Texas Southmost College

« See more reviews of Texas Southmost College

The University of Texas in Brownsville is an open campus and we take ALL kinds of people! One of my main objectives is to continue to set an example and my own experience to incoming university students. This university not only does it serve traditional students, but, also serves nontraditional potential students. I want to especially give back to those nontraditional students (30 or 40 year olds) who drop-out-of high school and work at dead-end jobs that don?t pay enough to provide for their families and after much consideration they decide to pursue a higher education.

The kind of people that should not attend this school are people that do not like to work hard. Since classrooms in this school are smaller, professors expect more from students and learning the material is also very much expected. As a result, one has to work hard in order to not disappoint your professors and, most importantly, not disappoint yourself. Not only this, the work assigned is very demanding in some classes. Long hours are going to be required in order to complete the assignments, therefore, a hardworking student is nedded.

I feel society pressures our youth to get ahead and strive for academics at a swift pace. I have nothing against this as I see it fit to raise my own this way when the time comes. However, some students get to an institution of higher learning and are unaware of the new learning tactics and culture. It's a new world from the transition of high school to college and not everyone transitions together. This creates a gap and may cause errors and omissions in the transitional process of academia for the sense of higher education.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school or any other schools are students that do not take life serious. A lot of students attending know as a freshmen are not really on bord with there studys. That is taking away from persons that want to go to school and get a degree. Let me give you a personal example when I graduated from Los Fresnos high school I was told that I would be wasting time and money if I attended college. Sixteen years later I am here trying to proof them wrong.

It is the dream of an undefiened number of students who would like to attend The University of at Brownsville. However, for different reason they cannot. In the other hand, there are student that already enrolled in this university and they do not accomplish their goals. I think that students whose main concern in to have a free time at school in college should not be able to attend it. Stop wasting other individual´s time and give the opportunity to people who will take on this oppurtunity.

I BELIEVE THAT ANYONE CAN ATTEND THIS SCHOOOL AND THRERE SHOULD BE NO ONE THAT DOES NO T WANT TO ATTEND THIS SCHOOL SIMPLY BECAUSE IS A WAY OF SUCCEDING IN LIFE. JUST BEACAUSE IT HAS OPEN ADIMISSIONS. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT ALL STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE AN EQUEAL OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCED IN LIFE. FOR EXAMPLE IMMIGRANT PEOPLE THAT COME FROM MEXICO SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT FOR AN EDUCATION REGARDLESS OF THEIR SITUTATIONS. MAINLY I THINK THAT THE TYPE OF PEOPLE THAT WANT.

People who don't have a positive attitude and read for pleasure should not attend my university. My English professor taught our class this lesson when I was a freshman at my university when he made us read "An Open Letter to Ninth Graders". Patrick Sullivan makes good points on what it means to be college ready. If you don’t have grit and attitude with critical thinking skills should not think about making it in college.

A student who is not ready for college. Astudent who feels college is a waste of time and would prefer hanging out with their friends. Students who waste their time in lcass by talking, chatting, or doing other things that distract themselves and others in class hsould not attend college....everyone has the right to attend. But there are certain times in one's life when you are prepared to attend.

The University of Texas at Brownsville is not the proper college campus for an individual that is seeking an environment that consists of anything MASSIVE. It is a large school for its location and the diversity is abundant, however there are no major football or basketball teams, so someone who is expecting to see their alma mater on ESPN should not even bother filling out an application.

Any person that plans to attend any college or higher education must have their personal short and long term goals. College is a once and a lifetime experience that is liberating and rewarding. Most of my peers are grounded and want to obtain a degree, and as the years have progressed the ones that are not serious about their courses and degree have slipped through the cracks.