Texas State University Top Questions

Karissa

Volunteer groups and Greek life are very popular at Texas State.

Morrissey

Floating the San Marcos River

Edith

The Greek life is the most prominent school activity. There are a lot of sororities and fraternities.

Beth

Sororities/Fraternities are popular. There is an emphasis on sporting events but more traditions would be an improvement. However, without drinking, watching movies, eating out, and occasional concerts, the town could offer more options/services.

Tiara

Since the river runs through the school alot a students go tubing. Its the best weather here to have fun outside.

Texas State University Organizations ranging from Hip Hop Congress's Epidemic Battle,SACA(student association for campus activities)'s Riverfest, Invisible Children's Benefit Concert and TX State's very own radio station KTSW 89.9's Lunch Box series Entertain the San Marcos Community.

SACA (Student Association for Campus Activities) hosts comedian ANT, from Last comic Standing and current celebrity fit club host.

Katy

The most popular groups are frats/sororities, ASG, College of Republicans or Democrats. I'm involved in Ad Club and AAF, both advertising/marketing related. Texas State AAF holds the highest rank at the national level based on wins. It involves networking with professionals and gaining hands-on experience by volunteering and job shadowing. Athletic events are not as popular as larger universities, but we are working on that! The social get-to-gether's are more popular before and after athletic events. I met my closest friends by going pot luck in an apt. Also, through school and definitely school programs and organizations. The dating game is pretty crazy. Everyone knows everyone...somehow. It is fun, though. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am either studying like crazy, or partying with friends after the square. We like to take the boat out on wknds, or float the river. We also bowl a lot, because it's fun for everyone. We sometimes go to the Hill country for wine tasting fairs. Austin is what most party'ers do on the wknd. 6th street is the hot spot. Frats and sororities are popular if you need them to be. I'm not in one, but have tons of friends and roomies who are. They're not so bad. Off campus we eat out a lot and hang out. Wine nights with the girls every Wed!

I lived in the dorms for my first two years at TxState. We are required to live on campus until we have 56 hours or are 21 years old. During the first year, I loved it. Some of my best friends today were my dorm mates, girls and guys. I was in a program called "Residential College," wherein students were enrolled in the same classes as their neighbors, got first pick at the most highly recommended professors and we also shared the cost of books. In order to be in the program, all you had to do was write an essay and do 10 hours of community service, which I did with my roomie at the animal shelter. We left our doors open all the time so it was like having 30 brothers and sisters who were a blast to hang out with. There were some scandals and , hook ups and dramas, too, which made dorm life even more fun. The second dorm I lived in was not as much fun. It was farther away from Central Campus, so I had to wake up early enough to bus to class (busses and parking are the absolute worst part of TxState). And even though I had a shower in the room at this dorm, I also had two roommates and a bunk bed. I thought I would only have one, but due to overcrowding, they stuck extra beds in the rooms and a week before school started we got a surprise e mail saying we would be living in closer quarters than we thought... sorry.

Carly

very social, very big Greek community

The easiest way to put it is that there is never a shortage of something to do here. You are either in school, or you are with friends hanging out at one of the many late night places to hang and have a drink.

Joiniing Alpha Xi Delta was one of the best things I have done while in college. As a freshman it gave me a chance to meet ton of people and feel like a part of something on campus. It also offered me invaluable leadership and teamwork experience. Tuesday is a good night to go out. Many of the sororities/fraternities are dressed up for meetings so they all go out afterwards. My boss scheduled me to work at 8am on Wed. so that puts a damper on Tuesday night fun for me so plan your schedule accordingly. Thursdays are the night to go out now that there are no Friday classes. Floating the river is the best thing to do off campus. You can float in San Marcos or drive to New Braunfels to go on the Guadalupe or Comal.

I am personally involved in a Greek organization and believe it to be the best way to get involved at Texas State. We offer a home away from home atmosphere with many benefits to help you succeed at Texas State and make lifelong friends in the process.

I can't comment on a lot of this. The football games are a blast... the Theater department is fantastic... I have only seen a few guest speakers...

Guest speakers and events are pretty popular on campus and there is always something going on here. There is a larger number of girls than guys here on campus. And as much as we trying to shake the party school stigma, it just isn't going to happen. Thursday nights are huge party nights around here and you will always find some party going on somewhere. The Square is very popular for students because of the many cheap bars, cafes, and restaurants. Frats and sororities are pretty big on campus also. The outlet malls are No. 3 in the nation and are very nice and have many designer stores. And then there is the river. The river provides fun and relaxation for the students. You can jump right in and swim or tube and kayak. With the water a cool 72 degrees all year it is a nice feature for the school and the town.

