave into the nay sayers, ignoring the few who supported my aspirations beyond two years at the local community college. I should have believed in myself and my abilities.

John

I would tell myself to take everything serious. I didn't know it at the time, but I could've had to many opportunities to be a better musicican. I'm currently pursuing a degree in Music Education and while I struggle just a bit every now and then, I know I could've done alot more in high school to prepare myself for college. I would've also told myself to develop study habits. It is really hard to study when you are exhausted and I could've also made it easier on myself to develop good study habits. Also the last thing I would've told myself to do is to be social and talk to people. Friends are there for you and to help you along the way incase you fall down. I was shy and nervous when I went to my first day in the University, I don't know if I could've changed that, but it Would've helped if I knew some of the people from the classes before hand.

The only fustrating thing about the school at the moment for me is that since they had the split with TSC and are merging with Pan Am, there is kind of a mess with classes and locating offices like the Advising and any other important office. I'm pretty sure this will clear up very soon though.

I would mainly brag about the University's Music Department. It is so amazing and to hear the different ensembles like the UTB Symphony Orchestra, or the Chamber Ensembles or even faculty ensembles, they are all equally amazing. These fellow students practice and it pays off when it comes to the actual day of the concert. Everyone is so friendly as well in the music department. The Professors are understanding and the students help out when needed.

vanessa

If only they'd invent time-machines already. I would go back to August of 2009 and sit my disobedient / know-it-all butt down. Give myself the longest lecture my ears would probably fall off. “it is not about having the most friends, or who goes out the most, or who has the best shoes.” Gosh, kids could really be ignorant. I would go back in time and tell myself to focus on school and not to worry to much on the 'she said he said' because honestly you don't speak to about half of those 'friends' after high school anyways. life would be so different for me.

Gabriela

The advice that I will give myself will be to always meet with the professors after class if something was not clear enough and never to be afraid of asking because that is why there are there. To assist you in every way they can. Try to go to tutoring on my free time and look for any additional resources that is helpful for my classes. Because now that I'm a senior in college I look back and ask myself why I didn't take advantage of so many resources but at the same time each one of them I somewhat discorvered them on my own and if not they arrived late.

The best thing about my school, is that I'm close to my family and it has a very nice community around. It is very easy to get to places since they also provides a specific metro bus to get students around where they need to.

The people that shouldn't attend here are the people who are into sports. Since UT Brownsville doesn't offer that many sports especially football, we don't really carry out our school spirit.

Rolando

My school is mainly known for having the best volleyball team in the nation. It is also known for some of the most remarkable students and staff that attend and have graduated from The University of Texas at Brownsville. It is a place known for their caring students and staff that do not allow students to feel stressed out about school and extend a helping hand.

The biggest advice I would give myself would be that college should not be taken softly, that every decision, no matter how unimportant it seems then, will have a huge effect in the future. Furthermore, that no matter what happens it the outside world school and personal problems and griefs shouldn't be taken to school. I would also advice myself that things happens in one's life that can ultimately jeperdize one's education, but not to let those events change you, instead, grab those events and use them as a means of motivation as to why you want to obtain a higher education. The last advice I would give myself would have to be that we are all humans and we all make mistakes but its how we deal with the consequences that shows our true character and that moral stature outweighs any type of material gain and one should always remain true to who we are as a person.

I wish I would have known all the clubs and extracurricular activities that the University provided to its students.

Texas Southmost College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.