Toby

Greek life opens lots of doors to a great social and academic experience. I always lock my door guess being from Houston its in my nature. Guest speakers?-obama, spike lee, dane cook, maya angelou ....many more dating scence?- don't know but sure theres is one awake at 2 am on tuesday- cramming for wed. test or drinking at a buddy's partying- 24/7 for some last weekend- river pub...6th street austin...san antonio sat night and not drinking- bowling, movies, or just chillin off campus- outlets, any water sport

Sports are popular! Greek life is popular! More... More... Senior Resident Assistant- I am the head RA of Blanco Hall Students In Free Enterprise- I am a leader in SIFE, a business orginzation on campus geared in helping out in the community, nation, and world! Zeta Tau Alpha- my sorority, we lead with PINK OUT on campus every year to teach people about breast cancer education and awareness! Ally- we support the LGBT community on campus! Yes, many of the halls on campus have an open door policy. I leave my door open all the time so people know when I am in my room, and they can stop by and talk! The sports events are always fun to attend! and its FREE! We have many great guest speakers that attend our university every year! Our theater department is AMAZING! I loved going to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show and Chorus Line!!! The dating scene is good at Texas State! I met my closest friends through getting involved with activities, being an RA, my sorority, and other organizations! I am on my computer, watching TV, leaving 6th street in ATX, or eating at Taco Cabana! REC JAM-> beginning of the year at Sewell!!! RIVERFEST-> its amazing! MUSIC, FOOD, and FUN! People party when people want to party. If you want to go out every night, no one is stopping you, if you don't ever want to go out, you don't have to! I feel fraternities and sororities are a great way to get involved not only with the university but in the community too! Its a great way to meet people, life long friendships and a fun way to have SAFE FUN! Last week I took one Exam, that I got an A on. Attended 2 staff meetings at Blanco. Attended 1 sorority meeting. Studied at the library 4 hours. Don't like drinking, go see a band play on the square or Cheatham Street Warehouse. Go out to eat, visit with friends, go to the movies, see bands play, etc!

Meggie

Football is becoming more and more popular. Our tailgates are always packed and are set up the night before because people are so excited! Greek Life is a big scene on campus. In the business school, I am an officer for SIFE, Students in Free Enterprise. SIFE is a global, non-profit organization that is literally changing the world through highly dedicated student teams on more than 1600 university campuses in 40 countries. SIFE offers these students the opportunity to develop leadership, teamwork and communication skills through learning, practicing and teaching the principles of free enterprise, thereby improving the standard of living for millions in the process. Guided by distinguished faculty advisors and supported by businesses around the globe, SIFE Teams teach important concepts through educational outreach projects, including market economics, entrepreneurship, personal and financial success, and business ethics to better themselves, their communities and their countries. Each year, SIFE competitions are held worldwide, drawing together thousands of students and business leaders to pay tribute to these extraordinary educational outreach projects. SIFE has been helping others achieve their dreams through free enterprise education for more than 25 years. Today SIFE is the world’s preeminent and largest university-based free enterprise organization. Our team has been Regional Champions since 1997 and are going to Nationals again this year. In 2000, we were the international champions! This organization is really like a family. There are many friends to be made and so many opportuniteis to network with some of the best companies out there. Mrs. West is our advisor is she is simply amazing!!

Angel

I am involved in alot of activities on campus. I met alot of friends that way. As a freshman I suggest living in a dorm because it's a great way to meet people. Theres plenty of places and things to do around the dorms also that don't involve booze. The square is full of quirky little hangouts for everyone of all tastes.

Arielle

The groups I've been blessed to become an active part of are Mu Epsilon Theta and Bobcat Awakenings. METheta is a Catholic Service sorority, open to all Christian women enrolled at Texas State. It is an amazing group of girls who are so individual and unique and open to sharing their own beliefs and experiences and hearing others. It's taught me so much about my faith and growing as a woman of God as well as relying on those around me. Bobcat Awakenings are a Catholic based retreat but open to all students. Most that attend are Christian, but it's awesome to see those that attend that have no affliation with the Christian faith other than a friend or two. It's a weekend long and is held every semester and totally student led by students involved at the Catholic Student Center.

matt!

I think the fraternity/sorority system plays a huge role at Texas State. I was not involoved in one, but I did party with all of them really. I didn't really notice any tension between them either. They all just kinda get along... Dorm-life is awesome. My two years in the dorm were great. We always had an open door policy, that's how you meet people. Both years we basically ran the dorm. People still talk about us in Jackson... If I am awake at 2am on a tuesday, which I usually was, I am either partying or just hanging out with my friends/roommates doing nothing at all...Tailgating is becoming a bigger event. There is also Riverfest where SACA puts on a concert full of Texas Country artists. In Austin there is a huge music festival, South By Southwest. River Raft Race is awesome. Thousands of Texas Staterss float down the river in New Braunfels on a saturday in April... Off campus I worked, went to the pool, went to 5 Mile, Little Arkansas, Moon Rock, Don's Fish Camp, played volleyball... I'd do anything it didn't matter... I live in Houston now, but still go back to San Marcos every couple weeks. Last weekend I was there and I went to the bars on friday night, went to the mall saturday, saturday night I went and saw my friend's band play at Gordo's then went out to the bars. Oh and I went SKYDIVING saturday morning!

Toby

The Greek organizations on campus are huge. I am sorda bias to my organization, thinking there well, amazing. I am in SWAT, it' provides FREE rides home to students under the influence, as long as they are anywhere in the San Marcos Area. I'm also involved in Public Relations Student Society of America, this a wonderful organization for getting network experience and finding out what you really want to do in the PR world. American Red Cross Club is a great service organization as well is Relay for Life. Guest Speakers are pretty big especially lately with the elections in the past couple weeks, we have had: Ted Kennedy, Obama, Chelsea Clinton, Bill Clinton, and Kate Walsh.

Brandi

There are a few popular Fraternities and Sororities. Athletics and the arts are big on campus. I'm involved with an honors/service co-ed Fraternity based in the Theatre Department called Alpha Psi Omega, a social LGBT group: Lambda of Texas State and the sister activist organization, Bobcat Equality Alliance. I did not live in the dorms at Texas State. Everything is popular. Everyone is different. I met my closest friends through organizations. I'm usually sleeping at 2am on a Tuesday. I don't know. Everyone is different. They're huge. I worked. Many things; go meet people, bowling, there's the river, etc. I live off campus.

Riley

Most popular clubs are by far the greek life. It seems EVERYONE wants to be in a sorority or frat. I don't get it personally. I don't see how they benefit anything. Maybe that's because I'm not part of one, but then again, I don't see them as being "accepting" to transgender people. Since it's so binary "guys/frats", "girls/sorority"..what about people that don't fit either gender role? I have no clue about dorms, since I don't live in one. Football events are big here. I still haven't been to a game though. I met my closest friends here. I don't think I'd date anyone here though. I am always awake at 2am on a Tuesday. I'm usually working on homework, doing a chapter review of some sort or researching or working on an abstract or case study. My major is very intense. Bobcat Ball is a tradition here put on by my group..Lambda. It's a professional drag show put on at an off campus location and it's fun, and friendly, and even straight people come out to see it. We do a theme and everyone dresses up and we decorate and stuff. It's fun. We also do PAWS preview for potential freshmen and transfer students. There's also Bobcat Days which give everyone potentially coming here a glimpse of Texas State. What I do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking..well, I've been out to political events in Austin with our Bobcat Equality Alliance group. I've went with friends to BDSM parties up in Austin, I go out to coffeeshops, I go to karaoke (that's usually on Wednesdays though), and there are religious groups forming here during the week on campus too. This last weekend, I went with a friend to a BDSM party near Austin. I also attended an "alternative's" dinner for people out of the mainstream..like people who are into kinky lifestyles, BDSM, polyamory, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/, emo, goth, whatever...all welcome. One of the friends that I made here at Tx State started doing it as a monthly event, and it's grown pretty well.

Most popular groups are probably club sports teams and honors organizations. I am the PR Secretary for GTU - Gamma Theta Upsilon Geographic Honors Society. We do service events and graduate with honoers. If we go on to a government job we will be paid more because we are recognized by the national chapter. I am also in the NAEP - National Association of Environmental Professionals. We organize events like Bike to School Day and Texas State Recycles Day and try to get the word out / act on getting the environment in shape. Students leave their dorm room doors open, I have done it PLENTY of times and nothing happened, not that I recommend it. Athletic events need some working on, UT sucks away are team spirit. We have tons of guest speakers (Ted Kennedy came last week and Barack Obama is coming tomorrow). My closest friends are from TXST. I met my roommate on the first day of school and we have lived together for 3 years now. I am never awake at 2am on a Tuesday, if I am I am laying in bed trying to fall asleep. People party non stop here. It is great. I feel like we are pretty well balanced. We know how to have a good time and when to get serious. We even got it changed so we don't have school on Fridays because no one came to class. The weekends here start on Thursday. We have the river running right through campus so you can always lay out or tube, just have a good time.

The University Star, our campus newspaper, is very popular and widely available throughout San Marcos. I have been involved with the campus radio station, KTSW-89.9 FM, and unfortunately, I don't think many people on campus even know about it. I try to promote it every chance I get because its such a great outlet for independent and aspiring artists. Athletic events other than football do not seem to draw as much attention as they should. We have guest speakers on campus all the time, whether they are AIDS victims from Africa, a philosopher or poet, or a prominent political figure. It really is a special and eye-opening experience. There are also several notable media experts that speak at our school during Mass Communication Week, an annual event that I always find rewarding. I met my closest friends (my former neighbors) in the dorms. Texas State requires you to live on campus for two years, or until you reach a certain # of credits. I lived in an all-female dorm my freshman year, which was pretty horrible, but I wouldn't change a thing. People were either ALWAYS in their rooms, or always out. Dorms can be and are an awesome way to meet people if you're in the right environment. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm probably fretting over an art project due the next day. If people aren't drinking on a Saturday night, they might be at the local coffee shops, movie theater, or couple of music venues around town. If they can't find anything to do in San Marcos, they'll probably drive 30 minutes to Austin.